Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is It Just Me?

The biggest scam and wealth grab in history was through covid. There is absolutely no way there was any justification for saying essential services only and forcing all fruit and vegetable stores and butchers to close there doors when they are only food service and have the exact same customer service practice as the big corps yet allowing them to stay open when food is classed as an essential service.

That is called favouritism. No one is allowed to close someone else down that will give there competitors an advantage. Correct me if im wrong but I think it's written in law.

Oh, the local family run florist was forced to shut there doors it's not essential service, but don't worry the big corp were allowed to sell there flowers because they were essential service, can get some candy or chocolate to go with it. Essential food service where everyone in the nation is forced to all pile into a small handful of stores to prevent the spread of a contagious disease.

Last edited:
It's amazing how stores ban plastic bags for peoppe to put there groceries in claiming they saving the planet but the store is full of plastic on the products they sell, or fruit and vegetables they have have plastic bags to put them in, and the deli puts your ham in a plastic bag then wraps it in paper, all saving the planet.

It's like Mr McDonald asking for donations after making profit, then Mr McDonald builds a children's hospital Mcdonalds house and gets all the praise and acknowledgement and promotion such a good company that gives to charity when it was all the poor people who donated and gave a donation when they purchased a meal that funded it.

How does that work?. So you pay a quarter to use a cart and when your finished using it where is the incentive to put the cart back when finished?. Do you get your quarter back?. People should get 2 quarters to put a cart back if they payed a quarter for the service, like a waiter will take your plate from your table you dont have to take it back yourself.l you payed for the service. Like recycle centre give you 10 cents for each can or bottle you take back.
It's a complete joke. They want people to shop at there store yet charge them before the customer even starts to purchase there products by renting a cart. Lol.

They want people to fill a cart for profit yet charge them for using a cart and then expect them to put it back when finished rather than giving someone a fulltime job and offering good customer sevice. Time is money, having to put a cart back that should be a quarter. You pay a quarter for the cart then when you put it back you get a quarter back. As long as it doesn't leave the premises then it's returned and still on there property.

So the customer is paying the company to do a job and a service someone should be payed and employed for and have a job. lol.

So not only are they saving costs not having to employee someone to do a service anymore, they are getting paid by the customer for it and the customer does the service. LoL That's hilarious. Rent a cart.
The quarter is returned when the cart is put back and it works, believe it or not. At least around here you won't find a loose cart in the parking lot.

As far as the eliminated job for the person to gather the carts from the lot and return them to the store, well, right now it is nearly impossible for retailers to find help, any help, much less good, reliable help. Around here there are help wanted signs everywhere but to be honest, there are few that I would hire to tie my shoes. Also, as I already said, it reduces costs, so the retailer is able to offer their products at lower cost. It's one way they compete just like inside they do not bag your groceries either. You need to bring your own container or hopefully find empty boxes in the store to use.

If you'd rather not be responsible for the cart yourself or bagging your own purchase, then don't shop at that location and cater to those retailers that fit your ideal. It's not that difficult.

Self-checkout is one that rubs me wrong. I figure that if I'm going to do business there, the least they can do is have a live person take my payment. It is partially for this reason that I rarely shop at Walmart but when I do, I wait in a line for a live clerk to take my payment. It's also one reason I rarely pay at the pump for gasoline. But, alas, I see most people use the self-checkout so the writing is on the wall and eventually I will be left out in the cold as it went with self-service fuel stations.

The quarter is returned when the cart is put back and it works, believe it or not. At least around here you won't find a loose cart in the parking lot.

As far as the eliminated job for the person to gather the carts from the lot and return them to the store, well, right now it is nearly impossible for retailers to find help, any help, much less good, reliable help. Around here there are help wanted signs everywhere but to be honest, there are few that I would hire to tie my shoes. Also, as I already said, it reduces costs, so the retailer is able to offer their products at lower cost. It's one way they compete just like inside they do not bag your groceries either. You need to bring your own container or hopefully find empty boxes in the store to use.

