Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Many Scriptural proofs of man’s inherited sin nature

Let’s start with WHY no human could be the father of Jesus.
“… she (Mary) was found with child of the Holy Spirit …
that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.†(Matthew 1:18,20)
“The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you†(Luke 1:35)
This miracle of the Holy Spirit ensured that Jesus would not inherit man’s sin nature.

Some verses from David … enjoy!
“Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me.†(Psalm 51:5)
“The wicked (sons of men, verse 1) are estranged from the womb;
they go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.†(Psalm 58:3)
“The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men … They have all turned aside,
they have all become corrupt; there is none who does good, no, not one.†(Psalm 14:2-3)
“God looks down from heaven upon the children of men … Every one of them has turned aside;
they have all become corrupt; there is none who does good, no, not one.†(Psalm 53:2-3)
“… for in Your sight no one living is righteous.†(Psalm 143:2)

Next up … various and sundry verses … enjoy!
“… (for there is no one who does not sin) …†(1 Kings 8:46, 2 Chronicles 6:36)
“For there is not a just man on earth who does good and does not sin.†(Ecclesiastes 7:20)
“Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? No one!†(Job 14:4)
“For I knew that you (Israel) … were called a transgressor from the womb.†(Isaiah 48:8)
“For we are all like an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses
are like filthy rags (women’s menstral cloths)†(Isaiah 64:6)
The Pharisees said to a man, “You were completely born in sins …†(John 9:34)

Jesus, of course, understood man’s disasterous spiritual condition
“If you (Jesus’ disciples) then, being evil, know how to give good gifts …†(Luke 11:13)
Did Jesus purposely choose evil men to be His disciples? No, He’s just saying that all men are evil.
“But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men, and had no need
that anyone should tell Him about man, for He knew what was in man.†(John 2:23-25)
“I am He who searches the minds and hearts.†(Revelation 2:23)
“Out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts,
false witness (lies), blasphemies.†(Matthew 15:19)

Paul (the Jewish scholar) just repeated what his Old Covenant Scriptures say
“As it is written: ‘There is none righteous, no, not one … there is none who does good,
no, not one.’ †(Romans 3:10-12). Paul is quoting here from Psalm 53:2-3.
“The Scripture has confined all under sin …†(Galatians 3:22)
“… through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin,
and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned …†(Romans 5:12)
“I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.
… the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.†(Romans 7:18-19)
“… through one man’s offense (Adam’s sin) judgment came to all men,
resulting in condemnation … in Adam all die (spiritually) …†(1 Corinthians 15:18, 22)
“And you He made alive, who were (spiritually) dead in trespasses and sins†(Eph. 2:1-3)

The Fall of Man affected more than just the human race
What happened between …
Genesis 1:31 “Then God saw everything that he had made, and indeed it was very good.â€
and …
Romans 8:21-22 “… the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption
into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans
and labors with birth pangs together until now.â€
What happened was “the Fall of Man†and this caused:
(1) a cursed man … an inherited sin nature, evil, sickness, physical death, spiritual death.
(2) a cursed creation … suffering, pain, disorder/chaos, death of God’s creatures.

Noah and his family carried the sin nature through the flood
Noah left the ark, built an altar, and offered a burnt offering to the Lord (Genesis 8:18-20).
â€Then the Lord said in His heart, ‘… the imagination f man’s heart is evil from his youth …’ †(Genesis 8:21)

Jews … how can you not believe in original sin?
Muslims … how can you say God’s prophets were all sinless?
Christians … how can you (especially) not believe in original sin?

If you're going to base a doctrine off of scripture it's quite helpful that you use the entire scripture not chunk it up in the middle of a passage. I can make any doctrine I so desire by being dishonest like that.

If you're going to base a doctrine off of scripture it's quite helpful that you use the entire scripture not chunk it up in the middle of a passage. I can make any doctrine I so desire by being dishonest like that.
Care to provide just ONE example where I've been dishonest and tried to deceive anyone?

