Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Inter-Faithism. A good thing or a bad thing?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
G

:biggrin Inter-Faithism seems to be very popular idea today.
How many people here think it's a good idea?,and how many
think it is a bad idea?

blueeyeliner said:
think it is a bad idea?

This is interfaithism; the idea that all religions are pathways to the same mountaintop
called "God." It is the blending of all spiritual expressions, "truths ...

• John 14: 6. Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.[/*:m:62261]

Awful, it's best you fundies breed within your own little genepool.

SyntaxVorlon said:
Awful, it's best you fundies breed within your own little genepool.

What are you fundies going to do? This interfaith, joining faith....is going to ensnare everyone, at least it will try. I would think that an atheist would see the danger and comment about it rather than use trite, unfunny, overused "humor".

I dated a Jehovah Witness and a pagan before and it went pretty well while we were together. Most Christians I know are not very fundamental and do not take a literal interpretation of the Bible, so there is little conflict. I think these people just want to feel they can make it to heaven and ignore the rest of it.

My wife's best friend may move in with us and she is "spiritual" and pseudo-Christian. More of a cross between Christian and New Age. But we get along great. She never tries to push her beliefs on me and I don't seek to point out my lack of belief.

So personally, I don't see a problem with it as long as the people can handle it.

Quath

Quath said:
I dated a Jehovah Witness and a pagan before and it went pretty well while we were together. Most Christians I know are not very fundamental and do not take a literal interpretation of the Bible, so there is little conflict. I think these people just want to feel they can make it to heaven and ignore the rest of it.

My wife's best friend may move in with us and she is "spiritual" and pseudo-Christian. More of a cross between Christian and New Age. But we get along great. She never tries to push her beliefs on me and I don't seek to point out my lack of belief.

So personally, I don't see a problem with it as long as the people can handle it.

Quath

Quath, you make a great point. Often times a Christian will cover up their faith to make someone else happy. Most of us here do not.

Quath said:

That's not true at all. We want what God wants...that none should perish.

Quath

Prov 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Vic said:
That's not true at all. We want what God wants...that none should perish.
I was just referring to the Christians I know in real life, not the ones on here. These are the types of Christians that go to church sometimes but believe you can pray just as effectively at home. They live a pretty secular life except on Sunday and then they may do something slightly religious. They may just own a Bible and say they believe, but you would not know otherwise.

I had a roomate of mine in college who was quite a character. He would get drunk every weekend, sleep around, chew tobacco, and cheat on his girlfriend with a lesbian cheating on her girlfriend. So one day we were sitting around and we talked a little philosophy and the subject of religion came up. He says "Well, I am a Christian." We just looked shocked at him. My best friend said "You drink.. you sleep around.. you never go to church.. I have never heard anything religious from you before this.. but you say you are Christian."

He replies, "I said I was a Christian, I didn't say I was a good Christian." It was pretty funny. It may have been one of them "you have to be there" moments.

Quath

It may be funny to the world, but to a Christian it should be sad that he mocks the name of Christ. He is not trying to live as Christ did, he is still living for himself. His testimony is truly sad if this is all he has.

Quath, to a Christian, interfaithism should be obsurd. The fasle god Allah encourages murder, while the true God wrote a law against it. How then are they the same God?

Brutus/HisCatalyst said:
It may be funny to the world, but to a Christian it should be sad that he mocks the name of Christ. He is not trying to live as Christ did, he is still living for himself. His testimony is truly sad if this is all he has.
I think he figured he would have lots of fun and then repent and live a more righteous lifestyle when he was ready to settle down. I should ask him again since I ocasionally get emails from him.

[quote:7cd38]Quath, to a Christian, interfaithism should be obsurd. The fasle god Allah encourages murder, while the true God wrote a law against it. How then are they the same God?
[/quote:7cd38]
I agree. By definition, they are not the same. Religions are mutually exclusive for the most part.

So the idea that no one religion really stands out (works, miracles, evidence) so they are all wrong or all right. We know they can't all be right. So maybe they could all partly be right. Maybe there are some divine beings looking after us and we are to try to be good for them. Or maybe "god" will reward based on following a consistent set of beliefs.

To some people, they can't imagine God or Jesus being evil enough to send Muslims to hell just because they were taught the wrong stuff. So they feel that God would not judge them differently than laid out in the NT.

It is a slippery slope. My mother does not believe what Paul says in the NT. She does not believe that God will send Africans that never heard of Jesus to hell either. So she has deviated away from what the NT says because she doesn't like it. So it would not be hard for her to accept that Muslims will not go to hell becauee they haven't had a good chance to learn of Jesus either. And it can just slip from there.

I am not saying that inter-faithism is great, but it makes just as much sense to me as any other faith out there. Plus I find these people easier to get along with because they do not usually try to convert me.

Quath

Heh. Brutus, you are talking about a different kind of exclusivity. But you have touched on a very important point. Although Christianity claims salvation is found in Christ alone while others say all paths lead to God, Christianity is one of the few religions (or the only one) where salvation is possible for all who simply believe.

Many other religions, such as Buddhism or Hinduism, claim that all paths lead to "God," yet only those (the spiritual masters) who attain enlightenment or know and master some other secret higher knowledge can progress spiritually to a point of "salvation."

So the interesting thing is that while Christianity is exclusive, salvation is available to all, whereas with inclusive religions, salvation can be attained by only a few (not only that, they reject the exclusive religions, so they are, in fact, exclusive themselves). :-?

:smt024 Thanks everyone for all your great replies.
I agree that inter-faithism is a very bad thing. I have been at
forums where most of the members like the idea of inter-faithism,
and it really had me concerned for them.I wanted to know what most
of you here at this forum thought,and I thank God that I'm not alone
about this. It is a dangerous thing because we all know that Jesus is
the only true way to God and salvation,yet inter-faith churches,forums,
ect... say that there are many ways to God.
I believe that those who are saying they are christians yet who live like
the devil might be open to such an idea as Inter-Faithism because the
weak are more easy to fool,and more vulnerable to the attacks of the
enemy. You are all a great help to me and my studies on these things.
May God greatly bless each one of you,In Jesus our Lord,amen.

I dont believe in interfaithism, i believe in one God but many of one faith might see interfaithism where there is none.

blueeyeliner said:
think it is a bad idea?

It is a good thing for different faiths to work together for a common good, but the danger is when one gives up or alters a belief to make nice with another. We all have to live in the same world, but nobody should have to give up their own beliefs.

In no way am I endorsing interfaithism, just that socially a greater good can be accomplished, but religiously we are seperate and should stay that way.....unless any of you would like a Book of Mormon :lol: :lol: :lol: or a free KJV Bible.......don't worry I'm just kidding.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back