Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Once Saved Always Saved (OSAS)!

Here's another scripture that makes it hard to jump on the OSAS bandwagon:

"15 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain." (1 Corinthians 15:1-2 NASB)

Here we see him talking to those who heard the gospel, received it, and stand in it, and are saved, yet he tells them that is all in vain if they don't hold fast in it.

Those who do not Believe and want to Believe a Christian Believer can lose their salvation fall under the law...they have rejected Lord Jesus Christ.
The problem with this reasoning is faith in Christ is not a work of the law.
It is commonly thought that righteousness must be earned. Anything worth having must be worked for—right? Not so in the Kingdom of God. In fact, something so valuable and precious as righteousness is a free gift! Still religion would tell you that your position of righteousness is based upon your performance. If that were true, you would not need Jesus.
The condition for justification is 'believing'. That is the 'work' that Paul contrasts with all other work in regard to that which counts towards justification. So we know that righteousness does not come as a reward for the performance of righteous work, but rather through belief and trust in the blood of Christ to forgive and make one righteous before God. And Paul seems to make it pretty clear that we have to have that same believing, that same trusting, that same confidence to the end in order to stay in the promise of that confidence.

God is faithful, in fact, the very definition of it. But if we don't stay in the surety and faithfulness of God's promise, can we really expect to be spared on the Day of Wrath? After all, believing (through the gift of faith graciously given to us so we can believe/ trust) is indeed the condition for being in Christ. But, because the faith to even be able to do that is entirely a gracious gift of God, we simply can't take credit for the believing through which we are safely kept until the Day of Redemption.

I think it wise that we just keep on believing to the end, just as the Bible exhorts us, and not take the risk of not continuing to believe and finding out there is no salvation for those who do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

The following 3 passages apply to absolutely everyone …

“But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers sexually immoral,
sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns
with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8)

“But there shall by no means enter it (the eternal city) anything that defiles,
or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in
the Lamb's Book of Life.” (Revelation 21:27)

“But outside (of the eternal city) are dogs and sorcerers
and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters,
and whoever loves and practices a lie.” (Revelation 22:15)

These passages are referring to HABITUAL SIN (not the occasional repented-of sin),
and Jesus’ warning to the habitual sinner is spiritual death, i.e. no salvation!

There are literally MANY dozens of warning passages!

I don't care what you are or not.

I only shared me because I asked you politely to do the same and only asked what another had asked "who do you say Jesus Christ is?" There is no argument in that is there?

So seeing you don't care, I will disassociate from an uncaring attitude.

Have a blessed day in our Lord, Jesus loves you. :)

Yes it is.. And Rev 3:5 He that overcomes will like them, be dressed in white, I will never blot out his name.

Meaning if you don't endure to the end, you don't win the race.
Oh please what a weak arguement for claiming you can lose your salvation....you added your interpretation to this scripture without any regard for other scriptures not too mention logic. That is a mistake that so many people make....they take one sentence in the bible and build their theology on it without any regard for other scirpture. Because they happen to like how it makes them feel. Once you are born-again you don't become un born that is just plain silly and illogical.:lol

Here's a couple for you @ Peter 2:12 12 But these people blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like unreasoning animals, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like animals they too will perish.

And Jude 1:10 10 Yet these people slander whatever they do not understand, and the very things they do understand by instinct—as irrational animals do—will destroy them.

I can see the fruit you produce.....
Yes. It is a shame that these people did those things that Peter and Jude wrote about....sure hope they repented and started worshiping Jesus...don't you? You can see the fruit that i produce?? hey wait a minute...are you the one that has been stalking me??lol

Those who do not Believe and want to Believe a Christian Believer can lose their salvation fall under the law...they have rejected Lord Jesus Christ.
The problem with this reasoning is faith in Christ is not a work of the law.
It is commonly thought that righteousness must be earned. Anything worth having must be worked for—right? Not so in the Kingdom of God. In fact, something so valuable and precious as righteousness is a free gift! Still religion would tell you that your position of righteousness is based upon your performance. If that were true, you would not need Jesus.
The condition for justification is 'believing'. That is the 'work' that Paul contrasts with all other work in regard to that which counts towards justification. So we know that righteousness does not come as a reward for the performance of righteous work, but rather through belief and trust in the blood of Christ to forgive and make one righteous before God. And Paul seems to make it pretty clear that we have to have that same believing, that same trusting, that same confidence to the end in order to stay in the promise of that confidence.

God is faithful, in fact, the very definition of it. But if we don't stay in the surety and faithfulness of God's promise, can we really expect to be spared on the Day of Wrath? After all, believing (through the gift of faith graciously given to us so we can believe/ trust) is indeed the condition for being in Christ. But, because the faith to even be able to do that is entirely a gracious gift of God, we simply can't take credit for the believing through which we are safely kept until the Day of Redemption.

