Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is belief in the trinity essential for salvation?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Dave Slayer said:

When the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity is understood, then believers will accept it, unbelievers will not.

Reformed said:
Dave Slayer said:

When the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity is understood, then believers will accept it, unbelievers will not.

If you have to "understand" salvation it is not essential as Salvation is by the grace of God not by the understanding of men. "Believers" will love God and know Him to the best of their ability for God judges the heart not the level of understanding so you are in error.

bodhitharta said:
If you have to "understand" salvation it is not essential as Salvation is by the grace of God not by the understanding of men. "Believers" will love God and know Him to the best of their ability for God judges the heart not the level of understanding so you are in error.

A new convert does not need to understand the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity, so in that respect it is not essential for salvation. But when someone who claims to be a Christian is exposed to the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit will lead him to embrace it as true if he truly has been born again.

An unbeliever when exposed to the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity will reject it, for "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Cor. 2:14)

I think that believing Jesus is God is necessary, which automatically creates a binity, it is but a small step to the Trinity from there but that may not be necessary for salvation.

Reformed said:
bodhitharta said:

A new convert does not need to understand the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity, so in that respect it is not essential for salvation. But when someone who claims to be a Christian is exposed to the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit will lead him to embrace it as true if he truly has been born again.

An unbeliever when exposed to the orthodox doctrine of the Trinity will reject it, for "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Cor. 2:14)

So first you admit it is not essential for salvation then you conclude that a convert isn't a "true" believer until they believe something that was not written. Now the verse you use talks about spiritual discenment and I will tell you for a fact that no one conceives of the trinity through spiritual discernment it has to be taught because it is not scriptural nor mentioned directly and Ironically many of the same people who accept the trinity reject the Pope and they go together.

bodhitharta said:
So first you admit it is not essential for salvation then you conclude that a convert isn't a "true" believer until they believe something that was not written. Now the verse you use talks about spiritual discenment and I will tell you for a fact that no one conceives of the trinity through spiritual discernment it has to be taught because it is not scriptural nor mentioned directly and Ironically many of the same people who accept the trinity reject the Pope and they go together.

So you reject the doctrine of the Trinity. Answer these two questions for me, if you will.

1. Can you summarize the orthodox view of the Trinity? If so, please provide your summary.

2. Is Jesus God?

Reformed said:
bodhitharta said:

So you reject the doctrine of the Trinity. Answer these two questions for me, if you will.

1. Can you summarize the orthodox view of the Trinity? If so, please provide your summary.

2. Is Jesus God?

The orthodox view of the trinity is 3 persons, one God or a triune God in which the Father is not the son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit is not The Father yet all are God as one an independently, they are co-equal and co-eternal.

According to this belief Jesus is God according to the Bible Jesus is The son of God not co-eternal with God otherwise how could he have fathered him?

Also the scriptures say that The Holy Spirit can not be blasphemed and a person still be forgiven and also the scriptures say that anyone who curses God shall bear their sins but in regards to Jesus it says that the Son of Man(Jesus) can be blasphemed and it will be forgiven so how is it they can be equal or how is it Jesus can be called "God" and yet be blasphemed with forgiveness?

If You cannot curse AGod but can Curse Jesus how do you reconcile that?

Do you mean to SAY you believe in the trinity or to actually believe in it. Because noone can honestly BELIEVE in the trinity because it is not understandable. Therefore, most christians just state that they believe in it. Which I'm not sure what kind of reward that gets them.

Dave Slayer said:

Yes, one must believe He is a triune God. If one does not understand the trinity, then one does not understand God because one does not understand the very nature of God.

The trinity is explicit in Scripture; it is not a mystery as some presume or suggest.

John 1:33 -
"I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, 'He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.' - there is two.

Luke 3:21-38
21 Now when all the people were baptized, Jesus was also baptized, and while He was praying, heaven was opened, 22 and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove, and a voice came out of heaven, "You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased." - there is the threesome

Ga 4:6
Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" - there is the threesome

Mt 28:19
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

This is explicit as it can get; "name" is singular and "the" indicates a singular; then followed by the trinity.

This is but one of many versus that indicate the work of 3 persons acting in unison as the God-head.

1 Corinthians 11:3
3 But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ.

Christ is the head of the church, the body; therefore we are part of Christ and therefore part of the Father and we know it is the Spirit that indwells that allows us to have the mind of Christ.

Croc7801 said:
Dave Slayer said:

Yes, one must believe He is a triune God. If one does not understand the trinity, then one does not understand God because one does not understand the very nature of God.

The trinity is explicit in Scripture; it is not a mystery as some presume or suggest.

"I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, 'He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.' - there is two.

21 Now when all the people were baptized, Jesus was also baptized, and while He was praying, heaven was opened, 22 and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove, and a voice came out of heaven, "You are My beloved Son, in You I am well-pleased." - there is the threesome

Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" - there is the threesome

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

This is explicit as it can get; "name" is singular and "the" indicates a singular; then followed by the trinity.

This is but one of many versus that indicate the work of 3 persons acting in unison as the God-head.

3 But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ.

Christ is the head of the church, the body; therefore we are part of Christ and therefore part of the Father and we know it is the Spirit that indwells that allows us to have the mind of Christ.

So what happens if one does not understand the trinity?

joechrist said:
Croc7801 said:
Dave Slayer said:

So what happens if one does not understand the trinity?

What do you mean; clarify the question. I don't know a Christian that did not have an understanding of the Gods nature being revealed in 3 persons; do you?

no one does not have to believe in the trinity for salvation. that is traditions of men not the word of God( the idea that one has to believe in the trinity to be saved) the fruit of that shows it is an incorrect doctrine, it has been used to burn hang and torture more believers then most doctrines.
(again i am speaking of the doctrine that you must believe in the trinity- i am not speaking of the validity of the trinity itself)

the word of God shows clearly what one what must believe to be saved and the trinity is not there.

GodspromisesRyes said:
no one does not have to believe in the trinity for salvation. that is traditions of men not the word of God( the idea that one has to believe in the trinity to be saved) the fruit of that shows it is an incorrect doctrine, it has been used to burn hang and torture more believers then most doctrines.
(again i am speaking of the doctrine that you must believe in the trinity- i am not speaking of the validity of the trinity itself)

the word of God shows clearly what one what must believe to be saved and the trinity is not there.

Perhaps the JW's and Mormons and all other false religions that deny the trinity, which is the very nature of God, are Christians according to your theology. To believe on the NAME of the Lord Jesus encompasses His very nature, which is revealed by,in and through the trinitarian nature of God.
:wall

Croc7801 said:
GodspromisesRyes said:

Perhaps the JW's and Mormons and all other false religions that deny the trinity, which is the very nature of God, are Christians according to your theology. To believe on the NAME of the Lord Jesus encompasses His very nature, which is revealed by,in and through the trinitarian nature of God.
:wall
what prevents jws and mormons from being christian is not that they deny the trinity. One can believe in the true nature of Christ and be saved, one does not need to understand or believe in the trinity as defined by people to be saved.
When we preach the gospel to the lost we do not preach " and this is the trinity hear and understand to be saved" no we preach christ crucified and risen who is the Son of God who takes away the sin of the world upon whom we must believe to be saved.

We do not require understanding of the trinity and the full workings of Father Son and Holy Spirit for a person to believe unto salvation.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back