Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Meat = Cancer. Maybe?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

starbyfar

By Sue Mueller - foodconsumer.org

There is a lot of talking about the recurrence of cancer in Elizabeth Edwards, wife of presidential candidate John Edwards, and Tony Snow, the White House press secretary. Edwards suffers from breast cancer which has now spread to the bones and Snow is fighting against colon cancer that has spread to the liver.

Much of the talking is about how people respond to the news. One key question has not been touched, that is, why we have a high incidence of cancer in the country.

The cancer risk is real and not so far from you and me no matter you have a family history of the disease or not. Nearly 50 percent of men and 35 percent of women in the U.S. are expected to develop one cancer or another in their life time. Indeed, cancer is so common that it has become the number one killer in the country.

How could so many people get cancer nowadays? No doctors know or would tell you exactly what cause a specific cancer, breast cancer or colon cancer although many possible risk factors are known for certain cancers. It is generally agreed that cancer is a disease of lifestyle although some “experts†keep publishing research articles telling people that cancer is associated with this or that gene, indicating that you should not fight to resist your fate as the disease is originated from your genetics.

Dr. T. Colin Campbell, a nutrition professor from Cornell University says in his book titled “The China Study†that the role the genetics play in cancer development may not exceed 3 percent of the total risk. Even if you have a faulty gene, the risk does not have to manifest when a good diet is used. He cites his “China Study†saying that diet is the major factor influencing the cancer risk.

According to Dr. Campbell, meat consumption can be a big risk for cancer such as breast cancer. High intake of meat (protein and fat) promotes early puberty and later menopause. He says in his book that in China girls enter puberty at age 15 to 18 compared to 9 to 12 in the U.S. This difference results in a huge difference in the hormone exposure, that is, American women are exposed to estrogen for ten to 15 more years than the Chinese women.

Estrogen is a known risk for breast cancer. Elizabeth Edwards gave birth to her youngest child at about 50, indicating that she is likely exposed to high levels of hormones at that age or even a few years afterwards, which is a real risk although other risk factors may also play a role.

Another risk is that American people do not eat as much fruits and vegetables as needed. One of consequences is that a meaty diet without much plant foods is more likely to make your body acidic, which is promoting cancer growth. According to some unsubstantiated source, 85% of cancer patients have an acidic pH. A friend of this writer suffered from breast cancer and she has her pH at 5.0. The normal pH should be about 7.35.

Of course, many other factors may be also responsible for the high risk of cancer in the country. In the developed country, more medical radiation is used than the developing country. Ionizing radiations such as x-ray are a known cancer causing agent although the medical circle downplays the risk of radiation. John Gofman, MD and Ph.D., a prominent nuclear scientist and physician, retired from the University of California at Los Angeles believes that radiation may play a role in 75 percent of breast cancer cases.

One can’t expect to reduce the cancer risk to zero. But he can reduce it significantly just following a healthy diet and lifestyle.

If I were Tony Snow or Elizabeth Edwards, the first thing I would do is quit eating meat and dairy products and increase consumption of plant foods particularly those with high fiber and minerals. The next thing to do is avoid further damage from conventional treatments, that is, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, which would do more harm than good at this stage for both Snow and Edwards in my point of view. I would also take high doses of omega 3 fatty acids, particularly DHA and use no vegetable oils, particularly corn oil and soybean oil. Also I would do some detoxification to cleanse my body so that the toxins would not have a chance to further damage my body.

http://foodconsumer.org/7777/8888/C_anc ... risk.shtml

I think that when we want to watch what to eat, then biblical advice is best. While too much meat (and not enough fruits/vegetables) may unbalance things, I don't so much as believe its the meat per se as much as it is the type of meat, how it's prepared and the fact that meats today have additives in by man. In other words, given the right type (aka 'clean meats'), prepared correctly (lean and bloodless for example) and without all the antibiotics in them :crazyeyes: I think it's OK to have meat.

