Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Perspicuity of Scripture

Say we have two people, one who holds to an Arminian perspective of Scripture and the other who holds to a Calvinistic interpretation of Scripture. They are debating on Romans 9 and what the chapter actually means, and both mean claim to have received the Holy Spirit's guidance in coming to the respective positions.

Is your going to pray to God an ultimate arbiter to the truth on that matter, which one is accurate and which one is not?
It would seem to be that this is an issue potentially closer to sola scritpura and not perpiscuity. The doctrine of perpiscuity is about the nature of scripture as having the possibility of being read correctly. It by no means implies that anyone who reads it will get it right.

On the other hand, your hypothetical question could relate to the authority of scripture (sola scriptura). Roman Catholics would say that the Bible and Magisterium of the Church are equal in authority and that both are inerrant and infallible. Therefore the Roman Catholic magesterium claims to be the infallible interpreter of scripture. Thus Roman Catholics deny sola scripture as the only infallible authority for faith and practice. Certain Pentacostals might claim that same authority as Rome for themselves because they are under the influence of the HS. My question for the these Pentacostals that claim infallible authority would relate to their infallibility. If they are like the Roman Catholic magesterium when they interpret Romans 9, then they have set up another infallible authority other then the scriptures. So then, just as Rome does not claim sola scriptura, they should not be claiming that the scripture is the only infallibility for faith and practice.

If they admit a chance for error in their claim that the HS revealed to them the correct interpretation of Romans 9, then they can still claim the Bible as the only rule of faith and practice that is inerrant and infallible. (On the other hand, they would have to explain how an HS revelation can produce error. How would the scriptures themselves be inerrant).

Now I would claim that the HS does illumine a person to a correct knowledge of the text. I would not claim that we can be aware of being illumined. The HS does not pain a yellow strip on Romans 9 to let me know that my understanding is illumined. I can only say that "I hope I have been illumined to the correct meaning of Romans 9." I can appeal to the grammar, syntax, and context of the passage. This illumination cannot be felt or known.

It is easier for a Pentacostal to agree with Perpicuity than sola scriptura.

My question for the these Pentacostals that claim infallible authority would relate to their infallibility. If they are like the Roman Catholic magesterium when they interpret Romans 9, then they have set up another infallible authority other then the scriptures. So then, just as Rome does not claim sola scriptura, they should not be claiming that the scripture is the only infallibility for faith and practice.

Although this question is not formally addressed to me, because the quoted function includes the name of another, it may also include the one known as Sparrow for a couple of reasons. One is that it touches upon a subject that is considered "touchy" here. That of the discussion of RCC Doctrine and the history on this forum that includes endless debate which may be known and recalled by members here and may also be taken into consideration as we ponder the meanings of the various concerns documented in the Announcements of our forum.

Another "call" heard by me is that although I do not quite fit the category describes above in a literal sense, because even though the unction of the HS is known (in part) and also witnessed (in part) in me, and by those who read and weigh the words spoken here, and in other places, it too mentions those whom I call friends who go by the term "pentecostal". Of course, I have my differences of opinion, one such would be the aforementioned "inflatabilities" that may be conveyed by the confidence that is rightly in place only upon the author divine if all Holy Spirit inspired words of truth, heard in me and by me, read from the More Sure Word of Prophecy and discussed by those who have declared their affinity under the title, "Pentecostal."

So then, to me, and if I may, the reply comes that we together, may weigh such matters. What man, who testifies of himself may be believed based solely upon his own testimony especially when he or she disregards the well spoken advice, "Let the lips of another praise you" ?

Yes, I say, yes indeed. While I do understand that somethings, like plants, do take time, and that according to wine and grape cultivators of some fame, Ernest and Julio Gallo, "No wine shall be served before its time," I also know in whom I place my trust and know as well whose words mine echo as I petition Him daily, "They have no wine."

I also understand, to one degree or another, the response given, "Woman? What is that to me?" made by the one who was about his father's business, and I think, from the time of the womb as the Holy Spirit signaled to the woman, to her child, to another who was also blessed to become a friend of the bridegroom, that God is on the throne.

It is with great hope that I see your waters, given to you by your roots, sunk down and enjoyed as the very living waters, tasted, tested and found true, with great joy that I see your leaves, green in my sight, offered and containing healing, also provided by that self-same Spirit of truth that inspires wonder in me, that same hope that recalls how roots themselves may intermingle and may break up rocks and boulders unseen - and yes, I do sip this water, offered and blessed and to taste the joy unbounded as my spirit soars to spiritual places that we are drawn to.

