Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Physics

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
E

elijah23

It is it possible for the Lord to suspend the laws of physics for periods of time, or must he always abide by them?

he can, but if he did it how would he then have creation point to him as the order of the universe and the laws of physics point toward someone that created it.

jasoncran said:
he can, but if he did it how would he then have creation point to him as the order of the universe and the laws of physics point toward someone that created it.
If a miracle is needed, the laws of physics might need to be bent a bit, perhaps. I believe in miracles.

first define what the laws of physics are

did you pray for the sun to cease something like that

i do believe in healings but those dont affect the universe on a grand scale

if gravity were to stop then that would be something like that.

jasoncran said:
first define what the laws of physics are

did you pray for the sun to cease something like that

i do believe in healings but those dont affect the universe on a grand scale

if gravity were to stop then that would be something like that.
There is nothing the Lord can’t do. We need to understand that, even if it seems an overly simple idea. We need to have complete faith in the Lord.

If a miracle were needed that would affect the universe on a grand scale, I believe the Lord would perform that miracle.

I was hoping Physicist would bite on this topic.

an athiest wont recieve that. i was wondering where you going with this

i dont think the lord always heals miracously though he can.

some miracles arent miracles but rather miraclous deliverances. you need money
you pray and the person whom the lord sends gives you what you need. is that a miracle of the violate the laws of universe, no

but it is one none the less

jasoncran said:
Brilliant point! :shades

jasoncran said:
an athiest wont recieve that. i was wondering where you going with this

i dont think the lord always heals miracously though he can.

some miracles arent miracles but rather miraclous deliverances. you need money
you pray and the person whom the lord sends gives you what you need. is that a miracle of the violate the laws of universe, no

but it is one none the less
Like I said, I was hoping to get Physicist to bite on this. Is he an atheist?

Otherwise, my point would be the same as another topic I just started—that the Lord can do anything. I seem to be running into a lot of people who doubt that. If we doubt the ability of the Lord to do anything he chooses to do, then our whole theology becomes skewed, doesn’t it?

I'd say walking on water qualifies as changing the laws of physics. Stopping the sun in mid-day so Joshua can win a battle, Jos. 10:12...
The laws of physics don't apply to God or God's will, these laws OBEY Him.
Physicist sure appears to be atheist, which makes sense since he thinks the laws of physics can't be altered.
Parting the Red sea, holding up the river Jordon.
Bottom line: You have to be a true believer to recognize that God is Almighty and has control over all things.
How about resurrection? Physics or Faith?

Andrew said:
I'd say walking on water qualifies as changing the laws of physics. Stopping the sun in mid-day so Joshua can win a battle, Jos. 10:12...
Physicist sure appears to be atheist, which makes sense since he thinks the laws of physics can't be altered.
Bottom line: You have to be a true believer to recognize that God is Almighty and has control over all things.
yes, but how many times did the lord do that. a few.

actually the laws dont obey him. rather he set the nature of the universe on them and maintains the order by them.

if the Lord did that every day all day(on a grand scale) , the verses on the creation pointed towarding him and him being a God of order wouldnt apply.

Andrew said:
I can’t think how the laws of physics would allow a resurrection. I would call the resurrection a "spiritual" event, I think.

I would say miracles occur when God introduces another cause that wasn't there previously. I don't think he actually breaks physical laws or constants to achieve a desired result. For example, stopping the sun in the sky could be achieved by stopping or slowing the rotation of the earth from which one perceives the sun. True, that would take a lot of force to do. I've been told the earthquake in Haiti slowed the rotation of the earth by a millisecond, and that was a lot of force. I'm just saying that stopping the sun does not mean that God bent the laws of physics, he simply introduced a new cause or event that still worked within the laws of physics to do it.

izzy said:
I would say miracles occur when God introduces another cause that wasn't there previously. I don't think he actually breaks physical laws or constants to achieve a desired result. For example, stopping the sun in the sky could be achieved by stopping or slowing the rotation of the earth from which one perceives the sun. True, that would take a lot of force to do. I've been told the earthquake in Haiti slowed the rotation of the earth by a millisecond, and that was a lot of force. I'm just saying that stopping the sun does not mean that God bent the laws of physics, he simply introduced a new cause or event that still worked within the laws of physics to do it.
that is the way i see things. btw if he did this all the time how would we tell time or anything else that needs the physical laws to operate.

A good question to ask here would be: do the laws of physics
a) force the universe to behave in a particular way? or
b) describe the way the universe actually behaves?

logical bob said:
b

izzy said:
The Lord created the laws of physics. He can suspend them anytime he wishes. Perhaps he can achieve what he needs to achieve without suspending those laws, but there is nothing the Lord can’t do.

logical bob said:
Before one can answer that question, perhaps we need to know if matter really exists or if it is just an illusion. After all, the atom is mostly empty space, isn’t it?

elijah23 said:
logical bob said:
Before one can answer that question, perhaps we need to know if matter really exists or if it is just an illusion. After all, the atom is mostly empty space, isn’t it?
Yes, the atom is mostly empty space, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Whatever the nature of matter, or whether there is such a thing as matter at all, there is a regularity in our experience. Every morning we experience sunrise and the time it happens can be calculated precisely years in advance. So the question remains, do the laws of physics cause this regularity or describe it?

elijah23 said:
The Lord created the laws of physics. He can suspend them anytime he wishes.
If you say that, you're going for the first option.

logical bob said:
elijah23 said:
[quote="logical bob":3vdpc88h]A good question to ask here would be: do the laws of physics
Yes, the atom is mostly empty space, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Whatever the nature of matter, or whether there is such a thing as matter at all, there is a regularity in our experience. Every morning we experience sunrise and the time it happens can be calculated precisely years in advance. So the question remains, do the laws of physics cause this regularity or describe it?

elijah23 said:
The Lord created the laws of physics. He can suspend them anytime he wishes.
If you say that, you're going for the first option.[/quote:3vdpc88h]
Did the Lord create laws of physics and then just sit back and watch them work, interfering only when he sees fit, or does he himself cause everything to happen?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back