Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

I challenge all apologists: Prove Ps. 30:1-4 does not show Prophet David believed in Postmortem Salvation

Prove one cannot hear the gospel and believe after death.
Prove they can. There is nothing in Scripture to indicate they can--there is not one verse you have given that suggests this is the case.

Christ doesn't agree:

25 "Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live. (Jn. 5:25 NKJ)
This either refers to the spiritually dead who will hear the gospel, put their faith in Christ, and become spiritually alive, or to the resurrection:

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.
1Th 4:17 Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. (ESV)

Compare:

5 They will give an account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
6 For this reason the gospel was preached also to those who are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. (1 Pet. 4:5-6 NKJ)
Be very, very careful in making doctrine out of a single verse, especially when theologians and scholars have difficulty with it. It could very well mean those who are now dead but had the gospel preached to them and believed while they were still alive. Some take it to mean the spiritually dead. If it does refer to those unbelievers who died and then had the gospel preached to them, that would be the exception, not the rule.

Who are these "eagerly waiting" for Christ's "second coming" after they died and went through a judgment:

27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,
28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.
(Heb. 9:27-28 NKJ)
I've already explained this. Those who eagerly await are believers. Christ will not return and deal with sin a second time, so there is no salvation at his return, only judgement.

God is blasphemed throughout the earth because of Protestants and their novel (unknown to the apostles) doctrines about hell. It is irrelevant immaterial and incompetent they inherited much of it from catholics. Who are they? Does God speak through them?
If Catholics and Protestants agree on something, it likely is true.

Its time to return to the doctrine of the apostles. Discard unscriptural and dark beliefs about God and how He will judge the earth.

To make things worse, they don't act like they believe the lies they speak, they only disparage all who refuse to believe them.

I'm sure everyone can recite the denominations that tell parents and friends during funerals: "they also will go to hell and be condemned with the unrighteous just like the deceased, if they also die unbelieving."

Yeah, we see that happen all the time among Protestants, don't we?

Their disbelief speaks louder than their empty words. Yet they continue to cling to what abhors them, offends their God given sense of justice, mercy and love. Even burning at the stake those who objected. Incredible hypocrisy. We can be certain none of this goes unseen by God Almighty.
Okay. :shrug

If the Apologists here aren't up to the task, I suggest you send the text of my post to the "greats", to list a few.

• William Lane Craig (b. 1949): A philosopher and theologian known for his work in the philosophy of religion, debates on the existence of God, and founder of Reasonable Faith, an organization dedicated to providing a Christian perspective on major world issues.
He agrees with orthodox Christianity, which is what I agree with: https://www.reasonablefaith.org/writings/question-answer/a-second-chance-after-death

• Tim Keller (b. 1950): A pastor, theologian, and author known for his work in urban ministry and apologetics through Redeemer Presbyterian Church and City to City, an organization focused on church planting.
You should probably know that Tim Keller died on May 19, 2023. He likely would also agree with orthodox Christianity that there is no second chance after death, being that he was Reformed.

• Greg Koukl (b. 1950): Founder of Stand to Reason, Koukl focuses on equipping Christians to think more clearly about their faith and engage others with wisdom and grace.
Greg Koukl agrees that there is no chance after death, at 2:06:

• Sean McDowell (b. 1977): An author, speaker, and associate professor of Christian apologetics at Biola University, McDowell focuses on equipping young people to defend their faith.
I'm quite certain Sean McDowell would also agree.

GotQuestions.org should be alerted to my direct rebuttal of their misconceptions:
That about says it all.

This is not an apologetics topic, Alfred Persson. This has nothing to do with defending the faith.
Incorrect. Apologetics is for defending the faith of the apostles and prophets, which I do. You defend the faith of "Proto-Catholics" as the Orthodox call you.

Protestantism, despite its differences with Catholicism, retains many elements that were part of the Catholic tradition before the Reformation. And God is blasphemed throughout the earth because of your infidelity to the scriptures.

What you call "Orthodox" I call novelty, doctrines unknown to Christ and His apostles.

Unless you put this thread in Apologetics, where I can debate you, I'm done with this board.

