Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

PERSEVERANCE OF THE SAINTS

electedbyHim

Elected by Him
Calvinism Overseer
The following study I have haf for quite sometime and am not certain of the author. I have edited the study because it is very lengthy and wanted to fit it in one post.

Perseverance of the Saints, or once saved, always saved, is a very hated doctrine along with the rest of the Doctrines of Grace. Many will call these doctrines heresy.

I have always questioned how the doctrines are heresy, when all they do is bring glory to God and not man.

Many will want to refute this doctrine and debate it, which is fine.

Those that want to refute it to please take the time and read through the study before commenting.

Please keep the comments respectful and whatever your position, lets give all the glory to our Sovereign God.

Arminian Position: All who believe and are truly saved can lose their salvation.Sinners can lose their salvation by failing to keep up their faith, by falling into a state of serious sin, etc.

Antinomian Position: (Also known as "Easy Believism") All who make a profession of faith are eternally secure, whether or not they keep up their faith.
Reformed Position: All who are chosen by God, redeemed by Christ, and regenerated by the Holy Spirit are eternally saved. They are kept in Faith by the Power of Almighty God and therefore continue to persevere in faith.

PRINCIPLES THAT SHOULD GOVERN OUR THINKING ON THIS SUBJECT:

The Bible teaches that those who are born-again will continue trusting in Christ forever. God, by His own power through the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, keeps or preserves the believer forever. This wonderful truth is seen in Ephesians 1:13-14:

In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.

When we are born again, we receive the promised indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit that is God’s guarantee that He who began a good work in us will complete it:

Php 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

In order for us to lose our salvation after receiving the promised Holy Spirit, God would have to break His promise or renege on His “guarantee,” which He cannot do. Therefore the believer is eternally secure because God is eternally faithful. The teaching of the Bible is that perseverance is both absolutely necessary and absolutely certain. If we emphasize either of these truths to the exclusion of the other, we are no longer on solid biblical ground.

PERSEVERANCE IS NECESSARY -- only those who persevere in faith and holiness are truly saints (Matthew 7:21-3, 10:22, 13:18-23; Luke 8:4-8, 11-15; John 8:31-32,15:4-6; 1 Corinthians 15:1-2; Colossians 1:22-23; Hebrews 3:6, 14, 6:4-6, 10:35-39; 2 Peter 2:20-22.

PERSEVERANCE IS CERTAIN -- all of those who are truly saints will surely persevere in faith and holiness to the end (John 6:37, 39-40, 10: 27-30; Romans 8:1, 28-39; Philippians 1:6; 1 Peter 1:3-5; 1 John 3:3, 5:18).

The Person Who Truly Believes In Jesus Christ HAS New Life That Is ETERNAL.
Jn.3:16; Jn.3:36; Jn.5:24; Jn.6:47; Jn.6:51; Jn.11.25;1Jn.5:13;1Peter.1:23

All those who come to genuine saving faith in Christ are kept secure in him for eternity by the Power of God.John.6:35-40; Jn.17:11-12; Jn.17:15; Rom.8:29-30; Rom.8:35-39; 1Cor.1:8; Eph.1:5; Eph.1:13-14; Eph.4:30; Phil.1:6; 1Peter.1:3-5

True Believers WILL Persevere To The End In Faith And Obedience By The Power Of The Holy Spirit.
Jn.14:21; Jn.15:1-11; Eph.2:10; 1Peter.5:10; 2Peter.1:10; Phil.2:12-13; Phil.3:12-15; 1Jn.3:9; 1Jn.5:18; Heb.5:11 - Heb.6:12; 1Jn.2:19; 1Jn.2:25

THE PURPOSE, WORK, AND CHARACTER OF GOD THE FATHER MAKE THE SAINT'S PERSEVERANCE CERTAIN.

