Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to be a Scientist and a Christian?

This is a good topic. Science is a systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation. I think agua nailed it. When scientists don't have an answer (who can know Gods ways?) then they enter philosophy as a crutch. Concoct theories with a secular reasoning mind to make it sound plausible, and to fit their model.

It always amuses me when Christians say that God gave us a reasoning mind. He did not! That happened in the fall, brought on by a lie and a disobedience. We were created in Gods image...Spiritual beings. I don't spirits reason per se, I think there is a 'knowing'. from the heart so to speak. (This is probably my own personal philosophy lol). But could be true!

Go re-read Genesis again, the account of the fall. The tree of knowledge, of good and evil. Satan laid some crappy philosophy on Eve and deceived her...

5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked.../ (They became self-conscious!)

We were NOT created for ourselves. We were created for God. The very first thing that Adam & Eve did with this (God-given, Ha!) knowledge of reasoning was to turn their back on God and start doping things for themselves. And you want to believe that the reasoning mind of man is God given? You better think that one through again, brothers and sisters!

Ok, so before man gained this (ill-gotten) reasoning mind...how did they think? Not with their brain. So "Spirits" "Think" differently than man. God is urging us back into original relationship with Him. We have lost our identities. In Gods image, there is no "reason" there is "knowing" Mature Christians get this proven to them very much so. Have you ever received words of knowledge from the spirit? I have. One day, I suddenly "knew" that one of my Christian Brothers need help, hundreds of miles away. Did I reason this out? (Ha!)

We are bombarded with instruction to, lean not upon our own understanding...live for the Spirit...walk in the Spirit...there is a way which seems right unto man, but leads to death...become as little Children or you WONT see the kingdom of God...C'mon, is this that hard?! It is hard to throw the reasoning mind out the window, and to think with the heart, or to have faith! God was always just, faithful, and honest. Just look to Him for...everything, being anxious for nothing.

We debate a lot on this board. Uh-oh. You know what? Debating builds walls. There is one Spirit. There is no debate, there is GOD. You know what scripture says will happen to debaters? (But Lord, didn't I? didn't I didn't I?) Go away from me, I never knew you..:eek

What's better than being open-minded? Being no-minded, brothers and sisters. Being Spiritual. Live for the Spirit, and trust God.

Ponder that one. :lol Praise God.
Sorry but that is very unbiblical.

God created our bodies right down to the smallest detail. In my opinion, science merely attempts to understand God's creation and how it works. Science does not have to be about proving God doesn't exist but in fact proving He does by learning how intricate and wonderful we truly are. I think too often we Christians pit ourselves against science when it doesn't have to be that way. In my opinion, the more we learn about how we were created the more the awesomeness of God's work is revealed.
The body is so amazing how could you not believe in a creator?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an organization of scientists and interested others, who know that science and God are completely compatible:
http://biologos.org/

Francis Collins is quite eloquent in his discussion of how he came to Christ as a scientist.

What field are you in? View on creation as opposed to evolution? Hm...maybe I shouldn't ask that. Haha. This isn't the debate forum, but people will want to debate it anyway. For my part, I'm asking out of curiosity.

I majored in Biology, got started in Biotech, but now run my own non-bio engineering firm.

My view on evolution- which I obviously studied in depth- is hybrid. I believe in Darwinian evolution through the process of natural selection. I also believe in creationism, that God created the first man and woman. How can I believe in two separate theories which are mutually exclusive and contradictory? Because this happens in nature all the time. Light acts like particles (photons) or waves (radiation) at the same time. This is impossible; something is either a particle or a wave, but cannot be both. Yet it is. Subatomic particles moving near or at the speed of light participate in multiple events simultaneously. Also impossible; only one event can occur at any given time, yet it happens. So I believe in science and God at the same time. Who am I to argue with how the universe works?

Last edited:
I agree WIP. I think that ultimately, with agendas and philosophy aside, that Christianity and science could or perhaps will mesh together. I remember the Tower of babel story and it was said by God that (paraphrased) we better put a stop to it, for now nothing that man can imagine would be impossible...So on some level, there is something to it and science should not be totally disregarded, even if it is somewhat limited.

I majored in Biology, got started in Biotech, but now run my own non-bio engineering firm.

My view on evolution- which I obviously studied in depth- is hybrid. I believe in Darwinian evolution through the process of natural selection. I also believe in creationism, that God created the first man and woman. How can I believe in two separate theories which are mutually exclusive and contradictory? Because this happens in nature all the time. Light acts like particles (photons) or waves (radiation) at the same time. This is impossible; something is either a particle or a wave, but cannot be both. Yet it is. Subatomic particles moving near or at the speed of light participate in multiple events simultaneously. Also impossible; only one event can occur at any given time, yet it happens. So I believe in science and God at the same time. Who am I to argue with how the universe works?

Oh yeah brother, I see what you're saying. i too, have pondered the same thing and think it is possible. In a nutshell...we were created by God, and then began evolving.

Sparrow pointed out the double slit experiment shows us some very interesting stuff a while back. It's very cool.

One day a group of scientists got together and decided that man had come a long way and no longer needed God. So they picked one scientist to go and tell Him that they were done with Him.
The scientist walked up to God and said, "God, we've decided that we no longer need you. We're to the point that we can clone people and do many miraculous things, so why don't you just go on and get lost."
God listened very patiently and kindly to the man and after the scientist was done talking, God said, "Very well, how about this, let's say we have a man making contest." To which the scientist replied, "OK, great!"
But God added, "Now, we're going to do this just like I did back in the old days with Adam."
The scientist said, "Sure, no problem" and bent down and grabbed himself a handful of dirt.
God just looked at him and said, "No, no, no. You go get your own dirt!"

Back