Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How to ask my pastor?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

ch1719

What is the best way to ask my pastor how my monetary contributions are being spent? Or is this something that would be inappropriate to ask?

I'm asking because I want to significantly increase my contributions to my church, and, like all major purchases/investments in my life, I like to have a good understanding of where the money is going.

So, if it's not an inappropriate question to ask a pastor, what is the best way to approach it? I plan on emailing him the question, and just want to know how to word it in a way that doesn't come off as me just being nosy.

Thanks for your help!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

In our church the congregation manages the church finances. Our church council has the authority to make minor decisions throughout the year but the pastor's salary and benefits, benevolences, and other major expenditures are brought to the annual congregational meeting for decision.

If yours is managed in similar fashion, you might be better off talking to your church's treasurer. As a member of the congregation you should be aware of how the finances are handled.​

Thanks for your response. I should clarify: Our church is about a year old, and we just achieved tax-exempt status this month. We're very small (only about 50 members), we have no treasurer or anything like that, and as of yet, our pastor hasn't really talked money to the congregation, except that we need to reach about 100 members in order to be self-sustainable (whatever that means).

Most churches I have been to have the financial report open for any member to view, and some even give a copy of the report out at church meetings. If you don't want to ask just check the church bulletin board, there may be a specific person to talk to.

A side note, in the U.S. when you give money to a charity (which is how the government "sees" churches) you are able to specify how that money is spent. Most people just give "tithes and offerings" in general so it goes to the general fund. However, if you want to put a specific amount towards the youth department or building fund you can specify that on the envelope or check and they are required by law to put your money there.

Most churches I have been to have the financial report open for any member to view, and some even give a copy of the report out at church meetings. If you don't want to ask just check the church bulletin board, there may be a specific person to talk to.

A side note, in the U.S. when you give money to a charity (which is how the government "sees" churches) you are able to specify how that money is spent. Most people just give "tithes and offerings" in general so it goes to the general fund. However, if you want to put a specific amount towards the youth department or building fund you can specify that on the envelope or check and they are required by law to put your money there.

Yea that's sorta my dilemma...there is no financial reports or bulletins. I'm sure at some point, once we grow a bit more, we'll include some of these things, but we're still in the infancy stage of our church (only about 50 members so far).

I think you should say it like you phrased your OP. That's a perfectly reasonable request. I'm highly critical of the Jehovah's Witnesses, because they are suspected to make billions but don't make their books available. Your situation is much different. It doesn't sound like they're hiding anything.

It seems like someone has know where the church finances are going, regardless of how much is coming in. You should received a statement for tax deduction purposes (not that this is a reason to give to your church). Somebody, somewhere knows how the money is spent. It's in the church's interest to make this known to avoid accusations of abuse. To that end, he would probably welcome full disclosure. :)

I think you should say it like you phrased your OP. That's a perfectly reasonable request. I'm highly critical of the Jehovah's Witnesses, because they are suspected to make billions but don't make their books available. Your situation is much different. It doesn't sound like they're hiding anything.

It seems like someone has know where the church finances are going, regardless of how much is coming in. You should received a statement for tax deduction purposes (not that this is a reason to give to your church). Somebody, somewhere knows how the money is spent. It's in the church's interest to make this known to avoid accusations of abuse. To that end, he would probably welcome full disclosure. :)

So I guess providing me with how my donations are allocated is one thing, but what if I want to know actual figures? For instance, right now, we are working on becoming financially self-sufficient, since our denomination is only supporting us until a certain date. If we're not making enough money in member contributions by that date, then we won't be able to survive as a church. Would it be asking too much to want to know how far off we are, in dollars, from our goal, to know how much my individual contribution would help in reaching that goal? Or is this something that would reasonably be kept confidential?

Please keep in mind that I only starting going to church for the first time in my life a year or so ago, so a lot of how this sorta thing works is quite new to me.

Thanks for your help!

So I guess providing me with how my donations are allocated is one thing, but what if I want to know actual figures? For instance, right now, we are working on becoming financially self-sufficient, since our denomination is only supporting us until a certain date. If we're not making enough money in member contributions by that date, then we won't be able to survive as a church. Would it be asking too much to want to know how far off we are, in dollars, from our goal, to know how much my individual contribution would help in reaching that goal?
Its your money and you have every right (obligation really) to know all the facts regarding your investment
Or is this something that would reasonably be kept confidential?
Between you the Pastor/Board and the IRS.
Please keep in mind that I only starting going to church for the first time in my life a year or so ago, so a lot of how this sorta thing works is quite new to me.

Thanks for your help!
Your questions are fine, but Im a little worried about how long you have been a believer and not that you're asking about where the money goes but your stated purpose in learning the facts. BTW check everything you're told with the official word from the parent denomination.
I dont want to be discouraging and if others agree or not they will chime in , but that you are a new church goer, and the church is barely organized and ...there are some red flags .

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're a member of the church, you have every right to know what's going where and how the church is doing in reaching its goal. That's my opinion. My church posts our balance sheet on the website, and anyone who clicks on it will know. Especially within a church body that is supporting (or will be) the entire ministry, it's only right.

This is one of those topics that can be broached inappropriately, so take care not to come off as cynical or accusatory. I can't imagine a Godly pastor being insulted or apprehensive about opening the books.

Your questions are fine, but Im a little worried about how long you have been a believer and not that you're asking about where the money goes but your stated purpose in learning the facts. BTW check everything you're told with the official word from the parent denomination.
I dont want to be discouraging and if others agree or not they will chime in , but that you are a new church goer, and the church is barely organized and ...there are some red flags .

I'm not sure what you mean by the red flags...what sorta thing should I be worried about?

What is the best way to ask my pastor how my monetary contributions are being spent? Or is this something that would be inappropriate to ask?

I'm asking because I want to significantly increase my contributions to my church, and, like all major purchases/investments in my life, I like to have a good understanding of where the money is going.

So, if it's not an inappropriate question to ask a pastor, what is the best way to approach it? I plan on emailing him the question, and just want to know how to word it in a way that doesn't come off as me just being nosy.

Thanks for your help!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Dear Pastor,

I am considering increasing significantly my contributions to the church. I am curious how the money is spent. Could you provide me with some information?

Thanks,

Ch1719

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back