Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How Israel Broke the Covenant of the Law

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Now Israel.

The straw that broke the camels back LOL.

Israel tried to get out from under the punishment for their sins. In Ezekiel 17:15 the King tried to hire Egypt to undo the punishment the Law demanded (dispersion / captivity). Now this is after Israel entered a covenant with the Eagle and god (god behind the scene was insulted when II Chronicles 7:19-20 was not accepted as their punishment). God had even promised sanctuary in their dispersion, and the seeking of Egypt stopped the good deal and caused worse punishment.

We have Israel breaking covenant in Ezekiel 17:16 and now the King will die in captivity (lost sanctuary).

Ezekiel 17:24 shows that a dry tree would flourish instead of the green ( IMHO this is speaking of the work Jesus is doing / will be doing in the restoration).

So Israel broke covenant by trying to escape punishment they deserved, by having practiced idolatry.

The Law demands certain things; which Israel broke.

Now we understand why David had a heart after God (compared to Israel in the book of Ezekiel).

eddif

With the covenant broken ( from the heart ?) Jesus has to accept the suffering Israel refused.

eddif

Where does that leave us today? We can not just decide to reject the suffering done by Jesus.

Hebrews 2:3
How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

It is turned around, but:
Hebrews 12:8
But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

Jew and Gentile alike; now need to receive the sanctuary provided for his people. The new and better covenant does not have us in dispersion, but at the right hand of God through Jesus Christ our Lord ( let us not reject the punishment forgiveness provided).

I Corinthians 15;17
And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.

Today we need to study the new covenant and follow it. The 1st covenant was broken. Let us not now find ourselves rejecting the new and better covenant. Everyone should encourage and teach so that this great salvation will be accepted, and not rejected.

Covenants are to be followed. There has been a change.

eddif

Isaiah 53:2
For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Isaiah 53:3
He was not esteemed

Isaiah 53:4
He has born our griefs, and carried our sorrows.

Isaiah 53:5
The chastisement was on him

The rest of Isaiah 53 supports our salvation in Jesus.

eddif

I always thought Israel simply sinned. Come to find out I am just a Mississippi redneck with no knowledge at all.

Ok show me how little I knew. Just knock this thread in the head; by explaining what happened.

eddif

Why a new covenant was made? God found fault with the people. God made a new covenant just as He foretold. Otherwise the whole nation would have perished. (curses and blessings) And in regard to the gentiles, (at that time), God had left their sins unpunished.

All have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God. God so loved the world.....

With light comes accountability to all. So in a sense the new Covenant preached to the whole world also has blessings (eternal life) and curses (not free to sin).

"Here is my servant whom I have chosen, the one I love, in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him (Jesus), and he will proclaim justice to the nations.

Randy

Why a new covenant was made? God found fault with the people. God made a new covenant just as He foretold. Otherwise the whole nation would have perished. (curses and blessings) And in regard to the gentiles, (at that time), God had left their sins unpunished.

With light comes accountability to all. So in a sense the new Covenant preached to the whole world also has blessings (eternal life) and curses (not free to sin).

"Here is my servant whom I have chosen, the one I love, in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him (Jesus), and he will proclaim justice to the nations.

Randy
Randy
Welcome to the discussion.
Now begins the work of refining the differences and similarities between the two covenants.

I will be glad to work with you on the details. I am sure that I will seem stubborn at times. I hope if you are right, you will stick with the truth.

Isaiah 1:18
Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Yes all things that are to happen are revealed to the prophets.

I have more comments on your post for later.

eddif

Randy
Galatians 3:13
Jesus became a curse for us and redeemed us from the curse of the law.
The law brought death.

The new covenant brought life. Even discipline in the NT is designed to restore.

eddif

About the time I think I can relax in my arrogance the Holy Spirit gets active. Sometimes it is with compassion, but other times there is a little fear to be felt. This time it was a broadside of information that is just way beyond what I have ever thought about. I have an interest in Jews that goes way beyond the normal Gentile way of thinking. I have a job that has been placed on gentiles. Make the Jews jealous and receive their anger. So I wind up doing some praying that is only going to get me in trouble. LOL

Every one may know the answer to this thread but me. I have wondered about King David and his heart after
God. This thread really can speak to that subject in a most interesting way. As can at least one of Job's statements (it matters not the timeframe of Job in one sense). Statements can jump across time.

I want the discussion to be low key, but with passion.

I will give hints if needed.

eddif

Great topic for discussion!

I would like to stimulate your mind to think about some things that you may or may not have considered about this topic.

I hope to receive from you some insight that I may not have thought of before, as well.

The reason the law was added to the Abrahamic Covenant, in the first place, was because of transgression of the covenant requirement or law.

What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator.
Galatians 3:19

Abraham obeyed this primary requirement, that enabled him to keep the laws and commandments of God, so that this testimony was made concerning Abraham to Abraham's son -

4 And I will make your descendants multiply as the stars of heaven; I will give to your descendants all these lands; and in your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed; 5 because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws." Genesis 26:4-5

The law was added for the reason of transgression... until.

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back