Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Odd Hobbies

collecting sugar packets is

• odd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • unique

• silly

• pointless

• don't really care.

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Did you forget how to count? He posted four times, not three! :wink:

211, huh...go sugar packet collection!

That's GREAT StoveBolts!!!!
:onfire:

That pic with the frontend painted...
Did the same thing with a '75 TA. Only 4 freakin' bolts hold that part onto the rest of the frame. 4 bolts!! Big ones yes but... lol
Sandblasted the thing too, each piece. What a pain that is but it's worth it.
First time I blasted I did it in my garage. Huge mistake! thought I had everything covered but sand still got everywhere. Never, ever blast in a garage, do it outside and bear the weather.
Trying to see through frosted goggles, breathing thru a respirator still tasting sand and sand getting between the rubber of the respirator and your face mixed with sweat is no fun. Should have gone a full hood but at the time cost was prohibitive. Still, sandblasting is hardcore but man does it do a good job. And I found out how fast fresh bare metal can get a thin film of oxidation on it. Get it covered pronto.

Did a '65 Ford F100 that way, every piece and put a 383 mopar engine in it. Custom motor mounts, tranny mounting and rearend pads did the trick. The whole drivetrain was Mopar with the cast iron long tailshaft 4 speed. Didn't do squat on the track tho, no traction... but boy it was great on the street for showing off. A nice thick smoke and a lot of it. :lol: Once the tires bit in the thing would honk! Still remember the casting number of the heads I used from a '67 GTX 440... 2780915. I searched and searched and searched for those heads. No internet back then either.

Thinking about all that would I go back????
Only if I lost about 35 years. :lol:

And if I did I'd definitely go Chevy. Somehow I kept running into rare Mopar parts and deals on cars so Mopar I went. Still, if I had it all to do again I'd go Chevy. The 427s back then would get the adrenalin pumpin' in seconds. The 396s were no slouches either. Only way I'd go Mopar again is if I got hold of the Hemi stuffed in '70 cuda.... liberty transmission... Dana rearend. <drools>

All that was back in the late 60s, early 70's. Right around '75-'76 I kind of got away from all that, other things were pressing and the cars coming out were beginning to have emissions junk bolted all over the engines.

I think the best part of it all though was building the engines. After all was cleaned, tools in their place and cleaned, the garage scrubbed down the real fun began. There's nothing like the feel of the parts in a shortblock covered in oil with no grit what-so-ever going together. The machining was a lot of fun too. Valve grinding, porting, CC'ing the heads and polishing take time but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

But when it's time to crank it over for the first time and it roars to life and idles the way it's supposed to well, that's the payoff right there. What a feeling huh?
:wink:
That's when it's all worth it.

Anyway, got into tesla coils.
So, I've decided to build just one more... go all out. Been at it now for about three years building each component from scratch.

This is the power center. Plugs into 240 volts and delivers 10,000+ watts with all the safety features I could think of. Yeah, I'm an electronics nut too. ;)
Basically this consists of a stack of 6 variacs controlled by SCRs.

It kind of got really heavy and hard to move around so I built a set of cats for it. :biggrin
All this is by hand. The only power tools I used was a drill press and hand drill. All shaped parts were filed by hand. Aircraft aluminum (T651) doesn't suit grinders all that well. Clogs the stone in a heartbeat.

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/finished1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/finished2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/finished3.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/finished4.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/finished8.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/finished5.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/finished6.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/finished7.jpg

I have a few more "interesting" pieces like the transformer out of a pole pig (those transformers you see on telephone poles) encased in 1" acrylic... the original "plastic pig".

I'll get those pics and some more uploaded and linked later. :)

Sorry about the 4 duplicate posts :oops: Not sure what happened :-?

Hey Potluck, Wow! That thing is just scary! Wow... I am utterly without words. Do you run it off your generator or did you have the electric company pull in a heavier line to your house? LOL

Seriously, your tesla coil is just plain scary looking! I would love to see it in action and your going to have to post some nite pictures! That is just way too cool! Again, Wow, I'm speechless!

It sounds like you've had some fun with your TA. I've got a pretty big garage (1,200 sq feet) so it's pretty easy to section off an area for sandblasting. I agree though, it makes a pretty big mess but some times, you got to break it out. I got a good deal on a pressurized sand blaster from Harbor freight. It works pretty good.

Speaking of fabricating stuff, as you know, when you go custom, you go custom. I can't begin to tell you all of the little peices here and there that I've had to hand fabricate (I used to be a tin knocker and love the trade). Come to find out, I can't get full throttle on my carb because since I've got this and that, the carb is mounted a couple inches higher than stock. Sooooo, now I have to cut the vertical arm and weld a piece to it so it's longer so I can get the throw I need... Does it ever end? LOL.

Anyway, I hope to have it fully streetable (and insured for driving) by June. I guess that means I have to put more than three bolts in each fender LOL :biggrin

Anyway, it's been a busy week. I'd love to write more, but can't. I tell you, it's feast or famine.

Post some nite pictures of you tesla in action! That thing is just way cool!

