Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is unbelief a sin?

SEE the real problem with the word’s “freewill or “choice is they are a non scriptural principle; I have searched and cannot not find the concept of freewill or the word “free will/freewill†in the Bible except the Freewill Offering in the OT. Now there are a few verses in the OT the hint towards free will; but that has nothing to do with salvation; salvation is a NT revelation.

The so called hyper hole you mentioned is religion with the concept of freewill; a word that comes from the mind of man or the traditions of religion and not the scripture. NOW with this valid point made; not only does the Bible not mention these two words; it teaches totally the opposite.

So how can unbelief be a sin?

Free: Unbelief means I want to continue committing evil rather than good. As I understand the scripture, if the Spirit of God comes upon you - you know. Now, when the Spirit calls, you have a cross road in your life

1) believe in God and change as prompted by The Spirit
2) lie to yourself and do not change

Unbelief happens because of not humbling myself before God and not accepting his authority.

Personally it seems an unbeleiver is someone who has actually listened quite carefully, understands, and thinks fully understands the consequences of their action of not believing in God. Believing in God is the only requirement to be a believer. Someone not believing His promises is just confused or has an unconventional understanding of scripture. (Jesus could be unconventional in His understanding of scripture)

It seems that demons believe in God and shudder. We can believe in God and not believe in some promise. God has this thing called Grace. I know of no scripture requiring you to believe in any more than God, but when the Bible talks about believing your actions will follow through. Believe he is the God of the universe and act like it. I would like to hear a person's reason for not believing a promise if they completely with their heart and soul believe in God.

Let us look a little closer at this awesome verse especially the Strong’s Concordances reference
<9999 >, it is worse then 666.

(KJV) John 3 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:15 That whosoever believeth in him should (not perish,) should be omitted), but have eternal life.16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that (whosoever, should be "all") (believeth, should be that "all believing") in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

The following are a direct quote from Strong’s Concordance.

John 3:15
<9999 > should
<9999 > not
<9999 > perish,
<9999 > but

NT:9999

9999 inserted word (x);

This word was added by the translators for better readability in the English. There is no actual word in the Hebrew/Greek text. The word may be displayed in italics, or in parentheses or other brackets, to indicate that it is not in the original text.

Now we will look at a passage in the New Testament; viz., that precious declaration in John 3:16,

"God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son," etc. We will take into consideration verses 14-17 inclusive; first I will clear up several points of obscurity and error and then give the rendering as it should be.

In verse 15 the words "not perish but" should be omitted; according to the best authorities they have been interpolated, probably from the following verse; they are left out from the New Version.

Strong's Whosoever 3956 pas (pas);including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole: KJV-- all (manner of, means), alway (-s), any (one), X daily, + ever, every (one, way), as many as, + no (-thing), X thoroughly, whatsoever, whole, whosoever.

The word "whosoever" in the l5th and l6th verses should be rendered "all"; in the original it is the word usually rendered all throughout the New Testament; it occurs hundreds of times, and it is rendered
"all" in over nine hundred instances, and whosoever in only about forty; the rendering all then is plainly the usual one.

The word rendered "believeth," in the original is a participle, "believing"; the clause should read, "that all, believing in him should not," etc. The words, "believing in him," are explanatory, telling us how "all" are to be saved, viz, by believing in him. In the common version it will be noticed that the participle is, without authority, rendered by the verb "believeth," and the words, "whosoever believeth in him" are thereby made to have a conditional force, as though it read, if they believe in him, implying that some will not believe in him, and hence will perish, and be lost eternally.

But this is not a correct rendering of the original, as I have shown above; the clause is not conditional, but is thrown in, as a participial form, as explanatory of the manner of the world's salvation, by believing in him; this view is fully confirmed by the l9th verse; "for God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world but that the world through him might be saved."

Might be saved: Stong's 4982 sozo (sode'-zo); from a primary sos (contraction for obsolete saoz, "safe"); to save, i.e. deliver or protect (literally or figuratively): KJV-- heal, preserve, save (self), do well, be
(make) whole. The word “might†was added by the translator

Now I will give the whole passage as it ought to be.

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the son of man be lifted up, that all,
believing in him. might have æonial life. For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son,
that all, believing in him, might not perish, but have æonial life. For God sent not his Son into the world
to condemn the world but that the world through him be saved."

