Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Now this is some very interesting reading

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Lewis W said:
Check out where all the other uninspired books went or were not included.

http://www.arkedmin.org/Writings/Lessons/MissingBks.htm
This is no surprising to know today because only council of men, not God himself who does exist in His own way at all ages, decided on the 66 uncovered scriptures to be the only books that must be the composition of the bible. Truly and indeed, only God knows which from among these uncovered scriptures are really the ones that He commanded to be written, hence let us call on to God in the right way for us to know which are true and which are not from all these uncovered scriptures.

The 66 that we have make up the Bible because the Holy Ghost, was the guiding force behind it.

Lewis W wrote: The 66 that we have make up the Bible because the Holy Ghost, was the guiding force behind it.

Where was the guiding force for the previous thousand+ years while Christians were studying and following the writings considered inspired and profitable for doctrine, for instruction in righteousness? I remember two places in the Bible where it is recorded that the Word of God was lost:

2 Kings 22:10 And Shaphan the scribe shewed the king, saying, Hilkiah the priest hath delivered me a book. And Shaphan read it before the king.
11And it came to pass, when the king had heard the words of the book of the law, that he rent his clothes.
12And the king commanded Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam the son of Shaphan, and Achbor the son of Michaiah, and Shaphan the scribe, and Asahiah a servant of the king's, saying,
13Go ye, enquire of the LORD for me, and for the people, and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that is found: for great is the wrath of the LORD that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not hearkened unto the words of this book, to do according unto all that which is written concerning us.

Acts 13:46
Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

Notice the opposite reactions to the Word that God revealed bring opposite results.

Lewis W said:
The 66 that we have make up the Bible because the Holy Ghost, was the guiding force behind it.

That sounds nice. But, how do we know FOR SURE?

Lewis W said:

It took 300 + years for the Holy Ghost to make up his mind what books to add and what books to drop from the NT?.......

Do you really believe the Holy Ghost had anything to do with the formation of the "NT" canon as we have it today?

On retrospect you may be right....in a back door kind of way....

Just as God gave the Jews false prophets as a test to prove them out.....God may have allowed the canon in it's present state, as a guide to prove Pauline Christianity as false....it is clear that the Gospels, James, Peter, John, and Jude counter Paul....Just as the OT scriptures are used to ferret out false prophets (with study), so too the NT books ferret out false prophets....a test to see who will do the research to prove true and false with the information given....

Maybe the Holy Spirit of God did have something to do with the modern cannon formation....considering throughout historical canon discussion, James, Jude, the epistles of John and 2 and 3, Peter 1 and 2 were not generally accepted...until after 400AD....

Pauline scripture generally accepted by 130 AD and never questioned post 200.

Maybe the HS was at work after all....you know the first canon only included the Pauline epistles and a watered down version of Luke.....Marcion of course...

Here is the answer on how the scriptures from 1000 years before Christ were written:

"But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God." 2Peter 1:20,21

This means that man did not write these 66 books in the Bible but God Himself.

For futher study: 2Timothy 3:16-17

Just remember it says no scripture was written by any man's interprtation; this includes both old and new testaments.

Most of these other books clearly do not belong in the Bible. For example, the website says of one book:
One such book which, by the way, did not make the cut was the Book of Enoch (several copies of Enoch were found at Qumran along with the other Dead sea Scrolls. In fact, there were more copies of Enoch and Isaiah than any other book, indicating the high regard given to these two books by the Jewish sect of the Essenes). In spite of the fact that it was held in the same high regard as the Books of Moses, the Book of Isaiah, was quoted by Jude, and quite extensively by Paul and Jesus, it was still discarded by those that put together the Canon we use today.

The impression this leaves is the impression that Enoch belongs in the Bible. It goes on to imply that only something sinister has kept this book out of the Bible.

If God had wanted this book in the Bible, then why would He allow it to go missing from the face of the Earth for nearly 2000 years, until the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls? There are a number of other reasons why the Church should have rejected it in the first place.

Maybe the HS was at work after all....you know the first canon only included the Pauline epistles and a watered down version of Luke.....Marcion of course...

Pauls letters were quoted as authentic scripture by early Christian writers and was mentioned by Peter himself who said: "Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. (2 Peter 3:15-16)

And Marcion was a Gnostic heretic, who had an entire apology written against him by the Ante-Nicene Fathers, and he tried to contradict St. John and many others in his writtings.

P.S.
I left an explanatory post in your PM about that book you gave me. I did take it seriously, so please read over my explanation.

cybershark5886 said:

Pauls letters were quoted as authentic scripture by early Christian writers and was mentioned by Peter himself who said: "Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. (2 Peter 3:15-16)

Cyber....2 Peter is well known to be not written by Peter...but it was written by a pseudo peter (a pro Paul person)....If that is the case...then....

