Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Introduction from a regular guy who lives a not so regular life

Hello all, new member here.

I should share some basics with you, and I'm sure the main thing to write home about here is going to come with a lot of questions, and I'm happy to answer, though certain details will be withheld to protect the innocent.

I'm a 23 year old single guy from the United States. I have a Computer Science degree from the College of William and Mary, class of '22, and I own my own successful company that I started in college and work from home.

I also received a sizeable inheritance from my grandpa when I was 21, and I purchased my childhood home from my mom. My father sadly passed away when I was 17.

I'm fortunate to be financially well off at a young age, and I only mention all this to answer an obvious question later, about how I do what I'm doing.

My interests include golf, watching baseball, and barbequing on the Big Green Egg.

What is unique about me is that, at the age of 22, I became a single dad to a 4 year old girl.

She was my paternal first cousin once removed.

My paternal first cousin was her dad, but he died of brain cancer when she was 2. Her mom abandoned her, and later died herself of alcohol poisoning.

Until March 15th 2023, she was in the custody of her grandpa (my paternal uncle) and his second wife, her step grandma. People I trusted. Until I got that shocking phone call. They had been physically abusive to her, and hiding her marks with makeup and long sleeves.

I was the only blood relative willing and able to take her in. I could never let her go into the foster system.

So with the help of a VERY good attorney, scrutiny as if I stood naked before God, a very intrigued judge, and a grueling 6 weeks, I fought for her and won. I took her home as her permanent legal guardian on April 30th 2023, and on July 30th 2023, my application for full adoption was approved, and I became legally her father.

By her own request and despite understanding her past and origin story, she calls me "daddy" now. :)

Its the greatest gift life could have given me. It's like she was always supposed to be mine, and I only wish she could have traveled down a better road to get to me.

Its the greatest gift life could have given me. It's like she was always supposed to be mine, and I only wish she could have traveled down a better road to get to me.

Children are a great delight, a tremendous worry and hard work.

Is your mother still alive, is she living with you?

She will be great help in caring for your daughter, as well as a source of advice as she has done it before.

Last question.
What is your church involvement. Do ensure she is involved with the Sunday school etc etc.

Hi gnrfan5000 and welcome to CF :wave2

It's a big responsibility taking on this little girl and I commend you for that. I hope you have a good support system to help you possibly having to deal with any emotional side effects she might go through from the abuse she was given. I will keep you both in my prayers and that she will have a good life with you. :pray

Ok here's my thought for you. A car comes with an owners manual that explains how the car works. A new computer also comes with a manual describing what the computer can do.

There is no owners manual for how to raise a child. So, I would say do and say what you believe is the right thing to do keeping Christ's commands to us in mind in the process. Enjoy the good times, work together with the child through the rough times (patience comes in handy for that I believe) and perhaps the most important part: Show love (even if it sometimes has to be tough love) all the time like Christ showed us.

I should share some basics with you, and I'm sure the main thing to write home about here is going to come with a lot of questions, and I'm happy to answer, though certain details will be withheld to protect the innocent.

I'm a 23 year old single guy from the United States. I have a Computer Science degree from the College of William and Mary, class of '22, and I own my own successful company that I started in college and work from home.

I also received a sizeable inheritance from my grandpa when I was 21, and I purchased my childhood home from my mom. My father sadly passed away when I was 17.

I'm fortunate to be financially well off at a young age, and I only mention all this to answer an obvious question later, about how I do what I'm doing.

My interests include golf, watching baseball, and barbequing on the Big Green Egg.

What is unique about me is that, at the age of 22, I became a single dad to a 4 year old girl.

My paternal first cousin was her dad, but he died of brain cancer when she was 2. Her mom abandoned her, and later died herself of alcohol poisoning.

Until March 15th 2023, she was in the custody of her grandpa (my paternal uncle) and his second wife, her step grandma. People I trusted. Until I got that shocking phone call. They had been physically abusive to her, and hiding her marks with makeup and long sleeves.

I was the only blood relative willing and able to take her in. I could never let her go into the foster system.

So with the help of a VERY good attorney, scrutiny as if I stood naked before God, a very intrigued judge, and a grueling 6 weeks, I fought for her and won. I took her home as her permanent legal guardian on April 30th 2023, and on July 30th 2023, my application for full adoption was approved, and I became legally her father.

By her own request and despite understanding her past and origin story, she calls me "daddy" now. :)

Stay in One Peace!

Hi gnrfan5000
welcome-cat.gif
What a wonderful testimony. Welcome to the forum. I hope to see you around the board. Be Blessed! Mandy

Back