Thus truthfully translated this passage is one of the grandest and most sweeping declarations of the final universal triumph of God's grace in the salvation of the world, contained in the Bible. It is positive and direct, and mighty enough, could they only appreciate it, to utterly silence all those narrow, shortsighted souls who think that God will only gain a partial victory over the devil, that he will not save the world, but only a portion of it, a vast number being eternally lost. It is very plain why the translators of the common version handled this passage as they did. Their creed would not allow them to accept it just as it reads; it required only a slight change to make it conform to their own idea. They insert the unusual rendering "whosoever," change believing to "believeth," and then, punctuating it accordingly, the passage is "tinkered" so as to harmonize with the creed. Thank God for deliverance from man made creeds!

"Let God be true, though every man be false" (Rom. 3:4).

Young’s Literal John 3:14 `And as Moses did lift up the serpent in the wilderness, so it behoveth the Son of Man to be lifted up, 15 that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during, 16 for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during. 17 For God did not send His Son to the world that he may judge the world, but that the world may be saved through him;

William, nice opinion but where is the beef?

I mean where is your scriptural backing?

I just went over John 3:15-16, but there is so much more.

Carnal man cannot believe God until God draws you/drags you/quicken you. Carnal man is a slave to sin; and not only does he not have a freewill or choice to receive the things of God it is his nature to totally reject all things of God and that is the way God created him. The carnal man is dead; when Adam died we all died; but Adam did not die physically the moment of the curse; he live physically until Genesis 5:5 and was 930 years old.

But spiritual death happened to him and Eve; they lost that communion with the Father in heaven. I believe God’s glory slowly departed early men in Genesis that is why they live for so long.

Can a dead man see, hear, smell, taste; etc. No this is double true to a spiritual dead man who cannot see, hear the things of God. A lot of our religious brothers are pretty dead too. Just because you are a believer does not stop you from being carnal.

If God does not quicken you; you are spiritually dead.

People believing in freewill or choice have no scriptural reference.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw (Greek drag) him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

The words translated "draw" and "drew" in the Greek New Testament are HELKUO and HELKO. Each of these words has the basic meaning of "compel ... .. draw," "pull," and "tug." In most instances the force which does the drawing or compelling is sufficient to cause the object of the drawing to respond fully. For example, in Jn. 18:10, it is said that "Peter having a sword DREW it..." The impetuous disciple most assuredly did not draw the weapon out of its sheath in a gingerly or wooing fashion. Nor did the sword seek to draw itself out by its own will and good pleasure! Peter didn't merely "invite" the sword to come out, in spite of any resistance the blade may have had as it dragged the leather scabbard, the muscular arm of Peter yanked it forcefully out in obedience to his will.

Like I said freewill or choice cannot be found anywhere in the bible when it comes to salvation.

wiLLiam said:
Free: Unbelief means I want to continue committing evil rather than good. As I understand the scripture, if the Spirit of God comes upon you - you know. Now, when the Spirit calls, you have a cross road in your life

1) believe in God and change as prompted by The Spirit
2) lie to yourself and do not change

Unbelief happens because of not humbling myself before God and not accepting his authority.

Personally it seems an unbeleiver is someone who has actually listened quite carefully, understands, and thinks fully understands the consequences of their action of not believing in God. Believing in God is the only requirement to be a believer. Someone not believing His promises is just confused or has an unconventional understanding of scripture. (Jesus could be unconventional in His understanding of scripture)

It seems that demons believe in God and shudder. We can believe in God and not believe in some promise. God has this thing called Grace. I know of no scripture requiring you to believe in any more than God, but when the Bible talks about believing your actions will follow through. Believe he is the God of the universe and act like it. I would like to hear a person's reason for not believing a promise if they completely with their heart and soul believe in God.

Belief has many levels. What most called saved is justification by faith, not full salvation. I believe that is many fundamental believe; but it is so much more then that; salvation as most call it is more like justification of your faith a good example would be the thief on the cross.

Heb 9:28
So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many;
and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
(KJV)

Amplified Bible says full salvation

Amplified Bible (AMP)

Heb. 9: 28
Even so it is that Christ, having been offered to take upon Himself and bear as a burden the sins of many once and once for all, will appear a second time, not to carry any burden of sin nor to deal with sin, but to bring to full salvation those who are [eagerly, constantly, and patiently] waiting for and expecting Him.

