Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

military?

H

humbleservant

Is it christian like to join the military? and why? what would jesus do?

There is nothing wrong with a Christian joining the military, in my opinion. We need Christians in the military just like we need them in other areas of life. We are to be salt and light, and I know personally that Christians make an impact on those with whom they serve in the armed forces.

Jesus would not have joined because it was not God's will, so that question isn't as directly relevant right here. However, if God had told him to do it, then Jesus would ahve obeyed. Likewise, we should.

humbleservant said:
Is it christian like to join the military? and why? what would jesus do?

Allow me to flip your question around.

Why shouldnt Christians join the military?

Risk of death? Because man knows not the hour , regardless of where he may be on Earth.

Hostile work environment? I speak from experience when I say id rather deal with risk of enemy fire than a standard, boring, ruthless civilian work environment infested with blatant deception,rampant greed and sexual sin.

A Christian should feel no shame in joining the service. I enlisted in the USAF in August, because among other reasons I do not have the patience to deal with the modern corporate workplace.The path to advancement in most companies today involves a sad combination of deception, backstabbing and greed. If youre not with the program, theres the unemployment line.

So I voted with my feet, and am looking forward to starting new in December when I ship out for BMT.

At no point in all of this, do my actions cross the scriptures or Jesus' word.

Hostile work environment? I speak from experience when I say id rather deal with risk of enemy fire than a standard, boring, ruthless civilian work environment infested with blatant deception,rampant greed and sexual sin.

A Christian should feel no shame in joining the service. I enlisted in the USAF in August, because among other reasons I do not have the patience to deal with the modern corporate workplace.The path to advancement in most companies today involves a sad combination of deception, backstabbing and greed. If youre not with the program, theres the unemployment line.

amen to that, i as a vet know that , in combat you know who and what the enemy is.

I served in the USMC back in the 80/s before I was saved~~I couldn't do it now nor recommend it to the younger folks in our congregation. The teaching "you cannot serve two masters" goes beyond God and mammon, it also deals with nationalism...I wouldn't recommend it to brothers and sisters in Canada, Nigeria, nor Russia either..the Church has a mission and it doesn't need to be divided into national fight clubs. Think about it~~every nation thinks it is proper for its citizens to fight for it; there is nothing more common in the world than that..whether a little village in the Amazon or the mighty Roman Empire. Not a popular stance, but then there generally isn't much popular about what Christ taught...

Heb 13:13 –Heb 13:14 NKJV
Therefore let us go forth to Him, outside the camp, bearing His reproach. For here we have no continuing city, but we seek the one to come.

I know several Christians who are in the military and they're some of the best Christians I know, but I suppose there's a conflict when it comes time to kill enemy troops.

I would disagree.

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

That's in Ecclesiastes, chapter 3:3. I dont post that to advocate indisciminate killing or terror, but heres the sad facts-we live in a world that , in a lot of places and cultures, doesn't respect life or freedom.

Of that group, there are a few who not only dont respect freedom or human life, but seek to spread their viewpoint at the expense of the security of this country , and debatably common decency.The Taliban, to use an example, don't respect this nation , and have demonstrated intent to harm our country.They are not subject to any governmental law , and they'd rather die than either surrender, change their perspective, or even cease their terrorist tactics. That doesn't leave us much option except to drop some JDAMs.

If we dont pursue men who harm us because we dont want to deal with a moral dilemma, then all we do is move the scene of combat from the bad guys backyard , to our own.If I have a man in my sights who is an enemy combatant, who would rather be on the battlefield killing my brothers and sisters in arms instead of a million other constructive or positive uses for his life, he has chosen to fight, and therefore is subject to a bullet in the forehead. Such is the ugly nature of life in a fallen world.

Let us not forget-what happened to the prophets of Baal in the old testament?They weren't arrested and tried in the Hague, thats for sure. ;)

I believe in order to join the military:
1. I would have to believe in the cause being fought for
Not every project the government takes on, is necessarily what I would approve of.
2. If I was to join the military. I would expect to have to kill someone. That is the harsh reality of the job.
3. Joining of one's own volition...and being drafted, are two different things. I myself, am not much for the macho life...so I would probably choose something more civilian.
4. I would expect to live with some trauma from the nature of the job. Even if I survived, I would expect some serious bad nightmares from it...and emotional after effects.
5. I consider joining the military (of one's own choice), something like being a police officer. I don't think everyone is cut out, qualified (emotionally and physically), or even called of God, to do this type of work.
Are there causes to join the military for? Definitely. We wouldn't be around today if we hadn't joined forces in the second world war.
Are there countries we should help with military action? Yes, I am sure. The problem is sometimes, I don't know if it is really to help them or perpetuate the governments own interests. It's a touchy position once a person has committed themselves and they are now trapped in a contract (which they may not agree with, and want out of).
For me. I probably wouldn't. For whoever out there, that has carefully weighed the costs...and perhaps rewards...then they are making a "brave decision"...If, the cause is right...otherwise, I would hate to see them acting as mercenaries for the American government.
It's a very important decision, that should be advised from those that have been through it, not just your local recruiter. It can be, not only be life changing... but life ending.

The military's job is to protect a country's citizens, and I believe that every country has the right to protect its citizens. I think it would be terrible to have a group of completely non-Christians guarding our homeland security! We've got to have Christians in the armed forces, as with any other branch of life.

On the one hand, defending yourself/family/country is critical and must be done. On the other, "Lay down your sword" and "Love your enemy". It's a tough one.

Here's my sentiment in the matter... (I'll be enlisting this Spring once I finish with my degree)

Someone has got to do it. It is selfish of me to expect someone else to do it for me. God doesn't want me to be selfish. I allow some selfishness because there is no chance of me running into a burning building but I can deal with bullets and explosions.

Besides that the only way you can make a defense of non-military involvement for a Christian (from a Biblical POV) is to completely ignore the Old Testament. I am fond the the OT so I'll keep in keeping on.

Maybe this can help you

http://www.minuteswithmessiah.com/question/military.html

Back