Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Love Your Neighbor as Yourself?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

WIP

Staff member
18 You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.
Leviticus 19:18 NKJV

16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”
17 So He said to him,
“Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
18 He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’
19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

Matthew 19:16-19 NKJV

The phrase, "Love your neighbor as yourself" is repeated also in the following places.
Matthew 22:39
Mark 12:31
Romans 13:9
Galatians 5:14
James 2:8

A question I have about this is, what if one doesn't love himself/herself? There are people that do not like themselves very much. They may even go so far as to hate themselves. How do we reconcile this with Jesus' command to love our neighbors as ourselves?

Remember, this thread is in the Questions and Answers forum so please keep your responses toward answering the questions presented by the original poster. If you have a disagreement and wish to discuss it in more detail, please start a new discussion thread in an appropriate forum.

It is in the scripture I referenced. Romans 13:10

At this point I'm thinking you are trolling me.
There is more than on scripture in the Bible. Love does no harm. That does not mean love does no good either. And, most importantly, LOVE is the fulfillment of the law, not do not harm. Again, Jesus told the story of the man attacked and left to die on the side of the road. The guys who walked by ignoring him lying there did him no harm. Did they love him? According to Jesus, who was telling the story in direct answer to the question put to him as to who exactly is one's neighbor, did not think those who did no harm were loving him. In your view, they were.

18 You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.
Leviticus 19:18 NKJV

16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”
17 So He said to him,
“Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
18 He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’
19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

Matthew 19:16-19 NKJV

The phrase, "Love your neighbor as yourself" is repeated also in the following places.
Matthew 22:39
Mark 12:31
Romans 13:9
Galatians 5:14
James 2:8

A question I have about this is, what if one doesn't love himself/herself? There are people that do not like themselves very much. They may even go so far as to hate themselves. How do we reconcile this with Jesus' command to love our neighbors as ourselves?
If we thought about it, not liking who they are, that is, not liking themselves or even hating who they have become, is that not a sign of loving themselves? If they did not love themselves they would not care, right? Liking a man is not the same as loving them otherwise we could never love the ungodly. We do not like those who do wrong but we can love them. Just so we might not like what we do or who we have become but we do love us. This is how I think we can understand it. We do love ourselves, but we might not like who we have become.

for me anyway to love thy neighbor as thyself is to care for your neighbor as you care for yourself: that is, inasmuch as we care for the necessities of life for our own self; that we may receive meat and drink and be clothed and have shelter: this is how we care for (or love) our neighbors, caring for their welfare, their well being; when they are in need: this is the mind of Christ, that we regard and value others better than ourselves, and that we think upon their well being.

There is more than on scripture in the Bible. Love does no harm. That does not mean love does no good either. And, most importantly, LOVE is the fulfillment of the law, not do not harm. Again, Jesus told the story of the man attacked and left to die on the side of the road. The guys who walked by ignoring him lying there did him no harm. Did they love him? According to Jesus, who was telling the story in direct answer to the question put to him as to who exactly is one's neighbor, did not think those who did no harm were loving him. In your view, they were.
Thank you for finally acknowledging the scripture in which I was referencing. Hopefully we will come to agreement when I say you are correct in saying we help others, but I already had mentioned stepping in front of a bullet for others. So we finally are on the same page. If there is a choice between saving ourselves(physically) or saving the life of someone else(physically) it will be physically saving someone else.

Thank you for finally acknowledging the scripture in which I was referencing. Hopefully we will come to agreement when I say you are correct in saying we help others, but I already had mentioned stepping in front of a bullet for others. So we finally are on the same page. If there is a choice between saving ourselves(physically) or saving the life of someone else(physically) it will be physically saving someone else.
You need to stick to real every day examples. Few to no one is going to be asked to step in front of a bullet. Jesus used every day examples of how we should behave, not ones no one will be asked to do outside of the Secret Service and they don’t do it for love.

So when a question is asked, all answers have to AGREE with previous answers OR answer the question. No one is allowed to question an answer?
No, they do not have to agree but there is no debating. If you disagree, you can present your own opinion but leave it at that. If you want to discuss your disagreement in more detail, start a new discussion in the appropriate forum.

No, they do not have to agree but there is no debating. If you disagree, you can present your own opinion but leave it at that. If you want to discuss your disagreement in more detail, start a new discussion in the appropriate forum.
Ok, one post allowed when one disagrees with a post. One cannot say they disagree but merely say what one thinks. Got it!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back