Yes indeed. 'Tis true. I have it on great authority. He will cause it to happen.
Hmm perhaps it has just been my experience and knowledge of Church History that leads me to caution against positions like this. I believe anything received ought to be tested, hold to what is good and toss out the rest. I think it ought to be held humbly to, currently I have in mind Martin Luther in his book the Bondage of the Will and how he debates against Erasmus using his inspiration by the Holy Spirit in his interpretation as not just an opinion, but truth itself.

These beliefs when taken to the extreme can create the most crude and vile of dogmatic systems that assure's the person so much of their inspired interpretation that those who differ often take a demonized place.

So when I hear people say, "God told me this is what it means," I don't usually take their word for it as I find it's almost always a fallacious appeal to authority in order to subvert opposing perspectives. I for one would not dare to say such a thing, perhaps at best, "God be willing and gracious, this is the best I can do to understand the text."

It would seem to be that this is an issue potentially closer to sola scritpura and not perpiscuity. The doctrine of perpiscuity is about the nature of scripture as having the possibility of being read correctly. It by no means implies that anyone who reads it will get it right.
While that is true, historically I have found that Protestants (note I am not RCC) use this doctrine over and against the views of the RCC which promulgated the view that Catholic authority was necessary to shed light on difficult Scriptural issues. Perspicuity rather shifts to the individual level saying that this text is able to be read correctly by anyone, though of course with no guarantee that they will be right.

I perhaps take a middle road and say that there should not be some grand authority to which man's interpretation may bow such as a governing Church Body. Nor do I think all of Scripture is completely possible to be understood correctly. Many devoted followers of Jesus have taken the time to deal with various intricate issues and yet have come to differing positions. Therefore, when handling Scripture we should note our inadequacies (which you do) and state that rightly dividing the word of truth has proven to be a difficult business, in response to that we should always temper our views with a high dose of humility.

On the other hand, your hypothetical question could relate to the authority of scripture (sola scriptura). Roman Catholics would say that the Bible and Magisterium of the Church are equal in authority and that both are inerrant and infallible. Therefore the Roman Catholic magesterium claims to be the infallible interpreter of scripture. Thus Roman Catholics deny sola scripture as the only infallible authority for faith and practice. Certain Pentacostals might claim that same authority as Rome for themselves because they are under the influence of the HS. My question for the these Pentacostals that claim infallible authority would relate to their infallibility. If they are like the Roman Catholic magesterium when they interpret Romans 9, then they have set up another infallible authority other then the scriptures. So then, just as Rome does not claim sola scriptura, they should not be claiming that the scripture is the only infallibility for faith and practice.
A common defense of that would be, no they are not infallible, however the Holy Spirit who inspired their interpretation is. This of course would only effectively make their opinion that they were illumined by God unfallsifiable and I suppose in all practical terms infallible in their own mind.

My major concern with positions like these are the fruit that they bear usually resulting in rigidly dogmatic and highly legalistic environments.

If they admit a chance for error in their claim that the HS revealed to them the correct interpretation of Romans 9, then they can still claim the Bible as the only rule of faith and practice that is inerrant and infallible. (On the other hand, they would have to explain how an HS revelation can produce error. How would the scriptures themselves be inerrant).
Indeed a valid point.

Now I would claim that the HS does illumine a person to a correct knowledge of the text. I would not claim that we can be aware of being illumined. The HS does not pain a yellow strip on Romans 9 to let me know that my understanding is illumined. I can only say that "I hope I have been illumined to the correct meaning of Romans 9." I can appeal to the grammar, syntax, and context of the passage. This illumination cannot be felt or known.

It is easier for a Pentacostal to agree with Perpicuity than sola scriptura.
How do you believe this illumination happens? Why would he illumine some and not others?

Hmm perhaps it has just been my experience and knowledge of Church History that leads me to caution against positions like this. I believe anything received ought to be tested, hold to what is good and toss out the rest. I think it ought to be held humbly to, currently I have in mind Martin Luther in his book the Bondage of the Will and how he debates against Erasmus using his inspiration by the Holy Spirit in his interpretation as not just an opinion, but truth itself. These beliefs when taken to the extreme can create the most crude and vile of dogmatic systems that assure's the person so much of their inspired interpretation that those who differ often take a demonized place. So when I hear people say, "God told me this is what it means," I don't usually take their word for it as I find it's almost always a fallacious appeal to authority in order to subvert opposing perspectives. I for one would not dare to say such a thing, perhaps at best, "God be willing and gracious, this is the best I can do to understand the text."

I wish more people really understood this. The claim that an understanding has been rendered by God's Holy Spirit is one that cannot just be accepted without some means of being substantiated. Furthermore, I'd go as far as to say that a person claiming to be Spirit-filled should be taken with a grain of salt unless some proof or objective evidence can be supplied to back such a claim.

