Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Unbelief/Doubt in Christ a Sin?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hey All,
The Holy Spirit eats algorithms for lunch.
Nothing will stand in the way of the Holy Spirit reaching and guiding a doubting soul towards salvation.
People seeking affirmation have made a decision.
People who doubt, but are truly searching will find an answer. That's a promise.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
The Spirit only speaks what He hears, presumably from the mind of the Spirit, not on His own.

It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God. 'Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me

Not all listen and learn. The warning -do not harden your hearts as the Israelites did in the wilderness.

Jesus-No one comes to me unless the Father enables them. -Those that belong to God hear what God says.
Jesus-the reason you do not believe is that you don't belong to God.

I don't deny the doubts of some who proclaim faith in Christ but do believe one who has this deposit and truly belongs to Christ shouldn't have any doubts.
When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.

Its in knowing
Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Just as God spoke of this new covenant beforehand through His prophets that HE would write on the hearts of the people that they would all know Him.

It will not be like the covenant
I made with their ancestors
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to them,”
declares the Lord.
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.

I must say, however, that it makes life easier IF you already know your belief system and you need to prepare lessons.

You need to know how to SIFT.
Yes, but what belief system? Are we really sure we have one? This is a big if, you know, most people are mindless sheeple, bustling and hustling all day, always working on the next item on their to do list. There’s no sifting on their parts, the algorithm does that for them. If they doubt something, they just ignore it and go on with their lives.

Hi reddogs

As Who Me has said, "Let's be brutally honest here."

If one claims to be a believer but has doubt or unbelief, then they are like a reed swaying in the breeze tilting to and fro with the wind of opinion and rumor. For them, such an attitude is a sin.

For the unbeliever, doubt and unbelief are the rule. "Psst! It's what makes them unbelievers". For them, while it is still a sin not to have believed in the testimony and work of God's one and only begotten Son, it doesn't make any difference. They will stand condemned of their sin in all that they did for an entire lifetime, because they have not trusted in the one who can save them from the consequences of their sin.

I think it's a pretty simple formula.

God bless,
Ted

Yes, but what belief system? Are we really sure we have one? This is a big if, you know, most people are mindless sheeple, bustling and hustling all day, always working on the next item on their to do list. There’s no sifting on their parts, the algorithm does that for them. If they doubt something, they just ignore it and go on with their lives.
Sorry Carry.
I meant the internet saves me a lot of time.

As to belief system, I mean mainline Christianity - of which I'm a member.
that's why I said we need to SIFT.

Some do not do this.
Do not attend a church.
Never study the bible, as in theology.
Make up their own theology,
and then come here and want us to accept it.

I'm sure we all believe something that is different or not accepted,
but let's at least narrow down to something insignificant??

Sorry Carry.
I meant the internet saves me a lot of time.
Well it could waste you a lot of time too, unless you know exactly what you’re looking for and how to find it.

As for theology, I think what’s more important is the overarching narrative of the Bible, a holistic view of human history - creation, fall, redemption and glorification. That’s the “mainline Christian belief system” you’re talking about, isn’t it? Any particular theology must fit into this framework. If it doesn’t, then there must be something wrong.

Well it could waste you a lot of time too, unless you know exactly what you’re looking for and how to find it.

As for theology, I think what’s more important is the overarching narrative of the Bible, a holistic view of human history - creation, fall, redemption and glorification. That’s the “mainline Christian belief system” you’re talking about, isn’t it? Any particular theology must fit into this framework. If it doesn’t, then there must be something wrong.
Right.
I'd add to your list the belief that Jesus is God,
The hypoststic union and the Trinity.

There is a strong cultural current that has crept into modern Christianity that promotes deep skepticism about truth, urging a pluralistic, even syncretistic, approach to spiritual truth in particular. And so, increasingly, the Great Evil in western Christianity is saying confidently, "I know the truth." Of course, the Christian who points at another believer and says "You're wrong to be so confident about spiritual truth," is asserting a truth claim, too, and, in my experience, often doing so with just as much confidence, just as much certainty, as the one they've criticized. Funny how that works out, eh?