Thirty, sixty one hundred fold, press towards that mark; God has a deep walk for those who dare go beyond the basics. The word saved means to be saved, healed, delivered, set free Strong’s NT:4982 sozo (sode'-zo); from a primary sos (contraction for obsolete saoz, "safe"); to save, i.e. deliver or protect (literally or figuratively): Any of these words can be interchanged.

Philippians 3:13-15 (King James Version)

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

In my Fathers house are many mansions; or Greek abiding place. All people have a different abiding place then me. My place is not to condemn that abiding place but to seek, ask and knock to know God in a deeper abiding place that I am now. If God has not called you in another abiding place/spiritual room/spiritual plane/deeper understanding then that is all you can understand. Many are shallow, superficial, and religious or where ever God has placed them; you cannot change that; only God’s spirit has that power to draw all men to Himself.
Cornelius said:
I still want to know what unbelief means.

Does it mean
1) I do not believe in God
or/and (maybe)
2) I do not believe what God promises.

Can we believe in God and not believe the promises ? What happens when we do that?

Benoni,

Hello and welcome! :wave

I'd like to ask you a quick question. As your aware, when Jesus speaks, he is usually referencing a story from the OT.

When Jesus says what he says in John 3:16-17, keeping in mind to whom Jesus is speaking, which story do you believe he is referencing and why?

Grace and peace.

Jeff

stovebolts: you got me thinking, your question is difficult. If you know the answer please tell the rest of us but this is my answer.

After googling the net I found a very good, well written, long, and free, thesis called "CONTRIBUTIONS OF JESUS TO A MODERN DISCUSSION OF INSPIRATION" written by Robert Alan Kraft, found at http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rak//publics/ ... Thesis.htm

This author points out how the gospel of John is written in a different manner than other gospels and this gospel doesn't have Jesus referencing the OT much.

Direct Formal Quotations

But the problem is even more significant when the gospel of John also is considered. In the subject matter of appendix 1 there were no sections from John paralleled by any Synoptic, and as a whole, very little of the other Synoptic matter (with the obvious exception of the execution and resurrection of Jesus) is used by John. In many ways, the Jesus of John does not appear to have the same methods and characteristics as the Jesus [[18]] of the Synoptics.\28/ This becomes increasingly apparent in certain aspects of the present study. Whereas the Synoptics are filled with incidental language of Jesus which accords with the Old Testament (see appendix 2), John has comparatively few "informal quotations."\29/

-----

Jesus seemed to follow a formula when quoting the OT.

Direct Formal Quotations

<h4>The Formulas</>. -- Jesus is often represented as introducing Old Testament quotations by specific formulas. Probably the simple "it is written" or "it stands written" is the most common. Also common in the Gospel presentation of Jesus' references are introductions such as "it is said" or "you have heard that it was said." The sources of the quotation are sometimes quite specific ("Isaiah," "Daniel," "Moses"), but more often the reference is general ("it," "God," "scriptures," "law").

Despite this mass of formulas, however, little may be dogmatically concluded from them. To the reader of the parallel columns in appendix 1, it is apparent that the Evangelists do not always agree as to the exact formula used by Jesus.\85/ What formulas did the Lord actually use? Probably [[40]] he used those which the Gospels attribute to him, but not positively the particular formula cited in any particular instance. It is quite likely that the tradition and editing which stands behind the Gospel records had a voice in the formulas credited to Jesus. The exegete, therefore, must be careful not to build Jesus' doctrine of inspiration on the exact wording of these formulas.

-----

So because the gospel of John doesn't quote Jesus doing these references as much and because the formula Jesus used when He quoted the OT wasn't used, my answer would be He is not referencing OT this time. I haven't had time to look into this extensively and if I am wrong and you have an answer tell all of us. Thanks

I wonder sometimes of what is different about our belief., and the devils, for the Bible says even the Devil believes, and trembles.
Evidently there was no room for repentance with the angels?
When Satan and his fell, there was no more chance for renewal?

Christ died for sinners to repentance, but evidently not the fallen angels! :crazy

Just my brain going off the deep end this morning, and wondering.
Have never heard anyone comment on this before.
Is there clarification in the Bible that angels cant repent?

wiLLiam said:
benoni: when I read revelations 3:20 "Behold I stand at the door and knock" that verse just has a feel that it speaks to all people. I don't believe its a matter of Him not call but maybe us not hearing.

