Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jesus Christ is THE CREATOR In Isaiah

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

SolaScriptura

2024 Supporter

“And now the Lord God has sent me, and his Spirit” (The Holy Scriptures According to the Masoretic Text, A New Translation. The Jewish Publication Society of America. 5677-1917)

These words are from Isaiah chapter 48, verse 16, where the Speaker is not God the Father. In the Hebrew text, it does not read, “Lord God”, but, “Adonai YHWH”, Literally, “The Lord Yahweh”. Neither is the Speaker the Holy Spirit, as He is here the Second “object” in the Hebrew, Who is “Sent”, by “Adonai YHWH”.

Obviously the early Jews did not like this passage, as it clearly shows that there is more than One Person Who is YHWH. This Can be seen in The Targum of Jonathan Ben Uzie, which dates from around the 1st century AD:

“The prophet saith: And now the Lord God and His Word, hath sent me” (C W H Pauli; The Chaldee Paraphrase on the Prophet Isaiah, pp.166-167)

These Targums are paraphrases, where some of the content is not what the Hebrew actually says. There is no Hebrew manuscripts that have “The prophet saith”, which has been added to try to remove any reference to another Person Who is YHWH. Though they have rightly said that “ME” refers to “His Word”, Who is the Lord Jesus Christ, as is clear from John 1:1, etc.

The reading of the ending of this verse, in Bible Versions like the King James, is wrong;

“and now the Lord God and his Spirit hath sent me” (1611)

This makes two subjects, “the Lord God”, and “his Spirit”, and one object, “me”, the Speaker. In the Hebrew the word order is, “wə‘atâ ’ăḏōnāy yəhweh šəlāḥanî wərûḥwō” (And now the Adonay YHWH has sent Me and His Spirit), which is, one subject “the Lord God”, and two objects, “His Spirit” and the Speaker. This is same word order in the Greek Old Testament (LXX), and the Latin Vulgate. The same is in the Dead Sea Scrolls, which date from the 1st century BC

“And now the Lord God has sent me and his spirit” (The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible, Martin Abegg Jr., Peter Flint and Eugene Ulrich)

Further, we have the Hebrew verb here, “šə·lā·ḥa·nî”, which is masculine singular, “has sent”, which cannot mean two subjects.

It is very clear from the context verse 16 is, that the Speaker has to be YHWH, and no one who is a lesser person.

The words in this verse are like those found in verse 3, “I have declared the former things from the beginning”, and verse 5, “I have even from the beginning declared it to you”. In verse 12 and 13 the Speaker says, “Listen to Me, O Jacob and Israel, My called; I am He, I am the First, I also am the Last. My hand has also laid the foundation of the earth”. Language that can hardly be use by Isaiah, or any other human being! Then, in verse 15 we read, “I, even I have spoken, yes, and I have called him”. In the very next verse, we read, “Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, The Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, Who teaches you to profit, Who leads you by the way you should go”. As the Speaker of verse 16 here continues, it is clear that He is Yahweh, Who is Speaking, and not the Prophet Isaiah. This same Speaker also says, “Listen, O coastlands, to Me, And take heed, you peoples from afar! The Lord has called Me from the womb” (49:1). In verse 5 He is called “His Servant”, which clearly can only refer to Jesus Christ. None of these things could have been said by the Prophet Isaiah.

It is clear that the Speaker is Jesus Christ, The One Who was SENT by God the Father, and Who from all eternity, is YHWH, and EQUAL with the Father.

In Isaiah 44:6, we read of the Father: “This is what Yahweh, the King of Israel, and His Redeemer, Yahweh of Armies, says: “I am the First, and I am the Last; and besides Me there is no God”. Jesus says the same of Himself in 48:12. This means that Jesus Christ is ETERNAL, exactly as the Father is! The Father could never have Created Jesus Christ.

In Isaiah 40:22, we read of the Father, “It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in”. In 48:13, Jesus says that He Created the entire Universe.

In this chapter in the Prophet Isaiah, we have Three distinct Persons, One Whom is the SENDER, and the Two Who are SENT by Him.

In the Book of the Prophet Zechariah, we read in Chapter 2, verses 6-12, where the Speaker is also Yahweh, and says that Another Person, “Yahweh of the Armies”, is Sending Him.

Verses 11 and 12, “for behold I am coming and I will dwell in your midst,” declares Yahweh...and you will know that Yahweh of armies has sent Me to you”

Here we have in the Jewish Old Testament, clear teaching that the God of the Holy Bible is not One Person. There are Two in these passages Who are YHWH, the Father and Jesus Christ.

