Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study Jesus Loves All Equally?

Boyce

Mathew 15:22 A Gentile woman who lived there came to him pleading. "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! For my daughter is possessed by a demon that torments her severely." But Jesus gave her no reply, not even a word. Then his disciples urged him to send her away. "Tell her to go away." they said. "She is bothering us with all her begging." Then Jesus said "I was sent only to help God's lost sheep-the people of Israel." then it goes on and her daughter gets healed after showing her faith. Jesus healed many others without the need for begging.

My question is how many other Gentiles asked for Jesus' help and were denied because he was only sent to help the people of Israel? Is this just a parable saying we need faith or did things like this really happen?

Last edited:
He helped the lady . Speculating He did not help is contrary.
Yes I know he helped her but my point is it took a lot of begging. When Jesus was going around helping God's chosen people left and right. It just didn't seem fair when I read it. Why should someone need to beg more than another? We're all God's creation aren't we?

this gets into some depth..
. Then Jesus said "I was sent only to help God's lost sheep-the people of Israel." then it goes on and her daughter gets healed after showing her faith. Jesus healed many others without the need for begging.

IMO Jesus was telling His followers just who the lost sheep are...

There is a lesson in this passage that helps me to understand why some lost persons prosper. You see, even evil people can and do receive grace from God. We need to think, meditate. on scripture, such as this passage to understand and this is best done with prayer and with full expectation that God will answer.

[Foot Note] Waiting for an answer can be a long process, our time scale. But if you will do as this lass did, He will answer and it was her persistence that demand an answer without her ever violating God's rights. She asked humbly, every, single, time.

this gets into some depth..

IMO Jesus was telling His followers just who the lost sheep are...
verse 25 "But she came and worshiped him pleading again, Lord help me! Jesus responded, it isn't right to take food from the children and throw it to the dogs."
food being his guidance and healing "from the children" ( Gods chosen people/children ) "and throw it to the dogs". The dogs being the Gentiles.

At least that's what I got out of this when I read it last night. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

There is a lesson in this passage that helps me to understand why some lost persons prosper. You see, even evil people can and do receive grace from God. We need to think, meditate. on scripture, such as this passage to understand and this is best done with prayer and with full expectation that God will answer.

[Foot Note] Waiting for an answer can be a long process, our time scale. But if you will do as this lass did, He will answer and it was her persistence that demand an answer without her ever violating God's rights. She asked humbly, every, single, time.
That makes sense. I though this was just a teaching tool but wasn't 100% sure, so I thought I would ask... The lesson is we need to stay faithful, and keep asking even if we don't get a answer for awhile. Something I've been struggling with. Thanks.

That makes sense. I though this was just a teaching tool but wasn't 100% sure, so I thought I would ask... The lesson is we need to stay faithful, and keep asking even if we don't get a answer for awhile. Something I've been struggling with. Thanks.
That, certainty alright, I struggled with this for over twenty years and ever y man's answer left me blank and THEN I went down on my knees and asked the one source that should always, after this lesson, be first... He is now and that is just neat!

Jesus healed the servant of the Centurian.
We just have to realize that with every healing, there was a lesson to go with it.
The Centurian and the Canaanite woman give us different lessons to learn.

We see in Mark 11:17;
Is it not written: My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations?
With this statement he is showing no bias towards Gentiles.

In John 10:16;
I have other sheep that are not of this pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

Mathew 15:22 A Gentile woman who lived there came to him pleading. "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! For my daughter is possessed by a demon that torments her severely." But Jesus gave her no reply, not even a word. Then his disciples urged him to send her away. "Tell her to go away." they said. "She is bothering us with all her begging"( She must've had to ask a few times and was denied ) Then Jesus said "I was sent only to help God's lost sheep-the people of Israel." then it goes on and her daughter gets healed after showing her faith. Jesus healed many others without the need for begging.

My question is how many other Gentiles asked for Jesus' help and were denied because he was only sent to help the people of Israel? Is this just a parable saying we need faith or did things like this really happen?

That is the only one I know of where He illustrated this point. There are other times where He helped Gentiles. The point He was illustrating is that the God of Israel is our God. You have to understand the different cultures. The people of Israel are all those who are in Christ.

The Gentiles were descendants of Esua (these are people who, generally speaking, God foreknew would not have faith). Gentiles generally worshiped demons and sin was something they aspired towards. Some of the Gentiles were about to be granted reconciliation through His Blood, but only by faith in Him. Cain's sacrifice was not pleasing. We are justified through faith and not works.

No, parables are defined as parables and an explanation is given. This was not a parable. It really happened.

verse 25 "But she came and worshiped him pleading again, Lord help me! Jesus responded, it isn't right to take food from the children and throw it to the dogs."
food being his guidance and healing "from the children" ( Gods chosen people/children ) "and throw it to the dogs". The dogs being the Gentiles.

At least that's what I got out of this when I read it last night. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

Jesus was first sent to the lost sheep of Israel, and was not sent to the Gentiles until Israel had first rejected the Messiah.

But I think you miss a bigger point, which is that Jesus used this women to make a point with the disciples, and with people of Israel and Jerusalem; that because of their disbelief, the grace and promises of the Lord through his covenant was to be extended to the Gentiles. I do not question how the Lord chooses to use someone in the moment. Who is to say exactly what purpose she was denied of Jesus at first. But then again, why did Lazarus have to die?

Jesus was first sent to the lost sheep of Israel, and was not sent to the Gentiles until Israel had first rejected the Messiah.

But I think you miss a bigger point, which is that Jesus used this women to make a point with the disciples, and with people of Israel and Jerusalem; that because of their disbelief, the grace and promises of the Lord through his covenant was to be extended to the Gentiles. I do not question how the Lord chooses to use someone in the moment. Who is to say exactly what purpose she was denied of Jesus at first. But then again, why did Lazarus have to die?
I did miss the bigger point. This is the only book I've read besides a couple in the Old Testament, and I still have the last 3 chapters. I read this passage last night and thought I would come on here to verify what I read. At first glace it looked like Jesus didn't want to help her because she was a Gentile but I get the moral of the story now.

Yes,Jesus loves all equally.No favoritism with Jesus unlike many,many people in this world.

Jesus hates some people. He doesn't love everyone equally. He shows No Partiality Among The Nations. He is not a racist, is another way of putting it.

But as for individuals, yes he does show favor to some. He clearly hates some people. Psalm 11:5 Psalm 5:5

I understand hating the sin and loving the sinner, but what about Satan? Do you think God hates Satan?

We have to be careful when talking about Satan. Satan tries to get us to act like him, start accusing and slandering etc etc..... So that he can accuse us in front of God.

Back