Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you know if you married the right person?

Sometimes what one partner lacks the other fills. And that makes it work.
At other times there are things one partner has in characteristics, habits, etc... that the other partner thinks they can ignore, let go, excuse, or tolerate as "cute" etc... However, if one compromises themselves in tolerating what they really can't tolerate because after doing the personal inventory with regard to that person, they find there is more to like than not it can turn out that after awhile those things easy to dismiss start to grate on one's nerves.
After all, if they were things one did not like but let go in the first place, those things are a part of that person. And subsequently those issues come along with that person, so when we're talking about the rest of one's life spent together it's a simple matter of doing the math.

The advice I'd give as far as knowing if someone is right is go with your gut. Attraction is one thing but watching what happens over time, well prior to getting married and during the courtship phase, is what tells the tale for the most part. Of course things can change once you're married.
I knew a couple that dated for 18 years. Junior High sweethearts, all through High School, College, and beyond. Finally one day they thought; we've been dating longer than most have been married!
So they got hitched at the courthouse in a flash. Three months later they divorced. Irreconcilable differences. Phew, I'll say.

In any case, there are no guarantees. Paying attention during the dating process. Are they there through thick and thin? How do they treat you on a consistent basis? Are there more positives than negatives?
Never ever settle. Don't ever compromise your values in order to get with the other person. Because sooner or later your values will start to nag at you every time their compromise of them rears their head.

Deciding one one person forever takes time.
So take the time. Even if that takes years.

I think if you trust God He would direct you to the right person. You would know if you married the right person if:
E.g

1. A husband I know is very quiet. The wife isn't quiet at all. The wife does all the talking and rebukes - and challenging people.

2. A wife I know is (perhaps 'was') a very bad cook. The husband is an excellent cook who does powerful dishes.

3. One isn't rich enough and the other is the bread winner etc etc

4. A man I know is shy (sexually speaking). The wife isn't. Etc etc

I hope it's clear now.

You can see that! An important quality lacking in one partner is found in the other partner.

I don't think the same quality will be lacking in both husband and wife at the same time (unless it was a faulty marriage). E.g is that quiet husband who has a courageous wife.

At the same time I don't think God permits the same quality to exist in both husband and wife. It can cause rivalry and unhealthy competition (unless it has to do with the qualities that should be found in both: things like - love, truthfulness, etc. Marriage is all about potential diffrence. So when you find a lacking quality in the other partner I would boldly say: you got the right person.

So think about what hapenes when a husband is a talking parrot and at the same time the wife is a talking parrot. That's a house of commotion and disorder

Gotta rest my fingers here. What do you think? Thanks

Weaker sex? I was refering to physical strenght and similar things
Well then women are in no wise the weaker sex. They give birth. That takes an incredible amount of strength that men could never understand.

If you want to relate, imagine moving something with the dimensions give or take of a watermelon through an orifice the dimensions of a quarter. :)

Back