Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Peter The Rock

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I don’t see any mention of God choosing in Acts 15….have you written that into your bible?
You need to put your pen away and stop adding bits to your bible. In Acts 15 there is no indication that Peter can make doctrinal decisions on his own. In fact, it is James that renders the judgment, and it appears that the involvement of the whole church was vital. Peter stood up at the start and provided evidence and an opinion (that James used in rendering the judgment).
Yes, the author of 1st Timothy refers to the church as "the pillar and foundation of truth" (1 Tim. 3:15). A few verses earlier, directions were provided for what characteristics an overseer of THAT church must possess. On many occasions and for long periods of time, the Catholic Church totally disregarded these directions when selecting its overseers, and in particular its overseer of Rome. By its conduct the Catholic Church clearly taught that these scriptural directions could be totally disregarded and distanced itself from the “church” that is identified as the pillar and foundation.
agreed, by both the teacher and the taught
well, the proper authority is God and when the leaders are acting within his will then they are acting for that proper authority. Too much freedom (by the congregation) without the necessary humility results in doctrinal chaos. Too much authority (by the leaders) without the necessary humility results in a tyranny…Jesus saw it in the Pharisees where their bad traditions were a burden to God’s children. We can see it in the Catholic Church where the hierarchy has introduced bad traditions and enforced a unity around them. Unity around error is not necessarily the lesser of the two evils.

Acts 15:7

King James Version
7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the

Who did God choose?
By whose mouth must the gentiles hear?

Our traditions are the words that christ taught the apostles, the apostles church don’t need scripture to know the truth, Christ taught them in person for three years, and the apostolic tradition wrote the New Testament and canonized it! Said what is scripture (73 books) and what is not scripture

Thanks

The apostles have authority in their persons not only in what they wrote down, some of them never wrote anything

Are we really just Relying on our own private judgement of scripture?

Instead of Christ the light of the world, and the way, the truth, and the Life!

And Christ and His church are one unity in all truth and grace!

Really we are just believing in our own private fallible judgment!

When Christ established the church to teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation! Matt 28:19

Christians must be taught or instructed by the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church! Lk 1:4
Matt 28:19, Lk 10:16, Jn 20:21
Acts 8:31, Colossians 2:7

Our understanding, study, interpretation, judgment, are all adding to scripture!

Our reason is part of fallen human nature and is defective.
Our holy religion is revealed by God!

Truth known by “hearing” the apostles not the “Bible alone”!

1 John 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

The apostles in person:

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full.

Doctrine of the apostles: acts 2:42

And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Matt 5:14 the apostles are the light of the world until Christ returns in glory!

Apostles are God breathed having the same mission power and authority as Christ Jn 20:1-23 Matt 28:19-20 etc.

Spiritual blindness falls upon all those who reject Christ!

This extends to and includes His church and His revelation!

The Jews rejected (killed) Christ and are in spiritual blindness!

Saul went down to Damascus a Jew and came back a Christian!

He went down in pride and came back in humility!

He went down thinking he was acting righteously and doing the will of God and came back in true righteousness and doing God’s will!

He went down a spiritual tyrant and came back a servant!

He went down in rebellion as a Protestant opposing Christ and His holy church and came back an obedient, faithful, Christian!

Who do you suppose he met on his way down to Damascus?

Martin Luther?

Our traditions are the words that christ taught the apostles, the apostles church don’t need scripture to know the truth,....

the reason Catholic traditions are called traditions are because they aren't found in scripture...the Catholic Church has added to scripture and has insisted that those additions are to be believed. Nothing that you have provided suggests that those additions are divinely inspired.

Who do you suppose he met on his way down to Damascus?

Martin Luther?
Martin Luther was at least trying to follow the person Saul/Paul met (and hoped to reform a very corrupt church)...Also, please note that Saul/Paul didn't meet any Catholic popes either (and a number of them were much more interested in wine, women, power and wealth than in following Jesus). Luther was far from perfect and no where near infallible, but he was a much better successor to the apostles than many of your popes and no more fallible than any one of them..

Our Rock

Genesis 49:24[/b]
But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,...

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock
, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.

Deuteronomy 32:15
Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; filled with food, they became heavy and sleek. They abandoned the God who made them and rejected the Rock their Savior.

