Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

How does one counteract the omnipotent paradox?

BDP3300

I was online the other day, and happened to find a website that said something to the extent of this--

Omnipotent paradox, in short; What if God is to create a rock that is so heavy, that not even he can move it? If he does that, then he is no longer omnipotent, be cause he cannot move the rock. If he does move the rock, then he is no longer omnipotent, because he cannot create a rock that is too heavy for him to move.

I thought about it for a while, and didn't see any way around it. I knew there must be a solution, but I could not find it. Any y'all got opinions, comments, etc.

This works for me...

Pro 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

Tit 3:9 But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

God is infinite, He is limitless and that includes wisdom and intelligence. There are things He will not do and cannot do...

Tit 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

This does not limit God, it exemplifies His limitless perfect character. Same with the foolish question over the rock.

By the way, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Last edited by a moderator:
the true God cannot create such a thing which He cannot move, so He can everything good, but within His administrative position of God, so He is absolutely omnipotent

Blessings

Just another statement where we try to shove God into a box. God exists outside of our reality and is entirely omnipotent. We are not meant to understand this, just accept it.

Thanks! All of those responses are quite satisfactory, and although they may vary, they all agree with each other. That always drives the point in deeper for me, seeing the same message in multiple places.

The real question is...who decided God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent? Where do those 3 beliefs come from?

For me it is a rhetorical question, but for others, go do some research and dig a little, instead of repeating verbal tradition without understanding the history behind it.

:chin

The real question is...who decided God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent? Where do those 3 beliefs come from?

For me it is a rhetorical question, but for others, go do some research and dig a little, instead of repeating verbal tradition without understanding the history behind it.

What are you referring to as "verbal tradition?"

From God. It's in the Bible.

From God. It's in the Bible.

Actually, no where in the Bible does God come out and say that He is omnipotent, omniscient or omnipresent. There are verses that imply it, or a human figure from the Bible might indicate it, but God never makes such a claim.

The point was to go explore the Bible and understand where the belief comes from.

Actually, no where in the Bible does God come out and say that He is omnipotent, omniscient or omnipresent. There are verses that imply it, or a human figure from the Bible might indicate it, but God never makes such a claim.

The point was to go explore the Bible and understand where the belief comes from.

So, you agree that it is in the bible, and since everything in the bible is God breathed, then He is the one conveying the message that He is omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient.

Genesis 18.14; Job 37.16; Psalm 90.1-2; Psalm 139.4; Psalm 147.5; Isaiah 46.9; Matthew 19.26; Matthew 28.20; 1 John 3.19-20

I agree that the implications are in the Bible.

What I am about to say will not be readily accepted by many, but here it is...

Every word in the Bible was written by human hands. Yes, all SCRIPTURE was breathed out [influenced, inspired] by God, as evident in 2 Timothy 3:16 NASB. But not everything in the Bible is SCRIPTURE.

Scripture refers to the sacred writings and teachings of the Bible, but not everything in the Bible is a sacred writing or a teaching. The mistake that so many people make is to assume that Scripture refers to every word in the Bible, but it doesn't, no matter how badly you want it to.

Take Isaiah 14:12 NASB for example. That's not a sacred writing, even though it is on a sacred OT scroll. Nor is it a teaching point from God. It is simply the Prophet Isaiah mocking the fallen Babylonian king, after years of oppression and mistreatment toward the Hebrew people. It's the same idea behind "Ha! Take that! Yeah, we saw who got the last laugh! In your face! You got owned!" Isaiah was venting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Every word in the Bible was written by human hands. Yes, all SCRIPTURE was breather out [influenced, inspired] by God, as evident in 2 Timothy 3:16 NASB. But not everything in the Bible is SCRIPTURE.

Scripture refers to the sacred writings and teachings of the Bible, but not everything in the Bible is a sacred writing or a teaching. The mistake that so many people make is to assume that Scripture refers to every word in the Bible, but it doesn't, no matter how badly you want it to.

Take Isaiah 14:12 NASB for example. That's not a sacred writing, even though it is on a sacred OT scroll. Nor is it a teaching point from God. It is simply the Prophet Isaiah mocking the fallen Babylonian king, after years of oppression and mistreatment toward the Hebrew people. It's the same idea behind "Ha! Take that! Yeah, we saw who got the last laugh! In your face! You got owned!" Isaiah was venting.

I guess that is one way to contradict yourself when conveying your false doctrines. Way to go.

Genesis 18.14; Job 37.16; Psalm 90.1-2; Psalm 139.4; Psalm 147.5; Isaiah 46.9; Matthew 19.26; Matthew 28.20; 1 John 3.19-20

Implied. I already stated several verses implied those beliefs.

I guess that is one way to contradict yourself when conveying your false doctrines. Way to go.

2.5: Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself.

It is a violation to misquote or misrepresent another member.

2.5: Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself.

Neither has occurred. But thanks for pointing it out.

Sensitivity to the honor of God when discussing His Biblically attested attributes is also very, very strongly implied.

(I prefer for this reason to bow out of this discussion.)

Every word in the Bible was written by human hands. Yes, all SCRIPTURE was breathed out [influenced, inspired] by God, as evident in 2 Timothy 3:16 NASB. But not everything in the Bible is SCRIPTURE.

Hi Van,

Just trying to see where you are coming from. How did you come to the conclusion that Isa 14:12 is not a sacred writing?

What do you think about Eze 28:11-16 ?

Do you think John 13:27 is true?

In Isaiah and Ezekiel Do you think that maybe the Lord was talking to the kings personally and personally to the power behind the kings.(Satan)

Back