And Marcion was a Gnostic heretic, who had an entire apology written against him by the Ante-Nicene Fathers, and he tried to contradict St. John and many others in his writtings.

That's right....Marcion was a "Paul only guy".....why?.....Marcion was a gnostic...and he embraced Paul....hmmm.....what is the connection...a gnostic Christ maybe...?

P.S.
I left an explanatory post in your PM about that book you gave me. I did take it seriously, so please read over my explanation.

If you would be so kind to reprint your latest pm....I was a little miffed and didn't think you took it seriously...send it to me again and I will be glad to dialogue with you on it....

Lewis W said:
Are you privy with how the Holy Spirit guided them? Can you tell us some accounts of how the Holy Spirit guided these men who were behind the composition of these 66 books of the bible? How sure are you that it was indeed the Holy Spirit that guided them?

Poke wrote: The impression this leaves is the impression that Enoch belongs in the Bible. It goes on to imply that only something sinister has kept this book out of the Bible.

Have you read the book of Enoch? What about the fact that Enoch walked with God and was so righteous that God took him? How about Jasher? Jasher means ‘correct’ or ‘upright’ and has not been lost at all to the Ethiopian church, just to the other churches. In Revelations you can even see that most of the early church had left the truth and were in danger of losing their oil lit candlestick. (light of the Holy Spirit)

Poke wrote: If God had wanted this book in the Bible, then why would He allow it to go missing from the face of the Earth for nearly 2000 years, until the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls? There are a number of other reasons why the Church should have rejected it in the first place.

I don’t even read church history because of the sordid tales of brutality and cruel bloodshed in the name of Christ during most of that period.
2 Kings 22:17 Because they have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods, that they might provoke me to anger with all the works of their hands; therefore my wrath shall be kindled against this place, and shall not be quenched.

If you read the rest of 2 Kings 22, you’ll see that when God’s people had forsaken him, he allowed the law of Moses to go missing from them until Josiah began to turn to the repair of the temple:
8And Hilkiah the high priest said unto Shaphan the scribe, I have found the book of the law in the house of the LORD. And Hilkiah gave the book to Shaphan, and he read it.
9And Shaphan the scribe came to the king, and brought the king word again, and said, Thy servants have gathered the money that was found in the house, and have delivered it into the hand of them that do the work, that have the oversight of the house of the LORD.
10And Shaphan the scribe shewed the king, saying, Hilkiah the priest hath delivered me a book. And Shaphan read it before the king.
11And it came to pass, when the king had heard the words of the book of the law, that he rent his clothes.

It is a sign of hope that these books have come back to be read and considered, if you ask me.
There could be an increase in light, that is unless you “put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting lifeÀÂ, as Paul said of the Jews in Acts 13.

Here is a test. Would you be willing to die for the books that aren't included in the bible? People died trying to protect and preserve the books of the bible because the Holy Spirit used these books to speak to them. They knew that had to preserve them for future generations.

Disciple88 said:
Here is the answer on how the scriptures from 1000 years before Christ were written:

"But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God." 2Peter 1:20,21

This means that man did not write these 66 books in the Bible but God Himself.

For futher study: 2Timothy 3:16-17

Just remember it says no scripture was written by any man's interprtation; this includes both old and new testaments.
I like the King James Version better.

2 Peter 1:20-21 (King James Version)
20Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Those were one of the first Scriptures that I learned to memorize, and was my signature when I first came here. Those verses are very important to me.

Yeshua_kingdom_come said:
Here is a test. Would you be willing to die for the books that aren't included in the bible? People died trying to protect and preserve the books of the bible because the Holy Spirit used these books to speak to them. They knew that had to preserve them for future generations.
There is no need for such things because anybody can come to the Lord God Jesus Christ to seek the TRUTH directly from Him (Jesus) in a way that He (Jesus) did to Paul. The Lord himself can teach us all the necessary things that we need for us to attain our salvation and eternal life. Focus and object of our faith should be the Lord God Jesus Christ and not of any written scriptures and the likes, they are just our guide in coming to the Lord.

I) This first group contains 8 books which are referred to in the Old Testament. The Bible indicates that we should read these books, however, most of them are not available to us. The "Book of Jasher" is presently available in print (we have it posted in its entirety in the PDF Library) and "The Book of Gad the Seer" is presently in translation. As for the remaining books, the only existing copies (as far as we have been able to determine) are under lock and key, and the only two attempts (that we know of) to have them translated into modern languages for research and study have been turned away. These books are:

1) Book of Nathan the Prophet
(I Chronicles 29:29 & II Chronicles 9:29) 2) Book of Gad the Seer
(I Chronicles 29:29}
3) Book of Jasher
(Joshua 10:13 & II Samuel 1:18)
(To read Jasher, visit our PDF Library) 4) Book of Jehu
(II Kings 10:1 & II Chronicles 20:34)
5) Book of the Acts of Solomon
(I Kings 11:41) 6) Book of the Wars of the Lord
(Numbers 21:14)
7) Prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite
(II Chronicles 9:29) 8) Visions of Iddo the Seer
(II Chronicles 9:29 & II Chronicles 12:15)
http://www.arkedmin.org/Writings/Lessons/MissingBks.htm

Now I had 1 Chronicles 29:29 highlighted in my Bible, I must have did it many years ago. And just looked at it tonight. And I can't remember why I highlighted it. I must have talked about this before' or something. I just want you people to look at that verse or those verses and tell me what you think.