We also have in the Book of Isaiah, Jesus Christ is called, “’êl Gibbôr”, in 9:6; and the Father is also called “’êl Gibbôr”, in 10:21, in both places the meaning is exactly the same, MIGHTY GOD (also in Jeremiah 32:18). This reading is also in the New World Translation, as published by the Jehovah’s Witnesses, who do admit that Jesus Christ is “Mighty God”, as the Father is!

The Teaching of the Trinity, One Godhead and Three distinct equal Persons, is very clear in the Old Testament, and has nothing to do with the Christian Church of “inventing” this Doctrine!

“And now the Lord God has sent me, and his Spirit” (The Holy Scriptures According to the Masoretic Text, A New Translation. The Jewish Publication Society of America. 5677-1917)

These words are from Isaiah chapter 48, verse 16, where the Speaker is not God the Father. In the Hebrew text, it does not read, “Lord God”, but, “Adonai YHWH”, Literally, “The Lord Yahweh”. Neither is the Speaker the Holy Spirit, as He is here the Second “object” in the Hebrew, Who is “Sent”, by “Adonai YHWH”.

Obviously the early Jews did not like this passage, as it clearly shows that there is more than One Person Who is YHWH. This Can be seen in The Targum of Jonathan Ben Uzie, which dates from around the 1st century AD:

“The prophet saith: And now the Lord God and His Word, hath sent me” (C W H Pauli; The Chaldee Paraphrase on the Prophet Isaiah, pp.166-167)

These Targums are paraphrases, where some of the content is not what the Hebrew actually says. There is no Hebrew manuscripts that have “The prophet saith”, which has been added to try to remove any reference to another Person Who is YHWH. Though they have rightly said that “ME” refers to “His Word”, Who is the Lord Jesus Christ, as is clear from John 1:1, etc.

The reading of the ending of this verse, in Bible Versions like the King James, is wrong;

“and now the Lord God and his Spirit hath sent me” (1611)

This makes two subjects, “the Lord God”, and “his Spirit”, and one object, “me”, the Speaker. In the Hebrew the word order is, “wə‘atâ ’ăḏōnāy yəhweh šəlāḥanî wərûḥwō” (And now the Adonay YHWH has sent Me and His Spirit), which is, one subject “the Lord God”, and two objects, “His Spirit” and the Speaker. This is same word order in the Greek Old Testament (LXX), and the Latin Vulgate. The same is in the Dead Sea Scrolls, which date from the 1st century BC

“And now the Lord God has sent me and his spirit” (The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible, Martin Abegg Jr., Peter Flint and Eugene Ulrich)

Further, we have the Hebrew verb here, “šə·lā·ḥa·nî”, which is masculine singular, “has sent”, which cannot mean two subjects.

It is very clear from the context verse 16 is, that the Speaker has to be YHWH, and no one who is a lesser person.

The words in this verse are like those found in verse 3, “I have declared the former things from the beginning”, and verse 5, “I have even from the beginning declared it to you”. In verse 12 and 13 the Speaker says, “Listen to Me, O Jacob and Israel, My called; I am He, I am the First, I also am the Last. My hand has also laid the foundation of the earth”. Language that can hardly be use by Isaiah, or any other human being! Then, in verse 15 we read, “I, even I have spoken, yes, and I have called him”. In the very next verse, we read, “Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, The Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God, Who teaches you to profit, Who leads you by the way you should go”. As the Speaker of verse 16 here continues, it is clear that He is Yahweh, Who is Speaking, and not the Prophet Isaiah. This same Speaker also says, “Listen, O coastlands, to Me, And take heed, you peoples from afar! The Lord has called Me from the womb” (49:1). In verse 5 He is called “His Servant”, which clearly can only refer to Jesus Christ. None of these things could have been said by the Prophet Isaiah.

It is clear that the Speaker is Jesus Christ, The One Who was SENT by God the Father, and Who from all eternity, is YHWH, and EQUAL with the Father.

In Isaiah 44:6, we read of the Father: “This is what Yahweh, the King of Israel, and His Redeemer, Yahweh of Armies, says: “I am the First, and I am the Last; and besides Me there is no God”. Jesus says the same of Himself in 48:12. This means that Jesus Christ is ETERNAL, exactly as the Father is! The Father could never have Created Jesus Christ.