PS: I've updated the exegesis of scripture proving postmortem salvation, check it out. Just click the #Letter

Various Scriptures where Postmortem Opportunity for Salvation is explicit or implicit:

Dt. 32:39 [#A]; 1Sam. 2:6 [#B]; 2Sam. 22:5-7 [#C]; Ps. 16:10-11 [#D]; Ps. 30:1-4 [#E]; Ps. 40:1-3 [#F]; Ps. 49:12-15 [#G]; Ps. 56:13 [#H]; Ps. 68:18-20 [#I]; Ps. 69:13-18 [#J]; Ps. 71:19-23 [#K]; Ps. 86:13 [#L]; Ps. 102:18-22 [#M]; Ps. 116:1-9 [#N]; Hos. 13:14 [#O]; Jon. 2:1-10 [#P]; Zec. 9:9-11 [#Q]; Mt. 12:30-32[#R]; John 5:28-29[#S]; Rm. 11:25-36[#T]; 1 Pt. 3:18-22[#U]; 1 Pt. 4:6[#V]; 1 Cor. 5:5[#W]; Eph. 4:8-10[#I]; Heb. 9:27-28[#X]; Rev. 20:11-15[#Y];[#Z]

Last edited by a moderator:
Incorrect. Apologetics is for defending the faith of the apostles and prophets, which I do.
Again, this is not an apologetics issue, this is a theological one and you're engaging in polemical theology.

You defend the faith of "Proto-Catholics" as the Orthodox call you.

Protestantism, despite its differences with Catholicism, retains many elements that were part of the Catholic tradition before the Reformation. And God is blasphemed throughout the earth because of your infidelity to the scriptures.
Says the one who has "Free Will Reformed Baptist" under his username and is, therefore, a Protestant.

What you call "Orthodox" I call novelty, doctrines unknown to Christ and His apostles.

Unless you put this thread in Apologetics, where I can debate you, I'm done with this board.
That's fine, but why are you so adamant this go to apologetics? We can debate right here.

PS: I've updated the exegesis of scripture proving postmortem salvation, check it out. Just click the #Letter

Various Scriptures where Postmortem Opportunity for Salvation is explicit or implicit:

Dt. 32:39 [#A]; ... Rev. 20:11-15[#Y];[#Z]
Deu 32:39 “‘See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

Nothing even implied about a PMOS. It plainly and simply states that God can kill and make alive. This is about physical death and living, not salvation after death. Not even close.

1Sa 2:6 The LORD kills and brings to life; he brings down to Sheol and raises up.

Again, no PMOS is even implied. It could possibly be referring to resurrection, but it could also just mean that God brings life, and so "raises up," in general. That would be supported by verses 5 and 7.

2Sa 22:5 “For the waves of death encompassed me, the torrents of destruction assailed me;
2Sa 22:6 the cords of Sheol entangled me; the snares of death confronted me.
2Sa 22:7 “In my distress I called upon the LORD; to my God I called. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry came to his ears.

But, what is the context?

2Sa 22:1 And David spoke to the LORD the words of this song on the day when the LORD delivered him from the hand of all his enemies, and from the hand of Saul.

Again, no PMOS is even implied. David is clearly speaking figuratively of when God delivered him from his enemies. Nothing more. Don't you find it odd that you keep insisting David is speaking literally, when no such incident is mentioned in Scripture? Besides, even if David had died and come back to life, how would that even imply a PMOS? That's a resurrection but that doesn't necessarily mean he would have been saved while dead.

Psa 16:10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.
Psa 16:11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Psa 30:1 A Psalm of David. A song at the dedication of the temple. I will extol you, O LORD, for you have drawn me up and have not let my foes rejoice over me.
Psa 30:2 O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me.
Psa 30:3 O LORD, you have brought up my soul from Sheol; you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit.
Psa 30:4 Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name.

Psa 40:1 To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined to me and heard my cry.
Psa 40:2 He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.
Psa 40:3 He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD.

Again, nothing in these to even imply PMOS. It is, once again, David thanking God for his deliverance.

Hos 13:14 I shall ransom them from the power of Sheol; I shall redeem them from Death. O Death, where are your plagues? O Sheol, where is your sting? Compassion is hidden from my eyes.

This certainly does not imply a PMOS. This is speaking of God's eventual redemption of his people from the power of death, and ultimately fulfilled when Christ returns:

1Co 15:51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
1Co 15:52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality.
1Co 15:54 When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.”
1Co 15:55 “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”

A PMOS is also not even implied in Jon 2:1-10, Mat 12:30-32, John 5:28-29, Rom 11:25-36, 1 Cor 5:5, Eph 4:8-10, and 1 Pet 3:19. The closest you get are Zech 9:11 and 1 Pet 4:6. But, Zech 9 is talking about God delivering the Israelites and there is much debate as to what Peter is referring to. The most we can say is that there could be the possibility that God will give the righteous who died in the OT an opportunity to believe in Christ. However, given that a couple of them seemed to have gone to heaven apart from that, it could also be that the righteous who died under the old covenant, such as Abraham, were declared righteous by God are had salvation already. Who knows.