It's clear we all have a sin nature so as to prove the veracity of Holiness. Let all men be liars that God be True.

Care to provide just ONE example where I've been dishonest and tried to deceive anyone?

I'm just doing the Christian expectation of asking you to provide the entire passage when you quote it. For many centuries people have pulled out snippets like you did and created doctrines for it that run contrary to what the full scripture actually says.

“For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with,
that we should no longer be slaves to sin” (Romans 6:6 – NIV, 1984)

“For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law
were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. … I know that nothing good lives in me,
that is, in my sinful nature. … So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law,
but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.” (Romans 7:5,18,25 – NIV, 1984)

“Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires;
but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.
… Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.
… Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation — but it is not to the sinful nature
… For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die …” (Romans 8:5,8,12,13 – NIV, 1984)

“But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.
… So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary
to the sinful nature. … Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature
with its passions and desires.” (Galatians 5:13,16,17,24 – NIV, 1984)

“The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction”
(Galatians 6:8 – NIV, 1984)

“All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following
its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.” (Ephesians 2:3 – NIV, 1984)

“In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision
done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ … When you were dead in your sins
and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ.”
(Colossians 2:11,13 – NIV, 1984)

“This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority.
For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature
(2 Peter 2:10,18 – NIV, 1984)

Throughout the Qur'an, Muslims are told that man just "chooses" to sin.
Just another Islamic doctrine that goes against what the Bible clearly teaches.

“For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with,
that we should no longer be slaves to sin†(Romans 6:6 – NIV, 1984)

“For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law
were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. … I know that nothing good lives in me,
that is, in my sinful nature. … So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law,
but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.†(Romans 7:5,18,25 – NIV, 1984)

“Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires;
but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.
… Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.
… Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation — but it is not to the sinful nature
… For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die …†(Romans 8:5,8,12,13 – NIV, 1984)

“But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.
… So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary
to the sinful nature. … Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature
with its passions and desires.†(Galatians 5:13,16,17,24 – NIV, 1984)

“The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destructionâ€
(Galatians 6:8 – NIV, 1984)

“All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following
its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.†(Ephesians 2:3 – NIV, 1984)

“In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision
done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ … When you were dead in your sins
and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ.â€
(Colossians 2:11,13 – NIV, 1984)

“This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority.
For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human natureâ€
(2 Peter 2:10,18 – NIV, 1984)

Throughout the Qur'an, Muslims are told that man just "chooses" to sin.
Just another Islamic doctrine that goes against what the Bible clearly teaches.
This is so true that men have a sin nature, or Christ is a lie. I see the sin nature at work all the time and testify to it in my own self. One cannot choose to do what is right when what they think is right, is in reality, wrong.

“The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you†(Luke 1:35)
This miracle of the Holy Spirit ensured that Jesus would not inherit man’s sin nature.

Some verses from David … enjoy!
“Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me.†(Psalm 51:5)
“The wicked (sons of men, verse 1) are estranged from the womb;
they go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.†(Psalm 58:3)
“The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men … They have all turned aside,
they have all become corrupt; there is none who does good, no, not one.†(Psalm 14:2-3)
“God looks down from heaven upon the children of men … Every one of them has turned aside;
they have all become corrupt; there is none who does good, no, not one.†(Psalm 53:2-3)
“… for in Your sight no one living is righteous.†(Psalm 143:2)

If having a sin nature were true, then Christ would have inherited it from his mother. Also, if Christ was not born with a depraved nature then He was not made like His brethren in all things nor was He tempted in all points as we are, Heb 2:14-18; 4:15.