He has purposed the final salvation (as well as all the steps leading to it) of every genuine believer:
  • He has marked out a people to be redeemed by Christ.
  • He has foreknown (set His love on) His people from eternity.
  • He has predestined all His people to glory.
  • His purpose is always accomplished (Isaiah 46:9-11; Daniel 4:35; Proverbs 19:21;Psalm 115:3)

His righteous demands do not change. Once His righteous demands have been fully satisfied, we do not need to concern ourselves with further legal liability.

THE WORK OF CHRIST MAKES THE SAINT'S PERSEVERANCE CERTAIN.

Since God is righteous, He cannot charge us with those sins for which Christ has already suffered
(1 John 1:9-2:1).
Not only did Christ's death for His people deliver us from the penalty of sin; it also delivered us from the reigning power of sin, thus assuring our perseverance.

The understanding of this doctrine really comes from understanding the unique and special love that God has for His children. Romans 8:28-39 tells us that:

1) no one can bring a charge against God’s elect;
2) nothing can separate the elect from the love of Christ;
3) God makes everything work together for the good of the elect; and
4) all whom God saves will be glorified. God loves His children (the elect) so much that nothing can separate them from Him. Of course this same truth is seen in many other passages of Scripture as well.

In John 10:27-30 Jesus says: “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one." Again in John 6:37-47 we see Jesus stating that everyone that the Father gives to the Son will come to Him and He will raise all of them up at the last day.

There is really very little scriptural basis that can be used to argue against the eternal security of the believer. While there are a few verses that, if not considered in their context, might give the impression that one could “fall from grace” or lose their salvation, when these verses are carefully considered in context it is clear that is not the case. Many people know someone who at one time expressed faith in Christ and who might have appeared to be a genuine Christian who later departed from the faith and now wants to have nothing to do with Christ or His church. These people might even deny the very existence of God. For those that do not want to accept what the Bible says about the security of the believer these types of people are proof that the doctrine of eternal security cannot be right. However, the Bible indicates otherwise and it teaches that people such as those who profess Christ as Savior at one time only to later walk away and deny Christ, were never truly saved in the first place. For example 1 John 2:19 says, "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out from us, in order that it might be made manifest that they all are not truly of us." The Bible is also clear that not everyone who professes to be a Christian truly is. Jesus Himself says that not everyone who says “Lord, Lord” will enter the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 7:21-22). Rather than proving we can lose our salvation, those people who profess Christ and fall away simply reinforces the importance of testing our salvation to make sure we are in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5) and making our calling and election sure by continually examining our lives to make sure we are growing in godliness (2 Peter 1:10).

One of the misconceptions about the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints is that it will lead to “carnal Christians” who believe that since they are eternally secure they can live whatever licentious lifestyle they wish and still be saved. But that is a misunderstanding of the doctrine and what the Bible teaches. A person who believes they can live any way they want because they have professed Christ is not demonstrating true saving faith (1 John 2:3-4). Our eternal security rests on the biblical teaching that those whom God justifies, He will also glorify (Romans 8:29-30). Those who are saved will indeed be conformed to the image of Christ through the process of sanctification (1 Corinthians 6:11). When a person is saved, the Holy Spirit breaks the bondage of sin and gives the believer a new heart and a desire to seek holiness. Therefore a true Christian will desire to be obedient to God and will be convicted by the Holy Spirit when they sin. They will never “live any way they want” because such behavior is impossible for someone who has been given a new nature (1 Corinthians 5:17).

By perseverance the snail reached the ark.- C.H. Spurgeon

How comforting it is to know that we as Christians can never lose our salvation. The Lord is continually holding us up, as Holy Spirit leads us through trials and tribulations. Many will,and have said that T.U.L.I.P is heresey, a false and evil teaching. God making man a robot, this is what I say, Lord use me as a puppetmaster would use a puppet. This is complete love the Creator has for His creation.

Westminster Confession of Faith XVII, 1
They whom God has accepted in His Beloved, effectually called, and sanctified by His Spirit, can neither totally nor finally fall away from the state of grace, but shall certainly persevere therein to the end, and be eternally saved.