I wish more people really understood this. The claim that an understanding has been rendered by God's Holy Spirit is one that cannot just be accepted without some means of being substantiated. Furthermore, I'd go as far as to say that a person claiming to be Spirit-filled should be taken with a grain of salt unless some proof or objective evidence can be supplied to back such a claim.
The irony lies in the fact that the very Scriptures themselves command us to look at a person's fruit and also test what people claim to have come from the Holy Spirit.

Fully in agreement with you that such claims demand further justification beyond their faith position in that it was divinely wrought.

Thank you,
Doulos Iesou

Hmm perhaps...

So you're saying that you will take what you hear with a grain of salt? That is perfectly Col 4:6 of you. No problem here, I would expect nothing less.

The claim that an understanding has been rendered by God's Holy Spirit is one that cannot just be accepted without some means of being substantiated.

I've not made this claim and would refute if it was alleged that I had.

Maybe it was 'Divinely wrought' in a 1 Kings 22:22 kind of way.

Interesting, is it not, how very true it is said that the word of truth is a double-edged sword. I personally believe and have no problem with the understanding that all things that can be shaken shall be shaken. That our faith is rightly placed in the Holy Spirit and in the fact that Jesus, our Lord, shall perform all that He has declared. Time will tell.

I perhaps take a middle road and say that there should not be some grand authority to which man's interpretation may bow such as a governing Church Body.

Except as given by the Holy Spirit. Who is to say that Eph 4:11 was a one time only thing? I dunno. Do you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Reba is trying to say that debates are not allowed in this forum.

Note from the forum, copy pasted:
Strict guidelines will govern this forum where apologetics and theology will be respectfully discussed with adherence to recognized standards of debate. See stickies for details.

eg: I'm pretty certain that debate and disagreement are permitted ; just within very strict guidelines..

The purpose of the forum (as I understand it) is to keep the discussion as focused as possible on exploration of the issue, in a peaceful manner; and to set rules in place that effectively make typical anger based tactics used in the debate forum inoperable. See the stickies... :) esp, this forum attempts to restrict things like ad-hominems, attacking the "ignorance" or character of another poster, etc.

I don't mind when an Idea of mine is destroyed; for I count that as gain. But when charity (grace) is destroyed, we all lose.

You really need to understand what the doctrine of sola scriptura actually means. I have seen you do this in another thread. You assume that the doctrine of sola scriptura teaches that scriptures is the only authority. It does not. It teaches that the scriptures are the only innerrant and infallible authority. These are not supposed to be debate threads, so I am going to leave some of your misunderstandings below without comment.

I merely asked the question; for I didn't understand the reason that sola scriptura was even mentioned in the O.P.
I needed to understand the O.P. to discuss the question properly.
It's not as if I can open the bible to something Paul wrote and read the Latin words ( Sola Scriptura ) = "Only/Solely Scripture".
And another verse which says "perspicuity".... Besides Peter says some things are "hard to understand..." ( and I agree with that! )

I use scripture as a common source of information that we will agree is correct.
I don't deny that there can be authority outside of scripture; eg: for there were apostles that never wrote scripture, but to whom Jesus gave authority.

As I said...
Quote ABSOG: Thank God for the preacher whom God pours the Holy Spirit into their mouth. Peace be with you, and Glory to God this day.

Preachers are good.

However, that's different than, hypothetically, me having to accept an authority with no verifiable claim; and generated in the modern world; that I don't think applies to me -- just because someone claims to have the Holy Spirit.

Now, I asked this question -- as a way to begin exploring whatever it is you said about these people.

Would you happen to have a few links to what these people have actually said; I'm curious and not familiar with most of them in the way you represent them. I had to take college courses, so I'm also wanting to follow up on your initial remark to me here and understand what motivated it in terms of "perspicuity":

eg: I'm pretty certain that debate and disagreement are permitted ; just within very strict guidelines..

The purpose of the forum (as I understand it) is to keep the discussion as focused as possible on exploration of the issue, in a peaceful manner; and to set rules in place that effectively make typical anger based tactics used in the debate forum inoperable. See the stickies... esp, this forum attempts to restrict things like ad-hominems, attacking the "ignorance" or character of another poster, etc.

That's it in a nutshell. Thanks...

Debate and disagreement are permitted and yes, the guidelines are strict. The Mods seek to be consistent during their strict enforcement. It's not just proper font and color choice here in FoS. It's about workmen performing their God given labors side by side. Some "tactics" (seen elsewhere) do nothing more than add to the din. As the noise levels go up and up, so do the Reported Post events. The quality of the board is negatively impacted and this may result in a guest, coming into our home, taking one look and fleeing for their own safety.

