Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Is Victoria Osteen a Heretic?

Is Victoria Osteen a heretic?

• Yes, she's a heretic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Her statement was heresy, but it's not enough to make her a heretic

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I disagree with her statement, but I wouldn't call it heresy

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • If you're happy, God's happy

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This 33 second clip of Victoria does not show that she is a heretic imo. I think it was just the way she said it.

I have realized something lately since there are so many post about this on facebook between people I know. There are a lot of post using video clips and made up cartoons that make fun of them. They are mostly all trying to portray how the Osteen's are preaching a false gospel. In my opinion none of them show it. I have even ask people what it is about them that is false and they don't have a real clear answer except that it's "fluff". I think it's important to show just exactly what it is that anybody says that truly makes them a heretic. To me it would have to be something that is very obvious.

Also I think we have to be careful what we say because there are probably many baby Christians that came to Christ at Osteen's church, not because Osteen is a good teacher, but because God is sovereign and will reach people wherever He chooses. Now imagine a person that has struggled to believe in Jesus and decided to go to the Osteen's church one Sunday. In that particular service maybe Joel happened to read some scripture about the basic Gospel message and because of God's sovereignty the person was saved. If there are people like the one I described here listening and reading all of the negativity from other Christians about Joel and Victoria Osteen, how do you think that affects their newly found belief in Jesus?

"While I admit that I could have been more articulate in my remarks, I stand by my point that when we worship God and are obedient to Him we will be better for it,” she said. “I did not mean to imply that we don’t worship God; that’s ridiculous, and only the critics and cynics are interpreting my remarks that way.”
Osteen continued, “Every Lakewood member knows what I was talking about because they have experienced first hand the joy and victory of a Lakewood Church worship service, and the honor, reverence and gratitude we show God.”

So unless I call her a liar, this above is what her POINT was. And to me that point is Very Biblical.
what she said is in fact this S-H-A-L-O-M.
THE concept of that greeting is as YOU do torah, you will be pleased by the Heshem. paul used that idea in the epistles when he said grace and peace be unto you.

what she said is in fact this S-H-A-L-O-M.
THE concept of that greeting is as YOU do torah, you will be pleased by the Heshem. paul used that idea in the epistles when he said grace and peace be unto you.

:) Do you remember this one?

Happiness is the Lord by Ira Stanphill

Happiness is to know the Savior,
Living a life within His favor
Having a change in my behavior,
Happiness is the Lord.

Happiness is a new creation,
Jesus and me in close relation
Having a part in His salvation,
Happiness is the Lord.

Real joy is mine,
no matter if teardrops start
I've found the secret,
It's Jesus in my heart.

Happiness is to be forgiven,
Living a life that's worth the livin'
Taking a trip that leads to heaven,
Happiness is the Lord.

The main problem with the Osteen ministry is that everything is so watered down, it is almost unrecognizable as being Biblical (if that is what they are going for). I have mentioned in other threads that I have watched Joel deliver a message (can't really call it a sermon) where he only makes some vague references to scripture and pretty much reiterates the same point over a half hour without actually diving into the "meat and potatoes" of what the bible teaches. Sure this may be good for those coming in off the street, but for anyone wanting to grow in their walk, they will find themselves starving for the real stuff. Osteen's services are what I would describe as another example of what Calvary Chapel puts on every year in Southern California, a Harvest Crusade. It is basically just a huge altar call. What do they have to help people with their walk, because they sure aren't being fed during the services?

The main problem with the Osteen ministry is that everything is so watered down, it is almost unrecognizable as being Biblical (if that is what they are going for). I have mentioned in other threads that I have watched Joel deliver a message (can't really call it a sermon) where he only makes some vague references to scripture and pretty much reiterates the same point over a half hour without actually diving into the "meat and potatoes" of what the bible teaches. Sure this may be good for those coming in off the street, but for anyone wanting to grow in their walk, they will find themselves starving for the real stuff. Osteen's services are what I would describe as another example of what Calvary Chapel puts on every year in Southern California, a Harvest Crusade. It is basically just a huge altar call. What do they have to help people with their walk, because they sure aren't being fed during the services?
This is kind of paradoxically interesting.
On the one hand, the Osteens are put down because simply helping people with their walk is primarily what they do... they don't brow-beat with scripture.
And Chuck's biggest thing was that he wouldn't preach things like encouragement and help, but that all Calvary's Sunday meetings would be nothing BUT direct teaching from a specific numbered and identified Scripture.

This I agree with, for me he just doesn't hold my attention. Frankly I get bored. I want to hear the actual scriptures and as you say the "meat" not just the "milk" of the scriptures.
But I also have to remember that the milk is enough to bring one to the saving knowledge of Christ.
I haven't heard them say things like it's OK to go out there and be hateful to your neighbor, get drunk, lie and cheat, curse your brothers/sisters in Christ because they don't agree with you.

I think maybe the problem some of us have is that it may appear to us that Joel is teaching Joel rather than teaching Christ.

I have listened to pastor chuck smith quite a few times. a gentile soul but yes I cant say he said that,

This I agree with, for me he just doesn't hold my attention. Frankly I get bored. I want to hear the actual scriptures and as you say the "meat" not just the "milk" of the scriptures.
But I also have to remember that the milk is enough to bring one to the saving knowledge of Christ.
I haven't heard them say things like it's OK to go out there and be hateful to your neighbor, get drunk, lie and cheat, curse your brothers/sisters in Christ because they don't agree with you.

I think maybe the problem some of us have is that it may appear to us that Joel is teaching Joel rather than teaching Christ.
I agree.

im not saying that chuck doesn't encourage but listening to him is like listening to an audio commentary.
Sure, he did do some encouraging, but he made a conscious and deliberate decision not to try to be "Pastor" type of preacher, but rather structure his whole organization toward expository teaching from the pulpit.

We went to Calvary Chapel for two years (off and on). It was some of the driest preaching I have ever sat under.

bob coy before he fell into sin wasnt like that. some of the others aren't either. if I want a commentary then well I know where to go.
Sure, he did do some encouraging, but he made a conscious and deliberate decision not to try to be "Pastor" type of preacher, but rather structure his whole organization toward expository teaching from the pulpit.

We went to Calvary Chapel for two years (off and on). It was some of the driest preaching I have ever sat under.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back