Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Isaiah 28 - The plowman and his Teacher

Tzephanyahu

Shalom all,

I'm interested in reading your opinions of the verses below in Isaiah 28:23-29. It comes at the end of a significant passage of prophecy and seems to be allegorical, so I'm sure there will be various interpretations.

Give ear and hear my voice,
Listen and hear my speech.
Does the plowman keep plowing all day to sow?
Does he keep turning his soil and breaking the clods?
When he has leveled its surface,
Does he not sow the black cummin
And scatter the cummin,
Plant the wheat in rows,
The barley in the appointed place,
And the spelt in its place?
For He instructs him in right judgment,
His God teaches him.
For the black cummin is not threshed with a threshing sledge,
Nor is a cartwheel rolled over the cummin;
But the black cummin is beaten out with a stick,
And the cummin with a rod.
Bread flour must be ground;
Therefore he does not thresh it forever,
Break it with his cartwheel,
Or crush it with his horsemen.
This also comes from the Lord of hosts,
Who is wonderful in counsel and excellent in guidance.

Love & Shalom

Hi Tzephanyahu and welcome to CF.

Isaiah Chapter 58 is an interesting study.

Isaiah 28:1-13 is the judgement on Ephraim and Jerusalem (all who have fallen away from God). The tribe of Dan and Ephraim fell to idol worship and allowed God to be removed from them, Judges 18:30; 1 Kings 12:25-33; Hosea 5:9, 11; Psalms 78:9-17; 65-67.

Isaiah 28:14-29 is about a Cornerstone in Zion, being Christ Jesus, whom will come in the end of days to judge the quick and the dead, John 5:28, 29. Isaiah is giving the words of God as a warning to all who have hardened their hearts and have turned away from God as a man will reap what he sows.

It comes at the end of a significant passage of prophecy and seems to be allegorical,

Context is everything. How do you know that the previous chapters, the opening of this chapter and the following chapters do not make clearer the meaning of this small selection of verses.
Isaiah did not have chapters and verses so one must read far more than a convenient selection.

Isaiah is preaching about the deliverence of Israel and of the insurance to those who do not follow God.

Context is everything. How do you know that the previous chapters, the opening of this chapter and the following chapters do not make clearer the meaning of this small selection of verses.
Isaiah did not have chapters and verses so one must read far more than a convenient selection.

Isaiah is preaching about the deliverence of Israel and of the insurance to those who do not follow God.

From the beginning of Isaiah's writings to the end are all about "salvation is of the Lord". When he speaks about Christ, Isaiah sounds more like a NT writer than and OT prophet. His messianic prophecies are clearer and more explicit than those in any other OT books. They describe many aspects of the person and work of Christ in His first ans second advents and often blends the two together.

This is the full context of the writings of Isaiah as he begins with the prophecies against Judah and the nations. Then he moves on to the prophecies of the day of the Lord, judgement and blessing. He then goes on to speak about Hezekiah, ending with the deliverance of Israel, her deliverer and Israel's glorious.

Back