Respectful disagreement (I don't like the word debate) is not only allowed --it is encouraged as much as it may be. One of the best things that happen as we come to share our meals is that both sides grow. As long as they don't just dig their trenches deeper, that is. But if there are no more lobbing of ye ol' holy hand-grenades, perhaps we might come out of the trenches and greet each other. Who knows? It's possible that we could, after voluntarily disarming, learn to greet each other with an holy kiss?

No? I didn't think so. But we can move in the direction.

I'm [now] certain that debate and disagreement are permitted; just within very strict guidelines..

:thumbsup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txdd67HAI4Y I do not know Kevin DeYoung, but it seems a good sermon or the clearness or perspicuity of scripture. One thing mentioned at about 21 minutes is that the doctrine is opposed to post-modernism. This is very true.

I was bothered by the sermon; especially the part where Kevin started saying "No. I'm an elephant" (@ a bit after ~57:18 minutes in.)
If an elephant said to a blind man, "I'm an elephant."; the blind man who knows something about 99.9999% of elephants would be justified in saying, "no. It's more likely that DeYoung or [randomly picked former-president George Bush] is being a ventriloquist."

I'm not attracted to sermons by "joke", and I don't see how the false analogies sprinkled in the sermon help.

As I mentioned, it is possible that college was a "postmodern" influence on me; and I don't mind picking that apart and taking a critical look at it -- but watching an apologist trying to argue against post-modernism or pervasive interpretive pluralism by hiding an elephant in plain sight through verbal camouflage; and then insinuating an elephant is "God!"; wow; that really a bit beyond the pale in a totally unrelated direction.

I quit the video near the end because of the martyrdom hype.... eg: I really don't think that whether Tyndale died or not says anything about clearness of scripture; But it says loads about Tyndale's loss of temper in condemning others as beneath his scripture scholar abilities.

I have noticed that one of the most popular tactics of "join my church" apologetic's, is to point to a historical bloodshed of another. And I see that DeYoung is definitely wanting to attract people in a fighting mindset.

I don't see that kind of sermon as very useful in a forum like this one. eg:I mean DeYoung bragging about destroying some upstart church or another, and getting a reward of gummy bears, was ... perhaps a vain point meant to be attractive to a certain age of very young boys.... I'm a bit older than that. What I really noticed is that Conversion of heart was not even mentioned in the anecdote; wasn't even a concern -- just destruction and gummy bears... sigh.

And even if I take it as a joke --- Jokes are a problem; for philosophically, the most common difference between a joke and a lie is that they are both claimed to be jokes in the end, but one of them really wasn't. And I begin wondering who the joke is really aimed at, and for what purpose.

I think the link very unfortunate; as that the video said nothing about the people you mentioned (eg: Marcion, or Origin) ; and what DeYoung did say about the rest of the people in the O.P. was hearsay; no direct quotes even. It was an hour of listening time, too.

So -- I'll ask again, perhaps I wasn't clear; do you have primary source information, or web links, etc. to what some of the people you listed actually said, themselves?

I'm wanting to understand what they said, first hand.

Marcion--- Marcion rejected the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament) as clear. a Few Other church fathers---- Same as Marcion Possibly Origin --- If the scriptures is not clear, allegorical hermeneutical methods are often used. Roman Catholic apologists ---- Many in Roman Catholic theology deny the scriptures is clear and they favor the idea that only the Church can accurately interpret scripture (Pope and Councils). An obvious problem with this is that Church Councils have interpreted only a very small number of verses in the scripture. Another problem, is if the scriptures is not clear and needs Church authority to interpret it, who then will interpret the interpretation of the Church? postmoderns --- I have talked to certain clergy in main demoninational Churches who deny that the Bible can be read by simply understanding the grammar and syntax and context. He suggested that the Bible can have many different and even contradictory messages to different people.

BTW:
I'm happy to admit that the bible has statements of varying difficulty to understand; some of which are graspable by certain people, at certain times, very well.
For Peter said "some" things are hard to understand, he did not "all" things are hard to understand.
But the fact of the matter is that Peter also said: "which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." (2Peter 3:16)

But; in intellectual fairness:
Ultimately DeYoung's great long sermon holds God hostage every bit as much as those making the claim "Can God be put in a box" when he starts his sentence by pure rhetoric: "what kind of God would ..." [communicate obscurely].

I think it's obvious from DeYoungs own quote of Deuteronomy 29:29, that God gives out his secrets sparingly, and not to everyone equally. Since God wants to keep some things secret, then clearly he IS going to communicate obscurely some of the time (on purpose).

