Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

In terms of spiritual mechanics or dynamics, what does it mean to be born again?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

TonyChanYT

When I was born from my mother's womb, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered my physical body and I became a sentient soul.

What happened when I was born the second time?

The following is not some abstract theory but my own personal experience.

What is the mechanism of being born again?

John 3:
3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, except anyone be born from above, he is not able to see the kingdom of God."
i.e., born from above or born again
5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
The Holy Spirit (wind) comes to you to cause you to be born again. It is a real supernatural event that happens.

ESV Titus 3:
5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit.

However, you may not feel it in real-time. I did not.

John 14:
15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper <Paraclete> to be with you forever—17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
If one is born again, he has the Paraclete Spirit dwell in his spirit/conscience forever.

1 John 3:
9a Anyone having been born of God does not practice sin, because God’s seed [G4690 sperma] remains in them
i.e., the Paraclete.

The Holy Spirit cannot dwell in the flesh. Romans 7:
18a For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh.

Instead, the Spirit is connected to our human spirit. Romans 8:
16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

This is the promise of eternal life. John 10:
28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

The Paraclete is a special operation of the Holy Spirit. He is the Indwelling Spirit. The grammatical gender of the Paraclete is masculine. He enables us to hear God. I can sense him in my spirit anytime all the time. Every time that I do, peace fills me. I was born of the Paraclete. He is directly and permanently connected to my human spirit. This is not some spiritual metaphor but a spiritual reality. Eternal life starts now inside us. The last time I experienced any doubts about God was back in the 20th century.

2 Corinthians 13:
5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?

The first time when I was born, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered me. That became my animating human spirit. The second time when I was born, the non-detached Paraclete/Spirit from God connected with my human spirit and permanently dwells there. The latter is a spirit-to-spirit connection.

Greetings again, Tony Chan, and blessings in Christ.

I agree with much of this, but there are a few statements here that I think would need some qualifying, and one that would need restating in my opinion. Firstly:

I know you cited Paul in Romans 7 here, but most people would argue he was talking about his flesh as distinct from the Spirit. But Paul very clearly did have the Holy Spirit abiding in him or there is no way he could have been healing the sick, speaking in tongues, etc. So I think you may be taking that verse a little too strictly, IMO.

The other statement I personally would take issue with is this one:
The Paraclete is a special operation of the Holy Spirit. He is the Indwelling Spirit. The grammatical gender of the Paraclete is masculine.,,, He is directly and permanently connected to my human spirit.

Now this statement about permanency goes to the question of eternal security. Some believe in it and some don't. I fall in the latter category. Not really interested in redirecting the thread to a debate on that, just wanted to point out that those who believe freewill is still retained by the believer and that he or she can still reject God might take issue with your use of the word "permanently" here.

Just wanted to bring up a few minor points of contention personally, but focusing on the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is certainly an excellent thing to be meditating on, and thus an excellent thing to be teaching on.

Blessings again, and thanks for your post.
Hidden In Him

Right. That's what I meant also in the OP. Is there some way that I can edit the OP to make it clearer?

There is unfortunately a 30 minute time limit for editing posts, which I personally don't like, but what you can do after the time limit has expired is click on "Report" and then make a request that your post be corrected. Hasn't always worked for me before I was a Moderator, because sometimes they were awfully busy. But I will see about correcting things for you myself if you write out exactly what you would like changed.

Thank you for this redirect. That's exactly what you should do in this case. :thumb

Greetings again, Tony Chan, and blessings in Christ.

I agree with much of this, but there are a few statements here that I think would need some qualifying, and one that would need restating in my opinion. Firstly:

I know you cited Paul in Romans 7 here, but most people would argue he was talking about his flesh as distinct from the Spirit. But Paul very clearly did have the Holy Spirit abiding in him or there is no way he could have been healing the sick, speaking in tongues, etc. So I think you may be taking that verse a little too strictly, IMO.