John Zain said:
Next up … various and sundry verses … enjoy!
“… (for there is no one who does not sin) …†(1 Kings 8:46, 2 Chronicles 6:36)
“For there is not a just man on earth who does good and does not sin.†(Ecclesiastes 7:20)
“Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? No one!†(Job 14:4)
“For I knew that you (Israel) … were called a transgressor from the womb.†(Isaiah 48:8)
“For we are all like an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses
are like filthy rags (women’s menstral cloths)†(Isaiah 64:6)
The Pharisees said to a man, “You were completely born in sins …†(John 9:34)

Jesus, of course, understood man’s disasterous spiritual condition
“If you (Jesus’ disciples) then, being evil, know how to give good gifts …†(Luke 11:13)
Did Jesus purposely choose evil men to be His disciples? No, He’s just saying that all men are evil.
“But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men, and had no need
that anyone should tell Him about man, for He knew what was in man.†(John 2:23-25)
“I am He who searches the minds and hearts.†(Revelation 2:23)
“Out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts,
false witness (lies), blasphemies.†(Matthew 15:19)

Paul (the Jewish scholar) just repeated what his Old Covenant Scriptures say
“As it is written: ‘There is none righteous, no, not one … there is none who does good,
no, not one.’ †(Romans 3:10-12). Paul is quoting here from Psalm 53:2-3.
“The Scripture has confined all under sin …†(Galatians 3:22)
“… through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin,
and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned …†(Romans 5:12)
“I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.
… the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.†(Romans 7:18-19)
“… through one man’s offense (Adam’s sin) judgment came to all men,
resulting in condemnation … in Adam all die (spiritually) …†(1 Corinthians 15:18, 22)
“And you He made alive, who were (spiritually) dead in trespasses and sins†(Eph. 2:1-3)

The Fall of Man affected more than just the human race
What happened between …
Genesis 1:31 “Then God saw everything that he had made, and indeed it was very good.â€
and …
Romans 8:21-22 “… the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption
into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans
and labors with birth pangs together until now.â€
What happened was “the Fall of Man†and this caused:
(1) a cursed man … an inherited sin nature, evil, sickness, physical death, spiritual death.
(2) a cursed creation … suffering, pain, disorder/chaos, death of God’s creatures.

Noah and his family carried the sin nature through the flood
Noah left the ark, built an altar, and offered a burnt offering to the Lord (Genesis 8:18-20).
â€Then the Lord said in His heart, ‘… the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth …’ †(Genesis 8:21)

Jews … how can you not believe in original sin?
Muslims … how can you say God’s prophets were all sinless?
Christians … how can you (especially) not believe in original sin?
None of the verses you posted above teach total depravity. The problem with the idea of total depravity is that it makes God culpable for the lost. If I were totally depraved and God did not "regenerate" me then whose fault is it that I would be a lost 'unregenerate'? God's.

God forms the spirit within man, Zech 12:1. If God formed a depraved spirit within me then will He punish me for all eternity for the way He MADE/CAUSED/FORCED me to be? No, for that idea is an attack on God's character for God would not be love, not merciful, not graceful, not just.

Just curious, but do you then think that John the Baptist did not inherit Man's "sin nature"?

This is what the angel Gabriel says of John to his father:

Luke 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

None of the verses you posted above teach total depravity. The problem with the idea of total depravity is that it makes God culpable for the lost. If I were totally depraved and God did not "regenerate" me then whose fault is it that I would be a lost 'unregenerate'? God's.
Yours, if you didn't deserve to be regenerated. Do people deserve to be regenerated? Why would we take it that God's culpable for not doing something ... He's not obligated to do?

Yours, if you didn't deserve to be regenerated. Do people deserve to be regenerated? Why would we take it that God's culpable for not doing something ... He's not obligated to do?

It's not my fault God formed within me a depraved spirit nor is it my fault if God fails to "regenerate" me...it's all out of my control so none of it is my fault. End result we have God punishing me because of the way He made me.

Why would I deserve or not deserve 'regeneration'?

Is there something I can do to earn/merit 'regeneration'?