Eternal Security and “free will” are mutually exclusive

1. John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one [not even the imagined “free will” of the sheep] will snatch them out of my hand. Sheep are chosen by a shepherd, not vice versa.
  2. Ephesians 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. If a believer has been sealed then his salvation is guaranteed. “Free will” would imply that one could change his mind and no longer believe. Could one possibly break the seal that God has applied? This seems highly improbable.
  3. If one had free will to choose to believe, then one assumes one has free will to change one’s mind and stop believing and then start again. This would conflict with the doctrine of eternal security and sealing; or indicate the “free will” is eviscerated upon conversion. A serious theological problem would arise if Spirit’s baptism could be repeated. A believer would somehow have to be removed from the body of Christ in order to be baptized into it again. And, of course, regeneration or the impartation of spiritual life by the Holy Spirit and His subsequent permanent indwelling would preclude any thought of losing one’s salvation or of forfeiting the Spirit’s residence within the believer.
  4. An Arminian who affirms that someone can lose their salvation is delving into very dangerous waters because this means they believe Jesus is not sufficient to save completely, but that we must somehow attain or maintain our own just standing before God. Arminianism assertion in this area promotes the idea the God shares His glory with man as God needs man to complete the process of salvation.
  5. Logically, those who believe they can lose their salvation should seriously consider suicide as a remedy to a possible destiny of eternity in hell should the lose their salvation while alive.
  6. God is the cause of all things. God is NEVER affect by the decisions of man. Thus, one cannot lose their salvation.
  • Job 22:2 “Can a vigorous man be of use to God, Or a wise man be useful to himself? 3 “Is it any pleasure or joy to the Almighty that you are righteous? Or is it of benefit to Him that you make your ways perfect? Romans 11:34-35;
  • Job 41:11 Who has first given to Me, that I should repay him? Whatever is under the whole heavens is Mine.

Eternal Security and “free will” are mutually exclusive

1. John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one [not even the imagined “free will” of the sheep] will snatch them out of my hand. Sheep are chosen by a shepherd, not vice versa.
  2. Ephesians 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. If a believer has been sealed then his salvation is guaranteed. “Free will” would imply that one could change his mind and no longer believe. Could one possibly break the seal that God has applied? This seems highly improbable.
  3. If one had free will to choose to believe, then one assumes one has free will to change one’s mind and stop believing and then start again. This would conflict with the doctrine of eternal security and sealing; or indicate the “free will” is eviscerated upon conversion. A serious theological problem would arise if Spirit’s baptism could be repeated. A believer would somehow have to be removed from the body of Christ in order to be baptized into it again. And, of course, regeneration or the impartation of spiritual life by the Holy Spirit and His subsequent permanent indwelling would preclude any thought of losing one’s salvation or of forfeiting the Spirit’s residence within the believer.
  4. An Arminian who affirms that someone can lose their salvation is delving into very dangerous waters because this means they believe Jesus is not sufficient to save completely, but that we must somehow attain or maintain our own just standing before God. Arminianism assertion in this area promotes the idea the God shares His glory with man as God needs man to complete the process of salvation.
  5. Logically, those who believe they can lose their salvation should seriously consider suicide as a remedy to a possible destiny of eternity in hell should the lose their salvation while alive.
  6. God is the cause of all things. God is NEVER affect by the decisions of man. Thus, one cannot lose their salvation.
  • Job 22:2 “Can a vigorous man be of use to God, Or a wise man be useful to himself? 3 “Is it any pleasure or joy to the Almighty that you are righteous? Or is it of benefit to Him that you make your ways perfect? Romans 11:34-35;
  • Job 41:11 Who has first given to Me, that I should repay him? Whatever is under the whole heavens is Mine.
This right here....

