Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Oil pressure gauge going crazy?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

John

I just did an oil change on my 1995 Jeep Cherokee and i have noticed that my oil pressure gauge has been all over the place whats going on here :confused

Could be the pump, or a kink in the hose, or a faulty gauge. Also when you first start up, it should be high because oil is thick after sitting for a while, so give it 10 minutes depending if it summer or winter. Also unstable idle and clogged oil passage ways, will do it too

Lewis W said:
Could be the pump, or a kink in the hose, or a faulty gauge. Also when you first start up, it should be high because oil is thick after sitting for a while, so give it 10 minutes depending if it summer or winter. Also unstable idle and clogged oil passage ways, will do it too
maybe in the process of the oil change he damaged the oil pressure sending unit, as its near the oil filter if john's car has an inline 6 cyl, john put a mechanic oil pressure guage and see, rule of thumb for every grand of tech there should be at least 10psi increasure of oil pressure, ie 1000 rpm oil pressure 10psi,

jason

John said:
I think i may have tightened the oil filter too much i wonder if that could be a problem. :confused
i agree with lewis and did you check your oil pressure with a oil pressure guage they sell at auto parts stores? What size engine do you have in your cherokee, john?
jason

have u tried to see if the sending unit for oil gauge is damaged, if the 4.0 liter is the in line 6cyl engine then you may have damaged it, check by looking at the wire about the oil filter, it real easy to brake, i've done it a couple times, i doubt that an engines oil pressure would go whacky immediately after an oil change due to a pump problem.

jason

Sound Solution

John, not a good idea to run with abnormal pressure.

Dont discount your filter idea.

The way they are made has me amazed
at how few bad ones we see.

I could be wrong anymore,
but most automotive engine filters are "Full flow",
meaning all the oil must go thru it.
Seems to me theres a bypass valve inside many of them.
Maybe its plugged from the factory?

Im assuming there is a spring loaded spool
used to regulate the max pressure also,
but inside the engine or filter housing.
If the spring is broken, or if the spool is sticking...
there will be trouble.

Did you get the right jug of oil?
I had to stop using Castol in one of my vehicles way back.

Hey, most people never know when their oil pressure is bad.
The light never comes on til its too late.

My dad once said,
"Turn up the radio at the first sign of trouble."

Re: Sound Solution

PrimeRoot said:
John, not a good idea to run with abnormal pressure.

Dont discount your filter idea.

The way they are made has me amazed
at how few bad ones we see.

I could be wrong anymore,
but most automotive engine filters are "Full flow",
meaning all the oil must go thru it.
Seems to me theres a bypass valve inside many of them.
Maybe its plugged from the factory?

Im assuming there is a spring loaded spool
used to regulate the max pressure also,
but inside the engine or filter housing.
If the spring is broken, or if the spool is sticking...
there will be trouble.

Did you get the right jug of oil?
I had to stop using Castol in one of my vehicles way back.

Hey, most people never know when their oil pressure is bad.
The light never comes on til its too late.

My dad once said,
"Turn up the radio at the first sign of trouble."

oil filters have a pressure by pass in them, if they are made to automotive enginering standards, the pressure bleed of you spoke of is in the oil pump and that the case seals would blow, the oil pump is a positve feedback pressure,meaning that the oil pump has teeth that squeeze oil through the system and create a vaccum at the pump that helps suck the oil to the pump.

jason

John,

Without being there to take a look, I'm leaning toward what Jason said. Let me see if I have this right first though ok?

Your Oil Pressure gauge was working fine until after you changed the oil. After your oil change, your oil pressure gauge starting acting wacky. What did you mean by wacky?

When I hear wacky, I immediately think that your gauge is swinging quickly and erratically without rhyme or reason. In my minds eye, I see a gauge that goes far to the right, then immediately drops to the left, staggers or 'sticks' for a moment and swings back to the right. Quick erratic jerks would indicate to me anyway that a wire to your sending unit is broke :shrug

Question.
At idle, where was your max oil pressure? I'm guessing that it used to run around 20psi?
At idle, what is your current max oil pressure reading? Is your gauge erratic at idle? What is it's max reading?

While driving, what was your max oil pressure? I'm guessing it used to run around 35-40psi?
What is your max oil pressure now?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back