Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Is pre-marital tonsil hockey Biblical?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
D

Dave Slayer

Is pre-marital tonsil hockey Biblical? is it okay to make out with the opposite sex before marriage?

Blazin Bones said:
Um... where is the "thou shalt not swapeth spit" in the Bible?

That isn't in there but speaking from experience, swapping spit led to sex. I am not proud of it, but it happened. It has been 10 years now and I have been celebate since. I personally am not against kissing, but if you kiss for too long, it is like playing with fire and you could get burned if you aren't careful. In my opinion, making out can wait til marriage. Why rush it? Why put yourself in a tempting situation? Once married, you have the rest of your lives to play tonsil hockey and you don't have to worry about going too far. Plus, it gives you more to look forward to on your wedding night. Perhaps some can do it and not get turned on enough to think sexual thoughts, but I know I would get too turned on by it and could very well go too far. For me, it is not best.

I just don't want the preacher to say "you may now kiss the bride again". :biggrin

The Bible does not say "thou shalt not masturbate", but it could lead to impure thoughts. Too much kissing can as well, depending on the person of course. Some may be able to masturbate and think about other stuff like tractors or baked beans. But I know most cannot. Better to be too careful than to be careless.

Dave Slayer said:
[quote="Blazin Bones":2otiisle]Um... where is the "thou shalt not swapeth spit" in the Bible?

That isn't in there but speaking from experience, swapping spit led to sex. I am not proud of it, but it happened. It has been 10 years now and I have been celebate since. I personally am not against kissing, but if you kiss for too long, it is like playing with fire and you could get burned if you aren't careful. In my opinion, making out can wait til marriage. Why rush it? Why put yourself in a tempting situation? Once married, you have the rest of your lives to play tonsil hockey and you don't have to worry about going too far. Plus, it gives you more to look forward to on your wedding night. Perhaps some can do it and not get turned on enough to think sexual thoughts, but I know I would get too turned on by it and could very well go too far. For me, it is not best.

I just don't want the preacher to say "you may now kiss the bride again". :biggrin

The Bible does not say "thou shalt not masturbate", but it could lead to impure thoughts. Too much kissing can as well, depending on the person of course. Some may be able to masturbate and think about other stuff like tractors or baked beans. But I know most cannot. Better to be too careful than to be careless.[/quote:2otiisle]

I can sorta grasp your PoV, but not really. Kissing doesn't have to lead to sex. I think it is all in the people's ability to control themselves. Caroline and I waited 40 days before we started kissing. We started the relationship wanting to save the first kiss for the wedding day as something we wanted to do for God and each other. Well the temptation grew worse and worse and before our first kiss we prayed that God would be honored in how we show affection towards each other. I think it is noble for someone to want to save something like that for the wedding day, but that would take a unique person.

I look at it this way. Paul taught in 1 Corinthians that it is good not to take a wife, but it is just as good to marry and not let a passion for such burn in you. God makes us with our passions and desires. This is why Paul said it is better to marry than to ignore that which God has made you to do. I think Kissing can go along the same lines. If you are burning to kiss the one God has placed in your life, then what is stoping you. Leave that desire at his feet and he will guide you as to how he will meet and fulfill it.

How does this relate to tounging? Well, it's just along the same line. If you can go without it, amen God has given you that strength. However, if you are in a relationship that is given over to God, then let him control your passions and only if that is what youn know to be his will.

My wife grew up in a very conservative church of Christ where that line of thought was mixed in with everything from allowing a guitar into the building to dancing.

For example, that line of reasoning Dave leads to thinking that results in this (and i don't agree with this line of thinking). Dancing is a sin because if you dance, you could get sexually excited and that could lead to premarital sex. Thus, dancing is forbidden and deemed a sin. That line of thinking is based on the "could lead" which is based of a ridged interpretation of scripture with fear as a motivator.. But what if we reversed that thought from a negative to a positive? Dancing could lead to better self control and a deeper reflection with our relationship with God strengthening our relationship with God.

