Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Matthew Chapter 13

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I'm starting to like your sights Douglas!

Here is another promise of the Gospel. Unfortunately, when we read it, we tend only to take part 1, and we neglect part 2:

Luke 20:18
Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

When we "fall" upon The Rock, Jesus, our Lord, we are in essence, BROKEN from Satan's power. (Acts 26:18) But, as you also note, sin remains in the "churches" and "sin is of the devil." 1 John 3:8. So there REMAINS that which is to be GROUND TO POWDER.

Paul notes where this "grinding or bruising," if you prefer, will transpire, here:

Romans 16:20
And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

or, as stated in the NIV:

20 The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.-

Hi smaller, Amen. I had not caught those verses, but it makes sense, we are not to fear, for Christ has beaten Satan, and so shall we through Christ in us, defeat him also.. This is not a hope that we will, It is a fact that we will. (.John Chapter 17 )

In Christ
Douglas Summers

Hi smaller, Amen. I had not caught those verses, but it makes sense, we are not to fear, for Christ has beaten Satan, and so shall we through Christ in us, defeat him also.. This is not a hope that we will, It is a fact that we will. (.John Chapter 17 )

In Christ
Douglas Summers
There are two primary messages of The Gospel. One, is to uplift our Savior to all men. The other, to utterly condemn Satan and his messengers, all their works and ways, the current overlords of and within ALL the spiritually blinded.

It is a fine needle to thread.

When The Spirit of Christ spoke to the 7 churches of Revelation, the works of Satan were addressed in ALL of them. And I might extend that to every member as well, seeing that we all have sin and have sinned.

When WE hear, THEN the end will come. Our HOPE is in the destruction of Satan, and an end to sin, evil and eventually the power of death itself, the LAST enemy of us all.

You are RIGHT. The world of the spiritually blind is PROMISED by Gods Own Words, to progress, worse and worse. We only think it's bad now. But everyday, the headlines continue to send SHOCK WAVES of IMMORALITY through our system, and we seem quite helpless to be able to stop it.

Romans 7:
13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

So, do we FIGHT this reality? Or, rather, do we pour GAS on the fire and be IN LINE with the intentions of God, by His Commandments?

God gave the COMMANDMENTS exactly for the underlined purposes above. I respect His Sovereignty in this matter, and it can be no other direction, than that which Paul stipulated above.

When Gods Laws are upheld, it was, is and will be to send the world headlong, into MORE SIN. It is in fact A PROMISE of the Gospel.

2 Timothy 3:13
But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

That is A PROMISE of the Gospel!

Good Spiritual insight smaller. Before I retired I had a women who worked for me that was a Genetic Biologist named Reta Hamilton. She did research at Vanderbilt University and had been published over 30 time in the Science Journals . She believed that science was the answer to life and a better world. We became close and I would always talk about the Lord to her through several personal tragedies. I did not give her sermons or warning, but I comforted her in the Scriptural truths that had comforted me. I preached her husbands funeral when he passed. Sometime later they found cancer in her brain and chest. But when she left this world , she was at peace with the Lord and full of Grace. After I preached her funeral, it was her niece that told me about her view of science as the answer to the worlds ill's and the dramatic change to the Glory of the Lord. walking with the Lord daily can be enough to witness of Himself to others.

In Christ
Douglas Summers

There are two primary messages of The Gospel. One, is to uplift our Savior to all men. The other, to utterly condemn Satan and his messengers, all their works and ways, the current overlords of and within ALL the spiritually blinded.

It is a fine needle to thread.

When The Spirit of Christ spoke to the 7 churches of Revelation, the works of Satan were addressed in ALL of them. And I might extend that to every member as well, seeing that we all have sin and have sinned.

When WE hear, THEN the end will come. Our HOPE is in the destruction of Satan, and an end to sin, evil and eventually the power of death itself, the LAST enemy of us all.

AMEN, smaller. Sadly, not many understand this, but there is now no condemnation for those that are in Christ Jesus who let Him in. He stands at the door knocking. The visible church is a mixed multitude of wheat and tares. The Scriptural warning to the Church has confused many believers. But they are warnings to those who say they are....but are not . It started in the Garden of Eden and will continue until the Son of man shall send forth His angles and gather out all things that offend and them that do iniquity, Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father (Matt. 13:41-43)

In Christ
Douglas Summers

I agree with you reba, but there is a scripture that has been on my mind lately, and I am still pondering the breadth and depth of its meaning, but none the less it gives me pause about not teaching sin in His kingdom.

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

What does it mean that he has been made sin for us? He has been made sin for us so we can know the Righteousness of God?