1. An Arminian who affirms that someone can lose their salvation is delving into very dangerous waters because this means they believe Jesus is not sufficient to save completely, but that we must somehow attain or maintain our own just standing before God. Arminianism assertion in this area promotes the idea the God shares His glory with man as God needs man to complete the process of salvation.

Just…a side note 🎵

I noticed some odd overlaps between Pentecostal believers and Catholic believers. This is odd mostly because of the contempt many Pentecostal believers have for Catholicism. Church ⛪️ itself seemed to play a huge role in the Pentecostal believers life and faith. Some Pentecostal believers seemed to really truly believe in the power of church itself to instill faith and build faith and sustain faith.

Another thing…

Free will believers seemed to almost use scripture plus what I suppose could be termed positive psychology to strengthen their inner resolve…

To keep believing that Jesus has saved them and now they have to continue believing…

Because Jesus only saved them after they made a decision for Christ.

I’m beginning to think that charismatic leaders are heretical. I’m also wondering 🤔 if there isn’t too much emo manipulation going on in the charismatic churches and ministries…

Just…a side note 🎵

I noticed some odd overlaps between Pentecostal believers and Catholic believers. This is odd mostly because of the contempt many Pentecostal believers have for Catholicism. Church ⛪️ itself seemed to play a huge role in the Pentecostal believers life and faith. Some Pentecostal believers seemed to really truly believe in the power of church itself to instill faith and build faith and sustain faith.

Another thing…

Free will believers seemed to almost use scripture plus what I suppose could be termed positive psychology to strengthen their inner resolve…

To keep believing that Jesus has saved them and now they have to continue believing…

Because Jesus only saved them after they made a decision for Christ.

I’m beginning to think that charismatic leaders are heretical. I’m also wondering 🤔 if there isn’t too much emo manipulation going on in the charismatic churches and ministries…
Most of the Pentecostal/charismatic churches I have been to play on the emotions. Their belief is mostly Arminian. I believe that there are Pentecostals that do believe in the Doctrines of Grace., just like many Baptists and so on.

SECURING WORK OF THE FATHER

Believers are secure because the Father has chosen them to salvation from eternity past (Eph. 1:4). The Father predestined believers to come to the status of sonship in Christ (Eph. 1:5). The Father has the power to keep believers secure in their salvation (Rom. 8:28–30). The ones the Father foreknew, predestined, called, and justified are the same ones He brings to glorification in the future. None are lost in the process. The Father’s love for believers also guarantees their security (Rom. 5:7–10).

SECURING WORK OF THE SON

The Son has redeemed the believer (Eph. 1:7), removed the wrath of God from the believer (Rom. 3:25), justified the believer (Rom. 5:1), provided forgiveness (Col. 2:13), and sanctified the believer (1 Cor. 1:2). Moreover, Christ prays for believers to be with Him (John 17:24); He continues to be their Advocate at God’s bar of justice (1 John 2:1); and He continues to make intercession as the believer’s High Priest (Heb. 7:25). If a believer could be lost it would imply Christ is ineffective in His work as the believer’s Mediator.

SECURING WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

The Holy Spirit has regenerated the believer, giving him life (Tit. 3:5); the Holy Spirit indwells the believer forever (John 14:17); He has sealed the believer for the day of redemption (Eph. 4:30), the sealing being a down payment, guaranteeing our future inheritance; the believer is baptized into union with Christ and into the body of believers (1 Cor. 12:13).
For a believer to lose his salvation would demand a reversal and an undoing of all the preceding works of the Father, Son, and Spirit. The key issue in the discussion of the believer’s security concerns the issue of who does the saving. If man is responsible for securing his salvation, then he can be lost; if God secures the person’s salvation, then the person is forever secure.
The eternal security of the believer by the grace of God is the completion and crowning glory of God’s plan of salvation

Enns, P. P. (1997, c1989). The Moody handbook of theology (340). Chicago, Ill.: Moody Press.

