Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

I need some good Christian fiction.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
M

MISFIT

I need some suggestions. I'm into, horror, Sci-Fi, thrillers, things like that. I've read some stuff by Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti that was good.

This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti - it's really old now, but am presently rereading it. It has so helped me in my christian life seeing things from a different perspective. About a small town coming under spiritual attack with demons and angels fighting them, and how prayer changes things.

Now be open minded about my next recommendation ( ;) :lol )
"A voice in the wind" by Francine Rivers.

Now she may usually be more of a writer for females (?). But this book because it is quite gruesome talking about gladiators in the lion's den, and sexual disease etc its not the usual kind of book. This to me is the best book I have read. It so helped me, seeing the sin and depravation in Rome in biblical times, made me understand the background of the new testament, and is an excellent author.
Now she has 2 sequels to it as well (didn't like the 3rd one)

There are many more but those two books are a MUST read for everybody (IMO :lol )

Ginger said:
This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti - it's really old now, but am presently rereading it. It has so helped me in my christian life seeing things from a different perspective. About a small town coming under spiritual attack with demons and angels fighting them, and how prayer changes things.

Now be open minded about my next recommendation ( ;) :lol )
"A voice in the wind" by Francine Rivers.

Now she may usually be more of a writer for females (?). But this book because it is quite gruesome talking about gladiators in the lion's den, and sexual disease etc its not the usual kind of book. This to me is the best book I have read. It so helped me, seeing the sin and depravation in Rome in biblical times, made me understand the background of the new testament, and is an excellent author.
Now she has 2 sequels to it as well (didn't like the 3rd one)

There are many more but those two books are a MUST read for everybody (IMO :lol )

Thanks! My wife is a big Francine Rivers fan, but I have never read any of her books.

Check these folks out:

Melanie Wells
Eric Wilson
Randy Singer
Steven James
Matt Bronleewe
TL Hines
Tim Downs

MISFIT said:
Thanks! My wife is a big Francine Rivers fan, but I have never read any of her books.

I have read all her books - LOVE them but that specific book I think is suitable for guys as well (maybe guys will like her other books, don't want to be a sexist here!). As well as being a great read.

OK having the good ones out of the way, will now go to the good books, interesting read.

You will probably like 'black', 'red' and 'white' the 3 books of Ted Dekker. Not that I got all his analogies of heaven (don't know if I am supposed too?).

I enjoyed 'blink' from him as well (set partly in the middle east about a Saudia girl wanting to escape life there for the US and a man in the US who can see a few seconds in the future)

other Ted Dekker books-

"obsessed" - wasn't that good
"house" - hated it, felt he had a movie deal in place when he wrote this, it was lazy and
typical haunted house stuff - nothing new
"three" - very good
"saint" - quite good, thriller type

Afraid all the rest of my christian reading is more 'female' not in your line.

Brand Spanking New to the forum.

C.S. Lewis.
- Narnia Series
- The Great Divorce
- Screwtape Letters.
JRR Tolkien.
-Hobbit
-Lord of the Rings 1 2 3

Two amazing writers. Ton of Amazing Fiction.

I don't know if it's really what you're looking for, but I agree with gschuette, those are all good fiction books with a strong backbone of good Christian theology. I find myself thinking about The Screwtape Letters on a regular basis (and I read them a few years ago). Can't say that about many books!

Please consider reading C.S. Lewis' "Space Trilogy" which consists of the following three books:

Out of the Silent Planet (1938), set mostly on Mars
Perelandra (1943), set mostly on Venus. Also known as Voyage to Venus
That Hideous Strength (1945)

The following books were written by George Macdonald.

Phantastes (1858)
At the Back of the North Wind (1871)
Lilith
The Gray Wolf
The Light Princess
The Shadows
The Wise Woman
The Golden Key

G. K. Chesterton was the author of a fascinating book:
The Man who was Thursday

Virtue, Liberty, and Independence
Matureartisan :)