Lewis W wrote: I just want you people to look at that verse or those verses and tell me what you think.

Deuteronomy 19:15, Matthew 18:16 and 2 Corinthians 13:1 all state that in the mouth of two or more witnesses, a thing may be established as truth, yet we have no other book in our Bibles that witnesses to the events of Genesis. I have read all of Jasher and constructed a time line to compare events with Genesis and I can find no notable discrepancies. It’s unfortunate that in the past few years back, Jasher was only taken seriously by the LDS and was published in Salt Lake City, giving it a false impression that it is a Mormon book, which it is not. The Ethiopian Christian has always had it in their scriptures. It helped clear up several misconceptions that I had previously held. I think it is well worth reading and studying. Thanks for asking, Lewis.

Thread subject

Quote by Lewis W.:

>>>Now I had 1 Chronicles 29:29 highlighted in my Bible, I must have did it many years ago. And just looked at it tonight. And I can't remember why I highlighted it. I must have talked about this before' or something. I just want you people to look at that verse or those verses and tell me what you think.<<<

Q: The following is an annotation from the Scofield Bible, which duplicates much of what you have already posted, in added confirmation.

"[1 Ch.29:29] The OT points to a very extensive literture among the Hebrew people which has not been preserved. Among the uninspired books are the two mentioned here: The book of Nathan the prophet [2 Chr.9:29], and the book of Gad the Seer. Among others are: The Book of Jasher [Jos.10:13; 2 Sam.1:18]; The Book of the Acts of Solomon [1 Ki.11:41]; The Prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite, and The Visions of Iddo the Seer [2 Chr.9:29; cp. 12 :15; 13:22; the Book of Shemaiah the Prophet [2 Chr.12:15]; Isaiah's The Acts of Uzziah [2 Chr.26:22]; and the Sayings of the Seers [2 Chr.33:19]. Some of the facts recorded in these now lost books appear, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, in the historical records of the OT. The discoveries at and near the Qumran included portions of over 200 non-canonical books."

Blessings,

Quasar

Thanks guy's, I am just trying to see what you peoples thoughts are on this. I blew some transistors trying to remember why I highlighted that verse in my Bible, I have had that KJB since around 97. And it is highlighted all over the place so who knows.

There is no need for such things because anybody can come to the Lord God Jesus Christ to seek the TRUTH directly from Him (Jesus) in a way that He (Jesus) did to Paul. The Lord himself can teach us all the necessary things that we need for us to attain our salvation and eternal life. Focus and object of our faith should be the Lord God Jesus Christ and not of any written scriptures and the likes, they are just our guide in coming to the Lord.

Oooooh.... big mistake. Earlier in my Christian walk I thought like you did and didn't understand the full role of the Bible in the grand scheme of things. But infact the Bible is much more than a guide or a manual to life. First of all the Bible says that the Word is living and active and sharper than a double edged sword (Hebrews 4:12). When the Gospel was preached it was preached not only in word but in power (1 Thessalonians 1:5). Isaiah 55:11 states that God's word cannot return to him empty, it will accomplish his will each time. In other words everytime you read the Bible he will always get a reaction from you. His Word as sown in your heart will return some result.

Secondly, and most importantly, Jesus establishes everything that he said as the very thing that will judge us on the last day. His words are our very standard of living. "He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. (John 12:48) Similarly, for those who do not believe in Jesus, would also have Moses (the law) judge them on the last day. "Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; the one who accuses you is Moses, in whom you have set your hope. For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote of Me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?" (John 5:45-47)

Obviously this also requires us to believe Moses and the words he wrote in the law. The Bible is very important, it is a foundation, and it is an agent of salvation that is living and has real power. Consider the relevance of the Bible in the life of all believers, and meditate on the Bible's words as the Holy Spirit gives you understanding. In fact it is by reading God's Word that he Holy Spirit begins to transform you from the inside out. "The kingdom of God is like a man who casts seed upon the soil; and goes to bed at night and gets up by day, and the seed sprouts up and grows-- how, he himself does not know." (Mark 4:27) How the Word grows in our heart by the Holy Spirit we don't exactly know, but we do know that it does infact grow. The Bible is extremely important, let us not loose sight of this.

Back