In Isaiah 40:22, we read of the Father, “It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in”. In 48:13, Jesus says that He Created the entire Universe.

In this chapter in the Prophet Isaiah, we have Three distinct Persons, One Whom is the SENDER, and the Two Who are SENT by Him.

In the Book of the Prophet Zechariah, we read in Chapter 2, verses 6-12, where the Speaker is also Yahweh, and says that Another Person, “Yahweh of the Armies”, is Sending Him.

Verses 11 and 12, “for behold I am coming and I will dwell in your midst,” declares Yahweh...and you will know that Yahweh of armies has sent Me to you”

Here we have in the Jewish Old Testament, clear teaching that the God of the Holy Bible is not One Person. There are Two in these passages Who are YHWH, the Father and Jesus Christ.

We also have in the Book of Isaiah, Jesus Christ is called, “’êl Gibbôr”, in 9:6; and the Father is also called “’êl Gibbôr”, in 10:21, in both places the meaning is exactly the same, MIGHTY GOD (also in Jeremiah 32:18). This reading is also in the New World Translation, as published by the Jehovah’s Witnesses, who do admit that Jesus Christ is “Mighty God”, as the Father is!

The Teaching of the Trinity, One Godhead and Three distinct equal Persons, is very clear in the Old Testament, and has nothing to do with the Christian Church of “inventing” this Doctrine!
The speaker is Isaiah. However, the parts that are in quotations are Almighty God’s word. Isaiah, filled with Holy Spirit, was inspired and directed to repeat/quote God’s word.-Isaiah 48:16b, 17.

Isaiah 48:16

Is. 48:16 - Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD [Jehovah], and his spirit, hath sent me. - KJV.

Commenting on this scripture some trinitarians will say: "The speaker of Is. 48:16 is Jehovah as identified by context in the first part of the verse and as shown by his identification in verse 17 where he continues to speak. But notice that Jehovah, who is speaking, says: `The Lord GOD [Jehovah] ... hath sent me.' Therefore there must be at least two persons who are Jehovah!"

The answer to such "proof" is obvious: "speaker confusion." Isaiah, like most other Bible writers, often interspersed the conversation of one person with statements by others and often doesn't identify the new speakers. Very often they appear to be comments by Isaiah himself.

That this is very likely the case here is shown, not only by context, but by these Bible translations: The RSV and the NIV Bibles show by quotation marks and indenting that Isaiah himself made the final comment in Is. 48:16.

Quotation marks in NLT, ESV, TEV, Tanakh, Holman Christian Standard Bible, ICB, New Century Version, and THE MESSAGE also show the last part of Is.48:16 to be a new speaker (not Jehovah).

The NAB (1970 and 1991 versions) also indicates a new speaker there, and, in the St. Joseph edition of the NAB, a footnote for Is. 48:16 tells us that the final statement was made by Cyrus! And the very trinitarian Holy Bible: Easy-to-Read Version, World Bible Translation Center, 1992, comes right out and says at Is. 48:16,

" 'Come here and listen to me! ... from the beginning, I spoke clearly, so that people could know what I said.' Then Isaiah said, `Now the Lord [Jehovah] my master sends me and his Spirit to tell you these things.' "

The New English Bible (NEB), The Revised English Bible (REB), and the Bible translation by Dr. James Moffatt (Mo) consider the last statement of Is. 48:16 to be spurious and leave it out of their translations entirely.

Certainly these mostly trinitarian translations would have rendered this scripture (and punctuated it accordingly) to show a two-Jehovah meaning (or given such an alternate rendering in the footnotes) if their trinitarian translators had thought there was even the slightest justification for such an interpretation! (Also analyze Jer. 51:19 - Jacob is the former of all things - Jehovah of hosts is his name, according to this trinitarian-type "speaker confusion" reasoning!)

"The prophet himself [Isaiah], as a type of the great prophet, asserts his own commission to deliver this message: Now the Lord God (the same that spoke from the beginning and did not speak in secret) has by his Spirit sent me, v. 16." - Matthew Henry Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible, Isaiah Chapter 48 verse 16.

Is. 48:16 - Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD [Jehovah], and his spirit, hath sent me. - KJV.

Commenting on this scripture some trinitarians will say: "The speaker of Is. 48:16 is Jehovah as identified by context in the first part of the verse and as shown by his identification in verse 17 where he continues to speak. But notice that Jehovah, who is speaking, says: `The Lord GOD [Jehovah] ... hath sent me.' Therefore there must be at least two persons who are Jehovah!"