Deuteronomy 32:18
You deserted the Rock, who fathered you; you forgot the God who gave you birth.

Deuteronomy 32:30
How could one man chase a thousand, or two put ten thousand to flight, unless their Rock had sold them, unless the Lord had given them up?

Deuteronomy 32:31
For their rock is not like our Rock, as even our enemies concede.

1 Samuel 2:2
“There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:2
He said: “The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer;

2 Samuel 22:3
my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior— from violent people you save me.

2 Samuel 22:32
For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God?

2 Samuel 22:47

“The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior!

2 Samuel 23:3

The God of Israel spoke, the Rock of Israel said to me: ‘When one rules over people in righteousness, when he rules in the fear of God,

Psalm 18:2

The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my Rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 18:31

For who is God besides the Lord? And who is the Rock except our God?

Psalm 18:46

The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God my Savior!

Psalm 19:14

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 28:1

To you, Lord, I call; you are my Rock, do not turn a deaf ear to me. For if you remain silent, I will be like those who go down to the pit.

Psalm 31:2

Turn your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my Rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me.

Psalm 31:3

Since you are my Rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me.

Psalm 42:9

I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?”

Psalm 62:2

Truly he is my Rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

Psalm 62:6

Truly he is my Rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

Psalm 62:7

My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty Rock, my refuge.

Psalm 71:3

Be my Rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my Rock and my fortress.

Psalm 78:35

They remembered that God was their Rock, that God Most High was their Redeemer.

Psalm 89:26

He will call out to me, ‘You are my Father, my God, the Rock my Savior.’

Psalm 92:15

proclaiming, “The Lord is upright; he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”

Psalm 94:22

But the Lord has become my fortress, and my God the Rock in whom I take refuge.

Psalm 95:1

Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.

Psalm 144:1

Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Isaiah 17:10

You have forgotten God your Savior; you have not remembered the Rock, your fortress. Therefore, though you set out the finest plants and plant imported vines,...

Isaiah 26:4

Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.

Isaiah 30:29

And you will sing as on the night you celebrate a holy festival; your hearts will rejoice as when people playing pipes go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the Rock of Israel.

Isaiah 44:8

Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.”

Isaiah 51:1

“Listen to me, you who pursue righteousness and who seek the Lord: Look to the Rock from which you were cut and to the quarry from which you were hewn;

Habakkuk 1:12

Lord, are you not from everlasting? My God, my Holy One, you will never die. You, Lord, have appointed them to execute judgment; you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.

It was abundantly clear to Yahshua that Yahwah is the Foundation Rock.
Of course you are correct. Jesus is the only Rock we need.

the reason Catholic traditions are called traditions are because they aren't found in scripture...the Catholic Church has added to scripture and has insisted that those additions are to be believed. Nothing that you have provided suggests that those additions are divinely inspired.
Yes...this is tragic. Many are deceived by these fabricated traditions. They remain in the dark.

Of course you are correct. Jesus is the only Rock we need.
(The Lord) is Yahwah, our Father, the Holy Spirit.

Yahshua is the STONE that the builder rejected.

Stone
Zechariah 3:9
See, the stone I have set in front of Joshua! There are seven eyes on that one stone, and I will engrave an inscription on it,' says the LORD Almighty, 'and I will remove the sin of this land in a single day.

Matthew 21:42
Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the Scriptures: " 'The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone ; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes' ?

Matthew 21:44
He who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed."

Mark 12:10
Haven't you read this scripture: " 'The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone ;

Luke 20:17
Jesus looked directly at them and asked, "Then what is the meaning of that which is written: " 'The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone ' ?

Luke 20:18
Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed."

Acts 4:11
He is " 'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone. '

Romans 9:33
As it is written: "See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes men to stumble and a stone that makes them fall, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame."

1 Peter 2:4
[ The Living Stone and a Chosen People ] As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him—

1 Peter 2:6
For in Scripture it says: "See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame."

1 Peter 2:7
Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, "The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone, "

1 Peter 2:8
and, "A stone that causes men to stumble and a stone that makes them fall." They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.

Daniel 2:34
While you were watching, a stone was cut out, but not by human hands. It struck the statue on its feet of iron and clay and smashed them.