God, who is rich in mercy, from his immutable purpose of election, does not wholly take away his Holy Spirit from his own, even in lamentable falls; nor does he so permit them to glide down that they should fall from the grace of adoption and the state of justification; or commit the “sin unto death,” or against the Holy Spirit; that, being deserted by him, they should cast themselves headlong into eternal destruction. So that not by their own merits or strength, but by the gratuitous mercy of God, they obtain it, that they neither totally fall from faith and grace, nor finally continue in their falls and perish.26

26 26. McClintock and Strong, “Calvinism,” in Cyclopaedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature, 2:44.
Enns, P. P. (1997, c1989). The Moody handbook of theology (485). Chicago, Ill.: Moody Press.

The denial of the doctrine of perseverance virtually makes the salvation of man dependent on the human will rather than on the grace of God.
Louis Berkhof

There is nothing which so certifies the genuineness of a man’s faith as his patience and his patient endurance, his keeping on steadily in spite of everything.
Martyn Lloyd-Jones

If I did not believe the doctrine of the final perseverance of the saints, I think I should be of all men the most miserable, because I should lack any ground for comfort.
C.H. Spurgeon

They are not alone. It is possible to trade one bad lot for another. Yes, many Pentecostal assemblies are deeply Babylonish, but non-charismatic congregations can be graveyards of dead religion.

God is our Waymaker. He gives us ways to worship Him and have fellowship regardless of the flawed institutions that would have us believe their way is the right way.

The following study I have haf for quite sometime and am not certain of the author. I have edited the study because it is very lengthy and wanted to fit it in one post.

Perseverance of the Saints, or once saved, always saved, is a very hated doctrine along with the rest of the Doctrines of Grace. Many will call these doctrines heresy.

I have always questioned how the doctrines are heresy, when all they do is bring glory to God and not man.

Many will want to refute this doctrine and debate it, which is fine.

Those that want to refute it to please take the time and read through the study before commenting.

Please keep the comments respectful and whatever your position, lets give all the glory to our Sovereign God.

Arminian Position: All who believe and are truly saved can lose their salvation.Sinners can lose their salvation by failing to keep up their faith, by falling into a state of serious sin, etc.

Antinomian Position: (Also known as "Easy Believism") All who make a profession of faith are eternally secure, whether or not they keep up their faith.
Reformed Position: All who are chosen by God, redeemed by Christ, and regenerated by the Holy Spirit are eternally saved. They are kept in Faith by the Power of Almighty God and therefore continue to persevere in faith.

PRINCIPLES THAT SHOULD GOVERN OUR THINKING ON THIS SUBJECT:

The Bible teaches that those who are born-again will continue trusting in Christ forever. God, by His own power through the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, keeps or preserves the believer forever. This wonderful truth is seen in Ephesians 1:13-14:

In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.

When we are born again, we receive the promised indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit that is God’s guarantee that He who began a good work in us will complete it:

Php 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

In order for us to lose our salvation after receiving the promised Holy Spirit, God would have to break His promise or renege on His “guarantee,” which He cannot do. Therefore the believer is eternally secure because God is eternally faithful. The teaching of the Bible is that perseverance is both absolutely necessary and absolutely certain. If we emphasize either of these truths to the exclusion of the other, we are no longer on solid biblical ground.

PERSEVERANCE IS NECESSARY -- only those who persevere in faith and holiness are truly saints (Matthew 7:21-3, 10:22, 13:18-23; Luke 8:4-8, 11-15; John 8:31-32,15:4-6; 1 Corinthians 15:1-2; Colossians 1:22-23; Hebrews 3:6, 14, 6:4-6, 10:35-39; 2 Peter 2:20-22.

PERSEVERANCE IS CERTAIN -- all of those who are truly saints will surely persevere in faith and holiness to the end (John 6:37, 39-40, 10: 27-30; Romans 8:1, 28-39; Philippians 1:6; 1 Peter 1:3-5; 1 John 3:3, 5:18).

