Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Law of the Spirit

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Romans 8:1-2 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

My hope for this thread is to expound on the law of the Spirit. Please just add scripture that the Spirit has given you revelation when it comes to how you are operating in the Spirit.

I'll start. 1 Peter 4:7-8 The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

As others have stated, we are not perfect living in our human bodies. (even with the Spirit) We do have the mind of Christ and our minds are set on heavenly things now, but we have the disadvantage of a flesh body. Jesus does help us with this problem, but we are "being" transformed into his likeness. 2 Corinthians 3:18

The 1 Peter scripture shows us that love can cover sins. The Spirit is promoting love to help us along the path (kind of like a pep-talk) Probably so we don't get down if we have slipped a bit.

I would like a judgment free zone on this thread, so please just add what the Spirit is saying to you.

the law of the spirit of life is eternal life through Christ Jesus
the law of sin and death. is eternal death the eternal lake of fire

the law of the spirit is salvation if we are saved we have the holy spirit in us. we been set free . you used love covers a multitude of sins . in this world we live in .it take all we have to love .i don't hate anyone but there are those i had just as soon not even give the time of day. the Holy spirit leads us and guides us/ the spirit of truth all this comes through convictions . a trip to God wood shed here is a question how do we love the unlovable? i was almost one of these people i lived for me .yes i was married and had a family . but i still found me time and this me time just about cost me alot till the law of the spirit of life came into my heart

but i still found me time and this me time just about cost me alot till the law of the spirit of life came into my heart
So instead of selfish living, you have this now.

Galatians 2:19-20 For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Here is one of the more difficult spiritual truths for people to handle.

Matthew 5:38-39 "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you. Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

It goes in tandem with this scripture:

James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

The devil pokes at you trying to get you to sin. Don't do it. Don't give him what he gives you.

Example of the above: Road rage

I know this works, cause I have obeyed Jesus.... and I have not obeyed him and it went south.

Say you have someone tailgating you. What do you do?

if am running the speed limit and push my speed up .they still tailgate me .i let off the gas slow down
I would say let off the gas if they are able to pass you. Otherwise I think that is probably antagonizing not resisting. Resisting would be doing slightly over the speed limit (cause that is courteous) and then they have no excuse for how they are behaving. If you go faster and faster and faster, that is not resisting because you are feeding into that behavior.

I better post scripture otherwise this will be moved to a different category.

Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Our Attitude

Philippians 2:5-11
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus
Who, being the very nature God,
did not consider equality with God
something to be grasped,
but he made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death-
even death on a cross!

Therefore God exalted him to the
highest place.
and gave him the name that is
above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee
should bow,
In heaven and on earth and under
the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus
Christ is Lord,
to glory of God the Father.
This is one of the hardest things to do also. Humble ourselves. I personally have not mastered this and I think this will be one of the last things that God will be working out in me.

Luke 22:24-30 Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered the greatest. Jesus said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors. But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. You are those who have stood by me in my trials. And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

The law of the Spirit is not to fulfill the lust of the flesh. If we have not God in us then we are none of His own nor are we walking in His Holy Spirit.

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

I think that is probably antagonizing not resisting
your right but it is both chance to pass .it is sending a signal to back off plz . if they dont i drop it even slower .. i am more than aware of Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. . if i speed up say 5 more miles a hour they keep it up .i slow down by letting off the gas. is it being led of the spirit no . but it is saying plz dont tail gate me . resisting would be throwing on my brakes and letting them eat it. road rage is real i have had folks pass me right where the 2 lane turned to one. i fully agree with what your saying.. the old saying the best sermon ever preached is one lived.. trust me after preaching i been tested plenty of times.. i just say i hear ya Lord help me out. so the advice we give has to be lived also . many times we fail

Example of the above: Road rage

I know this works, cause I have obeyed Jesus.... and I have not obeyed him and it went south.

Say you have someone tailgating you. What do you do?
I slow down. If they continue to tailgate I slow even more. My thought is they should find it easier to go around me and if not we'll be slow enough that if something happens, neither my life or theirs is in serious risk. Usually they will eventually pass me.

i been tested plenty of times.. i just say i hear ya Lord help me out. so the advice we give has to be lived also . many times we fail
I'm gonna put these scriptures with what you posted.

James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

This is living out the word like you mentioned.

If we fail - 1 John 2:1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense - Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

The law of the Spirit is not to fulfill the lust of the flesh. If we have not God in us then we are none of His own nor are we walking in His Holy Spirit.

Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
I think this could be talked about in more detail, cause this is really the crux of the problems we have in our bodies.

We get scared of dying and people don't have the mind of Christ.

Colossians 3:1-4 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

I think this could be talked about in more detail, cause this is really the crux of the problems we have in our bodies.

Colossians 3:1-4 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

I use Colossians 3:1-4 often as it pretty much says it all within crucifying the flesh daily. It is no longer I that lives, but Christ who lives in me. It's not easy to let go of the flesh and walk in newness of life as we have a hard time submitting all to Christ and to let Him be in control of our life. The flesh will win many battles, but never the war as we are God's own even though we are weak in the flesh, but made strong through the Spirit.

Paul admonishes us to walk in the Spirit, so that we don’t fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

Those who practice the works of the flesh will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

Paul goes on to say that those who ”sow” or invest themselves toward the Spirit, (the things the Spirit desires) will reap everlasting life.

Some examples

Prayer and intercession
Repentance
Worship
Bible reading and meditation
Gathering with other believers
Bible Study
Giving to worthy causes
Witnessing
Seeing about widows and orphans
Visiting and praying for the sick
Visiting those in prison
Being led by the Spirit in helping others

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life. Galatians 6:7-8

Those who sow or invest themselves towards the desires of the flesh, (sin) will reap eternal death. Corruption.

JLB

I use Colossians 3:1-4 often as it pretty much says it all within crucifying the flesh daily. It is no longer I that lives, but Christ who lives in me. It's not easy to let go of the flesh and walk in newness of life as we have a hard time submitting all to Christ and to let Him be in control of our life. The flesh will win many battles, but never the war as we are God's own even though we are weak in the flesh, but made strong through the Spirit.
I love when you say the flesh will win battles but it won't win the war. That could be in one of Paul's letters it is so good.

1 Corinthians 9:25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

Back