Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

I feel like I desire my phone more than God

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

DoaWK1992

A 15-year old Christian with anxiety
I'm always on my phone and I feel like it is messing up my relationship with God don't get me wrong I LOVE God but I hate feeling like I love my phone more and it's been like this for months. I've been desiring my phone over God and I hate it and not only that but thanks to this phone over God situation I don't even feel saved :sad

Get rid of the phone.

I know. Far easier said than done but essentially that is what needs to happen one way or another.

"He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it."
Matthew 10:37-39 NKJV

How could I "get rid of it"?
I will be 65 in February. I lived most of my life without a cell phone. Many of my neighbors have no phones at all, or electricity or automobiles.

Here's what Jesus says.

"If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell."
Matthew 5:29-30 NKJV

How could I "get rid of it"?
Why don't you cut back on your screen time gradually every day . Are there choirs or hobbies , school work you could be doing instead of cell phone surfing ? Reading a book , read the bible , go help someone with something . Learn to cook . You do like to eat don't you :lol ?

I see you are very young and with teens (older people too) they have a far greater addiction with their phone. Since you enjoy being on your phone so much then download an online Bible app, I like e-sword, an set aside time everyday to read the Bible and talk to Jesus. Even download some good Christian music you enjoy. This way you are giving place to the Lord and also allowing your faith to grow in learning about Jesus. You could also find different Christian teen forums, although you are more than welcomed in here. Use your phone as being a blessing to the Lord, but also put aside time for fun.

Which apps are you finding yourself obsessed with? Try to cut back on them, there might be an app to set a time limit with a password. You could have a family
member create the password so you're unable to use the obssesve app or if it's generally the phone would have to lock the entire phone except texts, call
calling or whatever is still needed for an emergency.

I'm always on my phone and I feel like it is messing up my relationship with God don't get me wrong I LOVE God but I hate feeling like I love my phone more and it's been like this for months. I've been desiring my phone over God and I hate it and not only that but thanks to this phone over God situation I don't even feel saved

There's a lot of brain chemistry at work in your obsession with your phone. Much of cell-phone software "hacks" your brain, by various tactics keeping you hyper-fixated on your phone, and strengthening that fixation by provoking certain biochemical responses in your brain. It's all very devious - and dangerous.

The simplest, best way to be free of the grip of your phone is to do as WIP suggested and simply get rid of it. I realize that would make you incredibly...unusual among your peers and cut-off to a degree from the pop-culture happenings that spew at you constantly through your cell. But it would do your brain a world of good and powerfully help your walk with God.

Perhaps, though, what's most important is that you start going through each day giving God control of you. When God has control, the first place He'll go to work in you will be in the area of your desires. If you'll let Him, He'll change what you want, cooling your desire for your phone, and heating up a desire for Him. But He'll have to do it, not you. As you've shown with your phone, you're just too weak to live as God wants you to. We all are. And so, God says to us to give Him control over our thinking, desires and conduct all throughout each day. Only as we do, will He work to change who we are.

Romans 6:13-22
Romans 12:1
James 4:6-10
1 Peter 5:6

I'm always on my phone and I feel like it is messing up my relationship with God don't get me wrong I LOVE God but I hate feeling like I love my phone more and it's been like this for months. I've been desiring my phone over God and I hate it and not only that but thanks to this phone over God situation I don't even feel saved :sad
You must learn to use the force. No, I'm kidding. Lol.

If you don't want to get rid of it, just turn it off and put in the dresser drawer.

Only use your phone for informational purposes only(Required Information).There is nothing wrong with enjoying your phone,it's all in the way you use it.Find other activities to involve(distract) yourself with,set aside certain times for enjoying a timeout with your phone.

You need to put God first, but you can still have your phone! Rely on God more than your phone He knows where you are and what you are doing and thinking more than any mini computer.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back