I think it wise that we just keep on believing to the end, just as the Bible exhorts us, and not take the risk of not continuing to believe and finding out there is no salvation for those who do that.
Is the man in the photo your hero?

More verses that make it hard to accept the OSAS argument:

"12 Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. 13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14 For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end..." (Hebrews 3:12-14 NASB)

Ephesians 1:13-14 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

You've given nothing other than opinion in stating the seal is permanent. There is nothing in the definition that requires that a seal be permanent.

It's not opinions, it's God the Father and his promises to us. Blessings.

You've simply imposed on the definition. Paul used words that his readers would understand. They were every day Greek words. A seal was not something unbreakable.

the Scriptures do not teach once saved always saved. I'm sure upon closer inspection the context will show that those passages are not teaching such a thing.

John 8:44 - You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.

There's nothing here teaching OSAS
Try logic Butch...God gave us a brain lets use it. You have been born. Can you become unborn? This applies to the soul as well...you become born-again...it is a spiritual rebirth...you become a new creature in Christ. You are basically a new creation. True you can sin and you can backslide...but if you are truly a born-again child of God you stay a born-again child of God. Jesus said all that the Father has given me will come to me and whoever comes to me i will never cast out.....So i can kick back grab a cold one and sit on blessed assurance that Jesus will never cast me out.:)

Yeah, He did give us a brain, does a person have to be unborn to die? I've already shown the use of John 6 is out of context.

You've given nothing other than opinion in stating the seal is permanent. There is nothing in the definition that requires that a seal be permanent.

It's not opinions, it's God the Father and his promises to us. Blessings.

You've simply imposed on the definition. Paul used words that his readers would understand. They were every day Greek words. A seal was not something unbreakable.

Ephesians 1:13-14 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. Onced saved always saved is true and biblical. Let's study the definitions of salvation, believed, sealed, holy Spirit, promise, earnest, inheritance, redemption and what purchased possession means. Unborn to die? Yes, a person has to be unborn of his sins to die in sin and born again of the Spirit in this lifetime to see the kingdom of God after he dies. Blessings.

Try logic Butch...God gave us a brain lets use it. You have been born. Can you become unborn? This applies to the soul as well...you become born-again...it is a spiritual rebirth...you become a new creature in Christ. You are basically a new creation. True you can sin and you can backslide...but if you are truly a born-again child of God you stay a born-again child of God. Jesus said all that the Father has given me will come to me and whoever comes to me i will never cast out.....So i can kick back grab a cold one and sit on blessed assurance that Jesus will never cast me out.:)

Yeah, He did give us a brain, does a person have to be unborn to die? I've already shown the use of John 6 is out of context.
You have shown that you don't understand scripture very well. You take a simple easy to understand statement by Jesus and make it complicated because it doesn't agree with YOUR belief system.:)

You have shown that you don't understand scripture very well. You take a simple easy to understand statement by Jesus and make it complicated because it doesn't agree with YOUR belief system.:)

Does a person have to be unborn to die?

Does a person have to be unborn to die?

yes ,spiritually speaking. Your question is the same as Nicodemus. Do we have to go back to the womb to be born again?

The following 3 passages apply to absolutely everyone …

“But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers sexually immoral,
sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns
with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8)

“But there shall by no means enter it (the eternal city) anything that defiles,
or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in
the Lamb's Book of Life.” (Revelation 21:27)

“But outside (of the eternal city) are dogs and sorcerers
and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters,
and whoever loves and practices a lie.” (Revelation 22:15)

These passages are referring to HABITUAL SIN (not the occasional repented-of sin),
and Jesus’ warning to the habitual sinner is spiritual death, i.e. no salvation!

There are literally MANY dozens of warning passages!
Notice! Nowhere does it state Christian Believers will not enter into Heaven. Christian Believers have victory by the blood of Jesus over sins. God will not allow any person come to His Son if they could't be saved forever. All Christian Believers miss the mark everyday and sin. We confess and repent. Those that practice sin have the Devil's nature. They were never ever saved.

Last edited by a moderator:
dadof10... very perceptive. I would agree that if a man can loose his salvation, sola fide is a myth. If a man can loose his salvation, there is an element of works in salvation. I would say the same thing of the concept of "free will." If our will cooperates with Gods will there is an element of merit in salvation. We have at least in some small part earned our salvation.

Hi, Mondar. Long time no see. I hope you have been well.

After all this time, I hate to disagree with you right off the bat :), but here goes.

: ) Not a problem. I am aware of some of the differences between our traditions. The issue of free will goes all the way back to the beginning. I think of Luther and Desiderius Erasmus and their books "bondage of the will" and "freedom of the will." Nevertheless, you have always disagreed in a respectful and knowledgeable way.