I still say that unbelief is just a symptom of sin not the cause. We choose unbelief because we intend to choose to keep sinning. It is really just about what a person loves and if a person loves darkness that person will then choose unbelief.

Revelation is the most spiritual book in the whole Bible; unbelivers cannot receive it let alone most belivers.

Freewill towards salvation is a non-scriptural word and cannot be found in the Bible. Sure you have a freewill to sin, to buy a gas at the gas station you decide to buy it from. Did you choose your parents; what country you were brought up in, or did you have anything to do with Adams fall?

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw (Greek drag) him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

The words translated "draw" and "drew" in the Greek New Testament are HELKUO and HELKO. Each of these words has the basic meaning of "compel ... .. draw," "pull," and "tug." In most instances the force which does the drawing or compelling is sufficient to cause the object of the drawing to respond fully. For example, in Jn. 18:10, it is said that "Peter having a sword DREW it..."

We know facts. Knowledge puffs up.

Faith works by love (at the voice of God). Love edifies.

It is necessary to be puffed up, before you can be humbled by the voice.

The voice will reveal the invisible Christ of the written word; his death and his resurrection.

Facts are used by teachers that teach through knowledge, that go before the invisible Christ, preparing the way for the invisible things of Christ.
Facts make us conscious of the visible things of Christ. This is know Christ after the flesh, which we all must go through that gate. We cannot reject the visible things of Christ and receive the spiritual things of Christ.

The Spirit of truth reveals the invisible (to the optical eye) Christ to the eyes of the understanding. Then we do not glory in the flesh. We then worship Christ and the Father through the spirit. This is foolishness to those who worship Christ through the elements of the flesh, yet thinking to be teachers of others. Jesus, the Christ, does dwell in flesh and bones at the right hand of God in our behalf, to the glory of God the Father.

Suffer the little children (though they be 100 years old) to come to Christ and forbid them not. As children they are innocent in their misunderstanding. When they think to be teachers, that is when they need to learn again what are the 1st principles of God. They need milk again. That they may repent again.

Little children are forgiven and in this they have known the Father. Overcoming occurs in our spiritual youth. Understanding comes when we become spiritual fathers. 1 John 2.

The little children's robes are washed in the blood of the Lamb. They are given to testify at home among brethren, but they are not clothed with the armour of righteousness to do battle against the enemy. This clothing comes through the washing of water by the word, for those who have first been washed in the blood.

Unbelief is a sin against the invisible things of Jesus. Transgression is a disobedience against a conscious command. Everyone must begin with the commands and obey the things of which we are mentally conscious then Christ invites us up to a higher seat, to deal with Unbelief and the matters of the spiritual purpose of God in Christ.

Joe

StoveBolts said:
Benoni,

Hello and welcome! :wave

I'd like to ask you a quick question. As your aware, when Jesus speaks, he is usually referencing a story from the OT.

When Jesus says what he says in John 3:16-17, keeping in mind to whom Jesus is speaking, which story do you believe he is referencing and why?

Grace and peace.

Jeff

First of all I approach John 3:16 very carefully, what is written in the letter of the Bible is not what is written in the original language. With all this aside yes much of the OT points to this awesome verse; just to name a few examples would be the Feast of Passover as well as the Outer Court of the Temple.

Here is just a litttle bit on John 3:16 what I am speaking about.

.Let us look a little closer at this awesome verse especially the Strong’s Concordances reference <9999 >, it is worse then 666.

(KJV) John 3 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:15 That whosoever believeth in him should (not perish,) should be omitted), but have eternal life.16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that (whosoever, should be "all") (believeth, should be that "all believing") in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

The following are a direct quote from Strong’s Concordance.

John 3:15
<9999 > should
<9999 > not
<9999 > perish,
<9999 > but

NT:9999

9999 inserted word (x);

This word was added by the translators for better readability in the English. There is no actual word in the Hebrew/Greek text. The word may be displayed in italics, or in parentheses or other brackets, to indicate that it is not in the original text.

Now we will look at a passage in the New Testament; viz., that precious declaration in John 3:16,

"God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son," etc. We will take into consideration verses 14-17 inclusive; first I will clear up several points of obscurity and error and then give the rendering as it should be.