I have posted a question in my Bible study thread on the Two Covenants, to which no one has thus far answered, and is in fact very much related. I may post more of my thoughts on this in my own thread, but then again if nobody shows any interest in engaging in that discussion, I might just keep it to myself.
Here is how Jesus was "made sin for us"

The law cursed Him!
(Gal 3:13) Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

That is why the law was abolished :) Only then can Israel be saved, was when that law was taken away! Awesome huh!

:sohappy

Here is how Jesus was "made sin for us"

The law cursed Him!
(Gal 3:13) Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

That is why the law was abolished :) Only then can Israel be saved, was when that law was taken away! Awesome huh!

:sohappy

Greetings, The Law was never taken away, for the Law is Holy, righteous and true. In fact we are to uphold or establish the Law. (Rom. 3: 30-31) We establish the Law by letting it do what it's intended use is, and that is to condemn sin in sinful man and that in turn sends us to Christ, Amen. But we are no longer under the penalty of the Law. (Rom. 7: 6-14)

For there is no longer any condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus........(Rom. 8:1-4)

In Christ
Douglas Summers

Greetings, The Law was never taken away, for the Law is Holy, righteous and true. In fact we are to uphold or establish the Law. (Rom. 3: 30-31) We establish the Law by letting it do what it's intended use is, and that is to condemn sin in sinful man and that in turn sends us to Christ, Amen. But we are no longer under the penalty of the Law. (Rom. 7: 6-14)

For there is no longer any condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus........(Rom. 8:1-4)

In Christ
Douglas Summers

Greetings to you to!

And actually yes, the Law was taken away and abolished. Perhaps you didn't see these verses I posted earlier. Just wondering, are you a Christian? I'm new here so was just wondering perhaps you were Jewish maybe if you didn't think the law has been abolished... Please forgive me I wouldn't know why else you might post that...

But read here, you'll see how the Holy Spirit reveals that Law being abolished so that Life could come to us :) Blessings!

2Co_3:13 And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:
Eph_2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
(2Co 3:3) manifested that ye are a letter of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God, not in the tablets of stone, but in fleshy tablets of the heart,
2Co_3:7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
(2Co 3:14) But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

(Rom 10:4) For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

I got to thinking, I hope my question wasn't offensive Douglas. Perhaps you are a new Christians? It's just that in another place I made a reply to someone whom I found out later to be a Jew which explained why they said what they said, and so I sure don't mean to be rude, if it seemed so. Anyway, thanks for being understanding :) I'm old you know! haha :dunce

Absolutely
I Timothy 1:8
But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

eddif
Absolutely! And how can we tell he is using it lawfully?

When it brings a Jew to Christ :) Then the law ends, for then it has no more use :)

(Rom 10:4) For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Once we are in Christ, we no more look back at that law. And here is a sobering thought for whoever that person might be...

(Luk 9:62) And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

(Gal 2:19) For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

I have no issues with the law, which is against sinners and against lawlessness in anyone.

Thankfully God in Christ is also, so aligned. Yes, the LAW is against "my sin." I'm OK with that, and wouldn't expect it any other way.

1 Timothy 1:9
Knowing this, that the law is
not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

We take on the LAW ourselves to find our death to sin, which does INDWELL us all. In this way, we reign over it, even though it being there to try to reign, even receiving the power of resistance to The Word, The Law. The Law is a red alert system in this way, making us recognize our internal contentions, as a reality.

So why are we even speaking about looking back and "keeping the law" on a Christian forum? I think I'll talk about other things :) I love you all!

I got to thinking, I hope my question wasn't offensive Douglas. Perhaps you are a new Christians? It's just that in another place I made a reply to someone whom I found out later to be a Jew which explained why they said what they said, and so I sure don't mean to be rude, if it seemed so. Anyway, thanks for being understanding :) I'm old you know! haha :dunce

Hi Martyr, No you did not offend me. Sometimes when posting, what may sound like an argument is just a quick thought written down as it comes to mind. As a born again Christian I don't get angry or combative, But I will contend for the Faith. I'am a pastor /teacher by calling. I will leave you with this. In Matthew Christ came preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom of the Heavens. On the Sermon on the mountain He gives the constitution and the principles and rules of that Kingdom, (that was law). The law that God gave to Moses was Spiritual, Israel tried to live it by the letter. The Law is the moral standard of God's will in His Kingdom. There has to be law. Without law there is no conviction of sin (Rom. 3:21-31). We do not void the Law because of faith, but we uphold the law. How do we uphold the law? We let the law do what it's intended purpose was and that was to condemn sin in sinful man and that in turn sends us to Christ by faith who is our "propitiation" Our eternal mercy seat to declare our righteousness before God Amen. So now we serve God in the newness of the Spirit and not the letter of the Law. So, is the Law sin? No! For without the law I did not know sin. (Rom. 7: 7-14).