Truth, though, is very often exclusivistic, requiring that if X is so, then Y cannot be. For example, if the hard rubber ball is entirely green, then the ball cannot also be, at the same time, a soft, silicone square colored red; if there are only two chocolates left in the box of Christmas chocolates, there can't be ten left in the box, at the same time; if Bob is a 6'2" biological male (a man) with blue eyes, he can't also be a 5' female (a woman) with brown eyes. And so on.

Especially where getting the truth wrong carries serious, negative consequences, folks are, generally, pretty careful to recognize the exclusivistic nature of truth. They won't bank at a place where arithmetic is a subjective thing, where 1+1=2 is an uncertain "truth" that is held lightly. No one wants a house-builder who has his own "truth" about measurement, and geometry, and load-bearing architecture. People object strongly to the idea of pharmacist who takes a casual, feelings-based approach to drug preparation and dosaging.

But when it comes to God's truth, to eternal, spiritual truth, an increasing number of "Christians" bristle at the person who says, "This is what God says." Under the influence of post-modern, relativistic, individual-centered secular thinking, these bristling believers hold doubt as a virtue, as something noble, even. And so, when they come to God's word, they do so often with a pretty radical certainty that no hard-and-fast truth can be extracted from it. Ironic that, eh? The one thing they are sure of is that one can't be sure of anything in the Bible. This is, though, an obviously self-defeating idea.

I don't see, however, in God's word any injunction to radical skepticism about His truth. It is implicit in so much of Scripture that both God and His truth can be known confidently, that as far as the revelation of both has been given to us, we can be entirely sure of it. How strange it is, then, when Christians want God's word, His truth, to remain amorphous, flexible, and open to syncretistic additions. This seems to me to be just a capitulation to the worldly idea of the "virtue" of radical skepticism, to the "nobility" of doubt. This thinking, though, is actually anti-Christian, against the plain declaration of God in His word:

Psalm 78:5-7
5 For He established a testimony in Jacob And appointed a law in Israel, Which He commanded our fathers That they should teach them to their children,
6 That the generation to come might know, even the children yet to be born, That they may arise and tell them to their children,
7 That they should put their confidence in God And not forget the works of God, But keep His commandments,

Deuteronomy 4:33-36
33 "Has any people heard the voice of God speaking from the midst of the fire, as you have heard it, and survived?
34 "Or has a god tried to go to take for himself a nation from within another nation by trials, by signs and wonders and by war and by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm and by great terrors, as the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?
35 "To you it was shown that you might know that the LORD, He is God; there is no other besides Him.
36 "Out of the heavens He let you hear His voice to discipline you; and on earth He let you see His great fire, and you heard His words from the midst of the fire.

Psalm 19:7
7 The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

1 John 5:13
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

1 Timothy 6:3-5
3 If anyone advocates a different doctrine and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness,
4 he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions,
5 and constant friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth...

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

When the Israelites came to the borders of Canaan after a long trek through the wilderness from Egypt, they sent in spies to check out the Promised Land God had said was theirs for the taking. After the reports of the spies were given, the Israelites began to fear, doubting God's declaration to them that Canaan was theirs, that they had only to go in and possess it. The reports of great cities and peoples, of giants in the land, overcame all of the things they had just experienced in their journey out of Egypt to the Promised Land. Though God had taken great pains to show His Chosen People that He was with them, caring for, and protecting, them, they cowered at the prospect of claiming what God had given to them. They doubted God, and drew back in fear from His blessing, and this ANGERED God so much that He consigned the generation of doubters to life (and eventual death) in the wilderness outside of Canaan. (Read Numbers 13-14).