Bottom line:
I think DeYong summed up the whole sermon early on: "sort of ironic, we come up with the word perspicuity instead of saying the clarity. Your MDiv's gotta be worth somethin..."

(laughter broke out.... but, I think -- as the proverb goes --- if the shoe fits, wear it.)

It really does look to me like somebody was desperate to turn their B.S. into material for their masters.
So, why bother calling it "perspicuity" if the word really doesn't accurately reflect what the author was trying to describe?
Bait and switch? Advertizement by "superb" thesaurus words?
:dunno
It's not like DeYoung can blame any real authority from Jesus for the invention of that name....

I merely asked the question; for I didn't understand the reason that sola scriptura was even mentioned in the O.P.
I needed to understand the O.P. to discuss the question properly.
It's not as if I can open the bible to something Paul wrote and read the Latin words ( Sola Scriptura ) = "Only/Solely Scripture".
And another verse which says "perspicuity".... Besides Peter says some things are "hard to understand..." ( and I agree with that! )

It is hard to see you as "merely" asking a question. You persistently misrepresent the doctrine of Sola Scriptura when you demand that I have a verse for everything I say. The doctrine of Sola Scriptura does not claim that the Bible answers each and every question on greek grammer, science, etc. Neither do I need to show a verse with a latin phrase (sola Scriptura) to make the claim that the doctrine of sola scriptura is biblical.

I use scripture as a common source of information that we will agree is correct.
I don't deny that there can be authority outside of scripture; eg: for there were apostles that never wrote scripture, but to whom Jesus gave authority.

The doctrine of sola scriptura does not deny the authority of the verbal messages of prophets and apostles. It denies that anyone infallibly and inerrant remembers them after the death of the last apostle.

To say that we "use scripture as a common source of information" is insufficient. That may or may not be the common basis that we have. Mormons use scripture as a source of information alongside their book of Mormon. I am not saying your a Mormon, but it illustrates very different ways in which we look at the authority of scripture.

Now, I asked this question -- as a way to begin exploring whatever it is you said about these people.
So lets just assume that I made wrong statements about two heretics, Marcion and Origen. What is the importance of those assumed incorrect statements? Would that mean to you that the doctrine of perpicuity is wrong?

Would you happen to have a few links to what these people have actually said; I'm curious and not familiar with most of them in the way you represent them. I had to take college courses, so I'm also wanting to follow up on your initial remark to me here and understand what motivated it in terms of "perspicuity":
[/QUOTE]
Well, if your asking my motives for mentioning Marcion and Origen, I probably mentioned the two of them more on their reputation, than actual original research. I will have to admit that I have read only a handful of Church Fathers and I have never bothered reading the original writings of those deemed heretics.

After reading your response, I have wondered if any original writings exist from Origen. The only link I can find is here. http://www.john-uebersax.com/plato/origen2.htm
The link does not take you to any original internet copies of Origen. I think the link looks like books for scholarship in which an interested scholar would purchase the translation of Origen's writings. In asking for links to something involving original sources, you might be asking for something that does not exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txdd67HAI4Y I do not know Kevin DeYoung, but it seems a good sermon or the clearness or perspicuity of scripture. One thing mentioned at about 21 minutes is that the doctrine is opposed to post-modernism. This is very true.

I was bothered by the sermon; especially the part where Kevin started saying "No. I'm an elephant" (@ a bit after ~57:18 minutes in.)
If an elephant said to a blind man, "I'm an elephant."; the blind man who knows something about 99.9999% of elephants would be justified in saying, "no. It's more likely that DeYoung or [randomly picked former-president George Bush] is being a ventriloquist."

I'm not attracted to sermons by "joke", and I don't see how the false analogies sprinkled in the sermon help....................... (snip)..................
It's not like DeYoung can blame any real authority from Jesus for the invention of that name....

I did not see much here that I needed to respond to. You mostly expressed your personal opinions on DeYoung and that you do not like his style, you do not like jokes, you do not like people with theological degrees. OK, fine. The purpose of the link was to assist in defining what is meant by the term Perspicuity of scripture. I did not see anything where DeYoung improperly defined the term.

This is called "Perspicuity of Scripture" that first word is difficult to swallow and then to be able to understand the meaning.. Phew! Charles Spurgeon had a way to address "Perspicuity of Scripture" with the simplicity of scripture. If I'm derailing this thread i apologize, its just that I'm not a smart man and felt like contributing something..