The new Covenant was not given because the Old Covenant was a bad Covenant. The new Covenant was given because men did not obey it (Heb. 8:6-13). So the Old Covenant is vanishing (not the law). For the OC was asking (if you will-man Ex. 19: 4-5)) The NC says (I will-God Heb. 8:10)
So the moral law of God's nature still stands, but not the penalty of those in Christ Jesus. For if the law was done away with, how would God judge the sinners with no law?
Study the Scriptures I gave you carefully, I'am not looking back at the letter of the Law, but I'am living the law by the Spirit of Christ in me by grace.

In Christ
Douglas Summers

Hi Douglas than you for saying :) I think we all know that the law of Moses was spiritual (Rom 7:14). And we all know that none of us can keep that law because of sin (1 Cor 15:56) and that it kills anyone who tries. It even killed Jesus who kept it perfectly when it cursed Him (Gal 3:13)

But what I don't think "we all know" is that THAT is the reason it was "abolished" (Eph 2:15, 2 Cor 3:13, 1 Cor 13:10, etc).
That "glorious spiritual Law" was done way at Christ's death as it is written. When it "cursed Him". (To be replaced with the Ultimate Glorious Grace elaborated in 2 Cor 3)
THAT is the point doesn't seem to be present in your expositions.
...and the surrounding points crucial to knowing of that old Law "being done away" seems to be somehow diluted and confused if not altogether missing when I read your posts.
So I am hoping for clarification in this manner if you might be so kind to bear with me...

So here's my question Douglas;

Do you recognize that the Law of Moses was a Marriage Contract?

And if so, the very important second question,

Do you believe that Old Law Marriage Contract is STILL BINDING on a Believer?

Thank you and so looking forward to your answer, I can't wait to watch you lay out the scripture with the answer, I would just love that!

Last edited:
Absolutely

Absolutely! And how can we tell he is using it lawfully?

When it brings a Jew to Christ :) Then the law ends, for then it has no more use :)

Once we are in Christ, we no more look back at that law. Paul in order to enter the temple to preach, he walks orderly and keepest the law (Act 21: 17-30) Not that he was under the law, but he was under the law of Christ. And here is a sobering thought for whoever that person might be...

(Luk 9:62) And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

(Gal 2:19) For I through the law am dead to the law, Yes, dead to the penalty of the law, but the Law itself is not dead (Rom. 3:31) that I might live unto God.

Hi Douglas than you for saying :) I think we all know that the law of Moses was spiritual (Rom 7:14). And we all know that none of us can keep that law because of sin (1 Cor 15:56) and that it kills anyone who tries. It even killed Jesus who kept it perfectly when it cursed Him (Gal 3:13)

But what I don't think "we all know" is that THAT is the reason it was "abolished" at Christ's death as it is written. When it "cursed Him". That point doesn't seem to be present in your expositions, and the surrounding points of that "being done away" seems to be somehow diluted and confused if not altogether missing, when I read your posts. So I am hoping for clarification in this manner if you might be so kind to bear with me...

So here's my question Douglas;

Do you recognize that the Law of Moses was a Marriage Contract? Hi, Paul uses that as an example of a contract between Israel and God. And the Contract was, " If you will obey " (Ex. 19:5) There was noting wrong with the Covenant. Israel broke the contract, but because of God's grace He gave them a new contract that says, "I will put my laws into their minds and write them in their hearts" (Heb. 8:10). What laws do you think He put into their minds and hearts? The same laws He always upheld. Only this covenant not only paid the penalty for our past sins but forever for those who are born of the Spirit of the law through the eternal Spirit of Christ in us Amen. (Rom. 8:1-4)

And if so, the very important second question,

Do you believe that Old Law Marriage Contract is STILL BINDING on a Believer? No.

Thank you and so looking forward to your answer, but please please if you volunteer a reply, lay out the scripture with it I would just love that!
I have given you Scripture with my other post...did you study them?

I don't think we need anymore discussion on this subject. One day it will be like a light goes off in our minds and understanding of Scripture will be complete

In Gods Mercy and Grace
Douglas Summers

No, Douglas it is not just the "penalty" of the law that is dead. It is the law itself that we are dead to if we are in Christ. Let's not add a word in to change the meaning of Holy Writ. I'm not good with that.

And Act 21:17-30 does not nullify the massive number of verses concerning the law being abolished.

In those same verses we KNOW that Paul was teaching THIS, " (Act 21:21) and they have been informed concerning thee, that thou teachest all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, telling them not to circumcise their children neither to walk after the customs."

Just as in every place else Paul spoke, we aren't "under that law". They heard him say that. Over and over.