Although it's of course possible, I don't think it necessary follows that if we cooperate with God's will we are "earning" salvation. I can think of many situations where people cooperate with others and "earn" nothing. If I go over to my mom's house and see her toilet is broken and fix it out of love, how did I earn anything? If my son cleans the garage for me, I might be grateful and maybe even take him for an ice cream, but he would in no way have "earned" the ice cream. He did something out of love and I responded out of love.
Concerning the term "earned" I think we need to be careful not to talk past each other. I am using the term "earned" in a way in which many similar verbs would be fine. We could say "deserved." Many other terms could be used. In the background of my comments are concepts of Grace. Of course Roman Catholics see the necessity of the Grace of God. Reformed people go a little further... we see the all sufficiency of the grace of God. Of course we use the term "sola gratia" (grace alone) to describe the sufficiency of Grace. One of the things I observe is that those who deny OSAS have a similarity in their thinking. Take for instance Jethro Bodine in this thread. Would you not see the similarity between him and you? Would you not see the similarity between those who deny OSAS. Is not Jethro's position, rather close to Roman Catholic Theology? Is not Jethro's gospel quite Roman Catholic? I am interested in your opinion on this.

Concerning the illustrations you gave above. I would suggest that we might be quibbling about choice of words and there is little substance to the differences. As I mentioned, the concepts of earned, deserved, or some sort of merit is the issue, not the exact word "earned." I am speaking of the all sufficiency of Grace. Certainly if your son cleans your garage, there is a sense in which he deserves a reward. He has been a "good" boy. If you fix your mothers toilet, you merit your mothers love. That would be being a good son.

I think sometimes our two sides talk by each other and the reason is simple. We look at justification as familial, you look at it as legal. I have read so many commentaries by well meaning OSAS adherents that mention primarily the legal side of justification/salvation and ignore the familial relationship aspect altogether. IMHO, our relationship with Christ should be looked at primarily as a family relationship. After all, the most beautiful words in the Bible might just be the last four words of 1John 3:1: "See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are."

I am not sure how you are putting things together here. I am not sure I am grasping all of what you are saying above. Also, I am not sure if you are just suggesting that the issue is one of emphasis, or one in which you would deny that justification has a forensic aspect. In my past, I always understood Roman Catholics as understanding justification as "infused righteousness" and not a legal declaration. Your using different language that has more the feel of N.T.Wright, who is Church of England.

Concerning justification. I do not know which commentaries you have read. So I cannot speak to that. I would be very interested in what you read. Any chance you can point to any specific commentaries?

I do recognize that in the language of the scriptures, the term righteous (noun form), or just (verb form) has a range of meaning and uses in the scriptures. The terms can be used in a general sense, not in reference to the doctrine of justification, or it can be used in a technical forensic sense to speak of the Pauline doctrine of justification. When the context uses the term in a general sense, I would still not grasp what you could mean by "familial." The term in those contexts often means to "make righteous" without any specific forensic sense. On the other hand, some of the Pauline contexts point to a specific forensic concept that refer to the doctrine of justification. Take for instance:
Rom 8:33 Who shall lay anything to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth;
Rom 8:34 who is he that condemneth? It is Christ Jesus that died, yea rather, that was raised from the dead, who is at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Notice the legal language in the context. The term "charge" speaks of a prosecution lawyer making an accusation or change in a courtroom setting. In verse 34 we again have the term "condemneth."

I should mention that Paul is not the only one to use the term "justification" in a forensic sense. Its that Paul is the one who uses the term in a forensic sense and connects it to the doctrine of justification. Another context in which the term has a forensic context is Exodus 23:7
Exo 23:6 Thou shalt not wrest the justice due to thy poor in his cause.
Exo 23:7 Keep thee far from a false matter; and the innocent and righteous slay thou not: for I will not justify the wicked.
Exo 23:8 And thou shalt take no bribe: for a bribe blindeth them that have sight, and perverteth the words of the righteous.

Courtroom language is all over the context here. Verse 6 is parallel with verse 7. Bribes given in a courtroom setting would "justify' the wicked. There is, however, a huge difference between the use of the term in Ex 23:7 and the use in Romans 8:33. In Exodus 23:7 the context is all about a courtroom setting. The doctrine of justification is not what Moses is talking about in Exodus. Moses is giving a law code for the nation of Israel. Romans is merely using the term "justify" in a forensic sense to speak of the NT doctrine of justification.

Dadof10, I know some of my above discussion is only a small brief glimpse of what is involved in a discussion on justification. We both know there is so much more. Thanks for your comments. It is always good to talk to you.

Many have a big problem with the term "losing salvation".
How about "forfeiting salvation" or "rejecting salvation"?
Perhaps these terms are more explanatory, i.e. make more sense.

Back