God be thanked for the simplicity of the gospel. The longer I live, the more I bless God that we have not received a classical gospel, nor a mathematical gospel, nor a metaphysical gospel; it is not a gospel confined to scholars and men of genius, but a poor man s gospel, a ploughman's gospel; for that is the kind of gospel which we can live upon and die upon.

It is to us not the luxury of refinement, but the staple food of life.

We want no fine words when the heart is heavy, neither do we need deep problems when we are lying upon the verge of eternity, weak in body and tempted in mind. At such times we magnify the blessed simplicity of the gospel. Jesus in the flesh made manifest becomes our soul's bread. Jesus bleeding on the cross, a substitute for sinners, is our soul's drink. This is the gospel for babes, and strong men want no more.

http://www.gospelweb.net/SpurgeonSermons/simplicityofgospel.htm

tob

It is hard to see you as "merely" asking a question. You persistently misrepresent the doctrine of Sola Scriptura when you demand that I have a verse for everything I say. The doctrine of Sola Scriptura does not claim that the Bible answers each and every question on greek grammer, science, etc. Neither do I need to show a verse with a latin phrase (sola Scriptura) to make the claim that the doctrine of sola scriptura is biblical.

Your response is quite exaggerated.
I have said things explicitly to the contrary of your above characterization of me regarding viable sources of general Greek information which can be obtained outside the bible. When discussing what the Bible means by a particular Greek word, I weight the bible's USE of the word more than those outside of it.

If I choose to do things "solo" scriptura more than "sola scriptura" that's not a crime in a scripture forum ? correct ??

But if you wish to show something is biblical, then ( like I do ) -- I would recommend you show where it is in the bible, and in what particular way (nuance) you mean it.

"sola" scriptura sounds more like a lame excuse to start a fight by exaggeration and "misnomering", than a philosophically sound doctrine. So does arguing for or against infallibility, if you ask me.

The doctrine of sola scriptura does not deny the authority of the verbal messages of prophets and apostles. It denies that anyone infallibly and inerrant remembers them after the death of the last apostle.

Remembers what, the authority -- or the messages?

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

The book of Mark, for example, was not written by an apostle. He is not one of the twelve. ( Matthew 10:2-4, Luke 6:14-16, Acts 1:13 ) Nor for that matter was Luke; for Luke is a historian who learned about Christ after Jesus died.
The Gospel of Mark, as far as I know, was written after Peter died, by a convert to Christianity that Peter taught. ( 1 Peter 5:13 )
Paul and Peter seemed to fight a bit, so perhaps it's a bit of trivia that Paul took his occasional dislike of Peter out on Mark (Acts 15:39), (eg: This Mark/Marcus whom I think took Peter's oral teaching and converted it into a written Gospel.)

To say that we "use scripture as a common source of information" is insufficient. That may or may not be the common basis that we have. Mormons use scripture as a source of information alongside their book of Mormon. I am not saying your a Mormon, but it illustrates very different ways in which we look at the authority of scripture.

Mormons, by sola scriptura, would include a canon of books not listed in the bible that I (and I presume you?) use.
It illustrates my point about this invented "doctrine" / misnomering, perfectly.
I mean explain, why "sola" is even part of the doctrine's name.... "sola scriptura"?
Compare it to the idea "perspicuity" -- is the name "clear" about what it means, or does it vaguely misguide one?

Sanity check:
There is nothing in scripture listing the books which are scriptural and which aren't.
Many bibles come with footnotes, but those aren't scripture, just cause they are in the bible -- and some bibles don't come with new and old testament; but that doesn't mean the O.T. isn't scripture just because all bibles don't have it.
Older bibles (in Greek) don't even have a Kanon (table of contents) ; so the modern "list" of scripture books doesn't come from the apostles who knew Jesus, or even from apostles taught by apostles.

It seems to me, that contrary to what you seem to be saying -- that either the bible must be a fallible listing of infallible books; or else,somebody remembered something after the last of the twelve apostles died. ( And Paul. )

Caution: We have no definition of "infallible"; it's a troll word invented before the internet. It does not actually mean impeccable when studied historically.

So lets just assume that I made wrong statements about two heretics, Marcion and Origen.

First of all, how do you conclude they are heretics? A heretic is someone condemned by church authority. (Heresy is a wrong teaching -- that's different than heretic, which is a person condemned by church authority for stubbornly holding the doctrine even after correction. ).

Origin was a christian who was condemned by some Catholics in the Roman part of the world -- but not all Christian churches did so. That's what puzzles me about your assertion. Do you, then, accept the authority of those in Rome???? ( Origin lived long after the twelve had died. )

In my own reading of Origin, I think a possibility exists that he might have been misinterpreted when his writings were translated from Greek into Latin; and perhaps didn't mean what he was accused of -- although I do understand why people were angry with him.