If you'd rather not be responsible for the cart yourself or bagging your own purchase, then don't shop at that location and cater to those retailers that fit your ideal. It's not that difficult.

Self-checkout is one that rubs me wrong. I figure that if I'm going to do business there, the least they can do is have a live person take my payment. It is partially for this reason that I rarely shop at Walmart but when I do, I wait in a line for a live clerk to take my payment. It's also one reason I rarely pay at the pump for gasoline. But, alas, I see most people use the self-checkout so the writing is on the wall and eventually I will be left out in the cold as it went with self-service fuel stations.

They are around . Costs drive slot .

Honestly why pay more for the same thing when despite working for a part store I often buy the exact same thing for a third of the price online ?

I get the warranty problem but often a belt has none ,I can argue for a part that might be bought where I work but honestly .I found a place my job used that rebuilds in a hour and often half the price with a warranty for a year .perfect no? Often the new and remans I sell faik within a few years .

There's also another alternative for guys like Corn Pop. I hear it all the time. Big business is gouging the people. Well, if anyone feels strongly about that and want to make change, start your own business in competition with them. If you're correct in your assertion, you should be able to undercut their prices, pay your employees better, and drive them out of business. That's what competition does in a free market society and we the consumers benefit with the lower costs.

In fact, that's pretty much what companies like Aldi's and Dollar General and others like them are trying to do and how Sam Walton got his start. I think it's humorous how so many find so many faults with companies like this. When Dollar General moved into our town, the first complaints I heard were that they were trying to drive out the other businesses. No kidding?! If any of us decided to start our own business, let's say an auto repair shop, wouldn't it be preferred if the competition couldn't keep up with us and we stole their business?

I guess we're getting a bit off topic, including me. My OP was about what seems to be a push for excessive use of plastic bags.

There's also another alternative for guys like Corn Pop. I hear it all the time. Big business is gouging the people. Well, if anyone feels strongly about that and want to make change, start your own business in competition with them. If you're correct in your assertion, you should be able to undercut their prices, pay your employees better, and drive them out of business. That's what competition does in a free market society and we the consumers benefit with the lower costs.

A free market should be free trade without interference but its not. You need all these licences and regulations and fees just to start. It's a complete joke. They protrcting corporate interests.

I mean it's even illegal for people trade food that's a human right they claim its for health and safety reason yet the processed food thats legal sold is not even first for human consumption.

If I grow some tomatos in my garden im not legally allowed to sell them or even trade them, i can only give them away as a gift. Any form of food. It's all a scam. Food is a human essential service and its one industy that should not be controlled to that degree it is. But because its essential service and human need for life of course the powers will take full control over it.

Sometimes farmers have to dump there crops and they have no option. Its a controlled industry and sometimes farmers have no choice. It's not there fault they dumping tonnes of good food to waste while the world is hungry. It's the controlled industry. And farmers don't set the prices they get told what they getting payed because they need to sell there crops and there bulk buyer is the big corps and they under contract, so no one should ever pick on the farmers. They just trying to provide the food to the world and hopefully make a dollar for there hard work and all the risk they take. They saying they got the food to feed the world but from there it's not in there control.

Last edited:
A free market should be free trade without interference but its not. You need all these licences and regulations and fees just to start. It's a complete joke. They protrcting corporate interests.
Actually, most of the licensing and rules you speak of are intended to protect the patrons, the environment, and others.

When my wife and her two partners decided to purchase a local bar/restaurant, before signing their names they decided it would be due diligent to have the place inspected to see what may be needed. The state inspector gave them a list of about a dozen things that needed to be done and told them they had 10 years to get them done. I don't recall all of them, but I do recall the list including things like central ventilation system, new deep fryer exhaust system, new cooktop/countertop equipment, and others. Since they had 10 years, they felt confident they could make a go of it and purchased the business. A month after being in business a new state inspector came in and ordered those things to be done within 6 months. They were almost bankrupt before they got started. In fact, one of the partners pulled out because of it.