God has done much to give His born-again children clarity about what is true and good reason to be confident that it is true. And having done so, He expects them NOT to act like the Israelites at the border of Canaan, doubting Him and His truth, which is, essentially, to call Him a liar.

Not only has God given a sure revelation of Himself and His truth to us in Creation, the Incarnation and the Bible, but in the Person of the Holy Spirit, too, who "leads us into all truth," and in whom we possess "the mind of Christ," who strengthens us, teaches us, convicts us and comforts us daily, making us more and more like Jesus all the time (John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16; John 16:8; Ephesians 3:16; Philippians 2:13; 2 Corinthians 3:18, Galatians 5:22-23, etc.) As a result, the genuine child of God has even less reason to doubt. S/he has both external, objective and authoritative witness to God and His truth and a direct, personal, internal witness to the same. For these reasons, the Christian who champions persistent doubt about spiritual truth, making it a virtue, even, to maintain a skeptical antagonism to any believer who says they know God and His truth is, in my view, widely off the mark about both God and His truth and what it is to know and walk with Him.

We see many times that Jesus faced unbelief even among his own disciples...

Matthew 28:17
And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

Mark 9:24
And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Mark 16:14
Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

John 20:24-29
24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Was this Unbelief or Doubt a sin?
Jesus chose each of the twelve apostles for a reason. Thomas represents a certain segment of the population that is very skeptical in general. Christ said it was better to have faith without seeing, but He didn't say Thomas was sinning.

We see many times that Jesus faced unbelief even among his own disciples...

Matthew 28:17
And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.

Mark 9:24
And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

Mark 16:14
Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

John 20:24-29
24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Was this Unbelief or Doubt a sin?
One thing of importance to note is we have a distinct advantage over the disciples, do you know what that is ? Something besides hindsight .
No sin by the disciples , IMO.

There is a strong cultural current that has crept into modern Christianity that promotes deep skepticism about truth, urging a pluralistic, even syncretistic, approach to spiritual truth in particular. And so, increasingly, the Great Evil in western Christianity is saying confidently, "I know the truth." Of course, the Christian who points at another believer and says "You're wrong to be so confident about spiritual truth," is asserting a truth claim, too, and, in my experience, often doing so with just as much confidence, just as much certainty, as the one they've criticized. Funny how that works out, eh?

Truth, though, is very often exclusivistic, requiring that if X is so, then Y cannot be. For example, if the hard rubber ball is entirely green, then the ball cannot also be, at the same time, a soft, silicone square colored red; if there are only two chocolates left in the box of Christmas chocolates, there can't be ten left in the box, at the same time; if Bob is a 6'2" biological male (a man) with blue eyes, he can't also be a 5' female (a woman) with brown eyes. And so on.

Especially where getting the truth wrong carries serious, negative consequences, folks are, generally, pretty careful to recognize the exclusivistic nature of truth. They won't bank at a place where arithmetic is a subjective thing, where 1+1=2 is an uncertain "truth" that is held lightly. No one wants a house-builder who has his own "truth" about measurement, and geometry, and load-bearing architecture. People object strongly to the idea of pharmacist who takes a casual, feelings-based approach to drug preparation and dosaging.

But when it comes to God's truth, to eternal, spiritual truth, an increasing number of "Christians" bristle at the person who says, "This is what God says." Under the influence of post-modern, relativistic, individual-centered secular thinking, these bristling believers hold doubt as a virtue, as something noble, even. And so, when they come to God's word, they do so often with a pretty radical certainty that no hard-and-fast truth can be extracted from it. Ironic that, eh? The one thing they are sure of is that one can't be sure of anything in the Bible. This is, though, an obviously self-defeating idea.

