Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How should we make decisions?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

handy

Lewis' thread on cremation, the thread on music in worship and the threads on hunting and eating meat have brought up the issue of how Christians should make decisions on things that are not either commanded nor condemned.

Various people have various ideas.

One such idea is that as long as the Bible has never condemned anything...then it's OK. Some will even take this a step further and state that as long as Jesus Himself didn't condemn it, it's OK.

Another idea is that unless the Bible specifically tells us to do something...then we shouldn't.

For instance...the idea that there should be no musical instruments during worship services...even though they were clearly a part of Old Testament worship...because the New Testament never specifically mentions musical instruments. Or we shouldn't be cremated because no one in the Bible was.

Others take a "spirit but not the letter of the law" approach...someone who looks at things this way will make a decision based more upon what they believe the principles found in the Bible teach, rather than just what the Bible actually says. You will find this approach when folks are debating ideas such as smoking pot or abortions, neither of which are mentioned in the Bible.

I usually go along with the "spirit of the law" idea...that we use the Bible to look at the principles that are taught and apply them to our lives. In matters in which there were once laws, but then are not mentioned beyond the OT, I usually find a great deal of freedom for the Christian...but still plenty to put perimeters on behavior.

For instance, in my home, Steve and I often discuss the ethics of copying CD's and DVD's. We have Netflixs and so get DVD's a lot. Steve would like for me to copy movies that we really like. I won't do it, because I feel it violates the commandment of stealing. It is the gainful employment of others to produce those DVD's. Netflixs pays them a rate based upon the rental of the DVD, but not the sale of it. One pays a different rate if one purchases it. Now, once I purchase a CD or DVD, I don't mind copying the thing for personal use...for instance I purchase music on-line and then will download it onto my kid's mp3s and onto a disk for my husband's truck. I believe I've purchased it, paid the producer's their wage...and am just using it for my family. However, I wouldn't purchase it, and then make endless copies to hand out to friends and others free of charge, because again, then the producers are being ripped off.

This is just an example of how I see looking at the principles laid forth in Scripture can be applied to something that isn't mentioned in the Bible.

My own opinion is that it's not wise to go with either the "Only if the Bible says so" or the "If the Bible doesn't say no, then go ahead" approach because there are a lot of ethical dilemmas that were never dealt with in Scripture. The first can lead to way too much legalism and the latter can lead to way to much license.

Thoughts?

I like your "spirit of the law approach." I think that's pretty much the approach I took in a decision I made recently, and its worked out well. I think "only if the Bible says so" leads to an undue restriction of the freedom we have in Christ. I also think that the "unless the Bible (or Jesus himself) says No" approach is lacking. Either way you're using the Bible as a rule book when really its more of a guide book; it gives you principle and concepts to work with so you can try to live out a godly existence. That's my take on it, anyway.

Not a question of "Ethics" -

"ethics of copying CD's and DVD's."

Actually "Ethics" have nothing to do with it.

The simple fact is that EVERYTHING produced in 2011 in the U.S. HAS a copyright automatically - whether it's a CD, a tape, a piece of writing, a picture, a mechanical design, or a piece of music.

And if you copy it FOR ANY PURPOSE without the specific permission of the Copyright OWNER - you're breaking the law - simple as that.

In fact "Happy Birthday to you" is a copywritten piece of music, and under U.S. law, you can't "legally" sing it at a birthday party without the specific permission of the copyright holder. Personally, I won't be worrying about that any time soon.

There IS a specific waver of copyrights in the case of Religious services performed in venues specifically for worship. Copywritten religious material can be performed - but NOT RECORDED - and another somewhat controversial waver dealing with copywritten materials used exclusively for "educational purposes".

I'm in a bluegrass band, and every time we play/sing a copywritten song (Like "Fox on the Run", or "Flint Hill Special") in public or otherwise, we're breaking the law, and we KNOW IT, and frankly Scarlett - we don't really care.

And nobody ELSE really cares either - since it's all about the money. Chances are that you'll never be "charged" unless you perform in a business venue, and somebody complains. We used to play in a sandwich shop on Garland,TX Square - until the owner of the shop got a "Cease and desist" order from ASCAP (because the "Big "G" Jamboree" music hall next door complained).

SO basically in the U.S. in 2011, it's almost impossible NOT to be a lawbreaker, unless you NEVER make use of materials that weren't SPECIFICALLY created by YOU. But unless you actually make "serious money" (enough so that somebody else wants a "Piece of it") doing whatever you're doing - nobody really cares in most cases.

