Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

No Property Tax in Texas

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Knotical

Shepherd of the Knotical kid-farm
Today is the latest attempt by some to do away with property taxes in the state of Texas. What is interesting though is that even though there is not much said about this in the description of the proposition being voted on today this basically opens the door for a state income tax. While I would certainly like to see my mortgage payment go down, I am wary of what this will actually mean should the state institute an income tax.

Reactions: JLB
Today is the latest attempt by some to do away with property taxes in the state of Texas. What is interesting though is that even though there is not much said about this in the description of the proposition being voted on today this basically opens the door for a state income tax. While I would certainly like to see my mortgage payment go down, I am wary of what this will actually mean should the state institute an income tax.
Ad valorem is way ,way cheaper then amy income tax .

The tax district would have to use a sales tax , fees on utilities or if not utilities themselves to fund their areas.

No such thing as a free meal . Granted one could argue the above is fair in that you do truly own a house or property by not having ad valorem .

Oh, I know the money will have to come from somewhere. I think this has been attempted in the past with no success. There are plenty of people who rent and don't realize they are indirectly paying these same taxes.

Oh, I know the money will have to come from somewhere. I think this has been attempted in the past with no success. There are plenty of people who rent and don't realize they are indirectly paying these same taxes.
Yup and there rent won't go down simply because .

I just can't see any benefit to this .I pay at the most 600 a year in ad valorem .

What I have found interesting out here in West Texas is you have some small towns that have really nice schools that are pretty much paid for by oil companies. We all know the property taxes did not have much contribution.

What I have found interesting out here in West Texas is you have some small towns that have really nice schools that are pretty much paid for by oil companies. We all know the property taxes did not have much contribution.
Most parks I enjoy as of late are from a private non profit

I don't know how your state property taxes are collected but here in MN we make two payments. If all of our income taxes were also assessed on our property, those two payments would be quite large. The advantage I see with the income tax is that it spreads that expense out over the entire year rather than just two payments.

Here in Texas, as with some other states, you have two options. You can either save up throughout the year and make the annual payment in the spring, or you can have your mortgage company collect it monthly from you in smaller amounts and keep it in an escrow account. They will then make the payment when it is due. The unfortunate part of that is since our taxes have gone up every year since we moved here, our total payment to the mortgage company keeps going up.

Here in Texas, as with some other states, you have two options. You can either save up throughout the year and make the annual payment in the spring, or you can have your mortgage company collect it monthly from you in smaller amounts and keep it in an escrow account. They will then make the payment when it is due. The unfortunate part of that is since our taxes have gone up every year since we moved here, our total payment to the mortgage company keeps going up.
No better then Florida where they do the same but it's November and insurance has caused my escrow to go up.everyone gets a homestead exemption of their primary residence at 50 percent and veterans who are rated 100 pt pay no ad valorem

Whether its your mortgage payment or your annual tax payment going up, it's all the same.

I pay about 300 annually. I was wondering how schools would be funded. Yeah sales tax will go up. Ind8ana is thinking of getting rid of our income tax.....and basicly kick8ng out special needs children and adults from the state.

I pay about 300 annually. I was wondering how schools would be funded. Yeah sales tax will go up. Ind8ana is thinking of getting rid of our income tax.....and basicly kick8ng out special needs children and adults from the state.
Ad valorem doesn't honestly fund squat .they will ad mileage to build a school .irc they did this a decade ago when an elementary school .it sunsets once paid it full .

Total ad valorem I quoted for me includes all taxing districts.

Yeah, I bet that's exactly what they plan to do. Good grief!

Yeah, I bet that's exactly what they plan to do. Good grief!
Well, here in Indiana Holcomb has been working to el8minate the state income tax. One of the bills this year to ramp up to the elimination involved cutting large funds from state medicaid and Medicare programs. The programs getting hit the most is the funds for parents with special needs children, people that take care of elderly parents, and medicaid for children.

I knew it was comming because many of the private "non profits" that work with the elderly and special needs adults/children have had funding drying up. 2 of the largest in my area have been dumping formerly taken care of individuals into nursing homes on the verge of severe medical neglect and starvation.

Not that I am wanting the topic of this thread to suddenly take an abrupt turn, but the government was never supposed to provide welfare to anyone. That was the church's wheelhouse and ordained duty.

Well, here in Indiana Holcomb has been working to el8minate the state income tax. One of the bills this year to ramp up to the elimination involved cutting large funds from state medicaid and Medicare programs. The programs getting hit the most is the funds for parents with special needs children, people that take care of elderly parents, and medicaid for children.

I knew it was comming because many of the private "non profits" that work with the elderly and special needs adults/children have had funding drying up. 2 of the largest in my area have been dumping formerly taken care of individuals into nursing homes on the verge of severe medical neglect and starvation.
Regardless of which side is making a proposal, the opposition always paints the bleakest picture when the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Regardless of which side is making a proposal, the opposition always paints the bleakest picture when the truth is somewhere in the middle.
I'm giving you the middle answer. The Dems are barely present in Indiana outside Indianapolis. The extreme fear is medicaid is gone. I'm just pointing out that my state cut funds for people taking care of tge elderly and disabled to cut income tax.

Back