This comment in 1 Corinthians 10:4 is not found in Old Testament scriptures.
1 Corinthians 10:4
and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that Rock was Christ.

WYC
and all drank the same spiritual drink; and they drank of the spiritual stone following them [forsooth they drank of the spiritual stone following them]; and the stone was Christ.

Stone is formed from rock
A rock is large and a stone is small. Stone is formed from a rock. There is one bible that uses stone. Also the Old Testament says that Yahwah is The Rock.

You are trying so hard to find apostolic succession in the New Testament, but just it isn’t in there. A Catholic scholar studied the matter and offered this conclusion: "One conclusion seems obvious: Neither the New Testament nor early Christian history offers support for a notion of apostolic succession as 'an unbroken line of episcopal ordination from Christ through the apostles down through the centuries to the bishops of today.' Clearly, such a simplistic approach to the problem will not do." (Francis A. Sullivan, S.J., From Apostles to Bishops: The Development of the Episcopacy in the Early Church, Mahwah, NJ: Newman Press, 2001, 15-16.)

Now to be clear, Sullivan believes in Apostolic Succession, but he felt forced to admit it was a later development.

Nothing from the early church history?
The following is from the first two centuries.

The Didache, possibly as early as 70AD:
"Elect for yourselves, therefore, bishops and deacons worthy of the Lord, humble men and not lovers of money, truthful and proven; for they also serve you in the ministry of the prophets and teachers. Do not, therefore, despise them for they are honorable men." (15:1 [A.D. 140, possibly as early at A.D. 70]).

Pope Clement writing to the Corinthians in about AD 80:
"Our apostles knew through our Lord Jesus Christ that there would be strife for the office of bishop. For this reason, therefore, having received perfect foreknowledge, they appointed those who have already been mentioned, and afterwards added the further provision that, if they should die, other approved men should succeed to their ministry."

Ignatius of Antioch
"Take care to do all things in harmony with God, with the bishop presiding in the place of God and with the presbyters in the place of the council of the apostles, and with the deacons, who are most dear to me." (Epistle to the Magnesians 6:1 [A.D. 110]).

Ignatius of Antioch
"Take care, therefore, to be confirmed in the decrees of the Lord and of the apostles, in order that in everything you do, you may prosper in body and soul, in faith and love, in Son and in Father and in Spirit, in beginning and in end, together with your most reverend bishop; and with that fittingly woven spiritual crown, the presbytery; and with the deacons, men of God. Be subject to the bishop and to one another, as Jesus Christ was subject to the Father, and the apostles were subject to Christ and to the Father, so that there may be unity in both body and spirit" (Epistle to the Magnesians 13:1-2 [A.D. 110]).

Irenaeus
"It is necessary to obey those who are the presbyters in the Church, those who, as we have shown, have succession from the apostles; those who have received, with the succession of the episcopate, the sure charism of truth according to the good pleasure of the Father. But the rest, who have no part in the primitive succession and assemble wheresoever they will, must be held in suspicion" (Against Heresies 4:26 [A.D. 180]).

Here is another good quote from Irenaeus in Against Heresies. Note particularly where I have emboldened the text.
"But since it would be too long to enumerate in such a volume as this the succession of all the churches, we shall confound all those who, in whatever manner, whether through self-satisfaction or vainglory, or through blindness and wicked opinion, assemble other than where it is proper, by pointing out here the successions of the bishops of the greatest and most ancient church known to all, founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul, that church which has the tradition and the faith which comes down to us after having been announced to men by the apostles. With that church, because of its superior origin, all the churches must agree, that is, all the faithful in the whole world, and it is in her that the faithful everywhere have maintained the apostolic tradition" (Against Heresies 3:3:2

The blessed apostles, then, having founded and built up the Church, committed into the hands of Linus the office of the episcopate. Of this Linus, Paul makes mention in the Epistles to Timothy. To him succeeded Anacletus; and after him, in the third place from the apostles, Clement was allotted the bishopric…..To this Clement there succeeded Evaristus. Alexander followed Evaristus; then, sixth from the apostles, Sixtus was appointed; after him, Telephorus, who was gloriously martyred; then Hyginus; after him, Pius; then after him, Anicetus. Soter having succeeded Anicetus, Eleutherius does now, in the twelfth place from the apostles, hold the inheritance of the episcopate. In this order, and by this succession, the ecclesiastical tradition from the apostles, and the preaching of the truth, have come down to us. And this is most abundant proof that there is one and the same vivifying faith, which has been preserved in the Church from the apostles until now, and handed down in truth. (Against Heresies 3:3:3[A.D. 189])