The answer to such "proof" is obvious: "speaker confusion." Isaiah, like most other Bible writers, often interspersed the conversation of one person with statements by others and often doesn't identify the new speakers. Very often they appear to be comments by Isaiah himself.

That this is very likely the case here is shown, not only by context, but by these Bible translations: The RSV and the NIV Bibles show by quotation marks and indenting that Isaiah himself made the final comment in Is. 48:16.

Quotation marks in NLT, ESV, TEV, Tanakh, Holman Christian Standard Bible, ICB, New Century Version, and THE MESSAGE also show the last part of Is.48:16 to be a new speaker (not Jehovah).

The NAB (1970 and 1991 versions) also indicates a new speaker there, and, in the St. Joseph edition of the NAB, a footnote for Is. 48:16 tells us that the final statement was made by Cyrus! And the very trinitarian Holy Bible: Easy-to-Read Version, World Bible Translation Center, 1992, comes right out and says at Is. 48:16,

" 'Come here and listen to me! ... from the beginning, I spoke clearly, so that people could know what I said.' Then Isaiah said, `Now the Lord [Jehovah] my master sends me and his Spirit to tell you these things.' "

The New English Bible (NEB), The Revised English Bible (REB), and the Bible translation by Dr. James Moffatt (Mo) consider the last statement of Is. 48:16 to be spurious and leave it out of their translations entirely.

Certainly these mostly trinitarian translations would have rendered this scripture (and punctuated it accordingly) to show a two-Jehovah meaning (or given such an alternate rendering in the footnotes) if their trinitarian translators had thought there was even the slightest justification for such an interpretation! (Also analyze Jer. 51:19 - Jacob is the former of all things - Jehovah of hosts is his name, according to this trinitarian-type "speaker confusion" reasoning!)

"The prophet himself [Isaiah], as a type of the great prophet, asserts his own commission to deliver this message: Now the Lord God (the same that spoke from the beginning and did not speak in secret) has by his Spirit sent me, v. 16." - Matthew Henry Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible, Isaiah Chapter 48 verse 16.

There is not a single verse in the entire Old Testament that says that the Holy Spirit sent any of the Prophets. If you can find one post it on here.

Read the whole verse and it is very clear that the Speaker can't be the Prophet Isaiah

And those who cannot accept that Jesus Christ is YHWH, will suggest that the words are not genuine

There is not a single verse in the entire Old Testament that says that the Holy Spirit sent any of the Prophets. If you can find one post it on here.

Read the whole verse and it is very clear that the Speaker can't be the Prophet Isaiah

And those who cannot accept that Jesus Christ is YHWH, will suggest that the words are not genuine

Who is the speaker of these words

"Come near to Me, listen to this: From the first I have not spoken in secret, From the time it took place, I was there..."

Notice where the ending quote mark is in the following respected trinitarian-translated Bibles (after "there"):

NIV
“Come near me and listen to this: “From the first announcement I have not spoken in secret; at the time it happens, I am there.And now the Sovereign Lord has sent me, endowed with his Spirit.

HCSB
Approach Me and listen to this. From the beginning I have not spoken in secret; from the time anything existed, I was there. And now the Lord God has sent me and His Spirit.

ISV
Draw near to me, and listen to this: ‘From the beginning I haven’t spoken in secret; at the time it happened, I was there. And now the Lord God, and his Spirit, has sent me.

RSV
Draw near to me, hear this: from the beginning I have not spoken in secret, from the time it came to be I have been there. And now the Lord God has sent me and his Spirit.

ESV
Draw near to me, hear this: from the beginning I have not spoken in secret, from the time it came to be I have been there. And now the Lord God has sent me, and his Spirit.

Since these trinitarian translators have ended God's speech at "there." The new speaker/narrator that follows (according to them) cannot be God. These trinitarians (and more) have chosen this punctuation because they don't believe God spoke the following clause. They would surely have chosen otherwise if they thought there was a good reason to do so.

Notice where the ending quote mark is in the following respected trinitarian-translated Bibles (after "there"):

NIV
“Come near me and listen to this: “From the first announcement I have not spoken in secret; at the time it happens, I am there.And now the Sovereign Lord has sent me, endowed with his Spirit.

HCSB
Approach Me and listen to this. From the beginning I have not spoken in secret; from the time anything existed, I was there. And now the Lord God has sent me and His Spirit.

