Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

My wife bought me a Rolex.

Recently my wife bought me a Rolex.

We both came from humble beginnings. She grew up in social care and I am the son of an abusive alcoholic who made me homeless.

Early in our relationship we struggled but over time we both found work. Got degrees and now have careers. God has been with us though all our struggles and blessed us.

However, my wife got a bonus at work and wanted to surprise me. She did this by purchasing a Rolex watch as a gift for me. It’s lovely looking and the fact she bought this for me made her pleased with herself as it was a symbol of how far we have come and I am grateful as it is a token of her love.

But I am not used to having something so expensive. I feel guilt for possessing something so extravagant. I am yet to even wear it out as I can’t imagine anything other than selling it if life get tough again and we need the money.

Brothers and sisters, what does the bible teach about having expensive things? Should I feel guilty? Should I keep it?

Thank you & God bless.

We both came from humble beginnings. She grew up in social care and I am the son of an abusive alcoholic who made me homeless.

Early in our relationship we struggled but over time we both found work. Got degrees and now have careers. God has been with us though all our struggles and blessed us.

However, my wife got a bonus at work and wanted to surprise me. She did this by purchasing a Rolex watch as a gift for me. It’s lovely looking and the fact she bought this for me made her pleased with herself as it was a symbol of how far we have come and I am grateful as it is a token of her love.

But I am not used to having something so expensive. I feel guilt for possessing something so extravagant. I am yet to even wear it out as I can’t imagine anything other than selling it if life get tough again and we need the money.

Brothers and sisters, what does the bible teach about having expensive things? Should I feel guilty? Should I keep it?

Thank you & God bless.
How would you feel if your wife rejected "a token of love" you gave her ?

Tough one. How do you tell someone that their gift is vanity, maybe even embarrassing in your eyes. You know her, we don't. She probably already realizes the mistake. Let her see that your admiration for her is focused on her and not the gift.

It's an expensive gift, but given out of love for you. Jesus never said we could not have nice things, but to not make them an idol before Him. Accept her gift and wear it as a sign of her love for you.

BTW, welcome to CF :wave2

william8585 You might consider buying her a 24k golden thong. You could even have date night out. You wearing her gift to you and her wearing your gift to her.

Of course I'm only kidding. You're not obligated to wear the rolex nor to wear it as a token of your feelings for her. If she doesn't understand that, then she should. I bet she understands that though. Let the focus of your admiration be on her. If she doesn't already understand then she'll figure it out don't you think?

Hi William,
Like yourself, I grew up poor. I recall praying that I just wanted to have enough money to pay rent and utilities and enough left over to fix the car when it broke down.

Congratulations to the two of you for succeeding in financial wealth. Be proud of where you’ve come from. Don’t be ashamed and don’t live in fear. Use the watch as a testimony to Gods goodness and living responsibly as his word instructs us. In short, learn to be thankful, but more importantly, be thankful God has brought you a loving wife.

Thank you & God bless.
I don't think Scripture differentiates between expensive vs inexpensive. Did Jesus care about how valuable the fragrant oil was when the woman poured it upon Him?

6 And when Jesus was in Bethany at the house of Simon the leper,
7 a woman came to Him having an alabaster flask of very costly fragrant oil, and she poured it on His head as He sat at the table.
8 But when His disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, “Why this waste?
9 For this fragrant oil might have been sold for much and given to the poor.”
10 But when Jesus was aware of it, He said to them,
“Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a good work for Me.
11 For you have the poor with you always, but Me you do not have always.
12 For in pouring this fragrant oil on My body, she did it for My burial."

Matthew 26:6-12 NKJV

The value of an object is in the eye of the beholder. It is only worth what someone else is willing to give for it, whether that is in money, time, or whatever. Why is a diamond so valuable? Because it is not too abundant and a majority of people think it is pretty and for that reason they desire it. They desire it so much that they are willing to do more for it and in some cases go to great lengths to get it, even to the point of murder. As a result, diamonds have great value. Supply and demand. If diamonds were as numerous as sand, they would be worthless.

Does it matter if I own a new car vs and older one? If older, where is that line? Some older vehicles have more value than new ones? I think the real question is, do I value the watch more than God or others or do I value the love that it represents?

Thank you & God bless.
A very warm welcome to our Forum, William.

The watch was given in love....wear it in love.

Blessings.

Jumping in…

Status symbols make some people uncomfortable. Others must have them. Many predictably are between those extremes.

I’d advise you to wear it for your wife’s sake. Long struggle to where you two are now and she thinks this is a good way of announcing both her devotion to you and her hard earned status.

A married man has a duty to his wife.

It is good to come from humble beginnings while seeking God. Given a man is married, he has duties to his wife. One of those duties may be providing, and making her happy. Rejecting a gift may be rough.

Thank you & God bless.
Just tell that story to whoever notices or comments on your wife's gift.

(If you aren't going to wear it, will you send it to me for a week so I can wear it ?
It will be a big hit at the McDonalds I frequent.) :biggrin2

Thank you & God bless.

It was a selfless gift from your wife. Nothing you need to feel guilty about. Enjoy your new watch.

Thank you & God bless.
Hey All,
Do we have a right to tell someone, your wife in this case, how much they can love us?

It's a gift.
Accept it graciously.
Wear it proudly.

And whatever you do, do not get her a toaster oven when its your turn to buy her something nice.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

If you were both raised broke and in struggles and together got on your feet and are doing well for yourselves and out of self-less your wife gets you a nice gift, that's good. I'm really happy for you both. Don't feel guilty about nothing. Enjoy.

You can have nice things and be content and humble.

Last edited:
Back