Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

OS and programs you use...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Window manager: XFCE 4
WWW: Firefox 3.0.4
Mail: 2.24.1
Music: Rythmbox 0.11.6
Graphics: Gimp 2.6.6
Photo organizer: F-Spot 0.4.4 / ShowFoto 0.10.0-beta5
Bible: xiphos 3.1.1-mozembed (formerly known as Gnome Sword)
Office: OpenOffice 3.0

Those are the programs I use most. I don't play a lot of games except solitair and board games sometimes, so the lack of the newest games on Linux doesn't bother me. I don't see why you all are having problems setting up Linux. I've done it on a number of computers and it's no more difficult than setting up Windows from scratch unless you choose to partition your disk yourself. Depending on the distro you use, it will sometimes give you more options than Windows does, such as whether you want to set up an office machine or a server or some other setup.

I notice that some of you have been trying Linux and find it boring. So? How much do you really use your operating system, whether it be Windows, Linux, MacOS or something else? I hardly ever use mine. I use applications. Operating systems should let you start the programs that you use and then get out of the way. Windows would be much better if Microsoft just understood that it's the programs that people use, not the OS. It seems ridiculous to me that you should need a minum of 1GHz processor, 1 GB of memory and 16 GB of disk space just for the OS. If you actually want to do something useful, you need more.

TonyB said:
I'd been using Windows 7 RC, but seeing as how I have 3 days before it starts shutting down on me every two hours, I've spent the last week or so trying to get Linux running.

Finally, last night, I got PCLinuxOS 2009.2 installed and running on my PC. Turns out, after a week or so of trying every possible install scenario, a PCI IDE card I had installed was screwin up the installer and crashing it every time. Removed the card and voila! flawless install... :lol

What programs I use? Not much, since I don't have the internet at my home any more. Typically just whatever's available for playin some music, watching videos, and making documents or whatever. I used to be a big PC gamer, but I rarely play anymore.

I'd like to get a Bible program for Linux though. Anyone know any good ones?

Bible Time.....
http://www.bibletime.info/

iMac i5 27"
Snow leopard Osx

virus scanner- ? whats that for

iTunes- love that, radio with no ads.
zbrush.
Photoshop cs 5 student edition

Bootcamp on same mac
win 7 to oprate -
Autocad
game demos for the kids
some freebie virus scanner thing

Windows 7
Firefox
IE 7 (don't like 8)
Chrome

Sibelius
Sonar Cakewalk
Audacity
Illumina Gold Premium (A Bible Study program)
Photoshop
Paint Shop Pro
Dreamweaver

On my notebook:
Windows Vista Business (sda)
openSUSE KDE 11.2 (sdb, don't use much)

Firefox
Chrome
IE
Safari
Opera
Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise
Adobe CS4 Web Premium
XAMPP
iTunes
Filezilla
Picasa
VLC media player
soooooo much freeware and random apps its ridiculous

As for my notebook:
Toshiba Satellite P300
4GB RAM
Intel Centrino 22.40 GHz
500GB HDD
17" WS

A fellow walked into a computer store and said he wanted a high-level mystery game, with lots of excellent graphics, and a difficult plot. He was willing to pay a high price for the game.

So they sold him a copy of Windows Vista.

A fellow walked into a computer store and said he wanted a high-level mystery game, with lots of excellent graphics, and a difficult plot. He was willing to pay a high price for the game.

So they sold him a copy of Windows Vista.
It's not that bad mate! It's been hyped up so much by the media.

What OS does your computer run, and what programs do you most frequently use?

Windows XP Service Pack 2

Huge amount of apps but ones I would recommend that maybe arn't so well known are:

Avast Free Version 9.0
Deep Freeze

I use these to in conjunction to defend against viruses. I have not had a virus in 7 years.

Deep Freeze is a programme that basically locks any drive you want. I use it to lock my C: drive where my OS is installed. Any files that make their way to that disk or anything that tries to install itself is immediatley deleted upon a reboot. Nothing can be installed permanently on the disk without first imputting your password and unfreezing the disk.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

It also means that you can't change any settings on your computer. Everything that you change on your system will go back to how they were before upon restart. Very useful if you have kids that like to bang on your keyboard and move icons around when your away.

Tag & Rename

Mp3 file tagger

Macdrive

Use mac formatted drives / ipods etc on your windows machine

VLC media player

Play all the AVI files that WMP can't find sound codecs for.

Acronis True Image

Schedule backups of important files / folders. Automatic backups. Very good.

BitTorrent

Great app for downloading....um......totally legal and uncopyrighted material. ;)

MagicDVDRipper

20 minutes per DVD rip. Thats pretty fast for Windows OS.

Camstasia

Ever wondered how people make videos of stuff they are doing on their computer? Camstasia is the answer.

I Hate This Key

I use to disable the 'windows' key for when I'm playing full screen games.

Easy Macro Recorder

Record a task you do on your computer. Then you can loop and repeat the task and speed it up. I use it for work. Saved years of time.

Copy Trans

Copy stuff from iPOD to Computer.

Thats all for now.

Doc.

Strangelove, I love to do all kinds of stuff to my computer so I don't think Deep Freeze is for me :biggrin

But I can 100% recommend VLC player - it even plays some of my iTunes stuff. :thumb

Strangelove, I love to do all kinds of stuff to my computer so I don't think Deep Freeze is for me

Ya.....me too. But like I say...so do my kids! Lolz. What I do is make a list of all the stuff I wanna change and then unfreeze once a month and change everything then lock it again. It's bearable. It's a password-reboot unlock-change settings-password-reboot lock procedure.

But I can 100% recommend VLC player - it even plays some of my iTunes stuff.

It rocks the stage. There are many useful options. Example...I have many foreign movies that I have to download subtitles for. Sometimes the subs dont match up to the movie timewise. With VLC you can shift the subtitles over or before the picture and synch it up.

You can also re-synch audio and picture for rips that are wonky.

It plays pretty much every file type. It's the bees knees.

Negatives:

Sometimes the programme doesnt quit properly?

Sometimes when I exit out of full screen my toolbar goes all black until I run my mouse over all of it.

Anyone else notice this? Maybe it's just my system.

Must be your system. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't seem to deal with playlists very well, but I don't mind that too much.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back