There is a difference between Sacred Tradition, shortened to Tradition with a capital "T", and tradition with a small "t". When Catholics refer to Tradition (with a capital "T") they do not mean those human customs and practices that arise and may change or disappear over time but to that apostolic teaching which has been passed on orally.

Protestants tend to regard Tradition as some dubious add on to the Bible. But as all teaching was initially oral it is more correct to see the Bible as a product of Tradition.

Paul wrote "So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth [Tradition] or by letter [Scripture]." (2Thess 2:15).

Nothing from the early church history?

Thank you for your response. Please remember that when Sullivan is considering the form of apostolic succession advanced by Catholicism, he is talking about a simplistic form that possesses these 2 main features:

• A succession of monarchical bishops
  • That go all the way back to an apostle (Peter in the case of the bishop of Rome)
I should mention that Sullivan is very aware of the early church fathers that you cited and the particular passages that you produced. Chapter 5 deals with the Didache and 1st Clement. Chapter 6 deals with Ignatius and Chapter 8 covers Irenaeus and Tertullian.

The Didache, possibly as early as 70AD:

"Elect for yourselves, therefore, bishops and deacons worthy of the Lord, humble men and not lovers of money,….
having the assembly elect overseers and deacons for itself is something that a Protestant congregation could do and does not need to involve apostolic succession in any way. Also, “bishops” is in the plural.

Pope Clement writing to the Corinthians in about AD 80:

"Our apostles knew through our Lord Jesus Christ that there would be strife for the office of bishop. For this reason, therefore, having received perfect foreknowledge, they appointed those who have already been mentioned, and afterwards added the further provision that, if they should die, other approved men should succeed to their ministry."

You list this as being from “Pope” Clement, but it is now understood that Clement probably served as a sort of secretary for the Roman church. See the Shepherd of Hermas (8.3 = vis. 2.4.3) There a Clement is mentioned who has the job of a secretary. Further, when the Church of Rome sent this Epistle (1st Clement) to Corinth, the letter described the church at Corinth as being governed by a group of presbyters. There is no suggestion at all that Rome was any different…the author (Clement) never spoke for himself but wrote on behalf of the entire church at Rome. As such, it appears that Clement wasn’t a pope, but was one of several presbyters who acted as the leaders of that church. The author of the epistle never claims anything approaching papal authority.

Finally, Clement uses 4 terms to describe the leaders of a church…all in the plural every time. As such, although 1st Clement contemplates a succession of church leaders from the apostles, the successors for a church would be a group of presbyters and not a monarchical bishop. Main feature #1 (above) is therefore missing from 1st Clement.

Ignatius of Antioch

"Take care to do all things in harmony with God, with the bishop presiding in the place of God and with the presbyters in the place of the council of the apostles, and with the deacons, who are most dear to me." (Epistle to the Magnesians 6:1 [A.D. 110]).

It is clear that Ignatius was very concerned about stressing the importance of obedience to the bishop. Two things regarding that: First, Ignatius never once urges obedience on the basis that the bishop was the successor of the apostles, even though such a basis would be extremely useful for his purpose. Second, he never stresses obedience to the bishop in the letter to the Romans even though obedience to the bishop of Rome would be of even greater importance, if that bishop was, in fact, also the pope. So in Ignatius, although one can find the first feature (monarchical bishop) one does not find the idea that the bishop derived his authority via apostolic succession. Rather the bishop received his authority directly from God (Sullivan p. 125)

So then, Clement is missing the first feature and Ignatius is missing the second feature, but by the time of Irenaeus both features are present. That the concept is present around 185 AD, however, is not sufficient to establish apostolic succession as 'an unbroken line of episcopal ordination from Christ through the apostles down through the centuries to the bishops of today.'