IT WAS CAUSING A PROBLEM. IT CREATED A STUMBLINGBLOCK FOR THE JEWS. SO PAUL COMPROMISED IN VERSE ... THAT IS THE STORY.

All it shows was that Paul was being "all things to all people". I do this too! I go to different churches all the time. I'm a Catholic when I go to catholic church. I'm a sda when I go to sda church. I'm a Pentecostal when I go to Pentecostal churches. I'm a Jew when I go to synagogues.

That's all Paul was doing.

(1Co 9:20) And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain Jews; to them that are under the law, [[[as under the law, not being myself under the law]]], that I might gain them that are under the law;

Truly, you will have your hands full with me in attempting to somehow 'prove' keeping the law is somehow still an option for a Christian. Nothing of what you have or ever could possibly come up with can nullify the truth. I've given the scriptures. The scriptures are the authority, not our personal opinions or a denominations doctrines and creeds. Let's agree to be the same in this... please?
Let's deal with what the Book actually says and not try to inject a denominational doctrine into them is my only request, please. You made a mess out of your last post doing that my dear. But I love you anyway!

I've read and responded to all your scriptures Douglas. But what I am seeing is that you use certain scriptures "in part", attempting to reverse the entire meaning of all the scriptures I've provided to you.
I believe you might be a wonderful pastor. But I really think you could be a much better student my dear.
Blessings in Love!

Leaven is nowhere in the Scriptures to be of anything good or Holy. You will not find that reference anywhere. Leaven in every case represents evil.

Pardon my late entry to the discussion and I invite you to welcome me with open arms. Or, if not me, then welcome Christ in me as I do also you!

Something was being said that caught my eagle eye and almost brought out the "hawk" in me. But I am determined to keep my sharp beak in check and to speak softly and yet... I do want to try to correct what I see as a misunderstanding. It's about the two kinds of leaven. There has been good effort to stay away from debate and I'll give full respect (as if I'm an intruder) but let me interject something, please. It's short. Hopefully it is also sweet. It's also from the Gospel of Matthew but found in chapter 16 (not 13) so I apologize for that part but that's not my fault.

Here we go:

"Matthew 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees ... Matthew 16:12Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees" (Matthew 16:6,12 KJV)
"Therefore let us keep the Feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness"

The very fact that leaven there is called "old leaven" opens the possibility of some kind of new stuff. I don't know. Let's call it a new word, shall we? Mana-leaven. Stuff that proliferates. Or if you really hate that word leaven so much? Okay. You're correct. Maybe we should just call it mana. Jesus is the mana from heaven. Living a truly Christian life includes observing all of the true Christian Holy Days (or rather, allowing the Holy Spirit to lead us in all truth so that we are observing the fulfillment of all) means putting out the ways of sin, while growing (not merely sitting there like a lifeless lump) toward the Kingdom that is coming to fill all the earth.

So now we are entering into the well known troubled waters of semantics. And as we search for a word or an action or metaphor that means that healthy life includes spiritual sexual function -- we might reach out to the bread of life which, by it's very nature, is HOLY but also able to increase to abundance! And to overjoy us. We know that Jesus is well beyond a Master and our hope soars as we try to bring down to simple words what it means to be impregnated with such great and grand hope. And we know that as that message is heard, and as others listen then they too are impregnated with hope and life and love --and so what if somebody comes and doesn't speak about it perfectly and mis-applies a metaphor or two. Why should we not just do like the bible says and if we see our brother sinning, not sin that leads to death, there is sin that leads to death, I'm not addressing that, but if we do? We are commanded to ASK GOD for them (and He gives life). Just like we routinely ask God for ourselves. Just fly up a quick prayer. It's so easy. And He gives life (upon our asking) -- it's like a guarantee given to the Body of Christ and I think it's something that increases our JOY - asking in faith is also so much easier than debate, or avoiding debate so carefully even as I see you guys doing so well...

"Father, forgive them."

Them there are Christ-Words in us and coming out of us! And(!) We know that if we ask according to HIS WILL??? Then we have all that we petition of Him. Who here can say, "My every prayer is answered?" <---- but that's what we are supposed to do and that is our calling. So when I say, "levan" is put in, and it's not perfect because I can't even spell it right? Just ask. It's okay. God loves us more than we do. But we will learn to love us more and more.

Okay, I'm gonna try to quiet my fluttering little bird heart and let you guys go with Peace and Thanksgiving in Our hearts! I know that's exactly what you want too, just like I know that I am praying according to His Will for His blessing here.

And that, my friends, was me. Interjecting a bit of leaven into this conversation. But in truth, this stuff is NOT leaven. It's salt. It's Col 4:6 salt -- and it's your grace toward me that lets me feel confident that you know what I mean even when I don't speak all that well.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back