In verse 15 the words "not perish but" should be omitted; according to the best authorities they have been interpolated, probably from the following verse; they are left out from the New Version.

Strong's Whosoever 3956 pas (pas);including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole: KJV-- all (manner of, means), alway (-s), any (one), X daily, + ever, every (one, way), as many as, + no (-thing), X thoroughly, whatsoever, whole, whosoever.

The word "whosoever" in the l5th and l6th verses should be rendered "all"; in the original it is the word usually rendered all throughout the New Testament; it occurs hundreds of times, and it is rendered
"all" in over nine hundred instances, and whosoever in only about forty; the rendering all then is plainly the usual one.

The word rendered "believeth," in the original is a participle, "believing"; the clause should read, "that all, believing in him should not," etc. The words, "believing in him," are explanatory, telling us how "all" are to be saved, viz, by believing in him. In the common version it will be noticed that the participle is, without authority, rendered by the verb "believeth," and the words, "whosoever believeth in him" are thereby made to have a conditional force, as though it read, if they believe in him, implying that some will not believe in him, and hence will perish, and be lost eternally.

But this is not a correct rendering of the original, as I have shown above; the clause is not conditional, but is thrown in, as a participial form, as explanatory of the manner of the world's salvation, by believing in him; this view is fully confirmed by the l9th verse; "for God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world but that the world through him might be saved."

Might be saved: Stong's 4982 sozo (sode'-zo); from a primary sos (contraction for obsolete saoz, "safe"); to save, i.e. deliver or protect (literally or figuratively): KJV-- heal, preserve, save (self), do well, be
(make) whole. The word “might†was added by the translator

Now I will give the whole passage as it ought to be.

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the son of man be lifted up, that all,
believing in him. might have æonial life. For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son,
that all, believing in him, might not perish, but have æonial life. For God sent not his Son into the world
to condemn the world but that the world through him be saved."

Thus truthfully translated this passage is one of the grandest and most sweeping declarations of the final universal triumph of God's grace in the salvation of the world, contained in the Bible. It is positive and direct, and mighty enough, could they only appreciate it, to utterly silence all those narrow, shortsighted souls who think that God will only gain a partial victory over the devil, that he will not save the world, but only a portion of it, a vast number being eternally lost. It is very plain why the translators of the common version handled this passage as they did. Their creed would not allow them to accept it just as it reads; it required only a slight change to make it conform to their own idea. They insert the unusual rendering "whosoever," change believing to "believeth," and then, punctuating it accordingly, the passage is "tinkered" so as to harmonize with the creed. Thank God for deliverance from man made creeds!

"Let God be true, though every man be false" (Rom. 3:4).

Young’s Literal John 3:14 `And as Moses did lift up the serpent in the wilderness, so it behoveth the Son of Man to be lifted up, 15 that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during, 16 for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during. 17 For God did not send His Son to the world that he may judge the world, but that the world may be saved through him;

Benoni,
Thanks for the explanation, now are the moderators going to lock the thread from herectic's like you and me.
Grace, Bubba

First of all, a sin is something that you personally choose to do that is not in accordance with God. Belief itself is not a personal choice therefore cannot be a sin in itself. For example, if I held a gun to your head and told you to believe in the tooth fairy or I'll shoot you. Could you believe in the tooth fairy? No, you couldn't because you do not have enough evidence and you actually have good reason not to believe it. Now you could tell me, "Yes I do believe in the tooth fairy to prevent me from shooting you. But you would not honestly believe it. You believe something based on the evidence put before you and you're heart cannot go against that. God realizes that and therefore it is not a sin.

To each man is given a portion of faith.
Unbelief is unfaithfulness, apistia , faithlessness, apeitheia.

apeitheia
1) obstinacy, obstinate opposition to the Divine Will
apistia
  • 1) unfaithfulness, faithless[/*:m:25tw1s2s]
  • 2) want of faith, unbelief[/*:m:25tw1s2s]
  • 3) weakness of faith[/*:m:25tw1s2s]

If we are given Faith from God and we place it into a false belief system? Is it sin?
If we think that our own intellect is greater than God? It is sin?

Anything done that is not done out from and based on GOD-Trust is sin.

Back