Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Nationalism As a Religion

lesjude

Nationalism, just as religion has its fathers of the 'faith', its 'sacred' writings, symbols, its creeds and oaths of allegiance, songs/hymns of praise, it's shrines, its heroes of the 'faith' and martyrs, defenders of the 'faith', the crime of treason/heresy, requirements/demands for sacrifice and service, and financial obligations. Nations grant 'absolution' for acts done to defend it that other wise would be crimes. It has willing followers who pledge their lives, fortunes, sacred honor, and families to defend it. It has rewards for service, ideals and goals that unite believers, and offers an identity that transcends self for the perceived common good.
When a Christian worships at the altar of nationalism/patriotism he is simply bowing down to another religion just as Nebuchadnezzer required.
Christians worship at this altar when they send their sons and daughters off to fight, kill, be maimed and die in its carnal wars, allow their children to be brain washed by the propaganda of US history, engage in the uncleanness of partisan politics, swear oaths to serve it, and pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth that is the symbol of a nation that has done at least as much evil as good in the world, as well as within its own borders.
Shadrach, Meshack, and Abed-Nego understood this and so refused to bow down. They knew what kingdom they were citizens of just as Daniel did, and the true nature of ALL earthly kingdoms. Christians do not seem to know this and pay a very high price because they do not.
First it is pledging allegiance to something that as Christians we cannot support and is a lie. This nation is not under God in the sense it obeys Him, there is NOT liberty and justice for all, and that God's name is Jesus.
Here is what a believer should do for the nation he is in:

1 Timothy 2:1-3 New King James Version (NKJV)

2 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
Please be aware that Nero was killing Christians by the 100's when this and Romans 13:1-10 were written.

Romans 13:1-7

New King James Version (NKJV)

Submit to Government

13 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.

Last edited by a moderator:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag

of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

AMEN

:salute:thumbsup:salute

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

AMEN

:salute:thumbsup:salute

we recite that at the royal explorers, oh its evil raising disruptive boys to be good christians citizens. yup pure satanic.

I've read this thread. I happen to be in Canada. I'm a bit confused.

It's a condemnation of the stereotypical American. But don't fret, I'm sure you love Canadia and all its ice, so you are included in the condemnation that be set forth.

there are three pledges the royal explorers recite. the pledge of allegiance, the plegde to bible, and the pledge to the christian flag. the kids will rush to one of these. must be that indoctrination of satan. my step-grandson misses the days he cant go and today was one of them. he loves what we do with them.

its my hope that one day when and if the lord doesnt come back to redeem the earth. that one of them will lead the way and train up others as most of these come from broken homes.

It's a condemnation of the stereotypical American. But don't fret, I'm sure you love Canadia and all its ice, so you are included in the condemnation that be set forth.

P.

Still a bit confused actually.

Some churches do AWANA, which can be good, no doubt. It seems that the AWANA method includes a flag pledge. Up here the Maple Leaf is undoubtedly the national emblem. But in the 1960s when it was introduced, some people preferred the old Red Ensign flag instead. The Union flag was also widely used. In fact, some of the provinces (Ontario, Manitoba) still have flags which are derived from the Red Ensign. Though also in Quebec some people refer to the blue and white 'fleurdelisé' flag as the national flag (although the Quebec Anglophones might be more likely to prefer the Maple Leaf? I'm not sure.) Actually, the Francophones of the other Canadian provinces have their own flags in the different Provinces and northern Territories.

I understand that some people want to use methods and programs such as the AWANA and others since it incorporates a flag pledge. Although in some jurisdictions it's not always obvious which flag would be preferred, or, to put it more bluntly, which flag would give the least offence.

I do wonder therefore, since it would sometimes be hard to figure exactly which flag to use, why in theory the flag pledge needs to be thought of as being so central to teaching Biblical Christianity.

Now I get it.

No, Jason is referring to a group much like Boy Scouts. I think he has the same group as we have, we both go to AG churches. In their group they start with the pledge, just like in school. At church the only thing we do is the doxology, although that differs from church to church.