Medical science has also cast a negative view on salt, for instance, when salt is not really bad for you, even in the dosages that many people get. But I will admit that something like sea salt is better than the man-modified iodized salt. In other words, anything that man has to modify is where the problem is often at.

I give thanks over everything I eat, so I am safe from the danger of any foods. Also, when God determines my time on earth is done, I will be leaving via death.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:6-8

1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. Romans 14:1-8

Solo said:
I give thanks over everything I eat, so I am safe from the danger of any foods. Also, when God determines my time on earth is done, I will be leaving via death.

solo no one said YOU can't eat your meat. but why refuse to educate yourself on the dangers of certain foods, especially those that have strong links to health problems? Of course God knows, not necesserily chooses in my opinion, when your time on earth is done, but does that mean you have to expedite it? I've heard people use this same excuse for smoking. we read these things and heed the warnings because it imparative that we make wise choices, not push it aside assuming that because we say a blessing over our food it changes the poor way it was handled/processed/cooked. the bible speaks on gorging ourselves or overeating meat and i think that if you still choose to eat meat, just be careful and do your research because the stuff they inject into the animals before slaughter and all the perservatives/fillers/water.. that stuff will put you in the hospital before your time!

Proverbs 23:20-21 "Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Solo said:

Solo - If God knows when you are going to die - then why are you still eating? If God has appointed the time that you are going to die, then nothing you do or don't do will impact that. So, stop eating. If you are not going to die for 10 more years, then God will sustain you till then. Right?

I don't think it's a matter of extending one's life but a matter of living more comfortably without ailment while we're here.
If I chose not to eat something to forego a risk then even though I die at the appointed time I didn't live life under the grip of cancer that may have been due to eating something I shouldn't have.

:smt102

PotLuck said:
I don't think it's a matter of extending one's life but a matter of living more comfortably without ailment while we're here.
If I chose not to eat something to forego a risk then even though I die at the appointed time I didn't live life under the grip of cancer that may have been due to eating something I shouldn't have.

:smt102

beautifully said.

So far in my short search of foods that cause cancer or have agents that cause cancer, I have come up with a list of items that one should not eat:

Solo said:
So far in my short search of foods that cause cancer or have agents that cause cancer, I have come up with a list of items that one should not eat:

I think this is a good list of things to avoid. From my personal experience, I suspect that aspartame and similiar substances causes heartburn in me. This is a prime example where the medical establishment says that salt is bad.... eggs are bad....meat is bad.... etc. but one does not hear anything about artificial ingredients. Then..... when people, including Christians, do not pay attention to the bible they go along with what the "experts" say and take these things in...... then a little while later they request to be put on a prayer chain for God to heal them from cancer.... :o i think we can see where I'm coming from.......

In other words do not eat anything unless you grow it yourself watered only by rainfall that is clean of airborne carcinogens.

I'll take my chances.
Please pass the steak sauce and ketchup for my french fries.

8-)

I dunno Solo. I suppose I'm fortunate in that I've not been to a doc in 28 years except employment and insurance physicals (at 26 I had all my teeth out). I've had no back problems, no stomach or digestive problems, no foot or leg problems... other than a cold here and there I've had nothing to complain about. I'm 5'10 1/2" tall, 150 lbs., my blood pressure is below the normal for my age, cholesterol is lower and I eat whatever I want. Mostly I eat to get rid of the pain since I think eating and sleeping are a waste of time anyway. (I do well on 6 hours sleep).
I've outlived 4 of my better friends (Jack died three weeks ago of heart attack at age 53), all of my grandparents, my dad, 3 of my uncles, 2 of my aunts, 2 cousins, one step brother and about 15 dogs and a bunch of cats. And I have most of my hair... the front's a bit thin... well, not there at all for a couple inches anyway. And it has this nasty tendency to to go everywhere like I'm full of static or something.
I've been bred and raised on red meat, eggs, bacon, chicken and whole milk. When my grandfather was alive he had a dairy farm and a lot of our food stuff came from there when I was a kid. People would freak out today if they heard anyone raising their kids on the diet I was raised on.