The other statement I personally would take issue with is this one:

Now this statement about permanency goes to the question of eternal security. Some believe in it and some don't. I fall in the latter category. Not really interested in redirecting the thread to a debate on that, just wanted to point out that those who believe freewill is still retained by the believer and that he or she can still reject God might take issue with your use of the word "permanently" here.

Just wanted to bring up a few minor points of contention personally, but focusing on the indwelling of the Holy Spirit is certainly an excellent thing to be meditating on, and thus an excellent thing to be teaching on.

Blessings again, and thanks for your post.
Hidden In Him
You must occasionally make the distinction between "flesh" and "skin and bones".
Sometimes, "flesh" refers only to the worldly oriented mind.

You must occasionally make the distinction between "flesh" and "skin and bones".
Sometimes, "flesh" refers only to the worldly oriented mind.

I actually think Paul was referring to the flesh quite literally more often most theologians do, but I understand your point.

However, since launching into a full-blown discussion of it might be derailing the OP's intentions, we might have to leave that discussion off for another time.

God bless, and thank you for the reply just the same. :)

The Holy Spirit (wind) comes to you to cause you to be born again. It is a real supernatural event that happens.

The Holy Spirit is not a "wind," but a Person, the Third Person, in fact, of the God-head. He comes like the wind to a person he regenerates spiritually, but he is not, therefore, a wind.

If one is born again, he has the Paraclete Spirit dwell in his spirit/conscience forever.

The Bible never locates the Holy Spirit's exact point of residence within the born-again person. Instead, it indicates that the believer's entire physical body is his "temple":

1 Corinthians 6:18-20
18 Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.
19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.

The Holy Spirit cannot dwell in the flesh.

See above. Also:

2 Corinthians 4:6-11
6 For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of darkness," is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;
8 we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing;
9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;
10 always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.
11 For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.

Romans 8:16 doesn't say that the Spirit is connected to our human spirit. It says only that the Spirit bears witness with - or testifies to - our spirit.

I can sense him in my spirit anytime all the time. Every time that I do, peace fills me. I was born of the Paraclete. He is directly and permanently connected to my human spirit.

The Bible says we know the Holy Spirit is within because he convicts (John 16:8), teaches (John 14:26; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16), strengthens (Ephesians 3:16; Philippians 2:13; Romans 8:13), comforts (2 Corinthians 1:3-5) and changes us (Galatians 5:22-23; Romans 8:29). Nowhere does Scripture say we ought to expect, or rely on, a mere "sense" that the Spirit is within. This is to dangerously subjectify the basis upon which one believes one is indwelt by him.

The Holy Spirit is not a "wind," but a Person, the Third Person, in fact, of the God-head. He comes like the wind to a person he regenerates spiritually, but he is not, therefore, a wind.
Where did I assert that the Holy Spirit is a wind?

The Bible never locates the Holy Spirit's exact point of residence within the born-again person.
Right, I was guessing. Where precisely do you think the Paraclete dwells in you? Any guess?

to be Spiritually born again or in other words a renewal of our spirit as that which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit and unless we are Spiritually born again we can not enter into the kingdom of God, John 3:5-7; Romans 10:9-10.

With God all things are Spiritual from above where God sits in heaven as flesh and Spirit can not mix as the flesh is enmity (hostile enemy) against the Spirit, Romans 1:1-17. To walk in the Spirit being led by God's Holy Spirit, as we are indwelled with the Holy Spirit when we become Spiritually born again, means that we yield to the guidance of the Holy Spirit as we are now led by the Holy Spirit who is our comforter and teacher of all the truths of the word of God and leads us into all righteouness, Galatians 5:16-26.

God is love and wants to share His love with us as He also helps us to love others. It's called agape love that is the highest form of love and charity. It's the love of God for man and of man for God that is God's pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world, Matthew 25:31-46; James 1:27

There are no traditionally religious perspectives, but only one truth being the word of God of all creation and His Son Christ Jesus. Jesus was before the foundation of the world being the word of God, as God's plan of salvation by His grace that by faith, which is a free gift from God that all who will believe and confess Jesus as Lord and Savior will have eternal life with Him and not be judged and condemned to the lake of fire in final judgement, John 1:1-14; Ephesians 2:8-9; Revelation 20:15.