It's not my fault God formed within me a depraved spirit nor is it my fault if God fails to "regenerate" me...it's all out of my control so none of it is my fault.
End result we have God punishing me because of the way He made me.
It's a bit of a long story, but ...
God's creation fell from His grace, fell out of fellowship with Him,
became separated from Him, etc., and does not deserve to be in heaven with Him.
Grace begins when He devised a plan for some to make it to Heaven.
In GOD's eyes (not yours) ... NONE deserve grace, but SOME get grace.

It's a bit of a long story, but ...
God's creation fell from His grace, fell out of fellowship with Him,
became separated from Him, etc., and does not deserve to be in heaven with Him.
Grace begins when He devised a plan for some to make it to Heaven.
In GOD's eyes (not yours) ... NONE deserve grace, but SOME get grace.
This does not prove that man is born totally depraved.

Ernest T. Bass said:
This does not prove that man is born totally depraved.
What would you say is the difference between "man in the flesh" and "man in the spirit"? Also, how would you describe what the "flesh" is and what the "spirit" is, in this context?

Ernest T. Bass said:
End result we have God punishing me because of the way He made me.
This has been addressed in Rom 9:19-20 with more elaboration in the rest of that chapter. Tell me, without the power of hindsight, would you say that there is a remote minute chance that you could have refrained from sinning in the Garden of Eden if you had been in the place of Adam?

And they heard the voice of the Lord God..

Interesting to notice that AFTER the fall in the garden... Adam and his wife HEARD THE VOICE of the LORD.. and not only that.. they understood it..

They even had a conversation for crying out loud.. lol

What would you say is the difference between "man in the flesh" and "man in the spirit"? Also, how would you describe what the "flesh" is and what the "spirit" is, in this context?

This has been addressed in Rom 9:19-20 with more elaboration in the rest of that chapter. Tell me, without the power of hindsight, would you say that there is a remote minute chance that you could have refrained from sinning in the Garden of Eden if you had been in the place of Adam?

In rom 8:4-9 one either chooses to set his mind on things of the spirit or things of the flesh. Things of the spirit means one has chosen to set his mind on God's word and doing God's will. To mind things of the flesh (not literal flesh) means I have chosen to not do God's will, to reject God's word. These are two different mindsets I can choose to have and not forced to be born with a depraved nature.

In Gen 4:7 God shows Cain had a choice to do well or not do well for Cain was not totally depraved where he was only able to not do well.

Rom 9 in no way teaches that God causes man to be a sinner just so God can then punish him.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not my fault God formed within me a depraved spirit nor is it my fault if God fails to "regenerate" me...it's all out of my control so none of it is my fault. End result we have God punishing me because of the way He made me.

No, as you noted, God made humanity good.

Unfortunately, the first human broke with God, lost his inheritance, and you're dealing with the consequences of that lost inheritance. You were born without it -- without the good that God first gave -- due to Adam's repudiation of that inheritance.

The chain of inheritance is broken, and you're born without it. God's under no obligation to give you what someone else repudiated, breaking the chain to you.

No, as you noted, God made humanity good.

Unfortunately, the first human broke with God, lost his inheritance, and you're dealing with the consequences of that lost inheritance. You were born without it -- without the good that God first gave -- due to Adam's repudiation of that inheritance.

The chain of inheritance is broken, and you're born without it. God's under no obligation to give you what someone else repudiated, breaking the chain to you.

Adam was not created totally depraved, he chose of his own will to sin. No one is born totally depraved people of their own will choose to sin.

Rom 3:12 "They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

"Gone out of the way" is far different from saying "born out of the way". And "become unprofitable" is far different from saying "born unprofitable".

You have not yet rectified the problem of putting the blame on God for the lost.

If God created me an unregenerate depraved person and only God can regenerate me yet He does not, then it is ALL God's fault for me being lost. God does not owe me anything but that does not take away the blame from God for me being lost. How can you blame me for something I had not control over or say so about? And if God has blame then He is not a holy or just God. Rom 1 says men are "without excuse" yet you are giving me the best excuse in the world.

Back