Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Over-processing Food and Religion

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

eddif

Modern technology can do more harm than good.
IMHO

High temperatures:
Pressure Cooking
High smoke point oils
Lower temperature frying
Baking
Broiling
Turns some food into dextrine

Flour:
Raises glycemic index
Causes blood sugar spik

Microwave:
Nutrient damage
comments?

If food and religion are not recognized, they are probably over-processed.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

in a lot of cases removing the outer costing of (seeds, vegetables, and fruit) removes vitamins and fiber. Not only do we need vitamins, but our gut bacteria need fiber.

If a Bible doctrine is highly processed it has been stripped of nutrients and made sweet. Left alone scriptures contain things people consider offensive.
……..
Boy am I slow.
So we go back to Adam and Eve:
Gardeners that ate from the tree of life.

Then their diet was plants of the field.

People finally added animal food. (Hunter gathers?)

Finally Jesus said (man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God).

So back to the tree of life. ( Eat his body and drink his blood ). Word meal

1 Peter 2:24

Is that circular?

Mississippi redneck
eddif

We live in a very different world from the biblical or even from the world of the American civil war.
Commerce/cheap and convenience are the main drives for mass food today.

There is alot that can be done to improve one's health by means of a healthy diet.
The simplist is to stop using convience foods, by that I mean ready made or takeaway foods.

Strangely some aspects of processed foods are far better than buying fresh.
Frozen vegetables retain more vitamins etc than anything bought from a supermarket greengrocer section.

Healthy eating means cut out chocolate and deep fried snacks, eat a piece of fruit instead.
Portion size and second or third helpings another challenging area.

Then there is food waste, air miles and fair trade.

There is a lot to consider in ethical eating.

Eating correct foods is not really possible today.
The soil is mineral depleted
Foods are genetically modified
Rain washes nutrients away. ( no more moisture rising from ground). Animal food was added after the flood.

Just as salvation comes by grace, so does nutrition. Food is / was a shadow of things too come.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

I think a lot of this speaks to biblical themes of justice. The poor should not be oppressed. Oppression can include inadequate nutrition because of food costs and also illnesses from unsafe neighborhoods and workplace conditions, plus overall environmental problems that affect lower income communities first and with more intensity.
I dunno 🤷‍♂️ I’m poor but I don’t live in poverty now if that makes sense. If it wasn’t for my parents I’d maybe be in a group home 🏠 and not even in society. I remember when I was down and out how openly cruel people were to me and now it’s somewhat milder but tinged with more anger and resentment..,,

So I’m more into elements of so called liberation theology than many other Christians.

I think a lot of this speaks to biblical themes of justice. The poor should not be oppressed. Oppression can include inadequate nutrition because of food costs and also illnesses from unsafe neighborhoods and workplace conditions, plus overall environmental problems that affect lower income communities first and with more intensity.
I dunno 🤷‍♂️ I’m poor but I don’t live in poverty now if that makes sense. If it wasn’t for my parents I’d maybe be in a group home 🏠 and not even in society. I remember when I was down and out how openly cruel people were to me and now it’s somewhat milder but tinged with more anger and resentment..,,

So I’m more into elements of so called liberation theology than many other Christians.
2 Corinthians 5:8 kjv
8. We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

That liberation theology ? LOL

eddif

in a lot of cases removing the outer costing of (seeds, vegetables, and fruit) removes vitamins and fiber. Not only do we need vitamins, but our gut bacteria need fiber.

If a Bible doctrine is highly processed it has been stripped of nutrients and made sweet. Left alone scriptures contain things people consider offensive.
……..
Boy am I slow.
So we go back to Adam and Eve:
Gardeners that ate from the tree of life.

Then their diet was plants of the field.

People finally added animal food. (Hunter gathers?)

Finally Jesus said (man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God).

So back to the tree of life. ( Eat his body and drink his blood ). Word meal

1 Peter 2:24

Is that circular?

