Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Our hope

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Guap

I live outside of my home country. Most years now I get at least one trip home. I look forward to going home. I know I will get to see my family. I know that some of the things that I grew up with will be there in the shops, the familiar tastes and smells. Before I go home, they are future things that I know will happen. In biblical language, these things are my ‘hope’ of home. They are good things I know I will get in the future.

For those who come into the kingdom of God, the future things we know will happen is our ‘hope’. These include knowing Jesus fully face to face and living with no more tears, loss, sickness or pain.

Sometimes I can get very comfortable where I live. I can forget about home and its hope because I’m so comfortable where I am and I have lots invested where I am. I have spent years living year, made friends and established new patterns for life.

It does make me wonder if I get too comfortable in this world. Sometimes, when the weather is warm, the beach looks gorgeous and I’m completely at peace, life is so good in this world that it is hard to imagine that our future hope is better.

Then sometimes things go wrong. It took almost three years to get a copy of my marriage certificate and every time I went to the government building to find out what is going on I longer for home with its smooth and efficient government processes.

It makes me think of when tragedy strikes people in this world. Somebody dies and all our past loss comes to the fore. We have to reconnect to our biblical hope. We long to be there and be reunited with our loved ones.

It leaves me wondering how often I forget the hope we have. It leaves me asking myself, am I too comfortable in this world? Have I got so much invested in this world that I don’t look forward to the next world?

All you have said is very true. I guess most believers feel the same way if their life is, as you say, comfortable. There are those who have not had a comfortable life. Their life has, for years, been filled with pain of some sort. SO, those look forward with great hope that soon, they will make that journey to their Heavenly Home where the Savior of our souls has prepared a place that is beyond our comprehension!

I wonder in how many churches, people such as yourself Chopper, really feel welcome?
Many churches, that I know, aren't very comfortable with Christians who aren't 'overcoming'!

There is nothing of this world I will miss for my eternal home is far greater than that of what I could ever imagine it to be................................no more pain, I'm up for that :woot2

I'm a lonely sojourner in a land that use to be, but is no more to me.

I am fearful of my predators, but protected by my Lord.

Shall I speak with words of kindness to the faces I never see or walk in tolerance of the ignorance of those who be.

I know who I am and that's all I need as the rest of this world in ignorance will be.

When the moon gives up it's light and the days grow dark then my Savior will rescue this sojourning Lark.

I wonder in how many churches, people such as yourself Chopper, really feel welcome?
Many churches, that I know, aren't very comfortable with Christians who aren't 'overcoming'!

Oh my friend, you just mentioned a great sin of our churches today. There are very few if any, who will someone who will reach out to a homeless person, or someone in a wheelchair, or someone who looks sad. You are right, unless you are an overcomer, upbeat, or other faking exercise, you are shunned. A few years ago, a few biker dud's and me entered a popular Pentecostal church and you'd think the Red Sea parted. No one greeted us, needless to say, we left!

Becoming comfortable with and in our surroundings is human nature, a part of the 'nesting' instinct we each have. Still, our focus must remain on our Lord and not on the material comforts of this world.

It also seems as though many of the churches today are just not very welcoming for visitors. I've heard of some churches who won't bother for three or four months to call on a visitor who filled out the little card, saying he or she wanted to become a member of the church. That's not how it should be. Greeters won't even look one in the eyes when they say 'good morning' or 'welcome'. So sad.

Back