What is the importance of those assumed incorrect statements? Would that mean to you that the doctrine of perpicuity is wrong?
Well, if your asking my motives for mentioning Marcion and Origen, I probably mentioned the two of them more on their reputation, than actual original research. I will have to admit that I have read only a handful of Church Fathers and I have never bothered reading the original writings of those deemed heretics.

In the O.P. you gave the impression that the doctrine of perspicuity was as old as Origen. Which means, Origen was one factor in the first four hundred years of Christianity which defined the doctrine in some way through controversy. So: I tend to think you have mis-characterised something about the doctrine and it's antiquity by how you discussed these early Chrisitans.

It would mean (at most) that your understanding of the meaning of the doctrine is based more on "gossip" than on certainty, and doesn't lend credibility to the doctrine.

After reading your response, I have wondered if any original writings exist from Origen. The only link I can find is here. http://www.john-uebersax.com/plato/origen2.htm
The link does not take you to any original internet copies of Origen. I think the link looks like books for scholarship in which an interested scholar would purchase the translation of Origen's writings. In asking for links to something involving original sources, you might be asking for something that does not exist.

Links are perhaps hard to find; Origen's works do exist though mostly just in fragments. I have several.

The fragments I have seen from him show him to be a scripture scholar, who was interested in determining the original meaning of the Scripture texts, by comparing various manuscripts. eg: I agree with this site's view of him (fair use, cited -- a two sentence quote:):

In the third century, the great Christian scholar, Origen (184/85–254/55), keenly interested in the textual differences between the Hebrew and the Greek, set out to arrange the Church's Old Testament in six columns: (1) the Hebrew, (2) a Greek transliteration of the Hebrew, (3) Aquila's translation, (4) Symmachus's translation, (5) the Septuagint (LXX), and (6) Theodotion. The volumes were compiled in Caesarea, probably between 230 and 240 CE, a project funded by Origen's patron.
http://www.kalvesmaki.com/lxx/

Origen is probably one of the first to attempt to tackle the problem of the "original" bible manuscripts, whereas Western Christians were content to use either the Greek, or to stick to various Latin translations that had no church's official approbation until a formal translation was made somewhere around 400 A.D.

What Origen tends to prove is that the variations in the Greek were not items which affect the doctrines we argue over today. The Hebrew, however, was changing partially in response to it not being maintained by Christians, but rather by those who were opposed to Christianity. ( Fox guarding the henhouse problem... )

Last edited:
Guys?

We're talking history here, right? There was a bunch of men who presented themselves and their traditions as authoritative sources and encouraged others to be governed by committee. They said that they were the final say and they got to choose who was on the committee too. Not to slam them overmuch though because there was much good that came from them but that's the idea, right? I'm not making this about the RCC or sidetracking this but that's the stage that was set before the Protestant Reformation.

In those times of baby steps there came others who said, "Why do you have such authority?" and they announced that the Bible was the word of God.

Sola scriptura is the teaching that the Bible is the only inspirited and authoritative word of God, is the only source for Christian doctrine, and is accessible to all --thta is, it is perspicuous and self-interpreting.

Saying, "... the Bible ... is the only source for Christian doctrine..." in part denies what the Bible says. There is no apparent contradiction between that and what James said about Masters (teachers) --"Let there be masters few, knowing this--" but when we, as laity who have no special anointing, present ourselves as teachers of doctrine --apart from the Holy Spirit's specific direction-- by giving our oh-so-very sound and reasonable thoughts as teachings... And when we present ourselves at odds with others and insist that what has been revealed to us, our "private interpretation," given to me, me, me is true, true, true?

Well, no teaching should contradict the Bible. That's not to say that we are to abstain from opening up the Scriptures one to another. But when we present ourselves as 'Masters' we also bring a very specific consequence: stricter judgment from God.

Now, this stricter judgment that James mentions? That goes hand-in-hand with the office and calling of a Teacher? God is not unjust, meaning that He will not require more of somebody without giving them more. More light, for instance. A double portion perhaps. And I would like to say that Teachers are given to the Assembly. So this is a gift from God to us, not something that is ours for the purpose of self-aggrandizement. That's where the stricter judgment comes in.

God sees hearts. He responds to our needs and both prepareth and prepares a way. The office of Teacher may be seen as part of the net that is used by the Master Fisherman. He cares for the net first and one may watch His hand move into our lives to pick out the floatsum and jetsum, the little bits that easily entangle and beset us. The Master Fisherman will not cause the Net of Peter (and I just picked one famous fisherman, but there were many; John too, right?) to burst with the 'catch' that is coming and judgment comes first to the House of God. These are simple things. No need for a guy like me to go about proving that God loves us, now is there?

