Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is there Knowledge beyond the Bible?

Hey mutzrein, how's Aukland ?

that relates to a specific one you mention in Daniel 12:4  But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased

what is indeed about increased knowledge. Regarding that prohecy it couldn't be understood prior to the the time of the end because of the seal. Because it can be understood now, means the seal has been taken of.

What 'handy' expounded is a good way to look at it. God's Word covers many, many matters both physical and spiritual which It does not specifically give us direct words about, but instead a type coverage of many matters in a general sort of way. The more you study God's Word, the more of that comes out.

God's Word is also called The Living Word. The reason is because certain Scripture can be applied to past events, present events, and events yet future.

God's Word also teaches at different levels of understanding, at the same time. For example, using knowledge of cars as an analogy. One person may only know how to wash and wax their car, another may know how to check and change the oil, air up the tires, etc., and another may know how the components works and do deeper maintenance (like a mechanic), and another may know how to engineer the car. All... those levels agree with each other. Likewise with God's Word, there can exist various levels of meaning, but each level will always agree with each other.

One of the major methods of teaching God's Word uses is the metaphor, figure of speech, or parable. In many Scriptures a parable is given which won't be fully understood unless much more of The Bible is studied. A clue might be given in one Book, and another clue given in another Book of The Bible, and when it's all put together, the parable understanding comes forth. The "riddle" given to the house of Israel in Ezekiel 17 is one such example, and I declare in honesty, it takes much Bible understanding to grasp the majority of it. The parable of the fig tree our Lord Jesus gave in Matt.24 and Mark 13 is another example, because what all it's about is not covered there where He gave it.

But like 'handy' showed, all that which is understood MUST agree totally with The Bible as written. The way that is to be done is allowing The Bible to interpret Itself. There will be at least two or more Bible witnesses for a specific Truth. With matters our Lord made certain we are to understand, there's multitudes of Bible examples, weaving throughout many Bible Books (like His Salvation coming through His death on the cross).

Look at Apostle Paul as an example of preaching The Gospel, as he was chosen by Christ to preach to the Gentiles, and to kings, and to the children of Israel (Acts 9). How would that mean three different levels? Gentiles that were before not included would begin in the 'milk', not having understanding of many of God's promises He first gave to Israel. Yet the children of Israel would (or should) know about those promises first contained in The Gospel, since Christ was first prophesied to come through the OT prophets. And for kings given power to reign, what would be their responsibility in The Gospel? One of the titles of King James in the original Letter of the 1611 KJV Bible was that of "Defender of The Faith".

So how can a Gentile believer come to understand God's Word on those deeper levels? Through prayer, by The Holy Spirit, and by daily Bible study.

"God's Word is also called The Living Word. "

Amen !

living and flowing

"There will be at least two or more Bible witnesses for a specific Truth."

yes that's an important reminder when dealing with "new revelation" to check with other witnesses.

I understand this but what about the world who have not been called? They could careless about the desires of God. They are a slave to sin, and do not understand and care about a God they do not see or believe in. Look around you, what do you see but murderer and hate and abortion.

handy said:
Benoni said:
I am not a supporter of abortion, by no means but it is far too political and there is no mention of abortion in God's Word. It is a religious agenda.

Which was the point of my post: There is no mention of abortion in God's Word, but there are underlying principles regarding God's sovereignty over life, about His forming us and knowing us in the womb, of the fact that even an unborn child can be filled with the Spirit. By following the call of the Berean, by applying all that we can know about the unborn from the Scriptures, we can gain Godly knowledge about abortion and find it evil.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1 Cor 1:18-20
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1 Cor 2:12-14
For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
1 Cor 2:16
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God.
1 Cor 3:18-19
We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up (exaggerates,over-estimates), but charity edifieth. And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know. But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
1 Cor 8:1-3

The bible is the most precious possesion we have. But reliance must be on the living God and not just a reading of words in a book. Remember that the Pharisees knew the word very well. Remember that the devil used the word to tempt Jesus in the desert. The word can be used to kill as well as heal. But only the Spirit of God is qualified to interpret the scriptures. It is the Spirit that gives life. The Spirit that guides into all truth. Christians are people of the Spirit. The Jews are people of the book. True conversion is from the deadness of the letter to the life in the Spirit. The bible cannot raise anyone from the dead. Neither has the bible been ever succesfully used as a magic book to accomplish miracles. Those who don't walk in the power of heaven are not His.