Trivia -
The opening song on the movie "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" is a traditional Public domain "Work Shout" called "Po' Lazarus". It's an actual recording of a chain gang in the Mississippi State penitentiary from the late '50s. The "Singing group" is listed as "James Carter, and the prisoners".

James Carter WAS a "Prisoner" on the chain gang, who happened to be leading the singing the day a folk historian recorded him.

SO automatically the "James Carter" version of "Po' Lazarus" has a Copyright owned by him, and as the title cut of a multiple platinum sound track album - some SERIOUS ca$h value - which James Carter (when they found him) received. He died in 2003 - but the copyright (Because of Sonny Bono's efforts in 1978) will be valid until the year 2073.

Bob,

Though the thread really isn't about the specific ethics of copying CDs/DVD this particular issue is a good one to flesh out how to make decisions.

Because you're right...when it comes to the letter of the law, no copying is legal, period. The whole thing of "I've bought and downloaded the song, so I'll copy it to my husband's CD and my kids mp3 player really doesn't stand up to the letter of the law. But, is it truly unethical?

I don't think so...no more unethical than singing Happy Birthday to someone. As you say, I don't think the feds will be busting down my door because I copied "Sunburn" onto both Viola's and Thomas' mp3s and Steve's CD. The copyright laws are in place so that artists and creators can be paid for their work. Adam Young did indeed get paid, because I did buy the download. (As I'd want him to be, because I love his work and want him to be successful and make more music. 'Sides, we insomniacs gotta stick together!)

So, what do others think? Am I teaching my kids to sin by downloading a purchased song on both of their mp3s?

How do others make these kinds of decisions?

1Cor 10:23

All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.

When I make decisions, this is the Christian tools that I use, quality questions, such as:

1. What would Jesus and the Disciples do in this situation?

2. How would Jesus and the Disciples handle this situation?

3. If Jesus and the Disciples were presented with this situation, what would they say or do?

4. Check for similar experiences in Bible and see what God teaches about it.

Bob,

Though the thread really isn't about the specific ethics of copying CDs/DVD this particular issue is a good one to flesh out how to make decisions.

Because you're right...when it comes to the letter of the law, no copying is legal, period. The whole thing of "I've bought and downloaded the song, so I'll copy it to my husband's CD and my kids mp3 player really doesn't stand up to the letter of the law. But, is it truly unethical?

I don't think so...no more unethical than singing Happy Birthday to someone. As you say, I don't think the feds will be busting down my door because I copied "Sunburn" onto both Viola's and Thomas' mp3s and Steve's CD. The copyright laws are in place so that artists and creators can be paid for their work. Adam Young did indeed get paid, because I did buy the download. (As I'd want him to be, because I love his work and want him to be successful and make more music. 'Sides, we insomniacs gotta stick together!)

So, what do others think? Am I teaching my kids to sin by downloading a purchased song on both of their mp3s?

How do others make these kinds of decisions?

People who copy (c) DVD's and CD's are criminals, no doubt about it! It's THEFT and STEALING and ILLEGAL!

Many people work very hard on creating music, movies etc to feed their families and to survive. They go to work and work hard to make a living. And then people copy their material illegally and steal money from their future profits!

If a Christian copies (c) music, movies etc, then they are not a sincere born again Christian and lack ethics and morals and values and are nothing more than immoral and unethical thieves.:bigfrown

Would Jesus copy (c) movies and music? Yes or No? Well we both know the answer, because Jesus would respect the hard work people put into these things and Jesus would never steal someone's (c) material and illegally copy them, which is clearly stated on the DVD's and CD's that it's illegal to reproduce.

People have to make a choice.. follow Jesus or not!

I actually produce and write music. While I would love to make a living at it, I do not believe I ever will. As of yet I have poured way more money and effort into it than I will probably ever get back. The Truth is I don't care about the money. While I certainly can appreciate Handys' ethics in caring about others' ability to make money, I would give my music away and be thankful that anyone even desired to listen to it.

I am convinced we all steal in some manner, and also that we are all stolen from in some manner. In Christ, my decision is not to fret about it either way. God sees all, and if I stole more than was stolen from me, it will be my pleasure to pay recompense as I do see the need for justice. But if I was stolen from more than I stole, I would still be the same whether someone paid it back to me or not. To remain thankful in all things and keep the light burning through all trials and tribulation is the primary goal. The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. That to me is following the Spirit, not the letter.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back