Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Matthew 16:18-19

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
tjw said:
Can someone explain what is meant in Matthew 16:18-19?

Matthew 16:16-20.
16Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter,[c] and on [this / that] [rock / Rock] I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[d] will not overcome it.[e] 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[f] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[g] loosed in heaven." 20Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.

Deuteronomy 32:15
Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; filled with food, he became heavy and sleek. He abandoned the God who made him and rejected the Rock his Savior.

Deuteronomy 32:18
You deserted the Rock, who fathered you; you forgot the God who gave you birth.

Deuteronomy 32:30
How could one man chase a thousand, or two put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, unless the LORD had given them up?

Deuteronomy 32:31
For their rock is not like our Rock, as even our enemies concede.1 Samuel 2:2
"There is no one holy like the LORD; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:47
"The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior!

2 Samuel 23:3
The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me: 'When one rules over men in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God,
Ect,ect,ect.

Would Christ exalt Peter head of the congregation before he would the Rock of Ages? To whom belongs the glory, to Peter or Our Rock?

Last edited by a moderator:

17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter,[c] and on [this / that] [rock / Rock] I will build my church...

These verses are seldom explained by ministers.Lets use the Contemporary English Translation to get a better understanding.

Matthew 16:18-19

18 So I will call you Peter,(JESUS CHANGED HIS NAME FROM SIMON. THE NAME PETER) means "a rock." On this rock I will build my church,(CATHOLICS BELIEVE THIS REFERS TO THEIR CHURCH,PROTESTANTS BELIEVE IT MEANS THAT JESUS IS THE FOUNDER OF ALL TRUE CHRISTIAN CHURCHES ) and death (BEING SENT TO ETERNAL DEATH DUE TO SIN) itself will not have power over (WILL NOT OVER-POWER ) it. 19 I will give you (ALL CHRISTIANS )the keys to the kingdom of heaven,(THE ABILITY TO TESTIFY AND WIN SOULS FOR CHRIST) and God in heaven will allow whatever you allow on earth.(THIS REFERS TO GOD ANSWERING PRAYERS) But he will not allow anything that you don't allow. (THIS REFERS TO REJECTING SINFUL BEHAVIOR AND MORE SPECIFICALLY,THE WORKS OF SATAN)

http://www.biblepath.com/peter.html
According to Church tradition, the Roman Emperor Nero, publicly announcing himself the chief enemy of God, was led in his fury to slaughter the Apostles. Because of this persecution, Peter was crucified upside down while in Rome.
All you have to do is renounce your faith to the world and you can prevent persecution by martyrdom, however all the apostles and Christ Himself remain loyal to God unto death. This fulfills what Jesus said in Matthew 10:39
38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.
The world is somewhat more tolerant of religion since western civilization has spawned from Christian roots, however "atheistic science" is a new religion on the scene already attempting to threaten Christ's kingdom on earth (from one such perspective).

mdo757 said:

17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter,[c] and on [this / that] [rock / Rock] I will build my church...

Sounds very clear to most! :clap And there is the next few Words that explain who it is that is in His CHURCH that Christ did indeed trust CONDITIONALLY with the 'Keys of the Kingdom'! And young unconverted Pet is NO WHERE in sight yet.

Matt. 18

[14] Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.
[15] Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
[16] But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
[17] And if he shall neglect to hear them, [tell it unto the church:] but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
[18] Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

And even so, this was nothing new! Eccl. 3:15. Israel of old were given the same [Required Responsibility]. If they remained as a Virgin Fold, OBEDIENCE was Required to follow. And if not? In time, Rev. 2:5 applied. (Matt. 23:38 + Rev. 3:9 & ibid 16-17)

And this Peter stuff, and the whole 'fold' would be SPEWED OUT! One can read Rev. 17:1-5 and see that this Apostate Woman (Church) has long long been past/tense along with her daughters in verse 5. :crying

--Elijah

Anyone who follows him is his church. HIM, first, not a church.

'Church' just means group of believers.

Follow the shepherd in company with other sheep. Not follow the other sheep to get to the shepherd. They arn't the shepherd. Some of them might be called to be 'shepherds' but not the shepherd. He comes first.

In otherwords a christian is a follower of christ. Not a follower of the pope, or a denominations theology, or a pastor. You might choose to learn what you can from an individual, (and that is very wise if it's in the right context) but that individual (or denomination) is not God and never can be. Only God is God. Only he can shape you into the kind of christian that he wants with him for eternity. Because only he truly knows your heart.

That means he gets the last say.

17Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter,[c] and on [this / that] [rock / Rock] I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[d] will not overcome it.[e] 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[f] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[g] loosed in heaven." 20Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.

Deuteronomy 32:15
Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; filled with food, he became heavy and sleek. He abandoned the God who made him and rejected the Rock his Savior.

Deuteronomy 32:18
You deserted the Rock, who fathered you; you forgot the God who gave you birth.

Deuteronomy 32:30
How could one man chase a thousand, or two put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, unless the LORD had given them up?

Deuteronomy 32:31
For their rock is not like our Rock, as even our enemies concede.1 Samuel 2:2
"There is no one holy like the LORD; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:47
"The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior!

2 Samuel 23:3
The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me: 'When one rules over men in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God,
Ect,ect,ect.

Hi, very good answer to the question, and Christ told the same Truth over in Matt. 18 for who had the keys to heavens kingdom. (Of course it is conditional on Obedience to Christ's Word. Rev. 2:5)

[15] Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
[16] But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
[17] And if he shall neglect to hear them, [tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.]
[18] Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

--Elijah

Hi, very good answer to the question, and Christ told the same Truth over in Matt. 18 for who had the keys to heavens kingdom. (Of course it is conditional on Obedience to Christ's Word. Rev. 2:5)

[17] And if he shall neglect to hear them, [tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.]

--Elijah

me again:
Bible Study? Well, this is END TIME BIBLE STUDY! We first see Eccl. 3:15 documenting repeat on salvation maturity issues. And Rev. is the LAST Book! In it we see as it all finishes up that there are few actually saved in comparison to the Matt. 7 Broadway professers. And it does document that there are a large number other than the ones who are living at Christ Second Coming who are saved. But lets take a look at the only ones saved at the end with Matt. 16:19 in mind?? '.. and whatsoever thou shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, shall be loosed in heaven'.

Rev. 12
[12] Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that [he hath but a short time.] (again read Eccl. 1:9-10 + Eccl. 3:15)

[13] And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.
[14] And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
[15] And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.
[16] And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.
(OK: Are you AWAKE? Do you BELIEVE Inspiration? Who here has the Keys to the Kingdom?? The many or the few?? And it was the woman who were executing the REMNANT! Go back to Matt. 10:23 and see what Christ 'documented' while there speaking for this day!)
[17] And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and [went to make war with the remnant] of her seed, [which keep the commandments of God], and [have the testimony of Jesus Christ.]

It that hard to understand??

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back