Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is this a vow?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Britney

I would like to preface this with saying that I have OCD and am trying to recover. OCD involves intrusive thoughts and compulsions to pacify the OCD (it never really works). It's like not stepping on a crack so you don't break your mother's back. Some time ago I was a little unstable and stressed about whether I had made a vow in the past and was asking my mom about what she thought and in my state I thought, "whatever she says I will go with" . And it took a few seconds before I was like, "wait, no. I don't want to vow". She ended up saying she didn't think so on whether I had vowed before. Then I was by myself and touching my thumb nail with my pointer finger I think and I thought "if I touch my nail in this wrong way then I will make it a vow" even if it wasn't before. Then I got the feeling that I shouldn't indulge that thought and take on the challenge but then I was like I can beat this challenge and I tried to touch my nail the right way. I don't really know if I did it wrong. So did I make a vow? If it was I don't even know what all I would be vowing because the situation was kind of vague. Do I have to abide by this?

So did I make a vow? If it was I don't even know what all I would be vowing because the situation was kind of vague. Do I have to abide by this?

Vows, promises, oaths etc etc have to be voluntarily entered into, when someone hold a vgun to your head and makes you promise to do something. That promise made under duress is not binding.
OCD is a compulsion to do something, you are not free to make promises, vows etc under OCD, you have to and as a result they are not binding.

God knows what ocd is doing to you and he will not judge you because a mental illness has caused you to do, say, think or belief something.

Please follow this link to a free site that provides advice on OCD:-
25 Tips for Succeeding in Your OCD Treatment - International OCD Foundation
https://iocdf.org/expert-opinions/25-tips-for-ocd-treatment/
Do read it, share it with family and friends etc, particularly point 4 intrusive thoughts.

The little I do know about OCD is like Who Me has said that intrusive thoughts can make a person do things they would not rationally do. I don't know what the vow you made is and really do not need to know other than you are not bound to it. Just keep your focus on Christ and your fellowship with other Christians and keep building that personal relationship with Him. Will keep you in my prayers.

I would like to preface this with saying that I have OCD and am trying to recover. OCD involves intrusive thoughts and compulsions to pacify the OCD (it never really works). It's like not stepping on a crack so you don't break your mother's back. Some time ago I was a little unstable and stressed about whether I had made a vow in the past and was asking my mom about what she thought and in my state I thought, "whatever she says I will go with" . And it took a few seconds before I was like, "wait, no. I don't want to vow". She ended up saying she didn't think so on whether I had vowed before. Then I was by myself and touching my thumb nail with my pointer finger I think and I thought "if I touch my nail in this wrong way then I will make it a vow" even if it wasn't before. Then I got the feeling that I shouldn't indulge that thought and take on the challenge but then I was like I can beat this challenge and I tried to touch my nail the right way. I don't really know if I did it wrong. So did I make a vow? If it was I don't even know what all I would be vowing because the situation was kind of vague. Do I have to abide by this?
Hi Britney
I'm sorry you have such a heavy burden in your life.
Stay close to God and don't ever abandon Him.
You have made no oath.
You are loved by Jesus.

No - not a vow.

Back