Thank you for your response. Please remember that when Sullivan is considering the form of apostolic succession advanced by Catholicism, he is talking about a simplistic form that possesses these 2 main features:

• A succession of monarchical bishops
  • That go all the way back to an apostle (Peter in the case of the bishop of Rome)
I should mention that Sullivan is very aware of the early church fathers that you cited and the particular passages that you produced. Chapter 5 deals with the Didache and 1st Clement. Chapter 6 deals with Ignatius and Chapter 8 covers Irenaeus and Tertullian.

having the assembly elect overseers and deacons for itself is something that a Protestant congregation could do and does not need to involve apostolic succession in any way. Also, “bishops” is in the plural.

You list this as being from “Pope” Clement, but it is now understood that Clement probably served as a sort of secretary for the Roman church. See the Shepherd of Hermas (8.3 = vis. 2.4.3) There a Clement is mentioned who has the job of a secretary. Further, when the Church of Rome sent this Epistle (1st Clement) to Corinth, the letter described the church at Corinth as being governed by a group of presbyters. There is no suggestion at all that Rome was any different…the author (Clement) never spoke for himself but wrote on behalf of the entire church at Rome. As such, it appears that Clement wasn’t a pope, but was one of several presbyters who acted as the leaders of that church. The author of the epistle never claims anything approaching papal authority.

Finally, Clement uses 4 terms to describe the leaders of a church…all in the plural every time. As such, although 1st Clement contemplates a succession of church leaders from the apostles, the successors for a church would be a group of presbyters and not a monarchical bishop. Main feature #1 (above) is therefore missing from 1st Clement.

It is clear that Ignatius was very concerned about stressing the importance of obedience to the bishop. Two things regarding that: First, Ignatius never once urges obedience on the basis that the bishop was the successor of the apostles, even though such a basis would be extremely useful for his purpose. Second, he never stresses obedience to the bishop in the letter to the Romans even though obedience to the bishop of Rome would be of even greater importance, if that bishop was, in fact, also the pope. So in Ignatius, although one can find the first feature (monarchical bishop) one does not find the idea that the bishop derived his authority via apostolic succession. Rather the bishop received his authority directly from God (Sullivan p. 125)

So then, Clement is missing the first feature and Ignatius is missing the second feature, but by the time of Irenaeus both features are present. That the concept is present around 185 AD, however, is not sufficient to establish apostolic succession as 'an unbroken line of episcopal ordination from Christ through the apostles down through the centuries to the bishops of today.'
Interesting but I'm not going to pursue this any further here for two reasons:

1. This thread is about Peter the Rock not apostolic succession or a monarchical Papacy. I should have stopped this earlier. Taking off into different topics is why threads go on and on, sometimes to hundreds of posts.

2. There are really two distinct topics here - apostolic succession in general (including that of bishops) and the monarchical Papacy.

I would be happy to discuss them, particularly the latter, in separate threads. Doing that would also alert others who may wish to enter the discussion.

Interesting but I'm not going to pursue this any further here for two reasons:

1. This thread is about Peter the Rock not apostolic succession or a monarchical Papacy. I should have stopped this earlier. Taking off into different topics is why threads go on and on, sometimes to hundreds of posts.

2. There are really two distinct topics here - apostolic succession in general (including that of bishops) and the monarchical Papacy.

I would be happy to discuss them, particularly the latter, in separate threads. Doing that would also alert others who may wish to enter the discussion.
thanks, I will watch for you to initiate a thread

Martin Luther was at least trying to follow the person Saul/Paul met (and hoped to reform a very corrupt church)...Also, please note that Saul/Paul didn't meet any Catholic popes either (and a number of them were much more interested in wine, women, power and wealth than in following Jesus). Luther was far from perfect and no where near infallible, but he was a much better successor to the apostles than many of your popes and no more fallible than any one of them..
Really an excommunicated heretic and Rosicrucian occultist?

I suppose it’s my fault, I know I’m not the brightest bulb in the drawer, not an apologist or pastor or teacher!

Acts 15:7 God made choice referring to mat 16:18

Thanks

I would have placed the importance in Jesus's identity. Who do you say that I am was His query.
The Christ the Son of the living God and on that truth, I believe Jesus used for His foundation not Peter.

Back