Ok, now that I've said that I'll probably get hit by a bus on the way to work tomorrow. Or a health food delivery truck. :-D

PotLuck said:
I dunno Solo. I suppose I'm fortunate in that I've not been to a doc in 28 years except employment and insurance physicals (at 26 I had all my teeth out). I've had no back problems, no stomach or digestive problems, no foot or leg problems... other than a cold here and there I've had nothing to complain about. I'm 5'10 1/2" tall, 150 lbs., my blood pressure is below the normal for my age, cholesterol is lower and I eat whatever I want. Mostly I eat to get rid of the pain since I think eating and sleeping are a waste of time anyway. (I do well on 6 hours sleep).
I've outlived 4 of my better friends (Jack died three weeks ago of heart attack at age 53), all of my grandparents, my dad, 3 of my uncles, 2 of my aunts, 2 cousins, one step brother and about 15 dogs and a bunch of cats. And I have most of my hair... the front's a bit thin... well, not there at all for a couple inches anyway. And it has this nasty tendency to to go everywhere like I'm full of static or something.
I've been bred and raised on red meat, eggs, bacon, chicken and whole milk. When my grandfather was alive he had a dairy farm and a lot of our food stuff came from there when I was a kid. People would freak out today if they heard anyone raising their kids on the diet I was raised on.

Ok, now that I've said that I'll probably get hit by a bus on the way to work tomorrow. Or a health food delivery truck. :-D
Great testimony!!!

And if you get hit by a food delivery truck, you will be in a much better place for eternity, so as Alfred E. Neuman would say:

Alfred.jpg

..............................................................."What, me worry?"

tim_from_pa said:
Then..... when people, including Christians, do not pay attention to the bible they go along with what the "experts" say and take these things in...... then a little while later they request to be put on a prayer chain for God to heal them from cancer.... :o i think we can see where I'm coming from.......

Isn't this the absolute truth? We as Christians will eat anything that crawls while ignoring the health mandates of the Bible because we seem to think that God only gives arbitrary laws for no reason (and some Christians will sanctify smoking through this same reasoning), and then when we get cancer from our lifestyle, we end up begging God to heal us.

What audacity we sometimes have!

The medical establishement has been wrong (and is wrong) on so many things concerning nutrition. What is wrong with our diet isn't 'fat' 'carbohydrates' and 'food with cholesterol'. What is causing cancer and killing us are processed foods, steroids, chemicals, sugar, artificial sweetening and tocins in the food we eat mostly from man made materials.

Doctors would tell you that 'too much fat' and 'cholestorol' will kill you. Show me the stats comparing the French and Japanese to that of North Americans. Fat and carbs galore in their diets but you don't see obesity, cancer and heart disease like you do over here.

Now why is that?

Instead of resorting to a natural diet to fight cancer, they will pump you full of drugs like Vioxx that has killed more people than any other drug, or chemotherapy which is complete poison.

Let me give you a personal example of how some doctors view it.

A friend of my families got cancer. He was losing circulation in his legs and his foot turned BLACK. My dad who was doing a lot of research into natural cancer therapies used cabbage leaves and wrapped them around his foot. After a week two of his toes where PINK again. The nurses couldn't believe it.

However, the doctor freaked out, got angry and told them to remove it saying 'We don't do that stuff here'. Not long after they had to amputate his leg below the knee. He was in so much pain due to it that he had enough morphine in him to kill a natural man.

He died from his cancer not long after.

That's our medical establishment, folks. Unless it can be patented and sold as drugs, it is considered 'hooey'

Well, there are quite a few natural remedies that have worked long before our medical technology became what it is today. People didn't just up and die because there was no Crestor to balance their cholesterol.