God's commandments are not to suppress life Dave, they are to release us from the oppression of our sinful nature as we enter and walk in the Kingdom of God daily. Kissing your girlfriend passionately is a show of affection and intimacy and if your not married, can be very frustrating from a sexual point of view. Trust me, I know because my wife and I did not cross that line while we were unmarried and believe you me, we were both tempted heavily several times. However, God was first in both of our lives, and pleasing God because we knew he had greater things in store for us was more important than pleasing one another, or ourselves. As a blessing, our marriage night was very special, and spiritual and as a result, really strengthened our relationship.

If you have to ask if something is wrong then 99.9999% of the time you already know the answer but you want man to justify you ignoring what God has already told you!

StoveBolts said:
My wife grew up in a very conservative church of Christ where that line of thought was mixed in with everything from allowing a guitar into the building to dancing.

For example, that line of reasoning Dave leads to thinking that results in this (and i don't agree with this line of thinking). Dancing is a sin because if you dance, you could get sexually excited and that could lead to premarital sex. Thus, dancing is forbidden and deemed a sin. That line of thinking is based on the "could lead" which is based of a ridged interpretation of scripture with fear as a motivator.. But what if we reversed that thought from a negative to a positive? Dancing could lead to better self control and a deeper reflection with our relationship with God strengthening our relationship with God.

God's commandments are not to suppress life Dave, they are to release us from the oppression of our sinful nature as we enter and walk in the Kingdom of God daily. Kissing your girlfriend passionately is a show of affection and intimacy and if your not married, can be very frustrating from a sexual point of view. Trust me, I know because my wife and I did not cross that line while we were unmarried and believe you me, we were both tempted heavily several times. However, God was first in both of our lives, and pleasing God because we knew he had greater things in store for us was more important than pleasing one another, or ourselves. As a blessing, our marriage night was very special, and spiritual and as a result, really strengthened our relationship.

You really don't understand my post but that is okay. I never said it was wrong or even a sin to make out before marriage. I said that for me it would be better to avoid because it has led to pre-marital sex before. I can wait until my wedding night to swap spit. Then I don't have to worry about going too far. Sure, the Bible does not command this, it would be a personal decision for me. What is right for some may not be right for others.

Dave Slayer said:
Is pre-marital tonsil hockey Biblical? is it okay to make out with the opposite sex before marriage?

Hi Dave,

I understood what you wrote. From my own "Personal Experience", I was simply trying to give an example of how somebody might take your personal premarital experience(kissing leads to sex means kissing = sex, thus, kissing is bad because sex is bad.) There are people who have, and continue to think this way. I'm not saying that this is what you believe, I was simply stating that there are brothers and sisters in Christ who actually believe that kissing before marriage could be considered sinful based on logical deduction from the reasons and testimony that you have provided.

My point was more about the "could be" and how that's dealt with. If kissing is too much of a temptation and you or others don't feel they could control the other urges, then stay away from kissing. That's reasonable, and that's what I think I hear you saying. Is this correct?

But hey, if God has called you to celibacy, then I'm all for that and may God continue to bless your walk with him :pray

Grace and peace :pray

Jeff

StoveBolts said:
Dave Slayer said:

Hi Dave,

I understood what you wrote. From my own "Personal Experience", I was simply trying to give an example of how somebody might take your personal premarital experience(kissing leads to sex means kissing = sex, thus, kissing is bad because sex is bad.) There are people who have, and continue to think this way. I'm not saying that this is what you believe, I was simply stating that there are brothers and sisters in Christ who actually believe that kissing before marriage could be considered sinful based on the reasons and testimony that you have provided.

My point was more about the "could be" and how that's dealt with. If kissing is too much of a temptation and you or others don't feel they could control the other urges, then stay away from kissing. That's reasonable, and that's what I think I hear you saying. Is this correct?

But hey, if God has called you to celibacy, then I'm all for that and may God continue to bless your walk with him :pray

Thanks, Jeff. I not only want to try and avoid temptation by not doing too much kissing, but also to have more to look forward to on my wedding night. If I have to wait for something, I think I will appreciate it a lot more.

StoveBolts said:
Grace and peace :pray

Jeff

Dave said:
Thanks, Jeff. I not only want to try and avoid temptation by not doing too much kissing, but also to have more to look forward to on my wedding night. If I have to wait for something, I think I will appreciate it a lot more.

I think that your wedding night will be very uplifting and honorable to our Lord!

Is it a sin to make out before marriage?

Is it a sin to make out before marriage? May I please have some thoughts on the following arguments? Thanks and God Bless!

