Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

"Noah" or "Noe" ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Bob777

Noah’s Old Testament Hebrew name in Genesis (whateverthat was), when translated into KJV English is “Noahâ€. Why then is Noah’s New Testament Greek namein Matthew 24:38, when translated into KJV English “Noeâ€, rather than “Noahâ€?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:tongue></o:tongue>

If Hebrew to English produces the English name "Noah", it seems as though Hebrew to Greek, and then Greek to English should alsoproduce the same English name “Noahâ€. But it does't seem to in Matthew 24:38. Anyone know why?

Thanks for any info on this.<o:tongue></o:tongue>

Bob<o:tongue></o:tongue>

It's just degradation of translation. There is nothing special to it. In Hebrew Jesus' name is Yeshua. In Greek it is something else and when translated to English it becomes Jesus. Now why, you ask, do people translate proper nouns? I have no clue. I'm more than willing to call people by their name. I know a guy named Juan, I don't translate it to John. My name is Ian and I don't wish people to translate that to John either.

It's a convention and nothing more. Good observation though!

That being said you do pronounce "Noah" and "Noe" the exact same. Transliteration is just a very funny thing because it is taking sounds in one language and making them sounds in another. Think about the various ways to spell common English words phonetically. I can spell "The" eight different ways phonetically and they would all end up with the same sound!

Hi Pard:

Wow...you did a really good job of explaining my question. Thank you so much.

I agree with your view on proper nouns.

I noticed tonight in Hebrews ll:7, the same Bible that spelled "Noe", this time in Hebrews 11:7 it spells Noahs name as "Noah", and not "Noe".

Looks like the translator wasn't consistent in the New Testament.

This is confusing...lol.

Thank you again for your kind help.

Bob

More likely the case is that two different people (at the very least) translated the New Testament of the KJV. The whole idea of a single person translating an entire Bible is both a) very daunting and b) generally not true. The exception is when only a single person translates the Bible (Really I can only think of Young). Usually it takes a HUGE team (look at the credits in the front of more modern translations).

And no problem for the help! Always glad to share :biggrin

though forgat..noach. that name is in a borrowed jewish to english translated to middle english from nachimedes that i have. jew of today call him noach as well.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back