Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many sermons have you listened to?

Jasongab

I was not a Christian previously. I only join church in 2021.

I attended church regularly because the church was near my place so I attended almost every week. So from 2021 to 2023, I think I attended around 70 services.

I binge watch online sermons and I think I covered around 200 sermons.

So overall, I listened to around 270 sermons, not counting cell group activities or other events.

How about you?

It isn't a contest so the number is really immaterial. But, to humor you, I guess if I was to add them up, since I hear a sermon every time I attend a worship service, with the exception of about 10 years when I didn't attend worship services and throwing out the first 15 years when I was a kid, I could round it off to somewhere around 360 per year for 40 years. Doing the math that adds up to somewhere around 14,400 give or take.

It isn't a contest so the number is really immaterial. But, to humor you, I guess if I was to add them up, since I hear a sermon every time I attend a worship service, with the exception of about 10 years when I didn't attend worship services and throwing out the first 15 years when I was a kid, I could round it off to somewhere around 360 per year for 40 years. Doing the math that adds up to somewhere around 14,400 give or take.
wow why do you have so many sermons per year? Are you a pastor?
360 sermons per year...that's almost 1 sermon daily...7 sermons per week.

Several hundred at least. It was every Wednesday back in the day. They didn't have anything particularly interesting to say, but I didn't know that back then. Otherwise I would have used the opportunity to catch up on some much needed sleep.

wow why do you have so many sermons per year? Are you a pastor?
360 sermons per year...that's almost 1 sermon daily...7 sermons per week.
:lol Good grief! Should have been about 50 per year for 40 years so 2,000 give or take.

Yeah I know it's not a number contest.
I am also a fairly new Christian so I know my numbers are on the low side. So just looking around to see how many sermons people actually listened to.

What if you don't listen to them because you feel that you can get more simply out of reading the bible rather than listening to someone's interpretation of it?

I speak, of course, of the prosperity preacher kings like Osteen and others. Funny, I don't see Ray Comfort or Kirk Cameron rolling around in Maseratis and living in 4,000 sq foot mansions.

What if you don't listen to them because you feel that you can get more simply out of reading the bible rather than listening to someone's interpretation of it?
And you improve your reading comprehension at the same time.

I speak, of course, of the prosperity preacher kings like Osteen and others. Funny, I don't see Ray Comfort or Kirk Cameron rolling around in Maseratis and living in 4,000 sq foot mansions.
Ray Comfort, the banana man. I dare say he's created more atheists than all of the other televangelists combined. He's worth an estimated $16 million, by the way.

Ray Comfort, the banana man. I dare say he's created more atheists than all of the other televangelists combined. He's worth an estimated $16 million, by the way.
At least he's not going around promising people that if they just "claim it," God will give it to them. And what's wrong with Ray's style? I thought his study bible was rather neat and insightful for a lot of things.

16 mill?
He is great at getting people to admit they need a Savior, but then he just leaves folks without the means of salvation.

Sorry...off topic.

lmfao "NSFW?" For whom? Atheists? 🤣

Also, in what way has he taken advantage of people? If you're not intellectually equipped to defend yourself against the vagaries of life, earth-living might not be for you. lol There's nothing complicated about the gospel, or using the fear of God to build up faith. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom because it is a frightful thing to fall into His hands from stumbling over sin.

The way I look at it, Ray doesn't really preach false promises of "pray away the poverty," and that he's worth as much as he is means little since he's usually always on the road because he's itenerant. A workman is worthy of his wages. Osteen, on the other hand, I've never seen outside of his pulpit, and then there's the whole, "We can't take them in!" attitude he had during Hurricane whatchadammit.

Honestly, I'm kind of burnt out on all of them. Even Jack Van Impe and Rexella and their midnight court on public access television. I'm ready to see some biblical hellfire and damnation raining down on these modern-day pharaohs. Hope deferred makes the heart sick.

lmfao "NSFW?" For whom? Atheists? 🤣
For anyone that watches it. Lol.

Also, in what way has he taken advantage of people?
He puts a camera in their faces and asks then questions from a script. He gets them to admit to having broken the ten commandments. Then he tells them to go get saved. I don't think believe that accusing people of something is the way to get them to question the nature of their existence.

The way I look at it, Ray doesn't really preach false promises of "pray away the poverty," and that he's worth as much as he is means little since he's usually always on the road because he's itenerant. A workman is worthy of his wages. Osteen, on the other hand, I've never seen outside of his pulpit, and then there's the whole, "We can't take them in!" attitude he had during Hurricane whatchadammit.
That's true. He's not as bad as Olsteen and others.

Honestly, I'm kind of burnt out on all of them. Even Jack Van Impe and Rexella and their midnight court on public access television. I'm ready to see some biblical hellfire and damnation raining down on these modern-day pharaohs. Hope deferred makes the heart sick.
Don't be so quick to wish for the judgment of others.

Don't be so quick to wish for the judgment of others.
This is true.

I also think there's more that goes on off-camera for Comfort. After all, he does tell them how to be saved by believing in Christ and why. I also think that he's trying to condense it down so whereas normally, it would take hours of conversation, he's doing it in fifteen minutes for production purposes.

This is true.

I also think there's more that goes on off-camera for Comfort. After all, he does tell them how to be saved by believing in Christ and why. I also think that he's trying to condense it down so whereas normally, it would take hours of conversation, he's doing it in fifteen minutes for production purposes.
It reminds me of those YouTube personalities that go around asking people questions they're unlikely to know the answers to in order to make them look stupid or to make the questioner look more intelligent than they really are. If he is sincere, and maybe he is, then I think it's a problem with the way the show is structured.

I much prefer having a conversation with someone. That's when both parties can be sincere and there is no struggle. Sort of like we're doing now. There is no script to worry about. This is why Joe Rogan is so popular. Two guys sitting at a table talking about stuff completely off the cuff. Try pitching that idea to a movie executive and they'd laugh you out of the room because they don't understand the power of conversation and the genuine exchange of ideas.

I was not a Christian previously. I only join church in 2021.

I attended church regularly because the church was near my place so I attended almost every week. So from 2021 to 2023, I think I attended around 70 services.

I binge watch online sermons and I think I covered around 200 sermons.

So overall, I listened to around 270 sermons, not counting cell group activities or other events.

How about you?
Hey Jasongab

Praise God!!!! I remember my first few years. Wow! They were pretty great, but I've had my stumbles.

I use the site 'oneplace.com' to find good teachers and messages. One of my favorites is always "Love Worth Finding" by brother Adrian Rogers. What a homesy teacher he was. Had that perfect drawl that would sound so sincere and you could just hear that he loved the Lord Jesus in every word out of his mouth. If there is anyone I fully expect to see in the new heaven and earth, brother Billy Graham and Adrian Rogers will be there.

You'll find about a hundred, I think, teachers on there and it's got pretty much everything for every christian taste.

Keep the faith, brother.

God bless,
Ted

Hey, and if I might suggest some good music suggestions, have you heard some of the stuff by Charity Gayle?

Really good praise, worship and thankfulness for what he has done.

God bless,
Ted

Shout Jesus from the mountain, Jesus in the streets
Jesus in the darkness over every enemy.
Jesus for my family!!!
I speak the Holy name of Jesus.

Back