The ventilation system was required to protect patrons by keeping the indoor air cleaner. The fryer exhaust upgrade was required to protect the business and possibly its patrons from fire hazard. The cooktop/countertop equipment had to be replaced with stainless steel to protect patrons from potential germ because it is easier to deep clean and less prone to house germs.

If I grow some tomatos in my garden im not legally allowed to sell them or even trade them, i can only give them away as a gift. Any form of food. It's all a scam. Food is a human essential service and its one industy that should not be controlled to that degree it is. But because its essential service and human need for life of course the powers will take full control over it.
We have farmer's markets all over the place here where people sell home-grown vegetables, fruits, and nuts. I had eggs for breakfast today that came from a neighbor's farm a few miles away. We have a neighbor that grows asparagus and apple trees, and you can pick your own or they will pick them for you. A few of our neighbors here have home-made maple syrup available for purchase every spring. I drove by a farm just the other day advertising beef for sale and every spring I purchase a mixed quarter of beef from my next-door neighbor. The local Amish community is notorious for their products including all of the above mentioned.

We have farmer's markets all over the place here where people sell home-grown vegetables, fruits, and nuts. I had eggs for breakfast today that came from a neighbor's farm a few miles away. We have a neighbor that grows asparagus and apple trees, and you can pick your own or they will pick them for you. A few of our neighbors here have home-made maple syrup available for purchase every spring. I drove by a farm just the other day advertising beef for sale and every spring I purchase a mixed quarter of beef from my next-door neighbor. The local Amish community is notorious for their products including all of the above mentioned.

You obviously live in a region where true fair trade still exists. If I grew a crop in my garden and tried to sell it that would be an offense and i would get shut down, it needs to be a licenced commercial farm and also comply with all the different regulations. I would love to grow vegetable crops in my garden and sell them but it's illegal. I can give it away for free but im not allowed to sell it or trade food.

You obviously live in a region where true fair trade still exists. If I grew a crop in my garden and tried to sell it that would be an offense and i would get shut down, it needs to be a licenced commercial farm and also comply with all the different regulations. I would love to grow vegetable crops in my garden and sell them but it's illegal. I can give it away for free but im not allowed to sell it or trade food.
Yeah, I live in the United States.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Monday, I picked up a crate of peaches from a local farmer that had them shipped in from outside the state. And it looks like we've got some work to do today because yesterday my wife brought home 20 dozen ears of sweet corn she picked up at a neighbor's farm about 4 miles from here. Got them for $3.00 a dozen. Will taste really good this coming winter.

Also, about a month ago we gave two one-gallon zip-lock bags full of green beans to my brother and about 2 weeks ago we brought that much again to our Sunday worship and gave them to anyone that wanted some.

We also got permission from another neighbor just a couple miles down the road to pick apples from a tree on their property. Fresh apple pie. Yum!

One can't sell raw milk
That is one thing you can't get around here. For one thing there aren't too many dairy farms around anymore. The neighbor that we get our beef from sold his 300 head about four years ago and went strictly beef now. It's a liability concern. I suppose someone got sick one time from milk they got directly from the farm and sued so a law was passed. Unless it is taken care of properly, milk spoils fast. It has a relatively short shelf life anyway. It is also highly tested for bacteria and other pathogens before it hits the grocery store shelves.

That is one thing you can't get around here. For one thing there aren't too many dairy farms around anymore. The neighbor that we get our beef from sold his 300 head about four years ago and went strictly beef now. It's a liability concern. I suppose someone got sick one time from milk they got directly from the farm and sued so a law was passed. Unless it is taken care of properly, milk spoils fast. It has a relatively short shelf life anyway. It is also highly tested for bacteria and other pathogens before it hits the grocery store shelves.

Yer we can smoke nicotine ,drink beer and both often causes cancer

My wife's granny died from lung cancer
Plenty of have health issues with beer and it's abuse .

In my home country I'm allowed to grow my own tobacco and brew my own beer and whiskey if I want, not that i do. I don't even think there is a age limit it's just illegal to sell it or for someone to consume it if they underage.

Last edited:
Back