The bible testifies of a living God...and a new and living way through a death and a new power to live without sin...a way of holiness. I fear that most believers have not progressed beyond an Old Testament understanding of the bible. The OT is concerned with righteousness. The New Covenant is in His righteousness and holiness. It is a further revelation of God's ways in the Spirit. Remember that the miracles of the NT were accomplished without a written New Testament. Now that there are millions of written NT's are there more miracles and holy men and women of God???

I believe God can give direct revelation to the mind and heart that may not be spoken of specifically in the bible. However, God will NEVER contradict his Word, so any revelation received should be tested against scripture to determine its validity.

Adullam said:
The bible is the most precious possesion we have. But reliance must be on the living God and not just a reading of words in a book. Remember that the Pharisees knew the word very well. Remember that the devil used the word to tempt Jesus in the desert. The word can be used to kill as well as heal. But only the Spirit of God is qualified to interpret the scriptures. It is the Spirit that gives life. The Spirit that guides into all truth. Christians are people of the Spirit. The Jews are people of the book. True conversion is from the deadness of the letter to the life in the Spirit. The bible cannot raise anyone from the dead. Neither has the bible been ever succesfully used as a magic book to accomplish miracles. Those who don't walk in the power of heaven are not His.
yet, when used correctly, as that is all we can worry about where ourselves are concerned, that we seek sincerely from God when reading His Word, the Word is transformation, we can be renewed in our minds, we can have the mind of Christ - all of these can be accomplished when we read His Word. The Word tells us we should be able to raise people from the dead, heal the sick and w/out the Word we would not know that. as we are conformed into His image by reading and hearing the Word of God, it supernaturally transforms us.
Adullam said:
The bible testifies of a living God...and a new and living way through a death and a new power to live without sin...a way of holiness. I fear that most believers have not progressed beyond an Old Testament understanding of the bible. The OT is concerned with righteousness. The New Covenant is in His righteousness and holiness. It is a further revelation of God's ways in the Spirit. Remember that the miracles of the NT were accomplished without a written New Testament. Now that there are millions of written NT's are there more miracles and holy men and women of God???
if you read many other posters in this thread, they really do seem to have a grasp on what the Word of God is intended for.
and yes, there are more miracles today.

This is how the dead are raised...
Romans 6:4 said:
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

glorydaz said:
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
in the paper i just read about this lady who had a baby over the Christmas holidays, she was in the hospital, both her and her baby stopped breathing, the husband thought he had lost both of them! now they are both doing great.

i'm sure the husband sees as both his wife and baby were brought back and if you ask him, i'm sure he would tell you it was a miracle. if they did not know the Lord before, perhaps this incident caused them to turn to Him.

Obviously - Melchizedek, Abraham, Moses, Elijah, et. al. did fine without their Thomas Nelson NIV...

We need God.

Best,
Anth

DarcyLu said:
glorydaz said:
in the paper i just read about this lady who had a baby over the Christmas holidays, she was in the hospital, both her and her baby stopped breathing, the husband thought he had lost both of them! now they are both doing great.

i'm sure the husband sees as both his wife and baby were brought back and if you ask him, i'm sure he would tell you it was a miracle. if they did not know the Lord before, perhaps this incident caused them to turn to Him.

No man raised them from the dead. A person stops breathing, or his heart stops beating, or he's declared brain dead....does that mean he's dead, indeed? I say no. Are they "raised from the dead" when their heart begins to beat again? When someone was raised from the dead in the Bible, they were dead, and those were miracles performed by man so that God would be revealed.
"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" (Heb. 9:27)

Elijah and Elisha in the OT each raised someone from the dead. Jesus raised three people from the dead. Paul and Peter each raised someone from the dead. Later, Paul couldn't even heal his friend Timothy. Those were all isolated incidents for the purpose of reavealing the power of God.

Of course God still answers prayer and works miracles where He see fit. I've seen a few myself. Does that mean we'll go around raising people from the dead and causing the cripple to walk? No.

glorydaz said:
Elijah and Elisha in the OT each raised someone from the dead. Jesus raised three people from the dead. Paul and Peter each raised someone from the dead. Later, Paul couldn't even heal his friend Timothy. Those were all isolated incidents for the purpose of reavealing the power of God.

Of course God still answers prayer and works miracles where He see fit. I've seen a few myself. Does that mean we'll go around raising people from the dead and causing the cripple to walk? No.
we are of the same Spirit as Christ, we have the same Spirit poured out at Pentecost, if we are baptized in the Holy Spirit, signs will follow.

i believe God will give us what we ask for if we ask in faith, if we are in His Word, it would be difficult to ask something outside of His will, imo, for instance, winning the lottery as that would not be something we should be asking for, but asking for His healing and believing He will heal - what is wrong with that?

Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.

James 1:1 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing doubting: for he that doubteth is like the surge of the sea driven by the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive anything of the Lord;
a doubleminded man, unstable in all his ways.

DarcyLu said:
glorydaz said:

we are of the same Spirit as Christ, we have the same Spirit poured out at Pentecost, if we are baptized in the Holy Spirit, signs will follow.

i believe God will give us what we ask for if we ask in faith, if we are in His Word, it would be difficult to ask something outside of His will, imo, for instance, winning the lottery as that would not be something we should be asking for, but asking for His healing and believing He will heal - what is wrong with that?

Matthew 10:8
Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.

James 1:1 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing doubting: for he that doubteth is like the surge of the sea driven by the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive anything of the Lord;
a doubleminded man, unstable in all his ways.

I don't doubt God at all. I also know He will not suspend His natural laws ...including moving mountains. We're tempting God when we ask anything to "prove" His power by ignoring His natural laws, which is why we always pray His will be done. When I was first saved, my grandpa was near death in the hospital. I prayed I would be the only family in the room when he died because I knew how hard it would be on everyone else. It seems a rather silly prayer looking back, but the nurse annouced that he was resting peacefully and the family should go home and get some rest. He took a turn for the worse and the nurse suggested we call the family back. My sister, who had remained with me, went out to make the call. He passed before she could return and before the family arrived. I was the only one present. I have no doubt the Lord answered my prayer. I had already prayed for his healing, but the prayer the Lord answered was the one in His will.

glorydaz said:
I don't doubt God at all. I also know He will not suspend His natural laws ...including moving mountains. We're tempting God when we ask anything to "prove" His power by ignoring His natural laws, which is why we always pray His will be done. When I was first saved, my grandpa was near death in the hospital. I prayed I would be the only family in the room when he died because I knew how hard it would be on everyone else. It seems a rather silly prayer looking back, but the nurse annouced that he was resting peacefully and the family should go home and get some rest. He took a turn for the worse and the nurse suggested we call the family back. My sister, who had remained with me, went out to make the call. He passed before she could return and before the family arrived. I was the only one present. I have no doubt the Lord answered my prayer. I had already prayed for his healing, but the prayer the Lord answered was the one in His will.

i do not see it as asking God to "prove" His power, i see it as believing what the Word tells us and trusting God will and can do what He says He can do. i don't see it at all as us doing anything, we are Jesus' Body and He works through us while we are abiding in Him.

i completely disagree with you that God will not and can not suspend His natural laws, i don't know who told you that, but there is no evidence in the Word to support your theory. in fact, i personally know of instances when He did suspend His natural laws and i can not believe a Christian would put God in a box and say He can not do to nature (or any other tangible item) what He wishes. He created it!

DarcyLu said:
glorydaz said:

i do not see it as asking God to "prove" His power, i see it as believing what the Word tells us and trusting God will and can do what He says He can do. i don't see it at all as us doing anything, we are Jesus' Body and He works through us while we are abiding in Him.

i completely disagree with you that God will not and can not suspend His natural laws, i don't know who told you that, but there is no evidence in the Word to support your theory. in fact, i personally know of instances when He did suspend His natural laws and i can not believe a Christian would put God in a box and say He can not do to nature (or any other tangible item) what He wishes. He created it!
You're certainly free to disagree...of course that doesn't mean you're correct, either.

glorydaz said:
You're certainly free to disagree...of course that doesn't mean you're correct, either.

:lol

Sorry glory but that one struck me funny.

:oops

:D

glorydaz said:
the problem with Christianity is people such as yourself have put God into a box and we, as His Body, are not doing the work He has called us to do. you can live your life limiting God's ability to work through your part, but there are people out here who believe in God and His promises and know He can do what He says He can do.

"the problem with Christianity is people such as yourself... yada, yada, yada"

The topic is "Is there Knowledge beyond the Bible?"
I don't see "glorydaz" anywhere in the OP. :shrug

As a reminder to ALL and not just in this one thread...
Please, do be careful voicing opinion about another member in public. :yes

Rick W said:
"the problem with Christianity is people such as yourself... yada, yada, yada"

The topic is "Is there Knowledge beyond the Bible?"
I don't see "glorydaz" anywhere in the OP. :shrug

As a reminder to ALL and not just in this one thread...
Please, do be careful voicing opinion about another member in public. :yes

Rick, you address my post as voicing opinions about another yet when glory write this, he gets away with it.
glorydaz wrote:

so you are telling me this is not glory voicing his opinion about my post and then you go on to not only make fun of what I say and but you actually support him in what he said???

Back