Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study John 3:16-19 Questions

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Riverwolf

My online reading plan today was John3 -

John 3:16 - When Jesus uses the word "gave" does he simply mean that he sent Jesus to earth as a human knowing he would be crucified? Is this gave?
John 3:18 - Jesus is talking to Nicodemus in the present tense, yes? So he has only begun his ministry yet speaks of those who are already condemned. Yet at this time hardly nobody could have heard of him yet? And it would seem that many would die before having the chance? Or is this only to those who hear (heard) him but don't believe?

Any help here is appreciated.

Amplified Bible

16For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten ([d]unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life. 17For God did not send the Son into the world in order to judge (to reject, to condemn, to pass sentence on) the world, but that the world might find salvation and be made safe and sound through Him.
18He who believes in Him [who clings to, trusts in, relies on Him] is not judged [he who trusts in Him never comes up for judgment; for him there is no rejection, no condemnation--he incurs no damnation]; but he who does not believe (cleave to, rely on, trust in Him) is judged already [he has already been convicted and has already received his sentence] because he has not believed in and trusted in the name of the only begotten Son of God. [He is condemned for refusing to let his trust rest in Christ's name.]
19The [basis of the] judgment (indictment, the test by which men are judged, the ground for the sentence) lies in this: the Light has come into the world, and people have loved the darkness rather than and more than the Light, for their works (deeds) were evil.(C)

1Pe 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
1Pe 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
1Pe 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

The Cross was from the beginning. Yes condemned already. (Adams sin) Mankind is sinful

1Co 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
1Co 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Webers_Home - Thanks for your replies. I suppose it is I who is splitting hairs. In 3:16 the use of "loved", and "gave", both past tense along with "believes" present tense can seem confusing to me if I dwell on it. As for 3:18, I was mixing up the idea of not believing with not knowing.

This is the Authorized King James Version:

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

I see Jesus speaking to the whole world because of what verse 17 says.

Amplified Bible

16For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten ([d]unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life. 17For God did not send the Son into the world in order to judge (to reject, to condemn, to pass sentence on) the world, but that the world might find salvation and be made safe and sound through Him.
18He who believes in Him [who clings to, trusts in, relies on Him] is not judged [he who trusts in Him never comes up for judgment; for him there is no rejection, no condemnation--he incurs no damnation]; but he who does not believe (cleave to, rely on, trust in Him) is judged already [he has already been convicted and has already received his sentence] because he has not believed in and trusted in the name of the only begotten Son of God. [He is condemned for refusing to let his trust rest in Christ's name.]
19The [basis of the] judgment (indictment, the test by which men are judged, the ground for the sentence) lies in this: the Light has come into the world, and people have loved the darkness rather than and more than the Light, for their works (deeds) were evil.(C)

1Pe 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
1Pe 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
1Pe 1:20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

The Cross was from the beginning. Yes condemned already. (Adams sin) Mankind is sinful

1Co 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
1Co 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Good material Reb..,
Yet, the fact of the ones who did not know is questionable? Rom. 2:14-15 & Gen. 6:3 finds that God did not have any of mankind without enough knowledge of His NATURE & the STRIVINGS of the Holy Spirit for any to be 'predestined' to be lost as I see it. Sure, they did not have as much Truth as we, yet, how much Truth do we have?? (ALL? Hardly)

It is true only, that mankind is REQUIRED BY THE GODHEADS CONDITIONS FOR SALVATION, to live up to ALL THE LIGHT THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT GIVES US. Rom. 8:14. Regardless of where we are at in knowledge!:thumbsup What more will God REQUIRE??? We can MATURE ONLY to this given knowledge.

--Elijah

PS: Our duty is a Loving recreated Prilivage. But God has never been totally dependant on man alone, just because 'some' seem to think of theirself as such!:screwloose

Jesus speaks in past and present tense because He is God in the flesh...

"John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
"John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

"Rev 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

"Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."

"John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back