ISV
Draw near to me, and listen to this: ‘From the beginning I haven’t spoken in secret; at the time it happened, I was there. And now the Lord God, and his Spirit, has sent me.

RSV
Draw near to me, hear this: from the beginning I have not spoken in secret, from the time it came to be I have been there. And now the Lord God has sent me and his Spirit.

ESV
Draw near to me, hear this: from the beginning I have not spoken in secret, from the time it came to be I have been there. And now the Lord God has sent me, and his Spirit.

Since these trinitarian translators have ended God's speech at "there." The new speaker/narrator that follows (according to them) cannot be God. These trinitarians (and more) have chosen this punctuation because they don't believe God spoke the following clause. They would surely have chosen otherwise if they thought there was a good reason to do so.

I am not interested in how any Bible version reads.

There is ZERO Hebrew support in the spoken words to say more than one person is meant

Look at Is. 48:16 in the Jewish Tanakh (JPS, 1985)

"Draw near to Me and hear this: From the beginning, I did not speak in secret; From the time anything existed, I was there. "And now the Lord God has sent me, endowed with His spirit." (JPS, 1985)

"qirbû ´ëlay šim`û-zö´t lö´ mërö´š bas·sê·ṯer dib·bar·tî më`ët héyôtäh šäm ’ā·nî wə·‘at·tāh´ádönäy yhwh šə·lā·ḥa·nî wə·rū·ḥōw P" (Hebrew MT text)

Can you show me from the Hebrew text, "šə·lā·ḥa·nî wə·rū·ḥōw P", exactly where does "endowed with" come from?

Those who cannot accept the TRUTH of what the Bible is saying about The Lord Jesus Christ, as in this verse/passage, are using FALSE readings to force their own views!

"wə·‘at·tāh", shows that the all the words are Spoken by the same Person, "and at the time"...as in continued speech

This same edition of JPS you refer to, has also CORRUPTED the English translation from the Hebrew, in Isaiah 9:6

"He has been named "The Mighty God is planning grace; The Eternal Father, a peaceable ruler"

The Hebrew MT text reads, "´ël gib·bō·wr ´ábî`ad Sar-šälôm", literally, "Mighty God, Father of Eternity, Prince of Peace". WHERE in the Hebrew is, "is planning grace"?

How anyone who RESPECTS the Inspired, Infallible, Word of God, blatantly CHANGE what God has said?

I will ask again, WHO is the speaker of these words in verse 16?

"Draw near to Me and hear this: From the beginning, I did not speak in secret; From the time anything existed, I was there"

Here is how it is written in my own copy of JPS 1985:

God is speaking (and does so as a narrator without quotation marks from the beginning of this chapter) and continues on to the first part of verse 16:

Draw near to Me and hear this: From the beginning, I did not speak in secret; From the time anything existed, I was there.

"And now the Lord God has sent me, endowed with His spirit." (JPS, 1985)

Notice how this highly respected Jewish translation completely separates God's narration from the part in question. It does this not only with quotation marks but by a large separation in space.
The last part of verse 16 is not considered t be God speaking.
SS wrote:
The Hebrew MT text reads, "´ël gib·bō·wr ´ábî`ad Sar-šälôm", literally, "Mighty God, Father of Eternity, Prince of Peace". WHERE in the Hebrew is, "is planning grace"?

How anyone who RESPECTS the Inspired, Infallible, Word of God, blatantly CHANGE what God has said?

Probably the part you (blatantly?) left out often translated as "wonderful counsellor."

Last edited:
Here is how it is written in my own copy of JPS 1985:

God is speaking (and does so as a narrator without quotation marks from the beginning of this chapter) and continues on to the first part of verse 16:

Draw near to Me and hear this: From the beginning, I did not speak in secret; From the time anything existed, I was there.

"And now the Lord God has sent me, endowed with His spirit." (JPS, 1985)

Notice how this highly respected Jewish translation completely separates God's narration from the part in question. It does this not only with quotation marks but by a large separation in space.
The last part of verse 16 is not considered t be God speaking.

Firstly there is no "endowed with" in the Hebrew text. So it is not part of the Bible

Secondly what would you expect from a Jewish translation especially when it is regarding Jesus Christ

The same perversion is used in Isaiah 7.14, where ha almah is THE VIRGIN. As well as Isaiah 9.6

NIV
“Come near me and listen to this: “From the first announcement I have not spoken in secret; at the time it happens, I am there.” And now the Sovereign Lord has sent me, endowed with his Spirit.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back