Mississippi redneck
eddif

My dietary principle is "he who doesn't cook (or bake), neither shall he eat." I never go to restaurant, never eat any packaged food, not even precooked frozen meals. I only spend money on raw meat and vegetables in the grocery store, and then time and effort in the kitchen, it often takes a whole afternoon to prepare casseroles, bread, soup, pie, salad and others - including a jar of cookies, then I just eat intuitively, i.e. consume when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I only eat two meals at morning and evening, and nothing else in between. Most importantly, right before meal, always give thanks to God with a grace prayer.

My dietary principle is "he who doesn't cook (or bake), neither shall he eat." I never go to restaurant, never eat any packaged food, not even precooked frozen meals. I only spend money on raw meat and vegetables in the grocery store, and then time and effort in the kitchen, it often takes a whole afternoon to prepare casseroles, bread, soup, pie, salad and others - including a jar of cookies, then I just eat intuitively, i.e. consume when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I only eat two meals at morning and evening, and nothing else in between. Most importantly, right before meal, always give thanks to God with a grace prayer.
So
Supermarket shelves are a lot like some sermons. I have run into good sermons and try to discuss it with the pastor. Come to find out it was someone else that had originally preached the sermon, and the local preacher had memorized the sermon, but really had little understanding about what it meant.
One preacher bought sermons.

Since some folks do not cook they do the best they can. That works too.

My skillet cooked fried looking eggs are really almost poached eggs. Temperature is so low it takes the egg about 4 minutes to cook. Olive oil then works fine. Same thing can be done with meat. Add water in skillet and extend cooking time. The meat is basically boiled with a 20 second scorch as the water goes away.

Over temperature grain becomes Dextrose (sugar).

Corn meal without lime treatment causes pellagra. (If you are only eating cornbread)

White rice without coating causes beriberi. (If you are only eating mainly white rice)

Of course I believe in miracles. I really do not depend on food alone. Food and drink are shadows of spiritual things.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

So
Supermarket shelves are a lot like some sermons. I have run into good sermons and try to discuss it with the pastor. Come to find out it was someone else that had originally preached the sermon, and the local preacher had memorized the sermon, but really had little understanding about what it meant.
One preacher bought sermons.

Since some folks do not cook they do the best they can. That works too.
Yes, we're biologically wired to take the path of least resistance, why do our own homeworks instead of copying others'? However it is written, broad is the way the leads to destruction, narrow is the gate that leads to eternal life. Some times I make pizza - from scratch, with flour, canned roma tomatoes, block of cheese and other vegetables, it takes hours to mix and puff the dough, cook the sauce, cool it down, grate the cheese, chop the vegetables, shape the dough, assemble all the ingredients and bake it, and the result is not as good as delivery, the crust too tough and the filling too salty, but this experience is satisfactory, way more satisfactory than spending the same several hours doom scrolling instagram, binge watching netflix or playing video games. It's the experiential, therapeutic process that brings me peace. That's the real reward which I give thanks to God for, the pizza itself is just added bonus.

The following is IMHO
GMO:
The Old Testament said bssically
Keep plants separated to keep cross pollination from happening.
Do not cook two similar beans together
Do not cook two different meats together.

Todays thoughts: (plants and animals)
Cause Genetic Modification
Force cross pollination / breeding
Use radiation
Use chemical treatments
Splice Genes
……..

Heritage seeds are super rare if at all x
Cows are A1 or A2. Of course we have the wrong ones. If even the right ones are actually the right ones.

Just by grace we live. Physically as well as Spiritually.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Yes, we're biologically wired to take the path of least resistance, why do our own homeworks instead of copying others'? However it is written, broad is the way the leads to destruction, narrow is the gate that leads to eternal life. Some times I make pizza - from scratch, with flour, canned roma tomatoes, block of cheese and other vegetables, it takes hours to mix and puff the dough, cook the sauce, cool it down, grate the cheese, chop the vegetables, shape the dough, assemble all the ingredients and bake it, and the result is not as good as delivery, the crust too tough and the filling too salty, but this experience is satisfactory, way more satisfactory than spending the same several hours doom scrolling instagram, binge watching netflix or playing video games. It's the experiential, therapeutic process that brings me peace. That's the real reward which I give thanks to God for, the pizza itself is just added bonus.
IMHO fine flour is terrible. The glycemic index is too high for some folks. Oh course I am one of those who eat gluten free.