The Person Who Truly Believes In Jesus Christ HAS New Life That Is ETERNAL.
Jn.3:16; Jn.3:36; Jn.5:24; Jn.6:47; Jn.6:51; Jn.11.25;1Jn.5:13;1Peter.1:23

All those who come to genuine saving faith in Christ are kept secure in him for eternity by the Power of God.John.6:35-40; Jn.17:11-12; Jn.17:15; Rom.8:29-30; Rom.8:35-39; 1Cor.1:8; Eph.1:5; Eph.1:13-14; Eph.4:30; Phil.1:6; 1Peter.1:3-5

True Believers WILL Persevere To The End In Faith And Obedience By The Power Of The Holy Spirit.
Jn.14:21; Jn.15:1-11; Eph.2:10; 1Peter.5:10; 2Peter.1:10; Phil.2:12-13; Phil.3:12-15; 1Jn.3:9; 1Jn.5:18; Heb.5:11 - Heb.6:12; 1Jn.2:19; 1Jn.2:25

THE PURPOSE, WORK, AND CHARACTER OF GOD THE FATHER MAKE THE SAINT'S PERSEVERANCE CERTAIN.

He has purposed the final salvation (as well as all the steps leading to it) of every genuine believer:
  • He has marked out a people to be redeemed by Christ.
  • He has foreknown (set His love on) His people from eternity.
  • He has predestined all His people to glory.
  • His purpose is always accomplished (Isaiah 46:9-11; Daniel 4:35; Proverbs 19:21;Psalm 115:3)

His righteous demands do not change. Once His righteous demands have been fully satisfied, we do not need to concern ourselves with further legal liability.

THE WORK OF CHRIST MAKES THE SAINT'S PERSEVERANCE CERTAIN.

Since God is righteous, He cannot charge us with those sins for which Christ has already suffered
(1 John 1:9-2:1).
Not only did Christ's death for His people deliver us from the penalty of sin; it also delivered us from the reigning power of sin, thus assuring our perseverance.

The understanding of this doctrine really comes from understanding the unique and special love that God has for His children. Romans 8:28-39 tells us that:

1) no one can bring a charge against God’s elect;
2) nothing can separate the elect from the love of Christ;
3) God makes everything work together for the good of the elect; and
4) all whom God saves will be glorified. God loves His children (the elect) so much that nothing can separate them from Him. Of course this same truth is seen in many other passages of Scripture as well.

In John 10:27-30 Jesus says: “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one." Again in John 6:37-47 we see Jesus stating that everyone that the Father gives to the Son will come to Him and He will raise all of them up at the last day.

There is really very little scriptural basis that can be used to argue against the eternal security of the believer. While there are a few verses that, if not considered in their context, might give the impression that one could “fall from grace” or lose their salvation, when these verses are carefully considered in context it is clear that is not the case. Many people know someone who at one time expressed faith in Christ and who might have appeared to be a genuine Christian who later departed from the faith and now wants to have nothing to do with Christ or His church. These people might even deny the very existence of God. For those that do not want to accept what the Bible says about the security of the believer these types of people are proof that the doctrine of eternal security cannot be right. However, the Bible indicates otherwise and it teaches that people such as those who profess Christ as Savior at one time only to later walk away and deny Christ, were never truly saved in the first place. For example 1 John 2:19 says, "They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out from us, in order that it might be made manifest that they all are not truly of us." The Bible is also clear that not everyone who professes to be a Christian truly is. Jesus Himself says that not everyone who says “Lord, Lord” will enter the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 7:21-22). Rather than proving we can lose our salvation, those people who profess Christ and fall away simply reinforces the importance of testing our salvation to make sure we are in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5) and making our calling and election sure by continually examining our lives to make sure we are growing in godliness (2 Peter 1:10).