Source: http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0001429.cfm

Let's talk about two practical arguments that have implications for "just kissing." The first is that all sexual activity is sex. God's design of sex doesn't merely include the act of sexual intercourse. It's also everything that leads up to that act, and everything on the sexual continuum is meant to end in that act. It's called foreplay, and it's a fundamental part of God's design for sex. To borrow (and embellish) an analogy from Michael Lawrence, sexual activity is like a down-hill on-ramp to a highway. It's one way, you gather momentum the second you enter it, and according to the Great Engineer's design of the highway system, there's only one reason to get on it.

This truth bears itself out not only in our emotions, desires, and common sense, but literally in our physical bodies. The moment two people begin kissing or touching each other in a sexual way, both the male and female body  without going into unwarranted detail here  begin "preparing" for sex. God has designed us that way, and when we begin any sort of sexual activity, our bodies know exactly what's going on  even if our self-deluding minds deny it.

I'll simply call the other argument the "wisdom argument." Even if we assume for a moment  just for the sake of argument, mind you  that kissing without doing anything else isn't sex and is therefore OK. When two people care for one another, it is natural to want to consummate that affection physically. In the right context, those desires are good and right and God-glorifying. In any context, they are some of the strongest desires known to human kind. Kissing will only make you want to do more than kiss. It will make you want to indulge in sin. That desire will be strong enough in both of you without blatantly tempting yourself by trying to put just one foot on the on-ramp. It's simply a physiological and emotional reality. If courting such spiritual danger is not sin itself, it is, at the very least, an unwise invitation to sin, what Proverbs calls "folly." Why put someone you claim to care about at spiritual risk?

I havent read all the other comments yet, but if by Biblical you mean is it sin to make out? Overall I would say yes it is as making out is sexual in nature. Sin is sin, yet sure its a 'lesser' sin than full out sex if you want to know that. Ive made out with some girls and regret it. It doesnt do anything to help a relationship and ultimately leaves you feeling guilty. Let alone you are (mutually) taking advantage of each other...

I totally see what you mean, Dave..

I think it all depends on your convictions. For me personally,
I see nothing wrong with kissing.. but I have to be wayyy careful.

Like, where the kissing is taking place, who is around etc

After all, I did become a Christian at 20, and dated the same
guy from 15-18... but anyway, my point is..

it does depend on your convictions, and if you
have already gone too far..its alot worse

Whatever happened to "you may now kiss the bride?" Maybe having 4 teenage daughters has made me see this more clearly! ;)

KrisT said:
I havent read all the other comments yet, but if by Biblical you mean is it sin to make out? Overall I would say yes it is as making out is sexual in nature. Sin is sin, yet sure its a 'lesser' sin than full out sex if you want to know that. Ive made out with some girls and regret it. It doesnt do anything to help a relationship and ultimately leaves you feeling guilty. Let alone you are (mutually) taking advantage of each other...

Taking Advantage of one another? I just doesn't see that... If woman gives herself to be kissed and the man also, where is that sin and where is either taking advantage of that if they kiss the other? I think it falls more in line with controling your body in a way that pleases the Lord.

Keep in mind that all sin is sin and there is no such thing as a lesser sin. If it something we consider a "lesser" sin than perhaps we ought to stop considering it a sin, or begin learning just how impactful on a Christian Walk the sin really is.

not to be against anything becaus I have done stuff I shouldnt have done with my GF, but we do have makeout sessions to releas our sexual tension. It dosent ever push us over the line, we realised that If there is somthing that we want to do togeather (e.x. kissing) if we trie to avoid it after a while the passions gets overwealming and we end up making out like crazzy and crossing some borders without passports.

so now when we see each other we kiss right away, then if we are alone and feel pasionat we kiss or makeout even. it just helps us controll, since wouldnt it be better to be kissing the person instead of avoiding it and having uncontrolable urges to be with the person that would ultimatly lead to somthing you regret like sex.

To each their own opinion but me and my GF are staying pure (no sex) till marrige. but we do play tonsil hockey.

If you love the person with all your heart and know that she is the one forever and ever, and god has showed you this person becaus you were destin to be togeather the shouldnt be any shame in a litle kiss here or hockey game there. just know your limit and play within it.

peace

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back