Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Ordering the Soteriological Elements

I agree with

• Supralapsarianism.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amyraldism.

• Arminianism.

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Dave, Boettner is a guy and solidly infra, the post was made for your pure enjoyment brother.

LOL Sorry. :oops: When you said "Hey brother, Dabney's work has been responded to, I can send you those links as well... ", I was expecting some stuff that critiqued Dabney. That's what threw me off.

"the logical arrangement of the eternal decrees begins with the decree that God would glorify himself through the salvation of the elect by Christ and the destruction of the reprobates. Each subsequent decree is then made as the means by which the former one would be accomplished."

Dave, I can't get away from the idea that infra holds election as an after thought or a consequence of the fall.

All the logic should be sourced in scripture. This is what the Supra would need to overcome for starters. I emphasized some of the better ones.

From Dabney

But we object more particularly to the Supralapsarian scheme.

(a) That it is erroneous in representing God as having before His mind, as the objects of predestination, men conceived in posse only; and in making creation a means of their salvation or damnation. Whereas, an object must be conceived as existing, in order to have its destiny given to it. And creation can with no propriety be called a means for effectuating a decree of predestination as to creatures. It is rather a prerequisite of such decree.

(b.) It contradicts Scripture, which teaches us that God chose His elect "out of the world," John 15:19, and out of the "same lump" with the vessels of dishonor (Rom. 9:21). They were then regarded as being, along with the non–elect, in the common state of sin and misery.

(c.) Our election is in Christ our Redeemer (Eph. 1:4; 3:11), which clearly shows that we are conceived as being fallen, and in need of a Redeemer, in this act. And, moreover, our election is an election to the exercise of saving graces to be wrought in us by Christ (1 Pet. 1:2; 2 Thess. 2:13). (d.) Election is declared to be an act of mercy (Rom. 9:15 16, 11:5, 6), and preterition is an act of justice (Rom. 9:22). Now as mercy and goodness imply an apprehension of guilt and misery in their object, so justice implies ill-desert. This shows that man is predestined as fallen; and is not permitted to fall because predestined. I will conclude this part, by repeating the language of Turrettin, Loc. 4, Qu. 18, 5.

1. "By this hypothesis, the first act of God’s will towards some of His creatures is conceived to be an act of hatred, in so far as He willed to demonstrate His righteousness in their damnation, and indeed before they were considered as in sin, and consequently before they were deserving of hatred; nay, while they were conceived as still innocent, and so rather the objects of love. This does not seem compatible with God’s ineffable goodness.

2. "It is likewise harsh that, according to this scheme, God is supposed to have imparted to them far the greatest effects of love, out of a principle of hatred, in that He determines to create them in a state of integrity to this end, that He may illustrate His righteousness in their damnation. This seems to express Him neither as supremely good nor as supremely wise and just.

3. "It is erroneously supposed that God exercised an act of mercy and justice towards His creatures in His foreordination of their salvation and destruction, in that they are conceived as neither wretched, nor even existing as yet. But since those virtues (mercy and justice) are relative, they pre-suppose their object, do not make it.

4. "It is also asserted without warrant, that creation and the fall are means of election and reprobation, since they are antecedent to them: else sin would be on account of damnation, whereas damnation is on account of sin; and God would be said to have created men that He might destroy them."

a rational mind formulates a plan first by determining the end, and then working backward, determines the means by which it would reach the determined end.

Again, supra always seems to start with theory, while infra starts with scripture.

I know your busy so I posted this stuff for you to read. You do not need to respond at all as in a typical forum discussion.

I think that the downfall of Supra is that it wishes to have a complete logical scheme layed out, but in doing this, it overlooks and even contradicts clear scripture.

Infa starts with scripture, and fills in the blanks with logic.

I'm content not to put too much weight in what was used to "fill in the blanks" just so we can "understand". But only give my complete support to scripture as it is written. In this sense, to a degree, I part with infa also.

Peace.

I posted a Scriptural defence of supra back thru the thread.

First, I would like to present a totally Biblical argument for the supralapsarian position. Second, I will desperately try to not use any extra-biblical logic since this has aroused so many infralapsarians. However, I will confess that to profess that God is omniscient and omnipotent and yet deny the supralapsarian position is philosophically illogical and impossible. Nevertheless, to satisfy those such as myself who have a tendency to refuse all logic against Scripture (which is actually quite a nice thing to do), I will simply expound the Scriptures. For those of you who want the philosophically logical and inevitable defense of supralapsarianism, just let me know.

http://www.5solas.org/media.php?id=553

The following is my position.....has been, and will be....

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:

Back