What we do know, is that there is not only not a single explicit statement about a PMOS and no clear implicit ones, but there are at least a couple of passages which explicitly state that there isn't one. Heb 9:27-28 and Rev 20:11-15 actually prove your position to be incorrect. I have no idea how you can think those support a PMOS. You're reading something into those passages which isn't there.

You are far too strong in your position on this, going well beyond any clear statement of Scripture and ignoring context in the process. This should be a very lightly held, humble opinion on your part, not a response-demanding, Protestant-bashing, name-calling, prideful, strongly held position as though it was an absolute certainty.

You have brought up my soul from Sheol

1 A Psalm of David. A song at the dedication of the temple. I will extol you, O LORD, for you have drawn me up and have not let my foes rejoice over me.
2 O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me.
3 O LORD, you have brought up my soul from Sheol (07585 שְׁאוֹל she’owl); you restored me to life (02421 חָיַה chayah) from among those who go down to the pit (0953 בּוֹר bowr).
4 Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name. (Ps. 30:1-4 ESV)

Notes:

חִיָּה (never: to call into being out of nothing) always means to restore to life that which has apparently or really succumbed to death.-Keil, C. F., & Delitzsch, F. (1996). Commentary on the Old Testament (Vol. 5, p. 240). Hendrickson.

The MT reads מִיוֹרְדֵי־בוֹר (mîyôreḏê-ḇôr lit., “from the ones going down into the pit”), and the Qere suggests מִיָּרְדִי (mîyorḏî, “from my going down”). In view of the usage of this phrase in Ps. 28:1 and the unusual grammatical form of the Kethiv it is preferable to accept the MT without emendation. MT Masoretic text.-VanGemeren, W. A. (1991). Psalms. In F. E. Gaebelein (Ed.), The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs (Vol. 5, p. 259). Zondervan Publishing House.

The “pit” is where those without hope go (Is. 38:18; Ez. 26:20; 31:14, 16; 32:18, 24, 29-32; Ps. 28:1 30:4; 88:5; 143:7).

David had what is today called an “Near Death Experience” or perhaps an “After Death Experience”. Other commentators agree:

David had a near-death experience that he describes in Ps 30.-Hamilton, J. M., Jr. (2021). Psalms (T. D. Alexander, T. R. Schreiner, & A. J. Köstenberger, Eds.; Vol. 1, p. 352). Lexham Academic.

The psalmist writes of being in the depths, of enemies eager to gloat over his vulnerable position, and perhaps even a near-death experience (30:1–3). Yet God had responded with deliverance, healing, and life.-Longman, T., III, ed. (2010). Psalms thru Song of Songs (Vol. 5, p. 29). Barbour Publishing.

David writes this psalm as a man who has just come out of a near-death experience.-Smith, J. J., & Akin, D. L. (2022). Exalting Jesus in Psalms 1–50 (D. Platt, D. L. Akin, & T. Merida, Eds.; p. 227). Holman Reference.

The point is not that David had actually died and been buried in the grave. Rather, “grave” (Hebrew, Sheol) simply depicts forcefully a near-death experience.-Barker, K. L. (1995). Praise. In Cracking old testament codes: a guide to interpreting literary genres of the old testament (p. 226). B&H Academic.

David reports he was near to dying the death of the wicked i.e., being cast into the pit and so “dying the death” of those who have no hope—-the second death from which there is no return to life. David literally says his soul was restored and brought up from Sheol from among the dammed going down into the pit.

Some claim this is only figurative of trials on earth but that would be deceptive.

If God didn’t literally rescue David from Sheol, the entire is misleading. Using figurative language to describe what does not exist in reality damages the credibility of scripture. What in it could we trust, if such plain language doesn’t mean what it says? Moreover, extolling God for scenarios that are not true is dishonest, misleading others about the truth. Furthermore, inspiring belief in falsehood is what we expect from prophets of Satan, not God. Therefore, David’s claim of being restored to life in an After Death Experience proves postmortem salvation is taught in scripture.
I never heard of this topic nor read This book and from that alone along with my own experiences
I can't see that He had a dream or out of body experience.

Is there somewhere it says that he had an out of body experience? Could that be your take based on what you have postulated in your mind.

What I saw in those few words is a man who was Spiritually dead. And was made alive. That's it.

I never heard of this topic nor read This book and from that alone along with my own experiences
I can't see that He had a dream or out of body experience.

Is there somewhere it says that he had an out of body experience? Could that be your take based on what you have postulated in your mind.

What I saw in those few words is a man who was Spiritually dead. And was made alive. That's it.
I haven't read it but sounds like from another persons scriptues shared. HE WAS ABOUT TO DIE BY HIS ENEMIES..AND God delivered Him from them.

Back