Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Online Courses?

I took English 111 (Expository Writing) and CIS 111 (Basic PC Literacy) online. I LOVED taking them online. I tried to take College Algebra online, but couldn't do it and had to drop. I am not good at math and really needed to be in a class where the instructor is there to help me when needed.

Online courses are great if you're kinda shy. You can interact with other students much more freely over chat and message boards than if you've got 50 pairs of eyes on you when you open your mouth in class :)

Then again, you have to have the self discipline to make time for the classwork, and some subjects (chemistry!) really are better if you have an instructor there in person.

The online classes I have taken were all humanities like human geography, medical anthropology, music theory, etc.

Have you found that online courses sometimes require MORE work? I know that my English class online required that we turn in an essay every week. Yet, the people that took it on campus, hardly ever had to write essays.

I just registered and didn't get my A&P, so I've decided to go for my RN instead of LPN. The only class I was able to get is Developmental Psychology and I was able to get it online. I'm SOOOOO glad because I hate driving to and from school. It's a 45 minute drive and I would have to go 2-3 days a week. Now I can do it from the comfort of home.

Yes, but I think the extra work is assigned to prove the students are paying attention to the class - doing the readings, etc, not just logging in and checking for the due date of the term paper. I think I've enjoyed online classes more when active discussion is a requirement of the class rather than just submitting assignments.

I agree totally about not having to be on campus - college of the future, done from the comfort of my living room :D !

I've taken a few. I find that I procrastinate even worse with them because they don't involve face to face contact, where I'd be more apt to feel guilty if I don't put my all into an assignment. Regardless, they sure free up a lot of time and I appreciate them a lot

I was enrolled in the University of Phoenix Online until my motorcycle accident. I had 6 more courses before receiving my BSBA degree. I will probably finish the degree as soon as I am back 100%.

There is no better way to get a degree than online in my opinion. Each course costs about $1350.00.

There is a lot of writing and research to do for individual assignments and team assignments. Each course is five weeks long. If you don't have anything else to do in life, you may be able to take two courses at a time once in a while, but it would be very hectic and time consuming.

There is no better way to get a degree than online in my opinion. Each course costs about $1350.00.

I just have to say that each one of my classes costs about $240 thats why I don't like online, too expensive for little teacher contact.

KnarfKS said:

I just have to say that each one of my classes costs about $240 thats why I don't like online, too expensive for little teacher contact.

Mine are around $180 per class. That's not including the cost of books though. It's the same price for traditional or online at my school.

I love online classes. In high school I took a bunch of them because I didn't want to get stuck in some class like art or band. I took English 111 online this summer. I like online classes more then in school classes.

I've taken 26 credits online through Northwestern College, and while I really enjoyed them (obviously - I took 26 credits!), they didn't challenge me in the same way that in-residency classes do.

Re:

Nostalgic Dawn said:
I've taken a few. I find that I procrastinate even worse with them because they don't involve face to face contact, where I'd be more apt to feel guilty if I don't put my all into an assignment. Regardless, they sure free up a lot of time and I appreciate them a lot

I feel like you were thinking what i wanted think about thinking. I procrastinated even harder takin online courses.

The pros are that you work at your own pace, dont have to worry about making it to class on time, and you get your work load for the semester all at once.

The con is that the classes are cram sessions which means you get the normal 16 week work load in only 8 weeks. This is not a good thing for those who dont endulge themselves in reading a book a week or writing a 2-page paper each and every week.

With all that said, I feel the pros out weigh the cons. I'm finishing up my BS in Sociolgy online at Grand Canyon Univerisity and its very time relieving....

Re: Re:

knowprayr said:
I feel like you were thinking what i wanted think about thinking. I procrastinated even harder takin online courses.

The pros are that you work at your own pace, dont have to worry about making it to class on time, and you get your work load for the semester all at once.

The con is that the classes are cram sessions which means you get the normal 16 week work load in only 8 weeks. This is not a good thing for those who dont endulge themselves in reading a book a week or writing a 2-page paper each and every week.

Honestly, I thought the idea of online courses was for you to finish earlier. Which would make sense with the cram courses. No point in having to study less material for a degree others travel to and from college campuses to earn. If they put out the work to travel and study outside of class why should any less be expected from someone who wants to finish faster?

It may be helpful to mention that campus courses tend to be better if you need to hear the teacher's voice and read his/her social cues. Communication is essential to the learning process, so for that reason alone, I prefer campus courses. But the choice is yours.

Arctic Engineering, it was pretty easy but I prefer a traditional class. Arctic was required for my PE so it was not a whole field of study for me, I may have to do online for my 600 level courses going for my masters in electrical engineering due to lack of options in my area where I have a good job an am not leaving lol.

Back