~Sparrow

Last edited:
Guys?
We're talking history here, right?

Yes, history -- where often the truth is stranger than fiction. For man's ability to imagine is limited compared to realities capacity to have more details going on simultaneously than can fit in the human mind at any one moment.
A reflection of this: John 21:25, where the author of history, I think, still creates events even today.

There was a bunch of men who presented themselves and their traditions as authoritative sources and encouraged others to be governed by committee. They said that they were the final say and they got to choose who was on the committee too. Not to slam them overmuch though because there was much good that came from them but that's the idea, right? I'm not making this about the RCC or sidetracking this but that's the stage that was set before the Protestant Reformation.

I suppose we could simply talk about the eastern orthodox, etc. who had no ties to the so called "RCC"; They would serve the purpose of discussion withing the TOS; For I am concerned the reformation is overly focused on the troll word "infallibility"; but the orthodox had split with the west a long time before that word ever came into usage.

In those times of baby steps there came others who said, "Why do you have such authority?" and they announced that the Bible was the word of God.

I don't quite see that. I don't think anyone was denying that the bible was the word of God.

Rather: They were arguing over who had which authorities clearly granted to them and what scripture requires for that authority to be granted. Its not like there weren't church pastors for the 1500 years before the reformation.
Also, don't forget a major stimulus for the reformation was King Henry the VIII. ( A king... who is traditionally anointed specially, who disagreed with those who sealed his power at one time.)

Western Politics and sex, and murder of women, not holiness or anti-eastern orthodox sentiment were the stage of the reformation. History in our country tends to focus on the church King Henry was in conflict with, and ignore the whole rest of the Christian churches that were not involved in that fiasco.

Many of the Orthodox, for example, independent of any Roman claims -- can list their church pastors and each predecessors, who taught them, in an unbroken line all the way back to the time and sending of John the Apostle. Many of them also have the written records of their churches, so it doesn't rely on "tradition" exactly, either. None of these were involved in Luther's 95 theses, that I know of ; nor Ann Boleyn, etc. Perhaps I am overlooking something, but there seem to be "RCC" blinders on when we don't need them....

Talking to an orthodox, the claim is simple; The authority they have was sent from the predecessor to his successor by way of calling, and blessing, and the laying on of hands for the active gift of the Holy Spirit. These are part of a scriptural pattern of being set apart by God for a task of pastoring a flock/church/etc.

Acts 8:18, 1Timothy 4:14, 2Timothy 2:16, Hebrews 6:2, and most of all Acts 13:2-4; For it is upon having hands laid on them that they become "sent" and the word most clearly applies: apo-stle, or as the church through Paul and others saw fit, they also called presbyters, or episcopos, or deacon(s); etc.

Saying, "... the Bible ... is the only source for Christian doctrine..." in part denies what the Bible says. There is no apparent contradiction between that and what James said about Masters (teachers) --"Let there be masters few, knowing this--" but when we, as laity who have no special anointing, present ourselves as teachers of doctrine --apart from the Holy Spirit's specific direction-- by giving our oh-so-very sound and reasonable thoughts as teachings... And when we present ourselves at odds with others and insist that what has been revealed to us, our "private interpretation," given to me, me, me is true, true, true?

Well, no teaching should contradict the Bible. That's not to say that we are to abstain from opening up the Scriptures one to another. But when we present ourselves as 'Masters' we also bring a very specific consequence: stricter judgment from God.

Yes... which is a good reason to avoid being called "teacher"....

Last edited:
Guys?

I don't quite see that. I don't think anyone was denying that the bible was the word of God.

I see that I didn't make myself clear. The idea that I tried to convey was that part the insight that they (those of Protestant Reformation) had (or were given) included the concept that The HS is our teacher and that He supersedes instruction by committee (the church). So if some men came to me and said, "I have been given all authority..." I would only check, "To whom am I speaking, please? Is that YOU, Lord?"

I'm not a papist. I wasn't trying to suggest a strawman here. They didn't say, "[someone] was denying that the bible was the word of God," and I didn't mean to imply such.

Yes... which is a good reason to avoid being called "teacher"....

Speaking of heart matters here. It doesn't matter if somebody is or is not "called" a teacher. The function remains the same just as a rose by any other name still smells as sweet. We may also notice that the Holy Spirit didn't inspire James to say, "Let no man be called 'Teacher" but instead said something to the effect of, "Let there be teacher few, knowing this... (James 3:1)"

Cordially,
Sparrowhawke

Back