One of the misconceptions about the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints is that it will lead to “carnal Christians” who believe that since they are eternally secure they can live whatever licentious lifestyle they wish and still be saved. But that is a misunderstanding of the doctrine and what the Bible teaches. A person who believes they can live any way they want because they have professed Christ is not demonstrating true saving faith (1 John 2:3-4). Our eternal security rests on the biblical teaching that those whom God justifies, He will also glorify (Romans 8:29-30). Those who are saved will indeed be conformed to the image of Christ through the process of sanctification (1 Corinthians 6:11). When a person is saved, the Holy Spirit breaks the bondage of sin and gives the believer a new heart and a desire to seek holiness. Therefore a true Christian will desire to be obedient to God and will be convicted by the Holy Spirit when they sin. They will never “live any way they want” because such behavior is impossible for someone who has been given a new nature (1 Corinthians 5:17).

By perseverance the snail reached the ark.- C.H. Spurgeon

How comforting it is to know that we as Christians can never lose our salvation. The Lord is continually holding us up, as Holy Spirit leads us through trials and tribulations. Many will,and have said that T.U.L.I.P is heresey, a false and evil teaching. God making man a robot, this is what I say, Lord use me as a puppetmaster would use a puppet. This is complete love the Creator has for His creation.

Westminster Confession of Faith XVII, 1
They whom God has accepted in His Beloved, effectually called, and sanctified by His Spirit, can neither totally nor finally fall away from the state of grace, but shall certainly persevere therein to the end, and be eternally saved.
I wish there as a fourth POSITION I could subscribe to.
All 3 of yours, have weak spots.

SOME COMMON MISUNDERSTANDINGS

Yet we do not want to distort the doctrine of perseverance by over-simplifying it, as some do. We want to understand it as it is taught in Scripture, and this means that first we need to eliminate some common misunderstandings.

1. Perseverance does not mean that Christians are exempted from all spiritual danger just because they are Christians.

On the contrary, the opposite is true. They are in even greater danger, because now that they are Christians, the world and the devil will be doggedly set against them and will try to destroy them—and would destroy them, if that were possible. One of the greatest statements of the believer’s eternal security in the entire Bible is Romans 8:35-39. But this section of Scripture is bold in listing the dangers Christians face. Paul writes of trouble, hardship, persecution, famine, nakedness, danger, and sword, concluding, “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered” (v. 36, quoting Ps.44:22). But in spite of these many hostile forces, the Christian will be kept by God’s power and love. It is because we really do face these spiritual dangers that the doctrine of perseverance is so important.

2. Perseverance does not mean that Christians are always kept from falling into sin, just because they are Christians.

Sadly, Christians do sin. Noah fell into drunkenness. Abraham lied about his wife Sarah, claiming that she was his sister rather than his wife, thinking to protect his own life. David committed adultery and then arranged for the murder of Uriah, Bathsheba’s husband. Peter denied the Lord. These examples lead us to conclude that perseverance does not mean that Christians will not fall, only that they will not fall away. Jesus predicted Peter’s denial, but he added, “I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers” (Luke 22:32).

Loraine Boettner points out that the elect are often like the prodigal son in that they are deluded by the world and led astray by their own corrupt desires. They waste their substance on wrong living. They feed on the world’s husks, which do not satisfy. But sooner or later they come to their senses and say, “How many of my father’s hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you” (Luke 15:17-18). And when they return they find a loving Father and a joyful reception. Boettner says that “this is a thoroughly Calvinistic parable in that the prodigal was a son, and could not lose that relationship. Those who are not sons never have the desire to arise and go to the Father.”1

3. Perseverance does not mean that those who merely profess Christ without actually being born again are secure.

We live in a day when many claim to be Christians but are destitute of any true knowledge of the faith and any genuine Christian experience or character. Others know a great deal about religion and may be able to pass even the strictest examination for church membership. But knowledge like this is no guarantee that the individual is actually saved, and membership in a church is no guarantee, either. None who are in any of these categories of religious profession can assume that the doctrine of perseverance applies to them.