The modern flour mill invention exactly seems to fit the beginning date of modern health issues.

Prayer works to handle food issues, better than our efforts. Or especially the answers we get through individual prayer are best for the individual.

eddif

The following is IMHO
GMO:
The Old Testament said bssically
Keep plants separated to keep cross pollination from happening.
Do not cook two similar beans together
Do not cook two different meats together.

Todays thoughts: (plants and animals)
Cause Genetic Modification
Force cross pollination / breeding
Use radiation
Use chemical treatments
Splice Genes
……..

Heritage seeds are super rare if at all x
Cows are A1 or A2. Of course we have the wrong ones. If even the right ones are actually the right ones.

Just by grace we live. Physically as well as Spiritually.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Yeah, God is a God of distinction, Babylon is a god of mixture. In the kashrut law, there're clean animals and unclean animals, the key difference is that clean animals have a certain diet, unclean animals eat all kinds of garbage, some like pigs and rabbits even eat their own poop, so it's quite reasonable to consider them unclean. The most puzzling part is the last line - "you shall not cook a kid goat in its mother's milk," which is commonly understood as separation of meat and dairy. There's no scientific evidence or logical reasoning to back this one, the only plausible explanation is the distinction principle - no mixing of life (milk) with death (meat).

IMHO fine flour is terrible. The glycemic index is too high for some folks. Oh course I am one of those who eat gluten free.

The modern flour mill invention exactly seems to fit the beginning date of modern health issues.

Prayer works to handle food issues, better than our efforts. Or especially the answers we get through individual prayer are best for the individual.

eddif
Maybe, but if whole wheat flour is the alternative, then it's not only more expensive, but it's harder to rise, since the tiny bits of bran disrupt gluten formation. The final product often lacks the fluffy texture and tastes a little sour.

Yeah, God is a God of distinction, Babylon is a god of mixture. In the kashrut law, there're clean animals and unclean animals, the key difference is that clean animals have a certain diet, unclean animals eat all kinds of garbage, some like pigs and rabbits even eat their own poop, so it's quite reasonable to consider them unclean. The most puzzling part is the last line - "you shall not cook a kid goat in its mother's milk," which is commonly understood as separation of meat and dairy. There's no scientific evidence or logical reasoning to back this one, the only plausible explanation is the distinction principle - no mixing of life (milk) with death (meat).
Since I am a gentile by birth .
Well sort of!

I was born physically into a gentile Christian family. What does that mean? Ignorant of Jewish law. Now the law of Moses was a transitional (stop Gap) time (till Christ be come.

As I describe the following feel free to make comments.

I should probably be able to write a book. I have not come to shedding as of blood yet ( I am working on that concept.

When I came to the concept of being a sinner (at 12 years old) I began reading the Bible (as I define it [let’s use [KJV]. No commentary or oral traditions written down.
I entered into reading the Old Testament and basically read only in order. Basically No New Testament. That basically makes you a Jew. The ptophets could set up being a messianic Jew, but I may get there later.

Finally I start reading the New Testament. Wow now I am reading this Jesus stuff. I don’t hear as much:
Clean unclean
Sabbath
Holy Days
Ceremony's
Law of Moses

I become convinced Jesus died for the sins I discovered at 12. Now at 24 I am declared forgiven (clean).
But I am still a Jewish diet nut (in a gentile sort of way).

When I really start reading the Bible over and over and skip around. Suddenly reading I start speaking in tongues. To me out of a clear blue sky. I never had a Pentecostal explanation and did not exactly understand Pentecostals.

Then low these many years later I am a Jewish Gentile Christian. Really as one you are an outcast in all organized religion.

Messianic Jews think you are almost there.
Reformed Christian’s think you are almost there. I think we must use the law lawfully. Both groups think (what is that?).