And we just have one flag, unless you are from the south, in which case you may also fly the stars and bars, but thats more of an addition to, not in lieu of.

A worldly people take great pride in what part of the temporal world they come from. After all, they must identify with something!

I've read this thread. I happen to be in Canada. I'm a bit confused.
It is a little like the Canadians playing about 5 seconds of the old national anthem then starting the hockey game, which dates me, but was done at the arena in Gananoque, Ont.
Or the Brits who use the Union Jack as a rag to shine their boots.
Actually there is more to it than this but the above should help a little.

A worldly people take great pride in what part of the temporal world they come from. After all, they must identify with something!

A: No doubt this is true for some people, at a certain level. Fact is, within a jurisdiction, different people might identify with different things.

Now I get it.

No, Jason is referring to a group much like Boy Scouts. I think he has the same group as we have, we both go to AG churches. In their group they start with the pledge, just like in school. At church the only thing we do is the doxology, although that differs from church to church.

And we just have one flag, unless you are from the south, in which case you may also fly the stars and bars, but thats more of an addition to, not in lieu of.

P:

Umm...I think I might be a bit uncomfortable with the Stars and Bars. If I were American, that is. Or maybe I'm a bit uncomfortable with the Stars and Bars because I'm Canadian. Though maybe I don't really mean that the only reason I'm uncomfortable with the Stars and Bars is because I'm Canadian; maybe there are other reasons, as well.

Or maybe I'm not sure what I mean.

(See what I mean about making flag pledges central to teaching the Bible?)

Nationalism, just as religion has its fathers of the 'faith', its 'sacred' writings, symbols, its creeds and oaths of allegiance, songs/hymns of praise, it's shrines, its heroes of the 'faith' and martyrs, defenders of the 'faith', the crime of treason/heresy, requirements/demands for sacrifice and service, and financial obligations. Nations grant 'absolution' for acts done to defend it that other wise would be crimes. It has willing followers who pledge their lives, fortunes, sacred honor, and families to defend it. It has rewards for service, ideals and goals that unite believers, and offers an identity that transcends self for the perceived common good.
When a Christian worships at the altar of nationalism/patriotism he is simply bowing down to another religion just as Nebuchadnezzer required.
Christians worship at this altar when they send their sons and daughters off to fight, kill, be maimed and die in its carnal wars, allow their children to be brain washed by the propaganda of US history, engage in the uncleanness of partisan politics, swear oaths to serve it, and pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth that is the symbol of a nation that has done at least as much evil as good in the world, as well as within its own borders.
Shadrach, Meshack, and Abed-Nego understood this and so refused to bow down. They knew what kingdom they were citizens of just as Daniel did, and the true nature of ALL earthly kingdoms. Christians do not seem to know this and pay a very high price because they do not.
First it is pledging allegiance to something that as Christians we cannot support and is a lie. This nation is not under God in the sense it obeys Him, there is NOT liberty and justice for all, and that God's name is Jesus.
Here is what a believer should do for the nation he is in:

1 Timothy 2:1-3 New King James Version (NKJV)

2 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
Please be aware that Nero was killing Christians by the 100's when this and Romans 13:1-10 were written.

Romans 13:1-7

New King James Version (NKJV)

Submit to Government

13 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. 7 Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.
I am sorry for you you do not see the bondage you are in.

The stars and bars have nothing to do with the pledge. It's a symbol of freedom and state's rights.

Now I get it.

no i am church of god , not assembly of god but the program we used based on yours. and its close to the boy scouts. and the south doesnt use the stars and bars. my church is a most southern one and we have hunters etc. plenty of stars and bars fliers.

now then to the naysayers, my same church also hosted the mexican embassy so that mexicans can get legal jobs here in the us we were the ONLY ones to do that. there was mexican pastor in tears as he said we asked all churches and you were the only one to allow us. no we know that god is in this county. the pastor said the gospel is for all nations and he got a standing ovation as he did say that its not about borders as well!

The stars and bars have nothing to do with the pledge. It's a symbol of freedom and state's rights.

P:

Which state would you be referring to?

(I take your point that this has little to do with the pledge thing now.)

Back