The pharmaceutical companies have the general public convinced their way is the only way.
How many drug ads I see on TV to ask your doctor about this and about that. Then they tack an acronym on every ailment under the sun to make it sound medical or scientific. Kinda like the PC of the medical world.

If I was a backwoodsman came to town for the very first time and saw all the ads, paid programming, flyers and commercials for drugs he'd have to think the public is absolutely messed up beyond hope and all will die of one thing or another next week if not sooner.

Sometimes I think this concentrated focus on drugs and doctors has become a religion of it's own.

Vitamins now in question.
Vitamins bad? Certain types?
Some researchers say yes and others say no.

BBC - Monday, 9 April 2007

Vitamins 'could shorten lifespan'

Taking certain vitamin supplements may adversely affect people's lifespan, researchers have suggested.

Millions worldwide use antioxidant supplements such as vitamins A and E, and beta-carotene.

Looking at dozens of previous studies, Copenhagen University researchers suggested these appeared to raise, not lower, the risk of early death.

A supplements industry expert said the Journal of the American Medical Association study was fatally flawed.

But nutritionists said it reinforced the need to eat a balanced diet, rather than relying on supplements.

While vitamin supplements have been popular for decades, the precise benefits they offer - if any - remain uncertain, despite hundreds of research projects.

More recent theories suggest that certain vitamins consumed as part of a healthy diet - and perhaps taken in supplement form - may be able to prevent damage to the body's tissues called 'oxidative stress' by eliminating the molecules called 'free radicals' which are said to cause it.

This damage has been implicated in several major diseases including cancer and heart disease, yet the implication that vitamin supplements might protect people from these illnesses is controversial.

More at the link

Vitamins 'increase cholesterol'

Vitamins could actually increase levels of "bad cholesterol", researchers have suggested.

It had been thought that vitamins could protect the heart.

But New York University researchers found vitamins including E, C and beta carotene stop the liver breaking down an early form of bad cholesterol.

Writing in the Journal of Clinical Investigation, the researchers say their findings mean they cannot recommend that people use the vitamins.
more at the link

--------------

wheel.jpg

PotLuck said:
How many drug ads I see on TV to ask your doctor about this and about that. Then they tack an acronym on every ailment under the sun to make it sound medical or scientific. Kinda like the PC of the medical world.

Yes, you have to love those drug commercials:

"Take Zarex to lower your cholesterol. Side effects may include nausea, cramps, headaches, numbness in the fingers, liver failure, blood clots, ulcers, brain damage and gender transformation"

Who hoo! I got my cholesterol lowered but now I have 15 other problems...and breasts.

I despise those drug commercials. One actually claimed one possible side effent was death!!! Remember, these people are in the business of... making mo' money!

A friend of my families got cancer. He was losing circulation in his legs and his foot turned BLACK. My dad who was doing a lot of research into natural cancer therapies used cabbage leaves and wrapped them around his foot. After a week two of his toes where PINK again. The nurses couldn't believe it.
Hey Gui, guess what? If they were the green cabbage leaves, they contained small amounts of sodium nitrates! Here's the scoop from wikipedia:

Sodium nitrate also has antimicrobial properties when used as a food preservative. It is found naturally in leafy green vegetables. It has possible health benefits for increasing oxygen to blood,[citation needed] as well as known health side effects in particular at high doses. Side effects may include increased risk of cancer (if intake occurs together with proteins, which builds carcinogenic nitrosamines),
Like my grand daddy used to say, everything in moderation.

I myself, have been taking a closer look at what and how I eat. I switched over to Stoneyfield's all natural products. I "love" their yogurts and their milk. Also, it looks like Burger King and McDonalds are jumping on the bandwagon; they are offering "free range" products that they claim will have no harmones or antibiotics.

Hey, I've been known to have a bowl of Cheerios with a sliced banana in it... for supper. LOL I know, I'm weird. 8-)

Back