Anyway
Dietary stuff is a way of having hints at how to control our thoughts to clean thought areas(which I sometimes violate). I confess my sins one to another and do not broadcast them.

It is not what goes into a man that condemns man but what comes out.

The in the mother’s milk thing.
The authorities wanted to kill Jesus when he was an infant (in the time of his mother’s milk). Jesus was taken into Egypt to preserve his life for 3 1/2 years.
I can do it through using months. I think Revelstion 22 does a good job, but some do not read it that way.

In health area we may get by talking about the dietary law of the mind.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Deuteronomy 22:6 kjv
6. If a bird's nest chance to be before thee in the way in any tree, or on the ground, whether they be young ones, or eggs, and the dam sitting upon the young, or upon the eggs, thou shalt not take the dam with the young:
7. But thou shalt in any wise let the dam go, and take the young to thee; that it may be well with thee, and that thou mayest prolong thy days.

Using the law is not about strict written in stone interpretation, but where the spirit of Gid is there is liberty. Not liberty of doing evil but using symbolism to see reality.
The seed is the word of God
The ground is men’s hearts

eddif

So, if you're invited to someone's home and they set a table before you, you refuse to eat because they cooked it and not you?

So, if you're invited to someone's home and they set a table before you, you refuse to eat because they cooked it and not you?
Let’s complicate all this.

The Jew has to understand the change in covenants, and the gentile can benefit from the oracles of God.

Out of Jew and gentile God has made one new man .

I once had a teacher of which was said:
The right way the wrong way, and Harris’s way.

Maybe I try to do it eddif’s way. LOL

Peter was on a gospel journey. He had by commandment eat what was set before him. We respect the conscience of others.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Christ_empowered I finally got to what you spoke of. In post 14. Especially how we ruin the diet of the young and poor.

Religion is so processed the person young in the faith starves on most processed religious statements.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Since I am a gentile by birth .
Well sort of!

I was born physically into a gentile Christian family. What does that mean? Ignorant of Jewish law. Now the law of Moses was a transitional (stop Gap) time (till Christ be come.

As I describe the following feel free to make comments.

I should probably be able to write a book. I have not come to shedding as of blood yet ( I am working on that concept.

When I came to the concept of being a sinner (at 12 years old) I began reading the Bible (as I define it [let’s use [KJV]. No commentary or oral traditions written down.
I entered into reading the Old Testament and basically read only in order. Basically No New Testament. That basically makes you a Jew. The ptophets could set up being a messianic Jew, but I may get there later.

Finally I start reading the New Testament. Wow now I am reading this Jesus stuff. I don’t hear as much:
Clean unclean
Sabbath
Holy Days
Ceremony's
Law of Moses

I become convinced Jesus died for the sins I discovered at 12. Now at 24 I am declared forgiven (clean).
But I am still a Jewish diet nut (in a gentile sort of way).

When I really start reading the Bible over and over and skip around. Suddenly reading I start speaking in tongues. To me out of a clear blue sky. I never had a Pentecostal explanation and did not exactly understand Pentecostals.

Then low these many years later I am a Jewish Gentile Christian. Really as one you are an outcast in all organized religion.

Messianic Jews think you are almost there.
Reformed Christian’s think you are almost there. I think we must use the law lawfully. Both groups think (what is that?).

Anyway
Dietary stuff is a way of having hints at how to control our thoughts to clean thought areas(which I sometimes violate). I confess my sins one to another and do not broadcast them.

It is not what goes into a man that condemns man but what comes out.

The in the mother’s milk thing.
The authorities wanted to kill Jesus when he was an infant (in the time of his mother’s milk). Jesus was taken into Egypt to preserve his life for 3 1/2 years.
I can do it through using months. I think Revelstion 22 does a good job, but some do not read it that way.

In health area we may get by talking about the dietary law of the mind.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Such labels mean nothing to me, they just cause division. God works all things for my good, I trust in him as I believe that all his instructions are beneficial to me and others.

Back