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:58 pm

StoveBolts said:
Hopefully I'll get it finished this weekend. I'm hoping, (but not counting on) actually taking the car for a short spin for the frist time maybe on Sunday!
Hey Timothy! Congrats on the sugar packs!

Ha! Jan 27 LOL I think I may need your prayers if I want to get my car street ready by June LOL!! :-D

Whew. Getting a rod streetable was a tough nut to crack back when I was a piston head too. You couldn't have headers, the suspension had to be stock ... yada... yada... yada.. and some old fogy at an inspection garage usually had to drive the car for a "test" ride.
I suppose the laws have changed but it still gives me shivers thinking about that job.
Good luck. And I know with all you've done and gone through so far you'll not be deterred... not now.
:smt023

Man, I wish I had the snapshots of the cars I "played" with back in the day. But I lost everything in a fire back in '78. And I mean everything. The cars I sold long before that and to this day I'm still kicking myself in the hinny for being so stupid. You would have loved the '70 RT Challenger. E-body. Torsion bar frontend. That one was my fav out of all of them even though it had a peculiar way of coming out of the hole. After dumping the clutch the driver's side would lead the passenger's side on the way up then opposite on the way down. Not a lot but it was still something you had to get used to and know how to handle.

Anyway,
Haven't built the whole tesla project yet, just building the pieces. I have a few major pieces to go as yet. But, along the way I had some fun and put together some other high voltage pieces for the fun of it.

Anyway, here's some shots of that "plastic pig" I was talking about.
The power center will be used to power one of these... backwards. Put 240 volts in and get 14,400 volts out. Usually on a telephone pole it's the other way around but transformers can work either way.

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/polepig.jpg

Thing is, as they are they are big and cumbersome with about 15 gallons more oil in them than needed for this project. Still must be under oil though so I decided to use 1" clear acrylic as the "container".

This is what's inside one of these things.

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/polepig2.jpg

Yep, just a transformer that powers your entire house. That's a standard size cookie sheet it's sitting on. 14,400 volts in, 240 volts out to your breaker box.

So I rough cut the 1" thick acrylic and fashioned a jig to make the edges straight and square. Clamp it in this jig, use the sander on the drill you see laying there and walla! A nice straight and square edge.

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/jig1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/jig2.jpg

Here are two pieces done on top of a piece that's been rough cut.

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/jig3.jpg

Checking for comfort. ;)

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/pigcheck.jpg

A few odds and ends... some wheels and there we go. :) All contained and completely submersed in clear transformer oil ready for service.

http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/donepig.jpg

A friend of mine built an inmpulse transformer from a pole pig. One of the things he has done with it is to make shrunken quarters. He has a plexiglass tube that the quarter fits into, which goes through the center of a coil he winds himself. Insert quarter, hook the coil to the transformer, throw the switch. He finally built a shield to go over the thing after he nearly lost an eye from hot frag when a coil exploded. A shield is a good thing.

If you mention to him how dangerous his machine is in operation, he just gets a big grin and shrugs his shoulders. "Yeah, but how many people do you know that know how to shrink a quarter." (He had me on that one.)

FYI: He got his pig while in Louisiana, doing cleanup and reconstruction work after Katrina. He said the Electric Company down there had to replace every transformer that was submerged. He said there was "junk" transformers of every size and description for the taking. You just needed a good truck with a lift on it. The one he brought back probably weighed about 1500 pounds, according to him. He said it had his one ton truck squatted down pretty bad bringing it back home.

Me personally, I collect bills. I work in the collections dept of the Law firm I work for. I am the guy you don't want calling you, or sending you any "Personal and Cofidential" letters in the mail.

Wow Potluck,

How in the world did you get into this hobby? I mean, I do home electrical because I'm too cheap to pay sobody else (and I know how to read LOL) but other than that, I'm scared to death of electricity! My first experienc was wiring in a 220 dryer and a buddy told me all I had to do was tie two 110's together at the breaker box... well, I was working off the hot side and not the cold side... oops ohh, and there was the time that I was changing the light switch in the winter and didn't want to go outside to the cold garage to the insulated linesmen, so I just used my stainless steel leatherman... oops, that one knocked me flat on my rear and it took about 3 days to get over that one! LOL

I know what you mean by kicking yourself in the hiney! I had a 71 Nova RS that was mechanically perfect except it needed a new clutch and I sold it for $800 bucks... Then there was my 68 GTO with my 500 hp wide block 400... I could just cry...

But I will get my Camaro going before June! All I need to do is fix the throttle linkage, bleed the rear brakes again, fix a gas leak, fix my power steering leak, bold on my fenders, strip the paint and get it back into primer. I should have that done in a month or so huh?

BenJasher said:
If you mention to him how dangerous his machine is in operation, he just gets a big grin and shrugs his shoulders. "Yeah, but how many people do you know that know how to shrink a quarter." (He had me on that one.)