I don't see, however, in God's word any injunction to radical skepticism about His truth. It is implicit in so much of Scripture that both God and His truth can be known confidently, that as far as the revelation of both has been given to us, we can be entirely sure of it. How strange it is, then, when Christians want God's word, His truth, to remain amorphous, flexible, and open to syncretistic additions. This seems to me to be just a capitulation to the worldly idea of the "virtue" of radical skepticism, to the "nobility" of doubt. This thinking, though, is actually anti-Christian, against the plain declaration of God in His word:

Psalm 78:5-7
5 For He established a testimony in Jacob And appointed a law in Israel, Which He commanded our fathers That they should teach them to their children,
6 That the generation to come might know, even the children yet to be born, That they may arise and tell them to their children,
7 That they should put their confidence in God And not forget the works of God, But keep His commandments,

Deuteronomy 4:33-36
33 "Has any people heard the voice of God speaking from the midst of the fire, as you have heard it, and survived?
34 "Or has a god tried to go to take for himself a nation from within another nation by trials, by signs and wonders and by war and by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm and by great terrors, as the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?
35 "To you it was shown that you might know that the LORD, He is God; there is no other besides Him.
36 "Out of the heavens He let you hear His voice to discipline you; and on earth He let you see His great fire, and you heard His words from the midst of the fire.

Psalm 19:7
7 The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

1 John 5:13
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

1 Timothy 6:3-5
3 If anyone advocates a different doctrine and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness,
4 he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions,
5 and constant friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth...

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

When the Israelites came to the borders of Canaan after a long trek through the wilderness from Egypt, they sent in spies to check out the Promised Land God had said was theirs for the taking. After the reports of the spies were given, the Israelites began to fear, doubting God's declaration to them that Canaan was theirs, that they had only to go in and possess it. The reports of great cities and peoples, of giants in the land, overcame all of the things they had just experienced in their journey out of Egypt to the Promised Land. Though God had taken great pains to show His Chosen People that He was with them, caring for, and protecting, them, they cowered at the prospect of claiming what God had given to them. They doubted God, and drew back in fear from His blessing, and this ANGERED God so much that He consigned the generation of doubters to life (and eventual death) in the wilderness outside of Canaan. (Read Numbers 13-14).

God has done much to give His born-again children clarity about what is true and good reason to be confident that it is true. And having done so, He expects them NOT to act like the Israelites at the border of Canaan, doubting Him and His truth, which is, essentially, to call Him a liar.

Not only has God given a sure revelation of Himself and His truth to us in Creation, the Incarnation and the Bible, but in the Person of the Holy Spirit, too, who "leads us into all truth," and in whom we possess "the mind of Christ," who strengthens us, teaches us, convicts us and comforts us daily, making us more and more like Jesus all the time (John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16; John 16:8; Ephesians 3:16; Philippians 2:13; 2 Corinthians 3:18, Galatians 5:22-23, etc.) As a result, the genuine child of God has even less reason to doubt. S/he has both external, objective and authoritative witness to God and His truth and a direct, personal, internal witness to the same. For these reasons, the Christian who champions persistent doubt about spiritual truth, making it a virtue, even, to maintain a skeptical antagonism to any believer who says they know God and His truth is, in my view, widely off the mark about both God and His truth and what it is to know and walk with Him.
What a great post!
:nod

If one claims to be a believer but has doubt or unbelief, then they are like a reed swaying in the breeze tilting to and fro with the wind of opinion and rumor. For them, such an attitude is a sin.

There is nothing wrong with honest doubts or questions. It is when having listen to orread reasonable answers and there is still doubt that the sincerity of the questioner needs to be questioned.
This is an area where we should be very slow to judge, as not everybody learns or understands as quickly as other people.

The Spirit only speaks what He hears, presumably from the mind of the Spirit, not on His own.

It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God. 'Everyone who has heard the Father and learned from him comes to me

Not all listen and learn. The warning -do not harden your hearts as the Israelites did in the wilderness.

Jesus-No one comes to me unless the Father enables them. -Those that belong to God hear what God says.
Jesus-the reason you do not believe is that you don't belong to God.
What exactly do you mean by your last paragraph??

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back