Acts 2:14-41 was Peter's first sermon on the day of Pentecost and after he was finished hear what some of those in the crowd said to Peter:

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Col 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Col 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Col 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
Col 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Is there some way that I can edit the OP to make it clearer?
As Hidden In Him said, there is only a 30 min time frame to edit a post. The best thing to do is to post your correction of what you had previously said and give the post # or the direct of the OP that you want to change. The staff can change your edit, but it's best to doit yourself.

Where did I assert that the Holy Spirit is a wind?

You wrote:

"The Holy Spirit (wind) comes to you to cause you to be born again."

If you did not intend to indicate that the Holy Spirit was a wind of some kind, you probably shouldn't have made the parenthetical aside here that you did. The impression the statement above left with me (unexplained as the parenthetical aside is) was that the Holy Spirit and wind were essentially synonymous.

Right, I was guessing. Where precisely do you think the Paraclete dwells in you? Any guess?

All that Scripture indicates is that my entire physical body is the "temple" of the Holy Spirit (See: 1 Corinthians 6:19-20). As a result, I am to present my body to God as an instrument of righteousness (Romans 6:13). The Spirit testifies to my spirit, yes, but occupies my entire physical body. I don't know of any Scripture that denies this is so.

Where is my assertion?

You wrote:

"The Holy Spirit (wind) comes to you to cause you to be born again."

If you did not intend to indicate that the Holy Spirit was a wind of some kind, you probably shouldn't have made the parenthetical aside here that you did. The impression the statement above left with me (unexplained as the parenthetical aside is) was that the Holy Spirit and wind were essentially synonymous.

When I was born from my mother's womb, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered my physical body and I became a sentient soul.
That's called 'air' not the Spirit of God.
What happened when I was born the second time?
The following is not some abstract theory but my own personal experience.
What is the mechanism of being born again?
The 'mechanism' is the Spirit of God.
John 3: i.e., born from above or born again
He is not the "cause" He IS the birth.
ESV Titus 3:
However, you may not feel it in real-time. I did not.
John 14:
1 John 3:
i.e., the Paraclete.
Then no one can be born-again.
Not "connected," but indwells.
This is the promise of eternal life. John 10:
The Paraclete is a special operation of the Holy Spirit. He is the Indwelling Spirit. The grammatical gender of the Paraclete is masculine. He enables us to hear God. I can sense him in my spirit anytime all the time. Every time that I do, peace fills me. I was born of the Paraclete. He is directly and permanently connected to my human spirit. This is not some spiritual metaphor but a spiritual reality. Eternal life starts now inside us. The last time I experienced any doubts about God was back in the 20th century.
2 Corinthians 13:
The first time when I was born, a detached breath/wind/spirit of God entered me.
Quite impossible.
That became my animating human spirit. The second time when I was born, the non-detached Paraclete/Spirit from God connected with my human spirit and permanently dwells there. The latter is a spirit-to-spirit connection.
Here's the key:

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Jn 3:5–6.

When you were born from your mother you were born of the flesh, that is, her body.

Being born again is being born of God who is Spirit. This is the spiritual birth.

Born once, die twice. Born twice, die once.

God breathed the breath of life and only animated the man.
The man did not receive the Holy Spirit to dwell in him.
But God did create the man and woman trichotomy, that is, body, soul, and human spirit which enabled communication with God. After Adam and the woman sinned the communication changed.
Thus, they became only body and soul as their human spirit died "in the day" they ate of the tree and continued as body and soul until death. Everyone born from them were born body and soul, no human spirit.
The human spirit is created anew when one is born again thus enabling spiritual communication with God and the ability to process spiritual phenomenon.

Back