This sad truth explains the many warnings that appear in Scripture to the effect that we should give diligent attention to make our “calling and election sure” (2 Pet. 1:10). Jesus’ statements are among the most direct. For example, he said, “All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved” (Matt. 10:22). We are able to stand firm only because God perseveres with us. But it is also true that we must stand firm. In fact, the final perseverance of believers is the only ultimate proof that we have been chosen by God and truly have been born again.

The Christian doctrine of perseverance does not lead to a false assurance or presumption, though some who claim to be saved presume on God by their sinful lifestyles and willful disobedience. Perseverance does not make us lazy. As Calvin insisted, “It is not enough that God should choose any people for himself, except the people themselves persevere in the obedience of faith.”2 Nor does per-severance make us proud.

The doctrine of perseverance is precisely what Paul declares it to be in Romans 8, namely, that those whom God has foreknown and predestinated to be conformed to the likeness of his Son will indeed come to that great consummation. They will be harassed and constantly tempted. Frequently, they will fall. Nevertheless, in the end they will be with Jesus and will be made like him, because this is the destiny that God in his sovereign and inexplicable love has predetermined for them, and because he accomplishes this end through his sovereign acts of calling, regenerating, justifying, and glorifying the believer.

This doctrine has a logical connection to the other Calvinistic distinctives, of course. Because we are radically depraved and because salvation depends on God’s sovereign acts in our salvation, we have a security that is based on his ability and will rather than our own. If salvation depended in any measure on what we were able to do or con-tribute to it, we would not be secure at all. But there is a strange anomaly in contemporary evangelicalism at this point. The great majority of evangelicals are theologically Arminian. That is, they do not believe in radical depravity or election. They believe that the deciding factor in whether a person becomes a Christian and is saved is not God’s regenerating power but the individual’s free will, by which he can choose either to believe or disbelieve. In other words, he is able to put himself into the kingdom or keep himself out. But in spite of this synergistic (see chapter 1) and ultimately man-determined theology, most evangelicals nevertheless believe in perseverance, insisting that when a person is once saved, he is saved forever. It is a correct point, but Arminian theology provides no basis for it.

The Westminster Confession of Faith rightly and wisely grounds our security in God’s acts when it says of perseverance, “They whom God hath accepted in his Beloved, effectually called and sanctified by his Spirit, can neither totally nor finally fall away from the state of grace; but shall certainly persevere therein to the end, and be eternally saved” (Chap. 17, Sec. 1).

1 Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination (Philadelphia: Presbyterian and Reformed, 1963), 189.

2 John Calvin, The Commentaries of John Calvin on the Prophet Hosea, Calvin’s Commentaries, vol. 13 (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Baker, 1999), 83.

James Montgomery Boice, Philip Graham Ryken, and R. C. Sproul, The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books, 2002).

I wish you could understand the profit of rebirth from God's seed.
His seed cannot bring forth liars, thieves, adulterers, or murderers.
Sinners have not been reborn of God's seed.
But repentance from sin and the washing away of past sins will be available to them when they are ready to serve THE Master.

I wish you could understand the profit of rebirth from God's seed.
His seed cannot bring forth liars, thieves, adulterers, or murderers.
Sinners have not been reborn of God's seed.
But repentance from sin and the washing away of past sins will be available to them when they are ready to serve THE Master.
You are in Calvinism and not allowed to post here because you do not know or understand the doctrine.

Also your post has nothing to do with the OP.

I will not give you another warning, I will just remove you.

You are in Calvinism and not allowed to post here because you do not know or understand the doctrine.

Also your post has nothing to do with the OP.

I will not give you another warning, I will just remove you.
OK, thanks for the heads up.
When I reply to a "New Posts" notification, (the "bell" on the upper right of the page), there is no difference made between separate forums.
So I end up just replying to the last entry.

Back