:-D :-D :-D I know that grin :-D :-D

BenJasher,
Another way is to shrink coins is to aquire a bunch of high voltage capacitors. The higher the valkue the better. You charge the caps to capacity with a low current high voltage supply. A coil much the same as you're talking about is wound from 1/4" ground wire. The quarter goes inside the coil, the charge from the caps is released through the coil and BLAMMM!!!!... the quarter shrinks. The coil explodes too so it's always best to do that inside a heavy box of sorts... contains the molten copper that could fly all over the place.
Use earplugs :-D

Anyway,
One thing about high voltage... you don't have to touch something to get hit. It'll come over to you. You don't get any second chances and you can make only one mistake. After that it doesn't matter anymore because you're dead. This isn't static electricity we're talking about here, it's real power that can kill.
Before any powerup I write up a checklist specific for what I'm about to do consulting again the schematics and wiring for the proposed experiment. No clutter and I mean none. Don't want anything to trip over or something laying around that may catch fire. I make darn sure I can kill power just in case. This is where that power center comes in. It has the capability to cut power within 8 milliseconds (unlike a circuit breaker that can take far too much time to trip) in the event of a sensed voltage/current spike downstream, it can detect overcurrent situations and automatically adjust output to compensate. It can sense overcurrent from each individual variac within itself and shutdown in case one of the variacs is under too much load. Depending on the settings, which can be adjusted "on the fly", it can do a total shutdown or simply tell the SCRs to "throttle back" on power delivery or cut output power without shuting down the entire unit.

But that's only for the 240 volt output to a project. It can't help with charged caps, fires etc. I have 2 halotron extinguishers (2.5 lbs each) and one dry chemical ABC (5 lbs) handy at all times.
I adhere rigidly to that checklist no matter what. I have time not to die.
Powering down is even more important than powering up in my opnion. That too has a checklist.
And I'm not kidding about those checklists. There's a lot of thought that goes into procedure and I'm quite adament about procedure. I do NOT like surprises. :o

I don't want to wind up like this poor furby:
http://home.comcast.net/~beloveds/Pics/furby.mpeg
:-D

Heh, it's good to read about these different hobbies, very entertaining. I have an unusual one myself...

Brutus/His Catalyst collects sugar packets...

I collect...poison packets.

You know, the packets of moth poison you find in new coats, and other clothes when you first buy them. I tear open the packets and empty out the contents in a jar.

Of course, I keep a warning label on the jar telling people it's moth poison, just so they don't be stupid and try eating it.

:tongue

Joudi;

I would think that as fond as you are of chickens, you would collect them as well. :wink:

Benjasher,

Hey, wasn't expecting that...did you go to my website? Hehe, but you know, you're right, I'm really fond of them. I would collect them too, I love chickens. They make excellent pets...just once you get past the fact that it's impossible to toilet train them, hehe. They follow you around and sit and sleep in your lap...it's like an overload of cuteness. *Grins*

I'm guilty. I visited your www site. That's where I read about the chickens. :)

Ha,
Ben, how many chickens do you have now? Were up to around 35-40... Somewhere around there...

We used to have this big red rooster. Man I loved that fellow. He'd come right up to me and want to be pet. Used to follow me around and all...

Anyway, the kid was chasing his harem and he got sick of it and started chasing my son... Wife made me get rid of him :crying:

:smt117

BTW Joudie,
Nice site. But can I ask why the facination with poison packets?

I used to raise chickens for the meat and eggs. I had an Old Engllish Gamecock for a rooster, with about 15 or so Banta (pronounced "banny") hens.

Mr. Cogburn (the rooster, get it?) would just whip the hide off a dog if it got too close, or bothered one of the hens. It was comical to watch. He had an attitude.

Then I had an uncle once who thought he was a chicken. My aunt would have taken him to see a professional, but she was making too much money from selling the eggs.

Now see what you made me do? You got me telling old Hee Haw jokes.

My husband is raising pheasants and quail. I like the pheasants as far the taste goes, but i'm starting not to like the quail as far as taste.
Maybe because I tasted pheasant.

StoveBolts said:
Anyway, the kid was chasing his harem and he got sick of it and started chasing my son... Wife made me get rid of him :crying:

:smt117

:hysterical:

If there's one smilie I'd have thought could never be used so fittingly that one was it.
:lol:

Hey Stovebolts,

I don't really know, it's not really a fascination with moth poison--I just like to collect them...it seems that I've always had interests in things for no real reason. For example, I LOVE fighter video games like Tekken 3 and Mortal Kombat 4...but I'm not in the least violent nor was in any way surrounded by violence. *Shrugs and smiles*

I'm glad you liked my site! It's the first one I've seriously worked on. Whoever visits is more then welcome to sign the guestbook or leave a comment on the Clucker forum if they like!
:-D

As for other hobbies, I like collecting foriegn and special edition coins. My dad travels a lot so he often brings home foriegn currency which I love to save. I'm also a brown belt in Karate, which I enjoy immensely.

I've had in total about five chickens--three of which grew into adulthood. Two of the others either died early or ran away. (We were out of the country and left them with other caretakers--so I don't know what really happened to Twinkle and Sunset.)

They were super-fun to have around. They're not the smartest creatures in the world, but very entertaining. Even my best friend Kris loves chickens and really wants one for a pet--hehe. What is it about these feathered things that make them so appealing???

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back