Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Mother faces charges on allowing her 5-year-old to burn on a tanning bed

tim-from-pa

I did not know whether to put this in the health section, or news and events as it is not so much about health as much as government control in the name of health.

People already heard me rant about the "stay out of the sun myth", so I need not comment on that. In this case, the issue is about tanning beds.

But as one reads the article, keep these thoughts in mind (they go through mine if one is perceptive enough):

1) People are all up in arms about some over-baked mother burning the kid in a tanning bed. But that is not the case according to her. The kid simply had a sunburn playing while mommy was tanning. So, the first point is the blatant media and governmental lying to switch the subject for some ulterior motive (in this case, tanning salons) --- it was opportunistic.
2) This is more government control trying to take parents' rights away making decisions about the health of the child, even if a parent wants their kid tanned (seriously, you think a tanning salon is going to deliberately burn a kid?).
3) Let's now extrapolate. Will that police, er I mean NJ state eventually ban children playing in the sun?

I expect the beast to appear any day down. No kidding.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57429306/advocates-want-to-ban-minors-from-tanning-salons/

I heard about this.

I wish I could say that I can't believe they would discuss taking a child away from a parent due to a sunburn.. but, sadly, I do believe it.

To be honest, I don't think minors should be allowed to use the booths, I think they are unhealthy...

I do share you "rant" about the whole "stay out of the sun" myth... sunshine is healthy. :yes

But yes, we live in a world where a child getting a sunburn is "child endangerment".

Don't get me started on taking children from homes and placing them in foster care due to obesity... :wall

Patricia_Krentcil_244x183.jpg

Patricia Krentcil
(Credit: CBS/WCBS)
(CBS/AP) NEWARK, N.J. - Patricia Krentcil, the deeply-tanned New Jersey mother accused of causing skin burns to her six-year-old daughter by taking her into a tanning booth, has reportedly been banned from at least 63 tanning salons in the tri-state area.
Pictures: NJ mom accused of putting 6-year-old in tanning booth
The New York Post reports that some salons have taken extra precautions and have placed "wanted" posters behind their counters informing employees to keep her off the premises.
"We don't tan people like that," manager Nicole Simon of Body Works in Garfield, NJ told the paper.
Krentcil has said she loves tanning but wouldn't - and didn't - take her then-5-year-old into a tanning booth. Krentcil pleaded not guilty last week to a child endangerment charge. She says her daughter got sunburned outdoors.
"I'm innocent and it's proven... I would never -- never -- put my daughter in a tanning booth. We go out shopping. That's what we do," Krentcil told TMZ on last week as she was entering a car. "Any mother that makes an accusation about me is not a mother, because I'm a great mother and I would never do that to my child."
When asked by a TMZ reporter if she considered the case to be a witch hunt, Krentcil replied: "Yes. Yes. There's somebody out there on my whole life that doesn't like me because they're jealous, they're fat and they're ugly."
Police in Nutley told The Nutley Sun newspaper they were called to the child's school April 24 because the kindergartner was in pain from a "pretty severe sunburn." In an interview, Krentcil told The Associated Press that her daughter, who was five at the time of the alleged incident in mid-April and has since turned six, got sunburned by being outside on an unseasonably warm day. She said her daughter, however, had mentioned to officials when she complained of itching that she had been to a tanning salon with her mother.
The owner of City Tropics Salon in Nutley said employees who were there that day told him the girl remained outside with her father and brother. She didn't go into the tanning booth while Krentcil was inside. New Jersey state law bars anyone under 14 from using a tanning salon.
Krentcil, whose skin has a deep bronze color from regular visits to the tanning salon, is scheduled to make her next court appearance on Friday. The state's child welfare agency is monitoring the family.

I just can't figure out why this woman was even charged with a crime when the employees verified that the little girl didn't go into the booth?

Now you know why I am upset over this, Handy. You hit the nail on the head. As I stated in #1, it was opportunistic to take the (unfortunate) sunburn situation and then apply it to tanning parlors when they have nothing to do with this. They "used" this woman and child to get at a legit business. The legal system has totally gone mad by disregarding the evidence and turning it into an unrelated emotional issue.

As a people what should we do about this? Start writing our congressmen and women when the bureaucracies get out of control to push their agenda.

... and I reckon some lawyer even now, if it is proved that the lady did nothing wrong after all, is waiting to sue the state of New Jersey big time, for emotional distress, defamation, and I don't know what else.

A New Jersey lawyer, that is.

But someone somewhere might also figure that Federal law might be invoked. Constitutional rights, etc. Maybe some foundation that sits on a trust fund, like the one that funded John Edwards (and I'm not going to comment about him).

(Meanwhile, the six-year old just needs to go back to kindergarten in contentment.)

(Meanwhile, the six-year old just needs to go back to kindergarten in contentment.)

You're right, but how can she with the "school police" and similar government rats are ready to pounce on every kid's parents for "abuse" and trying to meddle with the family life? I don't understand why they think they are the example of proper child-rearing we must all succumb to. And I'll bet their own family life, and marital fidelity has much to be desired, but they are going to tell another how to run their own house and raise a kid.

Guys if my mother was brought up on charges for every sunburn I got then she'd have been in court seemingly 24/7!

Back